Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2010, 17:34   #181
Senior - BHPian

Some highway etiquettes which people miss. Basically from long experience of driving on highways. I'm not sure how many of you'll would agree with these, how I've followed/noticed these on the highways.

1. If there's a car stuck behind a slow moving lorry overtaking another slow moving vehicle, do not honk. The carwallah cannot do anything about it. The lorry will overtake before it gives way, so honking unneccesarily or flashing your lights will achieve nothing except pissing off the carwallah and probably the lorry driver!!

2. If you are stuck in such a situation especially during the night, dip your lights. I go into foglight mode and cut my headlights off. The car/lorry in front will thank you for it

3. If you are being approached rapidly from behind by a faster moving vehicle, just give him way. He's caught up with you and will leave you behind. Do not try to race or block him.

4. One nice etiquette I've noticed with certain vehicles is they'll allow me to pass them and as I pass them I hit two short bursts with the horn, basically thanking them for giving way and some of them respond back. Its a nice thing to happen on the highway but not many do it. Has anyone done/noticed this?

5. Another nice etiquette is to flash the headlights during the day rather than honking incessantly. Gets noticed earlier and doesn't provoke strong reactions from the guy being overtaken.

6. Being courteous to the toll plaza guys is a nice thing to do. They are not taking your money, they are just doing a job and its nice if someone smiles at them. Same goes for the checkpost wallahs. A nice smile, a big thanks works wonders than tipping them (though not always)
Old 11th March 2010, 18:04   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
One nice etiquette I've noticed with certain vehicles is they'll allow me to pass them and as I pass them I hit two short bursts with the horn, basically thanking them for giving way and some of them respond back. Its a nice thing to happen on the highway but not many do it. Has anyone done/noticed this?
Well, honking while overtaking is of two types.

1) Your continuous honk is equal to asking(or rather pleading) him to slow down since you are very sure of going head on with an oncoming vehicle.

2) That 2 short mild honk is actually a thanks. You may get a honk bank in reply.

Quote:
Same goes for the check post wallahs. A nice smile, a big thanks works wonders than tipping them (though not always)
Why sir, why... check post guys always mean business and smiling at them for courtesy is totally unwarranted

Last edited by ramzsys : 11th March 2010 at 18:06.
Old 11th March 2010, 18:05   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Even if some one races or cuts lanes or drives rashly, all they would achieve is end up waiting more at the next signal.
Exactly Sbraj,

I noticed this couple of times :-)

Quote:

1. If there's a car stuck behind a slow moving lorry overtaking another slow moving vehicle, do not honk. The carwallah cannot do anything about it. The lorry will overtake before it gives way, so honking unneccesarily or flashing your lights will achieve nothing except pissing off the carwallah and probably the lorry driver!!

2. If you are stuck in such a situation especially during the night, dip your lights. I go into foglight mode and cut my headlights off. The car/lorry in front will thank you for it

3. If you are being approached rapidly from behind by a faster moving vehicle, just give him way. He's caught up with you and will leave you behind. Do not try to race or block him.

4. One nice etiquette I've noticed with certain vehicles is they'll allow me to pass them and as I pass them I hit two short bursts with the horn, basically thanking them for giving way and some of them respond back. Its a nice thing to happen on the highway but not many do it. Has anyone done/noticed this?

5. Another nice etiquette is to flash the headlights during the day rather than honking incessantly. Gets noticed earlier and doesn't provoke strong reactions from the guy being overtaken.

6. Being courteous to the toll plaza guys is a nice thing to do. They are not taking your money, they are just doing a job and its nice if someone smiles at them. Same goes for the checkpost wallahs. A nice smile, a big thanks works wonders than tipping them (though not always)
csentil,

Nice points, I follow 1,2 and 3 and the rest seems interesting.

Thanks,
Srini...
Old 12th March 2010, 10:07   #184
BHPian

Quote:
I agree, it is a good gesture and I have done it many a times. But the driver of the vehicle you are overtaking may not understand this gesture and may felt offended.

It is good to share the experiences and etiquette, but what we can do to increase the awareness? I believe, we need to spread the awareness to more and more people including TeamBHPians
Old 12th March 2010, 10:38   #185
BHPian

Quote:
oh thats what it means - it happened to me few times and I thought they are saying somethings wrong with my car
Old 12th March 2010, 10:44   #186
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen I notice a lot of you seem to have imbibed habits that internationally have just the opposite connotation.

1. The use of horns invariably is to express displeasure. Whether its a continous blare or short bursts it invariably indicates your displeasure.

2. A turn signal is just what it is, a turn signal, and not a signal for others to pass. Its absurd how people in India are adapting this to imply a car behind may pass

Please bear in mind that its not a question of freedom of interpretation. This misinterpretation of widely accepted norms of behaviour across the planet can only jeopardise your safety. Please follow what is common across the globe so we all get into the habit of driving safely, regardless of where we drive

Last edited by DKG : 12th March 2010 at 10:53.
Old 12th March 2010, 10:58   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
A turn signal is just what it is, a turn signal, and not a signal for others to pass. Its absurd how people in India are adapting this to imply a car behind may pass
This has now become a standard practice. If not this, what do you suggest we do, to let the other guy know that it is okay to pass.
Old 12th March 2010, 11:01   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
This has now become a standard practice. If not this, what do you suggest we do, to let the other guy know that it is okay to pass.
Why not use the hand signal?
Old 12th March 2010, 11:04   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Why not use the hand signal?

Well that is too much work. Who will roll down the windows and then use the hand signal.
Old 12th March 2010, 11:47   #190
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
Technically when you move aside into the left lane leaving the right lane free that in itself is an indication that the guy behind may pass. There's no reason for additional signs that he may pass.

Problem is you have morons who swerve into the right lane without notice leading to this situation where a guy behind actually wants a visible sign from you that you have no intentions of swerving to the right. One wrong being corrected by another wrong

Simply drive in left lane always. The right lane is never meant for driving, only for passing.
Old 12th March 2010, 14:43   #191
Senior - BHPian

And what do you propose as a solution on two lane un-divided highways sir?

I do however completely agree with your point on horns.

Best Regards.
Old 12th March 2010, 14:52   #192
BHPian

well from what I have seen in other countries

1) always stick to the left lane - move to right lane only to overtake a slower vehicle and then get back into left lane. All this with a lot of indicators and precaution.
2) no use of horns - only time I hear horn is when the car is remote locked (horn sounds once or twice)
3) dipping of lights from low to high and back is a courtesy to let the other car pass - quite unlike here where 2 cars are in a dipping war to decide who goes first!!
Old 12th March 2010, 14:58   #193
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
And what do you propose as a solution on two lane un-divided highways sir?
Wait till you have a straight enough road with visibility atleast a kilometer away and then overtake.

I have stayed behind trucks on such roads for kms together. I have seen other people overtake with a lot of risk which ultimately saves them a few seconds.

Example in South: The Coimbatore to Vellore road. I have seen so many fatal accidents on this stretch where a little bit of patience was all that was needed.
Old 12th March 2010, 15:30   #194
Senior - BHPian

Oops, I did not get my point across.

I do not recommend peeking out and sneaking through at all.
However safe and correct your method is, I do believe it isn't very practical to keep driving at 50kmph behind a truck for a long time (two reasons being the risk of lulling into a false sense of security while following another vehicle, and the wastage of time).
In such a case, the use of the right turn indicators by the truck driver to signal a free path of overtaking is IMHO the best way out.

Regards.
Old 12th March 2010, 15:57   #195
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
I do not recommend peeking out and sneaking through at all.
You dont need to sneak or peek. Keep a good distance between you and the vehicle infront to see farther away.

One doesnt have to stick to vehicle bumper.

Quote:
However safe and correct your method is, I do believe it isn't very practical to keep driving at 50kmph behind a truck for a long time (two reasons being the risk of lulling into a false sense of security while following another vehicle, and the wastage of time).
False sense of security following a truck (90% of whom dont have working rear lights or indicators)? Like above I keep a good distance between me and the vehicle infront at all times on the highway. In the city its different.

About time, I will do 50kmph whole day for 600 kms if need to, if the alternate is risking my life trying to overtake.

Quote:
In such a case, the use of the right turn indicators by the truck driver to signal a free path of overtaking is IMHO the best way out.
Not long back I saw a Verna T-bone a truck. The entire engine comparment going below the center of the truck. The truck was taking a right turn probably a U turn with right indicator flashing coming in to turn from the center lane as they have a big turning radius.

The Verna guy probably thought the indicator was for him to overtake.

I am in India man. Here life has no worth, neither will I get timely medical help. I prefer to reach my destination a bit late. Like they say better late then never.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks