Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2010, 18:02   #121
BHPian

Hey GTO/Sidindica, what about conducting one of those sizzling comprehensive road tests on the Eeco? It is already being sighted on the road (as mentioned in an earlier post on this thread) and Sidindica has already given some details about the engine and interiors.

Sindindica, you mentioned that the non-PS Eeco is not a major problem to steer and that it felt as light as an Alto without PS. Somehow, I never did like an Alto without PS. In fact, my dad had a non-PS Alto and a non-PS Santro during the same period and the steering of the Santro always felt lighter and easier to manoeuvre, despite being 100-odd kilos heavier than the Alto. I thought that I was being biased towards the Santro, until my sister arrived at the identical conclusion. When I purchased an Alto LXI, I quickly realised just how easier it was to steer the Alto with PS as compared to the Alto without PS. Is there any explanation just why the Santro non-PS felt easier to handle than the Alto non-PS?

I still feel that the Eeco is far more VFM than even the Alto. For instance, the Alto LX is about the same price (or a few thousands less) as compared to the Eeco "LX" (AC without PS). Given a similar price range, why would anyone want to buy an Alto -- lower powered and smaller in size -- when the Eeco is available?

What also mystifies me is manner in which MUL has slashed the price of the Eeco. The stripped down Versa STD (no AC and no PS) was introduced here in Goa for about Rs 3.8L (ex-showroom). The Eeco STD 5-seater also has no PS and no AC. The only major difference is that it is shorter in height and the power has been dropped by about 10 BHP or so. But the price of the Eeco Std has been slashed by over Rs 1 lakh as compared to the Versa Std. This is a significant price difference and I'm feeling sorry for many of the Versa owners who must be feeling let down with this price cut. To make matters worse for them, the official FE of the Versa is 12 kmpl while it is 15.1 kmpl for the Eeco, despite having almost the same specifications as the Versa.

For their sake, I only hope that the (now discontinued) Versa uses many of the spare parts of the Eeco, as I'm told that many of the Versa spares are costlier than the Alto/Wagon R.

Melvyn

Last edited by misquitas : 12th January 2010 at 18:06.
Old 13th January 2010, 11:02   #122
Senior - BHPian

You pay 8% excise on a petrol engined vehicle under 1200cc while you pay 20% excise on a petrol engined vehicle above 1200cc. This is the main factor which could account for close to 50% of that difference. Further if you look carefully, the Versa had an unstated elegance when you sit inside, which is not so with the Eeco. They have stripped down the seats (no fabric here), inside of door panels now come with vinyl+cardboard that are el cheapo instead of platic mouldings, the instrument console has been stripped(it can't get any more basic that this). But I must admit, it has beome a real VFM proposition now!
Old 16th January 2010, 15:15   #123
BHPian

it reminds me of the vw van, i am not sure of the name and the price,but it changed the way people's carrier used to be..i feel same for the eeco,its gonna be the van in real terms,running as taxis and ambulances.
great move maruti.the price tag changed it all..
Old 18th January 2010, 22:06   #124
BHPian

The modded wagonR, sx4 and a-star looks pathetic.
Old 20th January 2010, 18:08   #125
BHPian

Plain Jane and spartan that it is - the Eeco is a coup for Maruti at this price point. Close to if not as comfortable as a small hatchback like the Alto/ Spark / Wagon R, IT offers a lot of seating space and load carrying versatility (from where the Versa name was coined) at a market beating price.

The cheaper utilitarian Tata Magic Iris might be better looking but with its tiny engine and window panes not offered it is targetted at replacing the autos and not really the Maruti Van even.
The only other competition at a stretch is the Tata Venture, which is a bit bigger and much better looking. But with Tata's poor reputation in the quality surveys and after sales - I would anyday choose the reliable Maruti at this price point for a people mover due to sheer practicality and peace of mind.

It's almost inevitable that this will be another very success bread and butter model for Maruti - Perhaps they could upgrade the looks and mechanicals later on in another higher end 'sporty' van say like the Suzuki APV. Nicer looks and better interiors would have been nice but that would perhaps mean a 3.5 to 6 Lakhs price range.

This is clearly a low risk high return business decision on Maruti's part. I can already see her bean counters ringing.

Hats off Maruti All the best with the Eeco! Must add that a tasy nose job, nifty interiors, mechanicals tyres later on would however be most welcome thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks