Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2010, 17:08   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryasanyal View Post
Quite a few changes from the outgoing Fabia. Apart from the engine upgrade, many other things seem to have been downgraded.
For one, I didn't find any mention of the rear wiper/defogger on their website.
Skimping on an important feature as this is not what Skoda should be doing.

Also no 60:40 rear split.

Simply to position the car below the Polo, lots of features have been sacrificed. I'd go for the outgoing Fabia rather than putting my money on this new one.
Agree with you. Absence of rear defogger and wiper (if true) is unpardonable IMO. Also, 60:40 split seats should be there. The Polo comes with these 2 features.

I wonder what is the strategy here. A car so similar to Polo with almost similar prices! What is the USP?

Can anybody clarify about the seat belt pretensioners? I thought all cars having airbags come with this. Does the Polo have pretensioners? I thought it is imperative to have those in cars with airbags. Opinions ..anyone?
Old 12th October 2010, 17:36   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
They are not offering front power window in a 5+ lacs car now thats bad and no rear power window in the middle variant.

For me its a deal breaker as even a 3 lac alto has power windows
Not entirely true ... I have been driving an alto and dont know of any variant that offers power windows ...
I agree that not offering PW is a sin. Period.
Old 12th October 2010, 17:49   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INNOVATOR View Post
Not entirely true ... I have been driving an alto and dont know of any variant that offers power windows ...
The Alto K10 has it I believe, which is a circa 3.5 L car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryasanyal View Post
Simply to position the car below the Polo, lots of features have been sacrificed. I'd go for the outgoing Fabia rather than putting my money on this new one.
If it was a toss up between better powertrains versus electrical what not, I would prefer the better powertrain any day. For me it would lesser gremlins to watch out for in the longer run.

Last edited by indivic : 12th October 2010 at 17:53.
Old 12th October 2010, 17:51   #124
BHPian

EBC and dual BA aren't really new safety features. They were offered in the outgoing Ambiente and the Elegance model too.
Old 12th October 2010, 18:16   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Other minor removals:
cooling in the glove box
seat height adjust for the co-driver
Pretensioners for front seat belts
three point seat belts for the 5th passenger
Ouch. The loss of the 3-point belt for the 5th passenger and the front pretensioners now makes the Fabia even less appealing to those of us who value safety.

If true, this makes the i20 the only car under 10 lakhs with 3-point belts for all the passengers.
Old 12th October 2010, 18:50   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dose View Post
Ouch. The loss of the 3-point belt for the 5th passenger and the front pretensioners now makes the Fabia even less appealing to those of us who value safety.

If true, this makes the i20 the only car under 10 lakhs with 3-point belts for all the passengers.
Can you tell me what exactly is a 3-point seatbelt? How do I identify if it is a 3-point or not? Sorry for the novice question.
Old 12th October 2010, 19:08   #127
agm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Can you tell me what exactly is a 3-point seatbelt? How do I identify if it is a 3-point or not? Sorry for the novice question.
Thanks Adi for asking about the 3-point seatbelt. even i was wondering what exactly is that and how it work?

About the new fabia and the pricing, i'd say this time Skoda has got it spot on . Fabia now looks a very good option for those looking for a premium hatch,especially the 1.6 litre petrol engine which is less than 7Lakh onroad.only glitch is the A.s.S and atrociously priced spare parts.

More than any other brand/car it will be volkswagen polo IMO will feel the heat .

Hope GTO comes up with a detailed review of the car soon.
Old 12th October 2010, 19:26   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INNOVATOR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
The Alto K10 has it I believe, which is a circa 3.5 L car.
Like indivic said alto k10 vxi has got front power windows. Even the a star has 4 power windows in vxi trim and thats around 4 lacs

Even its 1st cousin the polo has two front power window in the base variant and its priced just 2k more
Old 12th October 2010, 19:47   #129
BHPian

Crazy pricing by Skoda

Just had been to skoda and imagine my surprise when the sales rep told me the OTR price was 6.92 L and the split up is as below

Ex showroom- 6.10L as opposed to 5.81 given at launch,

Skoda sheild- 32,600/-,

Regn & Service- 49,236/-

Total- 6,92,356/-

What I cannot understand is

1)why they give an ex- MH price of 5.8?

2) Why is it that Skoda sheild is included in the OTR price(will check if thats mandatory)

3) Almost 50k for registration???

Something is amiss here needless to say Im disappointed. Cost increase of 1 lakh.

The 5.8L Ex showroom was just a marketing gimmick I guess.

Last edited by MihirC : 12th October 2010 at 20:04.
Old 12th October 2010, 21:04   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by agm View Post
Thanks Adi for asking about the 3-point seatbelt. even i was wondering what exactly is that and how it work?
A 3-point seatbelt is simply one that is anchored at a a total of 3 places (2 permanently in the car body and 1 in the seatbealt latch) or in other words it is a seat belt with both a lap and a shoulder portion, having three attachment points (one shoulder, two hips).

This kind of seatbelt helps spread out the energy of the moving body in a collision over the chest, pelvis, and shoulders and are thus safer/better than a lap or 2point belt which do not cover the chest or shoulders and thus the full force of the impact is supported by the pelvis.

A lap/2-point belt is cheaper as it does not need the 2nd body mounting and is also easier to implement in cramped spaces.

peace,
~kg
Old 12th October 2010, 21:04   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Just attended the launch of the Facelifted Skoda Fabia launch at the Grand Hyatt Mumbai
Thanks for bringing in the pictures.
Looking at the top-end variants, just curious to know how the Fabia 1.6 compare against Polo 1.6 Highline. Is the interior space better than the Polo (especially the backseat)?
I remember reading a comparison in Autocar Singapore. In that, Fabia was pitted against a bigger VW Golf 1.2, and not the Polo.
Old 12th October 2010, 21:15   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agm View Post
Quote:
Hi, a 3 point safety is one which has 2 points of attachment and a belt clasp,the type which is found in every modern automobile(especially the front seats).While wearing the belt you can pull on it and adjust and it will work freely,however during an accident when it gets suddenly jerked the belt is stopped by a holding mechanism in the box in the bottom of the B-pillar.A 2 point belt on the other hand is like airline lap belts.
Old 12th October 2010, 21:40   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Thanks for bringing in the pictures.
Looking at the top-end variants, just curious to know how the Fabia 1.6 compare against Polo 1.6 Highline. Is the interior space better than the Polo (especially the backseat)?
I remember reading a comparison in Autocar Singapore. In that, Fabia was pitted against a bigger VW Golf 1.2, and not the Polo.
THe rear seat in Polo is really cramped, much more lesser than the Fabia. Also due to the high transmission tunnel and a 5th passenger for long journeys would not be comfortable. If space is your requirement then fabia it is.
Old 12th October 2010, 21:53   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
Just had been to skoda and imagine my surprise when the sales rep told me the OTR price was 6.92 L and the split up is as below

Ex showroom- 6.10L as opposed to 5.81 given at launch,

Skoda sheild- 32,600/-,

Regn & Service- 49,236/-

Total- 6,92,356/-

What I cannot understand is

1)why they give an ex- MH price of 5.8?

2) Why is it that Skoda sheild is included in the OTR price(will check if thats mandatory)

3) Almost 50k for registration???

Something is amiss here needless to say Im disappointed. Cost increase of 1 lakh.

The 5.8L Ex showroom was just a marketing gimmick I guess.
How does it compare with the Polo 1.6?
Also, can you confirm if the rear wiper and defogger is missing in the top variant? I will be shocked if that is the case considering that almost all cars from a segment below also have those.
Also, the split seats missing is a major disappointment.

Also, try to get a break-up of the OTR cost?
Can anyone answer my earlier question regarding the presence of seat belt pretensioners in cars with Airbags? I assume the Polo Highline, PUnto EP, I20 Asta comes with those ( I know Jazz has those).
I noticed another thing which Fabia has is the height adjustable seat belts.
Old 12th October 2010, 22:36   #135
BHPian

@MihirC: Prices are now updated in their website. It is indeed 5.81L for 1.6. You should check with the dealer again. Skoda shield is not mandatory, but I would strongly recommend you to go for it, if you end up buying the Fabia.

Quote:
How does it compare with the Polo 1.6?
Also, can you confirm if the rear wiper and defogger is missing in the top variant? I will be shocked if that is the case considering that almost all cars from a segment below also have those.
Also, the split seats missing is a major disappointment.

Polo 1.6 quotes 6.16L on the website.
Defoggers in the rear window has been removed in the Fabia already for some time now. Silly that they removed the rear wipers too, even in the top end.

Also, try to get a break-up of the OTR cost?
Can anyone answer my earlier question regarding the presence of seat belt pretensioners in cars with Airbags? I assume the Polo Highline, PUnto EP, I20 Asta comes with those ( I know Jazz has those).
I noticed another thing which Fabia has is the height adjustable seat belts.
I dont think pretensioners are mandatory with airbags, Polo doesn't have it.
And for the three point seat belt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks