Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2009, 20:37   #91
BHPian

Oh. India. The land of superstitious, and rumors, and fake godly beliefs.

I own Swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
That says you have never driven it.
Typically, most people who like Swift, have owned worse car previously, or it is their first car. For example M800 owner will love Swift because 800 is worse than Swift. They are not able to differentiate between better quality product, because they have never owned one or driven one.
Old 19th November 2009, 20:55   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Regardless, Swift has been a terrible car in terms of rattles, g13 engine refinement, and harsh suspension.
The G13 engine you are talking about is one great motor IMO. Even today, the modern sedans will be eating Swift's dust. The engine has got fantastic punch after 3000 rpm. Although engine noise is on higher side, the engine cannot be called rough. The engine is noisy, but loves to revv and performs very well on highways.

The suspesnion is not very harsh, we can call that its on stiffer side. The positive point is handing and high speed stability. There is not a signle car as fun to drive as Swift in that segment. If a car has got handling and ride, they lose on performance. If they have got performance, they loes on FE.

Swift represent best combination of many factors. G13 is the motor that made swift successful and with a good driver, can beat many of modern sedans. Ritz's 1.2 is more refined ( less noisy and more silky ), but its a tad too small to give Swift as good performance as G13. The top end punch made Swift an entertaning drive and coupled with nice handling, it was a drive with a smile.

EDIT : We have Baleno and Maruti 800. Have driven swift over highways and cities to villages. Many have bought Swift on my recommendation.
Old 19th November 2009, 23:40   #93
BANNED

Quote:
Regardless, Swift has been a terrible car in terms of rattles, g13 engine refinement, and harsh suspension.
Quote:
Typically, most people who like Swift, have owned worse car previously, or it is their first car. For example M800 owner will love Swift because 800 is worse than Swift. They are not able to differentiate between better quality product, because they have never owned one or driven one.

Reminds me of the comparison between Swift and Santro that Hyundai made when Swift was launched
(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ion-swift.html)!

For the price level that Swift comes, it is a very good product. And they are not charging a huge premium for it - unlike Honda who charges exorbitant premium prices for Jazz, tries to loot the common Indians, and fails miserably.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 19th November 2009 at 23:42.
Old 20th November 2009, 10:26   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
The swift does not qualify for the excise duty since its more than 1200 cc engine. The small car norms are for cars less that 4m long and engine capacities less than 1200 cc for petrol and 1500 cc for diesel! So it does not matter!
@mtnrajdeep
What I meant was, if they use the 1197 cc K12M engine that currently drives the Ritz petrol, in the Swift, then the Swift (petrol) will also come under the 8% excise bracket unlike the higher bracket (12% I believe, not sure) in which it is in currently. Hence they should be able to price the Swift more competitively unless they don't want to pass on the benefit of the excise duty reduction to the customers. If the push down the Swift prices, the Ritz in in for some serious trouble.The diesel variant is already under the 8% slab so don't expect any downward revision of prices here.

The "1299 cc" was a typo and should have read as "1199 cc".
Old 20th November 2009, 10:27   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The G13 engine you are talking about is one great motor IMO. Even today, the modern sedans will be eating Swift's dust. The engine has got fantastic punch after 3000 rpm. Although engine noise is on higher side, the engine cannot be called rough. The engine is noisy, but loves to revv and performs very well on highways.

Swift represent best combination of many factors. G13 is the motor that made swift successful and with a good driver, can beat many of modern sedans. Ritz's 1.2 is more refined ( less noisy and more silky ), but its a tad too small to give Swift as good performance as G13. The top end punch made Swift an entertaning drive and coupled with nice handling, it was a drive with a smile.
+1 to aaggoswami, The G13BB motor is a fantastic highway cruiser, it has a lot of grunt on higher RPM's and it is Fuel Efficient too, in a recent trip to Lonavala i got and excellent 18.92 Kmpl in my Swift Dzire Vxi.

Agree, it is a tad noisy, in comparison to the Ritz 1.2 K series.
Old 20th November 2009, 11:04   #96
Senior - BHPian

I think the K12M motor from the Ritz is more or less confirmed for the Swift as vid3369 mentioned here. It's just a matter of time. It should be out in Jan or March at most. Even the VVT may be too much of an ask. But I still hope they do it, to distinguish between the Ritz and Swift. Else it's going to be Swift all the way.
Old 20th November 2009, 11:11   #97
BHPian

Quote:
I own Swift.

I too own one. There are 300000 people ( or more) own it. 'Terrible' is probably the last word in dictionary to define a swift. Either you own a lemon or a highly abused car. Just because you own one you are not automatically entitled to pass a blanket statement.

I have also driven the so called sunshine cars, the Eye Tens, and the 'Indi'an 'Ca'use. I have also driven F brand tanks. Any given day I ready to buy another swift over all these cars.

FYI,
India the land of superstition blah blah, has just finished chandrayan-I. And planning to send a manned mission to moon, and un manned mission to mars.
@ aaggoswami, you said it all Man.

Last edited by Ajay_J : 20th November 2009 at 11:14.
Old 20th November 2009, 12:49   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

The suspesnion is not very harsh, we can call that its on stiffer side. The positive point is handing and high speed stability. There is not a signle car as fun to drive as Swift in that segment. If a car has got handling and ride, they lose on performance. If they have got performance, they loes on FE.

EDIT : We have Baleno and Maruti 800. Have driven swift over highways and cities to villages. Many have bought Swift on my recommendation.
+1000 to that. We have a Swift Zxi for the past 4 years. It was one of the first Zxi's to be bought in Mysore. I have driven it on Highways on several occasions. Most of the times, its with 5 people and sufficient luggage also. The amount punch this thing has is amazing. It puts a smile on your face every time you take it out on the highway.
The suspension is a bit stiff but its not very bad. At least, there are no major complaints from my rear seat passengers.
As far as noise is concerned, the only noise i could hear when all the windows were rolled up and ACC running and engine revving, were coughs and sneezes from the passengers!!

Last edited by naveenvenkatesh : 20th November 2009 at 12:51.
Old 20th November 2009, 18:38   #99
Senior - BHPian

Everytime this thread is updated i hope to see the title of the thread

Swift with the K series engine? Edit: now launched.

Wonder when that is going to happen?
Old 20th November 2009, 20:53   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Everytime this thread is updated i hope to see the title of the thread

Swift with the K series engine? Edit: now launched.

Wonder when that is going to happen?
April 2010, but I really hope its the M series engine.
Old 24th November 2009, 17:44   #101
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
April 2010, but I really hope its the M series engine.
Maruti is delaying the launch of the new Swift and even the new van that replaces Versa to the end of this fiscal because, I think, they are working hard to tweak the 1.3L G-series engine to BS-IV norms by that time to use in these vehicles, and not the K-series or M-series engines.
Old 24th November 2009, 17:55   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
I have also driven the so called sunshine cars, the Eye Tens, and the 'Indi'an 'Ca'use. I have also driven F brand tanks. Any given day I ready to buy another swift over all these cars.
Apologies for the OT:
Lets keep comparisons subjective unless we get into realistic figures and values to prove points from a theoritical perspective. Otherwise you have the open space out there to prove the capabilities of the vehicles & the technology behind the vehicle. Also, the so called 'F branded tanks' are the primary sources of engine technology for the so called "Swift Ds" and 'Indi'an 'Ca'use followed suit .

Last edited by s3va : 24th November 2009 at 17:58.
Old 25th November 2009, 11:22   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Maruti is delaying the launch of the new Swift and even the new van that replaces Versa to the end of this fiscal because, I think, they are working hard to tweak the 1.3L G-series engine to BS-IV norms by that time to use in these vehicles, and not the K-series or M-series engines.
I don't think they have much to gain by tweaking the G series engine. In fact it would be easier and cheaper for Maruti to plonk the K12M motor from the Ritz for the below mentioned reasons.
1. They can save a lot in terms of price hike due to the excise duty benefits of the K12 motor which can help in offsetting the price increase. In fact they may be able to reduce prices of the new vehicle due to this. This advantages will be lost if they decide to tweak the G series motor. And a difference of 20k is not a small thing in this segment. Maruti would be hard pressed to let go of this.
2. Better economies of scale for the K series motor due to spreading it over larger number of models which will in turn help in pushing down prices.
3. More than this the K12 motor gives excellent FE which is not so in the G series. Thus Maruti can expect to sell even more units with the enhanced FE.
4. Using a common parts bin gives a substantial cost advantage both to the manufacturer as well as the customer. It reduces manufacturing cost as well as the cost of spares due to a greater spread. It is a win win situation for both parties.

Last edited by longhorn : 25th November 2009 at 11:23.
Old 25th November 2009, 11:53   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They are not able to differentiate between better quality product, because they have never owned one or driven one.
I own a swift since almost 3 years and have driven my car on the worst of western ghats where we hardly have roads

I never found any alternative to Swift in that price range and even today i am a proud owner

Great power, good FE, road stance, stability... i can live with those rattles(only on bad roads, on a smooth road.. its super silent)
Old 25th November 2009, 12:21   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I own a swift since almost 3 years and have driven my car on the worst of western ghats where we hardly have roads

I never found any alternative to Swift in that price range and even today i am a proud owner

Great power, good FE, road stance, stability... i can live with those rattles(only on bad roads, on a smooth road.. its super silent)
Could not agree more.

I had a Swift for 3.5 years and it was a super experience.Never let me down.A very funky looking car with a peppy engine,drove at a max of around 165kmph and was extremely stable.And never had a single rattle

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks