Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2009, 16:20   #31
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Wrong, in my opinion. Customers buying Diesel in this segment are looking for low cost of running rather than performance. So, a 1.4L or 1.6L Fiesta won't make too much of a difference for them. The motor should pull the vehicle nicely. That's it.
But there is a sizable segment which likes performing diesels - why else would verna D be such a big hit. Personally am pushing my purchase since i want the 1.6D. Personally 1.6D fiesta would be my first choice followed by SX4 (unless linea changes its cheap plastics a bit)
Old 10th October 2009, 16:35   #32
BHPian

I hope they keep the old engine . Its free reving nature puts a smile on your face . The fuel economy oriented K series would frankly take out the zing from the swift petrol.
But numbers rule so , I guess the K series will have the last laugh .
Old 10th October 2009, 19:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Unlikely thanks to the tax benefits associated with a 1.2L petrol. Believe me, that 1.2L petrol from the Ritz is an absolute all-rounder. .
But hey,
I guess if this happens it will fall into the Estilo Dilemma(same engine in Estilo and WagonR), where two cars fitted with same engine. One succeds other flops.
Old 10th October 2009, 21:49   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
But hey,
I guess if this happens it will fall into the Estilo Dilemma(same engine in Estilo and WagonR), where two cars fitted with same engine. One succeds other flops.
I doubt this will happen in case of Swift and Ritz.
Reasons :

1) Estilo and Wagon R, both were tall boys with quite similar space and design.

2) Estilo and Wagon R both catered the small family car/city car segment with similar characteristics specially when coming to practicality.

In short both, Estilo and Wagon R were city cars and small family car, both ultitarian.

Now in case of Ritz and Swift,

3) Cars have different looks in the first place, one is tall boy, the other is a two box hatchback. Ritz is much cabforward design wtih a shorter wheelbase IIRC.

4) Ride and handling characteristics are quite different.

5) Overall interior design is also different in Ritz and Swift. Sit in the rear seat of Swift and Ritz and the difference in immediately apparent.
Old 10th October 2009, 23:06   #35
BHPian

Any hope for a two door swift ? especially the sport 1.6 model ?
Old 10th October 2009, 23:27   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanths1 View Post
But there is a sizable segment which likes performing diesels - why else would verna D be such a big hit.
Verna sells about 1500 per month. If 1000 of them are Diesels, it comes around just 10% of the total Diesel sales in the C segment.
Old 12th October 2009, 01:35   #37
Senior - BHPian

Saw a TV ad today touting Swifts performance. Would they do so only for the 1.2 K series engine? Or is something else cooking?
Old 12th October 2009, 10:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

Is this new Ad campain related with Siwft with k series engine ?

Source : New TV ad series on Swift

Article :
Quote:
Maruti Suzuki has announced the launch of a multi-ad campaign with a series of six television commercials (TVC) on the Swift, synchronised with the Champions League T20 cricket series. According to the company, the Swift, which was launched in 2005, is the fastest car to reach the 3.5-lakh unit sales mark. We decided to create a campaign for the Swift, because it means so much to so many people. The multi-ad campaign brings each of its facets to life, while reinfor cing the cars high points. The campaign idea is to reinforce the bold, daring and exciting aspects to the fore and draw the consumer to explore further, said Mr Shashank Srivastava, Chief General Manager (Marketing), Maruti Suzuki.
Old 13th October 2009, 10:49   #39
BHPian

Went to 2 dealers in Gurgaon over the weekend to enquire about the swift - when i asked when the K series was coming one said in dec and the other said feb. When i said i was interested in picking up the swift, they dissuaded me and told me to go for the Ritz at both places. And when i asked about the waiting for the swift i was surprised to hear that they had the petrol model in stock - no waiting!!

These are signs of things to come - the K series is on its way soon - dealers hv been told to clear existing stock. I believe this coming in by Dec/ early Jan.
Old 13th October 2009, 11:08   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Saw a TV ad today touting Swifts performance. Would they do so only for the 1.2 K series engine? Or is something else cooking?
My gut feeling is that it is a K13 indian sport version (Amen to it). Keeping swift with K12 makes no difference in MSIL small car portfolio. Swift should carry on that sporty character with little more power and performance.
Old 13th October 2009, 11:48   #41
BANNED

As per HS in the Autocar Show (reading between the lines) on the Box it will unfortunately be the 1.2-K.
Old 19th October 2009, 02:31   #42
Senior - BHPian

Any news? My cousin wants to buy the Petrol Swift Dzire. He has been given a 3 month waiting period for the OLD engine. Does this mean they will be selling the old one 3 months from now too?
Old 19th October 2009, 22:12   #43
BHPian

Swift has always been a dream car of mine. Finally went to the dealer today and i was surprised to hear that the waiting period was 2months for Lxi and the dealer said that the new engine if at all it will be coming will not be coming before May-June 2010. Moreover he was convincing us to buy Ritz.

Badly confused..

1. Should i wait for new Swift for like 5-6 months or is it expected earlier?

2. Should i settle for the existing Swift

3. or Should i go for Ritz

I can easily wait till feb march 2010..
Old 20th October 2009, 06:45   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolaks7 View Post
Swift has always been a dream car of mine. Finally went to the dealer today and i was surprised to hear that the waiting period was 2months for Lxi and the dealer said that the new engine if at all it will be coming will not be coming before May-June 2010. Moreover he was convincing us to buy Ritz.

Badly confused..

1. Should i wait for new Swift for like 5-6 months or is it expected earlier?

2. Should i settle for the existing Swift

3. or Should i go for Ritz

I can easily wait till feb march 2010..
Since your heart really desires for Swift and can wait, go for Swift.

But, Ritz is not a bad option though.
Old 27th October 2009, 12:38   #45
BHPian

What's Cooking on SWIFT.

There's no news on Swift. Whether they're going to plonk the same 1.2 litre K Series Engine. Or any new Engine development is going on?

Going by Maruti's standards and the recent SX4 Launch, we cannot expect any breaking news on Swift.

But of late, Swift ads have started on Television. Is it a precursar to something new, we can expect from Maruti or is the Company feeling the heat with the recent launch of Punto/Jazz and expected new launch of FIGO and POLO?

We cannot expect anything out of the Diesel unit since the unit is running succesfully.

And what happened to the completely new SWIFT? with a slightly bigger track. But, I guess the all new Swift will not make it to the roads for atleast a Year.

So, What'll happen to the BSIV standards for its Petrol 1.3 litre head. Are they going to tweak the same unit or develop 1.3 or 1.4 litre K Series Engine with BSIV standards?

Most Viewed