Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2010, 20:59   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghavanrv View Post
My Guess is that the pricing is going to be somewhere between the Punto and the Jazz. If it leans more towards to Punto, then it’s most likely the end of the story for Punto. It will go down as yet another FIAT car which is a engineered well but marketed badly.
Even Swift has something to worry about. As the performance figures seem to be very close to swift and the overall build quality of VW will definitely be better.
I don't think that Swift has much to worry about because I think that the maintenance and the spare parts would probably be cheaper than the Polo and plus the Swift, being a Maruti is backed up by a very strong service network.

But, yeah I agree that Punto's sales might be hit hard.

Last edited by aparth : 12th January 2010 at 21:03.
Old 14th January 2010, 20:44   #137

great coverage of the polo cup indeed !
liked it a lot . but i think the exteriors are not sporty enough...!?
Old 15th January 2010, 12:24   #138
BHPian

Not sure if Punto's sale would be hit as hard as some suggest. It all depends on the pricing. If they price it higher with a NA engine as they have declared, don't think Punto sale would be hit so much. If VW price it cheaper then it would expose how much Fabia is overpriced.
Old 16th January 2010, 20:03   #139
BHPian

@raghavanrv and @aparth : What do you think ?- Sales of JAZZ once polo is launched? Will it be hard it too and end of Story?

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th January 2010 at 20:39. Reason: Please avoid typing in all BOLD text. Thanks.
Old 16th January 2010, 21:09   #140
Senior - BHPian

^^^^
I think it all depends on the pricing, if the price different isnt much between the two then Jazz might not be hit hard as it is much more spacious than Polo and also more powerful than the 1.2 litre version of the Polo and the Jazz's build quality is said to be pretty decent as well.
Old 17th January 2010, 11:13   #141
BHPian

If a big car like the Ford Fiesta has been well accepted with a 1.4 engine, I think the 1.2 for a small car like the Polo is just fine.
Old 17th January 2010, 11:29   #142
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
^^^^
I think it all depends on the pricing, if the price different isnt much between the two then Jazz might not be hit hard as it is much more spacious than Polo and also more powerful than the 1.2 litre version of the Polo and the Jazz's build quality is said to be pretty decent as well.
I am sure Jazz sales won't get hit much. It needs to sell in decent numbers in the first place for it to be hit
Old 17th January 2010, 12:24   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
I am sure Jazz sales won't get hit much. It needs to sell in decent numbers in the first place for it to be hit
I agree with you on that one!
Old 17th January 2010, 14:35   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda is a well-repsected and accepted make in India*. Whereas there is a certain aspirational element to VW ownership in my UK, they are a long, long, long way from establishing any such marketing position here, and I don't think Skoda has helped them any. I don't see potential Honda buyers, in India, flocking to VW instead.

*Err... sorry for stating the obvious! <Blush>
Old 17th January 2010, 16:00   #145
oss
BHPian

Check the Accord numbers after the new Superb was launched last year. You will get the picture.
Old 18th January 2010, 10:38   #146
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
Check the Accord numbers after the new Superb was launched last year. You will get the picture.
Checked. They are more or less the same. In fact, some months have been the highest ever for the Accord. The Superb has expanded the 20 lakh segment, and the Accord's customer base hasn't shrunk at all.
Old 18th January 2010, 14:45   #147
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

A lot of this expansion of the market bit happening currently in india with new car launch.

Accord caters to a segment of customers who want executive luxuary but with peace of mind - I dont think they give a premium for the Honda brand itself but to the reliability, whereas Skoda Superb caters to customers looking at best feature to price (hence value) ratio, and also some snob value (in India). But they are people who feel that given the manpower an their disposal they can manage the maintenance bit.

The Fortuner too expanded and created a new segment and the same can possibly be expected of the Aria.

I20 is another example of a new expanded segment being created - which fabia and jetta failed to do.
Old 25th January 2010, 15:20   #148
BHPian

Dear GTO, thanks for the wonderful review. Polo looks really cool better than Etios. Etios looked very cheap at least in photos. Polo interiors look great. Any idea on the pricing and launch dates? Regards, Hydswift.
Old 25th January 2010, 16:10   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by channelv View Post
Not sure if Punto's sale would be hit as hard as some suggest. It all depends on the pricing. If they price it higher with a NA engine as they have declared, don't think Punto sale would be hit so much. If VW price it cheaper then it would expose how much Fabia is overpriced.
True. However if Polo is not priced less than 6L bracket then it may not succeed as a big hit, considering the dimensions and the power under the hood.
Old 24th February 2010, 00:41   #150
Team-BHP Support

We're looking to buy a premium petrol hatch and the Polo 1.6 Highline is top on the list! I'm very VERY interested in the kitted silver Polo. Do you'll think those skirts and wheels would be available as an option? Please say yes!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks