Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: For a right hand driven car, I prefer the indicator combination switch (lever) to be
on the right side of steering 178 82.03%
on the left side of steering 39 17.97%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2010, 14:48   #16
BHPian

Somehow, I prefer them to be on the left hand side. I don't worry about hands on the gear and the light switch as I plan my shifts ahead in advance. If the driver side window is rolled down during driving, I usually rest my right hand on the windows sill.

One another silly thing I feel is that my steering is a lil more subdued and subtle when I steer with my left hand. No science to this, just my perception.

Oh, I used to drive a Siena, which had the headlight switch on the left.
Old 27th January 2010, 14:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin82 View Post
Somehow, I prefer them to be on the left hand side. I don't worry about hands on the gear and the light switch as I plan my shifts ahead in advance. If the driver side window is rolled down during driving, I usually rest my right hand on the windows sill.
You mean, one hand for gear, indicators and steering ... ?
Old 27th January 2010, 14:56   #18
BHPian

I drive a Fiesta and a Zen at times and feel the pain all the time. But I believe you get used to it. This is not a safety issue unless you drive on the razor's edge, but more of usability and feel-good factor.
Personally, I prefer the left-hand side for the indicator switch.And no, it does not interfere with the gear switches if you are a confident driver.
Old 27th January 2010, 15:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

As an after thought, won't it be better if they can put the indicators similar to the Paddle Shifters, just under the steering.
Old 27th January 2010, 16:23   #20
BHPian

Always had a feeling that manufacturers like Ford, GM do this to cut costs. I am familiar with Marutis and all of them have it on the RHS. Even though I have driven Ford, feel a little awkward when its n the LHS.
Old 27th January 2010, 17:18   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Having Driven the Fiesta, Punto, Palio and Alto quite a bit, I would prefer the Headlamp & Indicator Switch on the right side of the steering.
Old 27th January 2010, 17:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

I prefer Right hand controls as well. Was test driving Chevrolet Spark around a year back, when i noticed that when i needed to slowdown to take a turn i had to first downshift and then use the indicator (or vice versa) which is a bit inconvenient. Whereas with right hand controls, one can do this simultaneously or within a second. Helps a lot.

Last edited by DCEite : 27th January 2010 at 17:23.
Old 27th January 2010, 17:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

I have been driving between my Fiesta & my Dad's Tavera!

Always felt more comfortable with the controls on the left, might be something to blame on my long love affair with the Ford cars from 2004.
Old 27th January 2010, 17:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

RHS for RHD cars and LHS for LHD cars is my choice like most others. After driving in India for about 12 years, moved to the US and found it difficult initially to get used to the system there but got over it soon. Again, when I came back after a 2.5 year stint in the US, found it difficult to get used to the system here.

Heck, I found it difficult to drive my own car with indicators on the RHS. Once I even remember having to pull over in the night for having operated the wiper instead of the headlight dim-dip switch and had a tough time cleaning my windscreen which was smudged (the windshield washer had been left untouched for more that 2.5 years and it turned sticky).

Last edited by rr_zen : 27th January 2010 at 17:58.
Old 27th January 2010, 18:06   #25
BHPian

A simple solution to the debate would be to provide Auto Lights & Wipers. With those in place it just does not matter where the switches are...
Old 27th January 2010, 18:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
A simple solution to the debate would be to provide Auto Lights & Wipers. With those in place it just does not matter where the switches are...
And then, how to flash headlights as an indication to other driver? Indication while overtaking?

Auto indicators would not capture the 'intention'. It would be post-action - meaning once the vehicle starts turning, machine would sense it and show the indication. But indicators' original purpose is to display the intention of the driver and indicate to co-drivers, right?

So far, there has not been sensors to detect human intention.
Old 27th January 2010, 18:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
What about usability, changing gears while flashing headlamps or operating indicators? Basically you are forced not to operate indicator while shifting gears right?
I dont find it as an issue on a Fiesta, as I never change gears and operate indicators same time. Infact its an advantage in my opinion, because the right hand can always rest on the door pad (hand support) with a grip on the steering. Left hand does the gear shift, side indications and even dipping. Lights control is anyway on the dashboard as a fan regulator. So the only time you would need the right hand is to operate the wiper.
Old 27th January 2010, 18:57   #28
BHPian

I find having indicators on the left hand side to be more confortable while riding because my power arm is right hand and dedicate it for controlling the steering wheel, while i use left hand to switch gears & indicators.

I switch driving between Ikon & SX4 and got used to it.
Old 27th January 2010, 19:01   #29
BHPian

RHS is the way to go!

Am all for having the indicator switches on the RHS in RHD cars.

In fact, companies like Ford, Chevrolet, Skoda, etc., can take a leaf out of Maruti's book, by integrating all the light switches into one stalk, instead of having a rotary dial + stalk combo.

Another thing is the irritating position of the "High" beam in these cars. You have to pull the stalk towards you (at least in a Fiesta), unlike in a Maruti where you have to push it down. What this does is it locks you on high beam even if you were simply meaning to flash the "Passing" light, albiet a little rapidly. It's a minor irritant, but an irritant nonetheless.
Old 27th January 2010, 19:19   #30
BHPian

I was reading on wikipedia about turn indicators and found that all LHD cars have turn indicator levers on the left side. Whereas on RHD cars it varies. I am also aware that while most Japanese/Korean/Indian cars come with the lever on the right side of the steering wheel, European and American models come with the lever on the left. Question: In UK, people drive on the left hand side like India. Then why do even their cars follow the American system by placing the indicator lever on the left side of the steering wheel? I mean, there has to be a logic to this. Personally i really dont see any significant difference in the placement, but the curiosity is getting to me!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks