Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2010, 07:01   #61
BHPian

alright. Any idea about the engine specifications for the sedan.
Old 24th March 2010, 08:38   #62
BHPian

Toyota website (Toyota - Etios Concept) mentions the following:

Sedan:
Dimensions - (L) 4265mm X (W) 1695mm X (H) 1490mm
Engine-1.5l Petrol

Hatch
Dimensions - (L) 3775mm X (W) 1695mm X (H) 1490mm
Engine-1.2l Petrol

No other information is provided.
Old 25th March 2010, 13:58   #63
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Nope, its this weekend at CTC, Nandambakkam.Hoping to check it out.
I saw the advertisement in yesterday's Hindu and plan to be there on Sunday. Eager to see what comes out of this road show.
Old 25th March 2010, 23:02   #64
BHPian

the hatchback segment is getting crowded
baring the swift and vista to a lesser extent all the other cars dont really have anything unique
if you have seen one you have seen all
Old 26th March 2010, 23:45   #65
Senior - BHPian

I have a strange feeling that the Etios is some older version of the corolla and starlet which could be unsold in other countries or a refurbished!

I have seen and driven corollas that appear pretty much like the sedan Etios! The hatchback resembles the Toyota starlet which used to be sold in other countries some 5-6 years ago.

This could explain why Toyota is planning to sell it as an "economical" vehicle.

This could be pretty much how Hyundai is selling the verna, which is in reality Hyundai Accent which was sold in other countries some 10 years ago.
Old 27th March 2010, 00:38   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
I have a strange feeling that the Etios is some older version of the corolla and starlet which could be unsold in other countries or a refurbished!

I have seen and driven corollas that appear pretty much like the sedan Etios! The hatchback resembles the Toyota starlet which used to be sold in other countries some 5-6 years ago.

This could explain why Toyota is planning to sell it as an "economical" vehicle.

This could be pretty much how Hyundai is selling the verna, which is in reality Hyundai Accent which was sold in other countries some 10 years ago.

The Etios seems closer to the previous generation Vios. I did see a pic in one of the threads comparing the same. Knowing Toyota, I wont be surprised if the internals are carried over from the older generation Vios. Product development cost minimized to a great extent. So a faster breakeven and introduce the latest generation 5 years down the line
Old 29th March 2010, 11:33   #67
BHPian

Folks,

Here are some pics of the Etios sedan and hatchback from the Toyota Q world expo held at chennai on 27th & 28th Mar 2010.

My take on the Etios concept:
- The sedan looks decent (although resembles the logan a lot). Doesn't corolla have such plain looks? I think since it has a toyota badge it would do well.
- I was told that the launch would be in Jan 2011. Only petrol version available initially. Price not disclosed.
- The interiors of the sedan in red and pearl color look very refreshing.
- Paint quality looks top notch, especially the pearl color on the sedan.
- The huge tyres with alloys looked great. Don't know if they will come with the same sizes in the production version too.
- They had some dance program where group dancers sang about the Etios concept being made for india and then introduced to the world etc. I was not impressed.

The "All India" Toyota Road Shows Thread-dsc_0818.jpg

The "All India" Toyota Road Shows Thread-dsc_0819.jpg

The "All India" Toyota Road Shows Thread-dsc_0820.jpg

The "All India" Toyota Road Shows Thread-dsc_0821.jpg

The "All India" Toyota Road Shows Thread-dsc_0822.jpg

The "All India" Toyota Road Shows Thread-dsc_0823.jpg

The "All India" Toyota Road Shows Thread-dsc_0824.jpg

The "All India" Toyota Road Shows Thread-dsc_0825.jpg

The "All India" Toyota Road Shows Thread-dsc_0826.jpg

The "All India" Toyota Road Shows Thread-dsc_0827.jpg

The "All India" Toyota Road Shows Thread-dsc_0828.jpg

The "All India" Toyota Road Shows Thread-dsc_0829.jpg

The "All India" Toyota Road Shows Thread-dsc_0830.jpg

The "All India" Toyota Road Shows Thread-dsc_0831.jpg
Old 29th March 2010, 12:36   #68
Senior - BHPian

Whoever designed that dash needs to be fired ! I can't believe that Toyota can get so cheap.
Old 29th March 2010, 12:48   #69
BHPian

Yeah and whoever designed the car too has to be fired. It looks like they were peeping every now and then at the logan design. Moreover, the gear looks old fashioned - like the ones that move all around the car. The best gear I have seen in a car is in Cruze. It is short and sporty.
Old 29th March 2010, 13:53   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grules View Post
Folks,

Here are some pics of the Etios sedan and hatchback from the Toyota Q world expo held at chennai on 27th & 28th Mar 2010.

My take on the Etios concept:
- The sedan looks decent (although resembles the logan a lot). Doesn't corolla have such plain looks? I think since it has a toyota badge it would do well.
- I was told that the launch would be in Jan 2011. Only petrol version available initially. Price not disclosed.
- The interiors of the sedan in red and pearl color look very refreshing.
- Paint quality looks top notch, especially the pearl color on the sedan.
- The huge tyres with alloys looked great. Don't know if they will come with the same sizes in the production version too.
- They had some dance program where group dancers sang about the Etios concept being made for india and then introduced to the world etc. I was not impressed.
Thanks grules, could not make it yesterday to the "expo". Did you get a chance to touch and feel or were the cars offlimits.

Anyone from Toyota asking for feedback ?
Old 29th March 2010, 14:58   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Thanks grules, could not make it yesterday to the "expo". Did you get a chance to touch and feel or were the cars offlimits.

Anyone from Toyota asking for feedback ?
Metal barricades were placed for both the ETIOS cars. And we are not allowed to get closer to them.

But, it wasn't so for all the other cars. I could see small kids jumping inside the 1crore SUV and nobody stopped them. It was quite crowded and had to wait sometime before you get your turn to check the interiors.

They were getting feedback, but i couldn't wait for a long time and i had to leave.

Some pics of other cars from the show:
The "All India" Toyota Road Shows Thread-dsc_0832.jpg

The "All India" Toyota Road Shows Thread-dsc_0834.jpg

The "All India" Toyota Road Shows Thread-dsc_0835.jpg

The "All India" Toyota Road Shows Thread-dsc_0836.jpg

The "All India" Toyota Road Shows Thread-dsc_0843.jpg

The "All India" Toyota Road Shows Thread-dsc_0844.jpg

The "All India" Toyota Road Shows Thread-dsc_0846.jpg

The "All India" Toyota Road Shows Thread-dsc_0848.jpg

The "All India" Toyota Road Shows Thread-dsc_0849.jpg

The "All India" Toyota Road Shows Thread-dsc_0850.jpg
Old 29th March 2010, 18:15   #72
Senior - BHPian

The front of the camry hybrid looks nice and clean.Those interiors of the etios must have been designed by 5 year olds.Just because toyota has the brand name they have designed a car that shouts "this is the best we could do for a cheap hatchback,take or leave it".And they know we will take it.
Old 29th March 2010, 18:25   #73
Senior - BHPian

That Camry hybrid is actually the Toyota Aurion in Australia.
Old 30th March 2010, 10:41   #74
BHPian

Toyota Q-World Quality Revolution Auto Show - Chennai Trade Centre - 28 Mar 2010

Hi everyone

There was this Toyota auto show at the Chennai Trade Centre on 28 Mar 2010 (Sunday) which I happened to go to. I think the show did not have that much publicity. I saw the ad in The Hindu on Sunday but prior to that I had received an SMS from Lanson Toyota regarding the show. Not sure how they had my number. Maybe from one of the previous shows where I gave my contact details.

Anyway the show was not bad, as they were mainly showcasing the Etios Sedan and Hatch which were already shown at the Auto Expo in Delhi in January. The cars surely looked good and I feel Toyota has a winner on its hands for that Swift DZire segment. The hatch would compete with the Swift, i20 etc as it would come with a 1.2L engine. The sedan has been planned with a 1.5L engine.

At first glance:

* Interiors looked modern and funky, though not all that practical
* Integrated headrests in the front seats, like the i10's seats
* Cars shown did not have powered mirrors, height adjustable seat belts or a centre armrest at the rear/front
* Both the hatch and sedan were shod with 17 inch alloys and 245/45/17 Yokohama tyres, which obviously would not be offered when the car goes on sale
* Both the cars seemed quite spacious and the sedan had a nice boot too
* The hatch looked quite nice from the back as well but had a smallish boot
* The rear windscreen on the hatch was a tad small I thought, and this might affect rear visibility
* Both cars had a double DIN audio slot and had some kind of SatNav system fitted for display purposes
* Hatch is targeted at the Swift/i20 segment as it comes with a 1.2L engine and the price is expected to be around 5.5L
* Sedan comes with a 1.5L engine and is targeted at the Swift DZire segment with prices around 6 to 6.5L
* ABS and airbags are expected in the top end variants
* Expected launch - end 2010 or Jan 2011

I know most of us have read about the Etios in the Feb and March editions of our favourite auto mags, but the info above is what I got from the Toyota guys at the show.

The other cars on display were the Prius hybrid, Camry Hybrid (expected to be launched around Mar 2011 at 40L), Camry 2.4L petrol, Corolla Altis on one side of the hall and on the other side, Innova, Fortuner, LandCruiser V8 turbo diesel (shocking 95L on road!!) and Land Cruiser Prado diesel (60L).

I explored all the cars but loved the Land Cruiser. Wow. What a car and what a feel. 2 A/C compressors, and totally 28 A/C vents in the vehicle !! Features in the vehicle were amazing to say the least, but I seriously wonder who would pay almost a Crore of Rupees for a Toyota in India. At that price, there are many Swedish and German luxury marques available.

Unbelievable, but I remember a fully loaded Land Cruiser V8 petrol (4.8L engine I think) used to cost around $110k AUD in 2006 before I got back to Chennai. Today, the same fully loaded LC200 V8 4.7L petrol Sahara version in Australia costs $114k (driveaway price). That works out to around 47L in INR. So it costs almost double here.

Well I did take some snaps using my Nokia N96, but the battery ran out after I snapped the Altis. So I couldn't get snaps of the SUVs on the other side. Shall attach the snaps after this post.

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 30th March 2010, 10:47   #75
BHPian

@VSG12777 - Already being discussed here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-thread-5.html

@Mods can merge this thread to the existing one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks