Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2009, 10:47   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-X5 View Post
Hi All,

Soptted 3 "ECCOs? or YUCKOs" in HAL Helicopter division (Old Airport Road) half an hour back, 2 red and a blue HR registered vehicles.Looks like the same vehicles in the above snaps. Stoped for a moment to see it, nothing much has changed from versa except a cheap 'ECCO' logo, headlamps, tail lamps and front grill. Didnt even bothered to click a snaps as it is not really worth the the effort .
Me too saw couple of red Versa like vehicles near HAL helicopter Div. As I was driving I could not click any photos. I though that it was a Versa, literally there is nothing gr8 about this vehicle.

Going to be a flop right away.
Old 24th December 2009, 11:04   #47
BHPian

Typical of Maruti

Just like we have the A-Star which is the running version of the Alto in international markets

They putting out an older model into the Indian market with another name.. Its really looks like the Versa Relaunched!! Shape, Design all look exactly the same!!

The Versa flopped as a car with even the likes of Big and Little B promoting the car!!

This one, gonna flop again!!
Old 24th December 2009, 12:41   #48
BHPian

@Dippy thanks for those pictures. Nothing but a reworked Versa. too bad they don't plan a 1.3 MJD.

@GTO : I don't think MUL could even think of putting the Linea-spec 1.3 MJD in this . It has'nt even ended up in the Swift (potential super-hot hatch with that kind of power) or The Undzirable. This is a good thought no doubt, but very wishful thinking. And at this price point?

I have a genuine question for those who know. Why spend extra time and development cost to detune an engine for a people mover?Does detuning mean higher torque on lower rpms. Why spend more money on an existing good product (ie the engine) and detune it? Tata has also done this with the Grande@120 BHP with a reworked ECU. Does not make sense to me.
Old 24th December 2009, 12:51   #49
BANNED

So, what is this :-

The Hindu Business Line : Maruti Suzuki to showcase MPV Concept at Auto Expo
Old 24th December 2009, 12:55   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
I have a genuine question for those who know. Why spend extra time and development cost to detune an engine for a people mover?Does detuning mean higher torque on lower rpms. Why spend more money on an existing good product (ie the engine) and detune it? Tata has also done this with the Grande@120 BHP with a reworked ECU. Does not make sense to me.
AFAIK, in the Maruti scenario they have done this for two reasons.
1. The Eeco is more like a breadbox on wheels so they wouldn't want people trying out too many heriocs on this like going flat out. We know that theK12M is a very capable motor.
2. Product postioning. (This applies for the Tata case also) The Ritz is postioned about the Versa so they don't want people who shell out more money to be redfaced because with a similar engine, a lighter vehicle though cheaper would have better power to weight ratio and hence give better acceleration/mileage. Ditto for the Sumo Grande v/s Safari. A classic case in point would be the M800 5 speed v/s Alto(which is why the stopped production of the 5 speed M800).
Old 24th December 2009, 12:57   #51
BHPian

@BackSeatDriver:
That's probably Maruti's salvo at the Innova/Xylo/Grande Segment. Heard some whispers of this in other posts in this(or some other) thread.
Concept R3. Why not (in tribute to my this post ) call it the Maruti Salvo. It is definitely a better name than the Eeko. Why not rename the
Eeko as Maruti Cuckoo - a la Reliant Robin !? The name is bound to attract attention. Forthcoming headline -> MSIL lays its eggs in a new basket.

Last edited by rpmx1000 : 24th December 2009 at 12:59. Reason: Adding a reference to original post
Old 24th December 2009, 16:15   #52
BHPian

So, the cut down and face lifted Versa becomes the Eeco with a 1.2L K12 engine tuned for more torque (the real power) and less BHP. That was expected. Didn't we discuss this over in other threads?

Good for Versa segment if it costs under 4.5L OTR but this desperately needs a Diesel engine. If Maruti thinks they can still sell good numbers in people mover and load carrier segment with CNG options, then they have to rethink again. Today's diesels do not need expensive maintenance and are on par with petrols in maintenance costs but deliver amazing economy in fuel price and kmpl.

Also, 8 seaters get tax benefit as people movers. Wonder why that option is not being used here.

I expect the Omni to continue selling. Otherwise a 4L van replacing a 2.5L van doesn't really work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
By the way did they ever replaced any car with a newer international version of the same car here in India?
oh! that rare event did happen once and was written with gold in history books. The Swift (Esteem) was replaced with the new Swift (DZire)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
i dont see any changes in the bodystyle except the new graphix etc.

if this is the replacement for VERSA and not for OMNI
then i am utterly disapointed.
They had to cut the cost and get a better Engine into it. The target segment is mostly commercial segment. Looks are not a bothering there but price and fuel is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
THis will not be named eeeecko. I promise all you.
It will be named Eeco. See the promotional stage and arches in the photographs with Eeco name.

Last edited by MotoKris : 24th December 2009 at 16:16.
Old 24th December 2009, 17:27   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
That's the Maruti R III being discussed on this thread :-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...i-new-mpv.html
Old 24th December 2009, 17:29   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
AFAIK, in the Maruti scenario they have done this for two reasons.
1. The Eeco is more like a breadbox on wheels so they wouldn't want people trying out too many heriocs on this like going flat out. We know that theK12M is a very capable motor.
2. Product postioning. (This applies for the Tata case also) The Ritz is postioned about the Versa so they don't want people who shell out more money to be redfaced because with a similar engine, a lighter vehicle though cheaper would have better power to weight ratio and hence give better acceleration/mileage. Ditto for the Sumo Grande v/s Safari. A classic case in point would be the M800 5 speed v/s Alto(which is why the stopped production of the 5 speed M800).
Very intelligent and well thought out answers. Thank you.
Old 24th December 2009, 18:04   #55
BHPian

IMHO, this vehicle, if priced according to the information on this thread, might find a number of buyers. Especially people like me who wants a vehicle with some degree of safety, some comforts, and a good engine, not too basic as the Omni, which can be used for running errands like sending along gifts for Onam, cakes during Xmas, shopping runs for convents & hostels, getting food packets for meetings, fetching not- too- important guests from the railway station, bringing along luggage to the airport, etc, etc, and a vehicle that can be entrusted to your rookie driver without headache. The projected price is right, the engine has by now proven itself, the Versa is already proven MARUTI, they have got it right on almost all factors. It's just 4 lacs, people! Doesn't even cost as much as a family vacation to Europe, does it?
Old 24th December 2009, 22:07   #56
BHPian

ACI has mentioned that it will be price very much lower than Versa to catch the market.so they might aim for commerical segment than Individuals.ACI also clearly mentioned that this is a very small face lift of versa with K12 engine,change in bumper and headlight.
Old 24th December 2009, 22:36   #57
Senior - BHPian

Nice move by MSIL if they are trying to tap Taxi markets, Looks wise its a Versa.....
Old 24th December 2009, 22:41   #58
Senior - BHPian

Its a facelifted versa with a ritz motor.

Some more pics, courtesy auto car India.
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti Eeco minivan (EDIT: now launched for 2.6 Lakhs)-eeco_edited.jpg  

The Maruti Eeco minivan (EDIT: now launched for 2.6 Lakhs)-eeco01_edited.jpg  

Old 24th December 2009, 22:58   #59
Senior - BHPian

just a change in headlamps. thats it. boring..
Old 24th December 2009, 23:24   #60
BHPian

.....And we thought it would be the new APV.
Really never expected such thing from MSIL, Let's wait and watch how does it performs in the market. Should be a shame it goes flop again!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks