Team-BHP - Swift with the K series engine? Update: Launched.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Swift with the K series engine? Update: Launched. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/66147-swift-k-series-engine-update-launched-9.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashutoshb (Post 1686007)
Swift gets K-series engine

Maruti has launched the latest version of Swift petrol and Swift Dzire petrol with a 1.2-litre engine which complies to the stricter BS-IV norms.

This is the same engine that was first seen doing duty in the Ritz.

The new engine, with a power output of 84bhp and 11.5kgm of max torque, will bring in improved transmission thus enhancing overall performance. (Earlier 1.3-liter petrol produced 87bhp and 11.3kgm of torque).

With the refined K-series engine, the company claims efficiency figures of 17.9kpl, an improvement of 2kpl over the old engine.

Maruti has recently announced a marginal price hike for all its models, but the Swift (Petrol) will miss the drill and prices will remain the same.

Swift gets K-series engine | Autocar India

In a way good move as the cost will come down thanks to economies of scale.

1) Overlap problem.

Is this not weird overlap ? We understand the difference between ritz and swift and their nature, but for most of the car buying public, they will end up getting swift and may be, may be sales of Ritz petrol will come down.

2) Performance.
Irrespective of public opinion, G series motors were one of the best to hit our Country along with Honda D13/15B engine.
The G13BB had enough grunt to propel Swift to high speeds and was fantastic highway performer. Cruising at 140 was quite easy, and with that top end grunt, overtaking in one gear lower was actually fun. IMO, its was G13BB that actually helped Swift come up against its then competitor, Getz.

Now on the other side, K series engine is lighter. In case of A-star, the motor weighs in at 47 kg dry which is nice. Ritz unit is also lightweight than G13. The reason why M13 could not make its way in small cars is that it was heavier than G13. But K12M is lighter so as expected FE is good. But what about performance that Swift is known for ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaggoswami (Post 1686297)
  1. Irrespective of public opinion, G series motors were one of the best to hit our Country along with Honda D13/15B engine. The G13BB had enough grunt to propel Swift to high speeds and was fantastic highway performer. Cruising at 140 was quite easy, and with that top end grunt, overtaking in one gear lower was actually fun.
  2. But what about performance that Swift is known for ?

1. Agree with you;have experienced two avtaars of this engine and it is a jewel.Enjoy its sporty performance and the overtaking capabilities in one gear lower
  2. might take a slight hit - every engine cannot match the G13B

There should be someway to curtail these kind of rumour threads, I am seeing lots of these nowadays in the TBHP - Indian Car Scene forum. Believe me this is going to bring the quality of the site downward. Its helping no one guys.

Someone pops an unwarranted question and there are so many guys taking thier sides, this is not being any good to anyone.

Mods need your help in reducing these kind of thread, just take a look lots of these kind of thread, half of them on Maruti Suzuki. We have to make sure this stops unless someone has some solid evidence to start a rumour thread.

Or better we can have a seperate forum by Title " Speculation" where everyone posts what he thinks will be a future state.

What speculation and rumour are you talking about xingamazon?

Hi Vidya, my concern was not with this thread in particular but many threads in general, I see someone pops up a question or probably a guess to start a discussion.

But my request was for starting a thread can we have a system where one starts with a solid reason to start a discussion. I understand in this case the question has turned out to be true, but there are many such threads, like all products of suzuki prices to be reduced thread etc, where someone starts a rumour.

If you see how this thread was started it was just a pop-up question. My request was we need to stop these kind of pop questions. Which will improve the quality of the forum. correct me if I am wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xingamazon (Post 1686436)
There should be someway to curtail these kind of rumour threads, I am seeing lots of these nowadays in the TBHP - Indian Car Scene forum. Believe me this is going to bring the quality of the site downward. Its helping no one guys.

Someone pops an unwarranted question and there are so many guys taking thier sides, this is not being any good to anyone.

Mods need your help in reducing these kind of thread, just take a look lots of these kind of thread, half of them on Maruti Suzuki. We have to make sure this stops unless someone has some solid evidence to start a rumour thread.

Or better we can have a seperate forum by Title " Speculation" where everyone posts what he thinks will be a future state.

The new of the Swift with a K series engine is not a rumor or speculation. Its published by economic times and also by autocarindia.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xingamazon (Post 1686488)
I understand in this case the question has turned out to be true, but there are many such threads, like all products of suzuki prices to be reduced thread etc, where someone starts a rumour.

Better you read some news papers / news sites before posting these arrogance.

Any idea on when the Swift 2010/11 is going to be launched?

Quote:

Originally Posted by romeomidhun (Post 1686675)
Better you read some news papers / news sites before posting these arrogance.

OK Guys guess I shot the bullet in this thread and posted a message before going thro the list.

My sincere apologies.

Anyway, my only intention was people should not post messages until few news are confirmed which I did notice in some other thread. Anyway I accept my mistake.

its quite disappointing they aint changing the looks of the swift and just the engine. Should have considered slimming down the beauty a bit :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashutoshb (Post 1686007)
Swift gets K-series engine

Maruti has launched the latest version of Swift petrol and Swift Dzire petrol with a 1.2-litre engine which complies to the stricter BS-IV norms.

This is the same engine that was first seen doing duty in the Ritz.

The new engine, with a power output of 84bhp and 11.5kgm of max torque, will bring in improved transmission thus enhancing overall performance. (Earlier 1.3-liter petrol produced 87bhp and 11.3kgm of torque).

With the refined K-series engine, the company claims efficiency figures of 17.9kpl, an improvement of 2kpl over the old engine.

Maruti has recently announced a marginal price hike for all its models, but the Swift (Petrol) will miss the drill and prices will remain the same.

Swift gets K-series engine | Autocar India

Brilliant ! Swift petrol with better FE, just opens up more direct competition (engine to engine / Kappa to K12) between Swift K12 1.2 and i10 Magna 1.2

infact im considering buying one of the two unless i can find moolah for a sedan :D! any thought fellow bhp-ians ?? If there is a thread discussing the same, would appreciate if someone could share it !

a. Low end torque in K12 - Does this new development kill the high end torque in prev 1.3L engine. Is this for certain or is there still some ambiguity around this ? Mods/folks who have driven both Swift 1.3L and Ritz 1.2 (K12) can opine better.

Brilliant. I was desperately waiting for this move from Maruti. I decided to buy Swift last year itself. But heard lot that Swift will be equipped with K Series engine.

Any idea when it will be launched? Further, will there be any changes as far as interiors/exteriors are concerned?

Actually the Central Excise duty with benefits for a small car, complying with the directed norms viz. length below 4000mm and engine size below 1200cc (for petrol)will be levied on the new Swift. The present Swift petrol was not treated as a small car as the current engine was the Esteem's 1298cc, whereas the Swift diesels were being levied with the small car Excise Duty (1248cc: for diesels the engine capacity is to be below 1500cc).

Hey guys ! the new K-series swift has been launched. Here's the source : http://www.autoholiks.com/2010/01/maruti-suzuki-swift-gets-1-2-k-series-engine/

Quote:

Originally Posted by vigsom (Post 1686399)
[/list]
  1. Agree with you;have experienced two avtaars of this engine and it is a jewel.Enjoy its sporty performance and the overtaking capabilities in one gear lower
  2. might take a slight hit - every engine cannot match the G13B

Dont you think it ll make the 'old' gen swift (G13B engine) more dearer (at least to performance enthusiasts)?

i was contemplting to trade my Swift for a new Sedan / SUV
Now after this news, i may not actually sell the Swift. It really is a marvellous performer in highways.

Coming back to the 1.2 K-Series,
Guess its very obvoius that Swift 1.2 will outrun the Ritz, Looks may be one item, but the handling and composure at high speeds is something to die for in this segment. Not sure, how well the tall boy design would argur for Handling and high speed cornering abilities