Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2009, 15:15   #541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post

All the cars I saw had the 1.2 CRDi engine. The dashboard illumination was red.
Hey you mean to say this is a different engine, Fabia I suppose has a 1.4 l diesel or this is something new.
Old 23rd December 2009, 15:19   #542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrmanju1 View Post
LMAO. Man, i cannot park Polo near my house then. 5.3M turning radius. Wow. I think there is some confusion here. Wonder how it won the COTY award.

==
16 days to go

If i am not wrong Punto has turning radius of 5.1 M which is little pain inside city as posted by fellow Bhpians. So with 5.3M meters, Polo will also have similar problem.
Old 23rd December 2009, 16:38   #543
oss
BHPian

Let's wait to see how refined the 3 pot diesel is going to be.

Hope VW did a good job of it considering the fact that this 1.2 CRDi has been given a lot of publicity wordwide, and expected to be fit in various models across the globe.
Old 23rd December 2009, 17:28   #544
BHPian

Life's come a full circle for VW in a way.

Excerpt from Wikipedia:
In 1971, Prime Minister Indira Gandhi's Cabinet proposed the production of a 'People's car' - a cheap, affordable and efficient indigenous machine that middle-class citizens could afford. While Sanjay had no experience, design proposal or tie-ins with any corporation, he was awarded the contract and the exclusive production license.

Maruti Udyog, today India's premier automobile manufacturing corporation, was founded by Sanjay Gandhi, but the company did not produce any vehicles during his lifetime. A test model put out as a showpiece of progress was criticized. Public perception turned against Sanjay Gandhi, and many began to speculate of growing corruption. Sanjay Gandhi then contacted Volkswagen AG from West Germany for a possible collaboration, transfer of technology and joint production of the Indian version of the People's Car (Maruti) since VW had previously built and sold 'People's car' in Germany under the name 'VW Beetle' which was a big hit worldwide.

Also Suzuki Motor Corporation of Japan was contacted to present their design and feasibility of their car to be manufactured in India. Suzuki came to know that the Government of India had contacted Volkswagen AG from West Germany as a possible supplier, it did everything to oust VW from the race to produce India's first People's Car (Maruti 800). It provided the Government a feasible Design of their 'Model 796' (another big hit in Japan and East Asian countries)
Old 24th December 2009, 13:33   #545
BHPian

Thanks for the info.
Nice to read this trivia. I am just thinking where India would be if VW had taken the deal and made the People's car. Hmmmmmm.
Old 27th December 2009, 15:14   #546
BHPian

Till date VW has maintained total secret of the engine options of Polo which is surprisingly gona launch on 5th Jan 2009 Auto Expo except 1.2 petrol 70PS.
I am very much seriously thinking to book one right now but afraid of bad engine fineness just like the Fabia.
Old 28th December 2009, 15:51   #547
Senior - BHPian

I think Polo with TDi engine will also be launched at the expo..
chk these links VW Polo production in India commences - 95 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/notjust...7622865336799/

Last edited by agspins : 28th December 2009 at 15:55.
Old 28th December 2009, 21:50   #548
BHPian

Quick question for experts.
Background: I dont think the 1.2l Petrol is all that exciting. 1.2 TDi looks nice but i am not a diesel engine fan. Never drove one infact. Maybe = basics of automobiles.What is the difference between a Petrol & Diesel engine in Polo?

I am planning to buy a car. Limited to city driving. Occasional highway rubber. Planning to keep the car for 5-7 years for sure. Prefer low maintenance. Fuel costs not a big concern.

Thanks in Advance
Old 28th December 2009, 22:11   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Background: I dont think the 1.2l Petrol is all that exciting. 1.2 TDi looks nice but i am not a diesel engine fan. Never drove one infact. Maybe = basics of automobiles.What is the difference between a Petrol & Diesel engine in Polo?

I am planning to buy a car. Limited to city driving. Occasional highway rubber. Planning to keep the car for 5-7 years for sure. Prefer low maintenance. Fuel costs not a big concern.

Thanks in Advance
As of now the engine details of the Polo are not out, so its pointless to simply speculate on the engine performance.But if the 1.2 petrol is the same as the one in Fabia then it is not all that great.

Also for your need it would be best to go for the Maruti Swift or the Hyundai i20 , since low maintenance cost is a priority and they are a much safer bet when you plan to keep the car for more than 5 years.

Last edited by harishnair : 28th December 2009 at 22:14.
Old 28th December 2009, 22:15   #550
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Thanks in Advance
If you're talking about the TSI, then I don't know what to say! It is a revolution so to speak! It incorporates the 'Twincharger' technology which essentially a Turbocharger and a Supercharger and it operates as a parallel system! It completely eliminates turbo-lag! Think about it, it's a motor with a 1.2 liter displacement (That's roughly 300cc per cylinder) and it churns out an unbelievable 100 odd horsepower!

The 'Twincharger' technology was first introduced by Lancia in their rally car, the Delta S4 if I'm not mistaken!

But if you're talking about the 3-pot motor, it's pretty much the same motor that does duty in the Fabia!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th December 2009 at 22:17.
Old 28th December 2009, 22:40   #551
Senior - BHPian

1.2 TDi Specs.

I did some googling and got following information regarding VW's 1.2 TDi engine.
Its a 1191 cc inline 3cyl SOHC engine producing 60 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 140NM @ @ 1,800–2,400 rpm, which is suppose to do a 100KM's in 3Ltrs of diesel. Weight of 1.2 L Petrol is around 1092KG. And its derived from 1.4L TDI which is doing its duty in Fabia.

Now one can think and speculate on the engine performance to some extent.

Last edited by HammerHead : 28th December 2009 at 22:43. Reason: Added info.
Old 29th December 2009, 15:16   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
If you're talking about the TSI, then I don't know what to say! It is a revolution so to speak! It incorporates the 'Twincharger' technology which essentially a Turbocharger and a Supercharger and it operates as a parallel system! It completely eliminates turbo-lag! Think about it, it's a motor with a 1.2 liter displacement (That's roughly 300cc per cylinder) and it churns out an unbelievable 100 odd horsepower!

The 'Twincharger' technology was first introduced by Lancia in their rally car, the Delta S4 if I'm not mistaken!

But if you're talking about the 3-pot motor, it's pretty much the same motor that does duty in the Fabia!
Not all of the VW TSI engines have 'twinchargers'. The 1.2 TSI that is slated for the Polo (internationally, perhaps in India) has only a single turbocharger and no supercharger. Similarly, the 1.8TSI that does duty in the Skoda Laura and Superb only has a single turbocharger and no supercharger.

However, many varieties of the 1.4TSI engine (not available in India) that VW put in the Golf, Scirocco and other cars do have the 'twinchargers', enabling them to generate phenomenal power (around 170bhp). Therefore, it is the 1.4TSI that won several Engine of the Year awards for VW. In combination with a 6-speed or 7-speed DSG transmission, this makes for a fantastic power-train.

At the rate VW is going (putting a 3-cylinder, 1.2L, 70bhp petrol in the Polo), we are a long way away from TSI engines and DSG gearboxes in VW's Indian cars. Even the 1.6 petrol engine available in the Indian Jetta is quite lethargic for its size.
Old 29th December 2009, 15:35   #553
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
Not all of the VW TSI engines have 'twinchargers'. The 1.2 TSI that is slated for the Polo (internationally, perhaps in India) has only a single turbocharger and no supercharger. Similarly, the 1.8TSI that does duty in the Skoda Laura and Superb only has a single turbocharger and no supercharger.

However, many varieties of the 1.4TSI engine (not available in India) that VW put in the Golf, Scirocco and other cars do have the 'twinchargers', enabling them to generate phenomenal power (around 170bhp). Therefore, it is the 1.4TSI that won several Engine of the Year awards for VW. In combination with a 6-speed or 7-speed DSG transmission, this makes for a fantastic power-train.

At the rate VW is going (putting a 3-cylinder, 1.2L, 70bhp petrol in the Polo), we are a long way away from TSI engines and DSG gearboxes in VW's Indian cars. Even the 1.6 petrol engine available in the Indian Jetta is quite lethargic for its size.
Guess my research was wrong! What can I say,

You got me there! The Polo's motor isn't coupled with a Turbo and a Supercharger. However, it does have that 'Fuel Stratified Injection' (FSI) and this makes it pretty economical too!

But if I'm not mistaken, the Jetta abroad does come with a 1.4 TSI that does come with the 'Twincharger'! It's applications happen to be the Skoda Octavia as well but in India, the Octavia aka the Laura doesn't come with that engine option due to the appalling quality of fuel available here.

However, as you've cited, this TSI motor may not make it to our market anytime in the near future.
Old 29th December 2009, 23:21   #554
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
You got me there! The Polo's motor isn't coupled with a Turbo and a Supercharger. However, it does have that 'Fuel Stratified Injection' (FSI) and this makes it pretty economical too!

But if I'm not mistaken, the Jetta abroad does come with a 1.4 TSI that does come with the 'Twincharger'! It's applications happen to be the Skoda Octavia as well but in India, the Octavia aka the Laura doesn't come with that engine option due to the appalling quality of fuel available here.

However, as you've cited, this TSI motor may not make it to our market anytime in the near future.
Jetta in abroad comes with the 2.5 naturally aspirated 5 cylinder engine.

TSI engine should make it to the Jetta first, probably in the 2011 version, before we can expect it in the Polo.
Old 5th January 2010, 17:21   #555
BHPian

VW India has added Polo to its list of products on its website.

Visit Welcome to Volkswagen India.

To view the eBrochure click http://www.volkswagen.co.in/media/co...o_brochure.pdf
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks