Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2010, 17:42   #166
BHPian

Product Cannibalization?

Maybe I am way off here BUT, I do not see any logical reason for the Fabia to be relaunched. It was dying a slow death anyways with almost negligible sales.

The only star seems to be the 1.6 version. But again, if I were in the market for a 1.6 hatch, I'd rather be better off buying the Polo 1.6 and not the Skoda.

Another thought which comes to my mind is, though the Fabia and Polo won't stand on the same showroom, but they are from the same company in the end. Aren't they worried about product cannibalization?
Old 14th October 2010, 17:48   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
Agreed, but the higher add on costs are probably due to the engine size. Once you cross 1.5 l, the insurance bracket changes, not sure about the registration.

Quoted add ons for the polo 1.6 are approximately 47000 for registration, 24000 for insurance (from the dealer - can get it for 17k independently) , 4k for 'handling charges'. Add an extra 5 as processing fees, stamp duty in case your opting for finance.
Thanks Swale, It helped a lot. Though Im surprised how come Palio 1.6 is still available at 5.4 OTR mumbai.

Anyways thats fine, your reply does make sense

Last edited by MihirC : 14th October 2010 at 17:50.
Old 14th October 2010, 18:03   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post

1.2 Common Rail Diesel - 75 BHP @4300 rpm
Skoda India website is showing 1.4 TDI PD 70bhp for the diesel.

?koda Auto - The new ?koda Fabia - Facts
Old 14th October 2010, 19:56   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agm View Post
I had decided on Jazz which is suppose to be delivered to me on sunday (dushera) but now with this new fabia launch especially with 1.6 @ 6.9L onroad here at my place making me rethink about the Jazz.

I was looking for a premium hatch with decent engine , good enough space etc which Fabia fulfills to an extent. but then their are few downside as well like German reliability , A.*.S and high spare cost .

After going through GTO's thread about the german cars i am little scared .

What do you guys suggest?will it be a good idea to go with the fabia 1.6?

thanks
Depends on why you chose the Jazz. If you had chosen Jazz considering Honda's reliability and space in Jazz as a major factor there is no reason to change to Skoda.
Old 14th October 2010, 21:29   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
Depends on why you chose the Jazz. If you had chosen Jazz considering Honda's reliability and space in Jazz as a major factor there is no reason to change to Skoda.
Agree with you.
The only reason to go for Fabia 1.6 would be the better power.
If you are keen on that additional power, go for it.

Otherwise, the Jazz remains a better choice considering other factors like space, reliability, A.S.S., FE, refinement, features etc.
Please note that my opinion might be biased as I went through the same exercise and chose Jazz over Polo 1.6.

Main thing was - my heart was saying Jazz So, frank opinion is listen to you heart and u won't go wrong.
Old 14th October 2010, 22:14   #171
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Agree with you.
The only reason to go for Fabia 1.6 would be the better power.
If you are keen on that additional power, go for it.

Otherwise, the Jazz remains a better choice considering other factors like space, reliability, A.S.S., FE, refinement, features etc.
Please note that my opinion might be biased as I went through the same exercise and chose Jazz over Polo 1.6.

Main thing was - my heart was saying Jazz So, frank opinion is listen to you heart and u won't go wrong.
I don't really agree with you on this...
The Fabia is at par on space or reliability or features compared to the Jazz, but yes, refinement in the Jazz is something Skoda can't match in their lifetime...
Old 14th October 2010, 23:28   #172
BHPian

@AGM, Jazz may have just a 1.2L engine, but trust me, its the BEST 1.2 available in the market today. It never felt underpowered, but is not overly powerful like the 1.6 motors available in its price range (Ford Fiesta). Its rev happy, refined and extremely efficient which I am sure current 1.2 and 1.6 Fabia engines can't match. Fabia on the other hand has better interiors IMO in terms of quality of materials, build and previously, equipment. Honda however wins back in design of its interiors which is more funky but Skoda is not too far behind. Can't really comment on the 1.6L engines in Fabia/Polo since I haven't driven one yet. If I were you, I would buy Jazz if my critical requirement is fuel efficiency and relatively better peace of mind with respect to A S S and Fabia if it is ride comfort and feel good interiors. The A S S of Skoda is fast improving and in Bangalore, its better than Honda even.

@soorajmuralee, what makes you think Skoda/VW can't match the refinement of Jazz in their lifetime? The TSI motors betters everything else with that award winning 1.4 TSI petrol which Skoda/VW sport in various cars including Fabia internationally. In India, Laura TSI beats Civic and Accord 2.4 for refinement and power and Accord in efficiency too.

Last edited by v.anand : 14th October 2010 at 23:34.
Old 14th October 2010, 23:43   #173
BANNED

so yet another car with no adjustable ORVMs from the VW (/Skoda) stable. i just fail to understand how much the company will be set back by to get some motors working in their mirrors. specially considering that the rest of the companies manage to do just fine with them.

Though i must agree, the car is a decent bet. the A.S.S. might be a concern for many, as it is quite valid; but should just wait on this one to manage to get its foot planted well enough. History has a bad way to bite back, classic example being the Fiat story in India. But to be honest, with the number of Skodas doing the round on the roads, who's to bet against them. I must add to, that the look now is a little quirky, with no major differentiation with the Polo, i do think they better option will be the later for its out-n-out good looks
Old 14th October 2010, 23:55   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soorajmuralee View Post
I don't really agree with you on this...
The Fabia is at par on space or reliability or features compared to the Jazz, but yes, refinement in the Jazz is something Skoda can't match in their lifetime...
If you think Fabia has same space as Jazz, what can I say? This is the first time I have heard anybody say so. But Fabia is more spacious than a Polo for sure.
Normally, Honda is considered more reliable than Skoda and there are multiple instances of serious issues faced in the older Fabia.

I read your review about Fabia. Sorry to dampen your sprits but you got lot of facts wrong with respect to the older vs. new fabia features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
@AGM, Jazz may have just a 1.2L engine, but trust me, its the BEST 1.2 available in the market today. It never felt underpowered, but is not overly powerful like the 1.6 motors available in its price range (Ford Fiesta). Its rev happy, refined and extremely efficient which I am sure current 1.2 and 1.6 Fabia engines can't match. Fabia on the other hand has better interiors IMO in terms of quality of materials, build and previously, equipment. Honda however wins back in design of its interiors which is more funky but Skoda is not too far behind. Can't really comment on the 1.6L engines in Fabia/Polo since I haven't driven one yet. If I were you, I would buy Jazz if my critical requirement is fuel efficiency and relatively better peace of mind with respect to A S S and Fabia if it is ride comfort and feel good interiors. The A S S of Skoda is fast improving and in Bangalore, its better than Honda even.
I agree with you on the 1.2 engine of Jazz and the refinement is unreal. I also agree that the older Fabia had better quality interiors , in fact the best among hatchbacks. Also Fabia has better ride quality. Jazz, on the other hand has a more attractive design both inside and outside and will turn more heads! About features, the older Fabia had more equipments but the newer one has less than Jazz like - rear defogger, rear wiper,electric mirrors split seats, steering audio controls plus add-ons like magic seats, bottle holders near AC etc. Fabia has some additional features though like - boot and reading lights, illuminate glove box, steering reach adjustment.

I do not know if this discussion is of topic. But @agm, you should have ideally posted the query in the what car section.
Mods, don't shout on me for replying. can't help . But no more replies regarding the comparison between Fabia and Jazz

Last edited by adimicra : 14th October 2010 at 23:57.
Old 22nd October 2010, 18:06   #175
BHPian

Any test drive?

Did anyone test drive the new fabia Diesel? Is there any reviews on net?

Thanks,
Manoj
Old 22nd October 2010, 19:30   #176
BHPian

Yes I did and booked one as well.Slightly noisy engine(more so while idling).Lots of turbo lag,under 2000rpm on 2nd gear i tried a hump negotiation and overtake maneuver,geeee! my heart skipped a beat all for the wrong reasons,felt like vehicle had stalled.(May be i was newbie in diesel territory and too aclimatised to the linear power delivery of petrol engines.)But once the turbo kicked in it just sprang forward and made me think "after all diesels are'nt all that bad".Overall it looked like a good package in terms of build quality.Will post ownership reviews as soon as i lay my hands on this czech beauty.
pajero4me is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2010, 17:24   #177

How is the breaking on the new skoda Fabia?
I heard reviews from owners saying that the brakes get jammed for a few seconds, when driving inside the city.
I did a few test drives, but did not face any issues.
Probably new skoda fabia owners can throw some light on this, which might be useful for other buyers and this can be taken up to Skoda, since it is a serious problem, that needs attention.
Old 27th April 2011, 15:46   #178
BHPian

Re: Facelifted Skoda Fabia on its way to india. EDIT: Now Launched, Details from Pg.7

@pajero4me: Can you please help a prospective fabia brother here by sharing some experiences you've had with the facelifted fabia so far ? I understand you are from Bangalore, and what I hear lately is that Skoda service in Bangalore has improved drastically.

Thanks. Hope it's all nice and green in the czech beauty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks