Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2020, 11:08   #346
BHPian

Re: Let's know the law (Motor Vehicles Act)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Payment receipt, address proof and the filled ack/form for your address change will be needed. Send your id proof as well just in case they may ask.

Not needed. But you can have that too updated via the same process.
Thanks for the details. As you said, I had not printed a copy of the form 33. When I checked it, it says to get consent from financier if under hypothecation.

Our Loan ended in 2015 and we got an NOC from the bank in 2015 but we did not remove hypothecation then.

Will we still need to get their consent?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 13th October 2020 at 11:20. Reason: Edited to remove additional blank lines.
Old 15th October 2020, 10:29   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
There is a way out if you can reach the nearest post office. Delhi High Court's own Rules regarding the same is available on the internet. What you have to do will be to send a money order to the Court Registrar of the magistrate's court in which you have to make an appearance. In the MO form there is a provision to write down a short message. Use that space to clearly state that "I Shri abc, accused on case #/challan # nnnn, here by plead guilty and also pay the penalty of Rs.nnnn through this money order.". Make sure to collect the Money order receipt and keep it safe for some time.
Hi Sachinpk, thank you for your valuable inputs. May I seek your help in a matter concerning me. I used to check my challans regularly before lockdown but March onwards I had not checked status on the Delhi traffic police portal. Recently I checked and found out there were 4 challans. Two were recent and two were of September and November 2019 for overspeeding and red light jumping. I wonder how I missed those 2 because I used to check almost on a weekly basis. Now I paid the recent two challans but for the 2019 ones it seems I have to go to the court to make payment.

Going by your suggestion I can go to a post office but the traffic police portal does not show the amount to be paid anymore. Any suggestion? I also downloaded the mparivahan app and that shows no pending challans. Curiously what happens if a challan is not paid for this long, do they impound your vehicle?
Old 15th October 2020, 11:40   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabih View Post
Hi Sachinpk, thank you for your valuable inputs. May I seek your help in a matter concerning me. I used to check my challans regularly before lockdown but March onwards I had not checked status on the Delhi traffic police portal. Recently I checked and found out there were 4 challans. Two were recent and two were of September and November 2019 for overspeeding and red light jumping. I wonder how I missed those 2 because I used to check almost on a weekly basis. Now I paid the recent two challans but for the 2019 ones it seems I have to go to the court to make payment.

Going by your suggestion I can go to a post office but the traffic police portal does not show the amount to be paid anymore. Any suggestion? I also downloaded the mparivahan app and that shows no pending challans. Curiously what happens if a challan is not paid for this long, do they impound your vehicle?
Similar situation for me, in June there were no old challans but in August suddenly there were 4 speeding ones added from 2019 end without any SMS. So if i had not checked i would not even have been aware of them.
Old 15th October 2020, 22:03   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalanrishikesh View Post
Thanks for the details. As you said, I had not printed a copy of the form 33. When I checked it, it says to get consent from financier if under hypothecation.

Our Loan ended in 2015 and we got an NOC from the bank in 2015 but we did not remove hypothecation then.

Will we still need to get their consent?
Better to get it as the old one will not be sufficient due to long gap. Also pay for the removal of the HT in this app itself, if option available. Better to get that done too in one shot instead of doing it again later when you will sell the car. During transfer, you will have to submit docs for the same if not done.
Old 16th October 2020, 12:45   #350
Senior - BHPian

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabih
Now I paid the recent two challans but for the 2019 ones it seems I have to go to the court to make payment.
Have you tried the new E-Court system? Please visit the E-Court page and give the challan number of the two challans of 2019. The CNR # should be the challan number. Ideally it should then display the amount pending on that challan and you can proceed to pay. What happens is that after a period of time the long pending challans are now getting transferred to the e-court system.

Quote:
Curiously what happens if a challan is not paid for this long, do they impound your vehicle?
It depends on the offense. If it is an offence which requires seizure of vehicle, then they can do that when the next time they stop you. Provided that the mParivahan version used by them still shows the details of the unpaid challans. For some offenses they only can seize the DL of the offender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody
Similar situation for me, in June there were no old challans but in August suddenly there were 4 speeding ones added from 2019 end without any SMS. So if i had not checked i would not even have been aware of them.
The upload of data is still a manual process. So there is a delay from the time of the offence v/s the time the data is getting uploaded to the system. Same thing happened to me last year. Nearly two years before that I had made a pilgrimage to Sabari Mala shrine and on the way back two speed cameras had caught my vehicle. It was nearly a year later, out of curiosity I checked the Kerala Police web site and I was surprised to find two speed violation notices. I had to actually check back my diary to figure out how my vehicle was there at those two spots (in South Kerala, a place where I rarely go other wise).

The SMS alerts is also a very recent addition. It was launched just a month back. So it is only for NEW violations & notices this feature would be applicable. When the old data is added to the system, the SMS may not be sent out.

Note to self: Need to check all those portals once again today

Last edited by sachinpk : 16th October 2020 at 12:46.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:52   #351
BHPian

In the new Motor Vehicle Amendment 2019 act, i guess there was a provision for four-wheeler dealers to register vehicle online without having to take the new vehicle for RTO inspection. If this was true, then has it been implemented ? Or what is the status of implementation ?
Old 22nd December 2020, 23:33   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
In the new Motor Vehicle Amendment 2019 act, i guess there was a provision for four-wheeler dealers to register vehicle online without having to take the new vehicle for RTO inspection. If this was true, then has it been implemented ? Or what is the status of implementation ?
Section 41 of Motor Vehicle Act now mandates that the dealer is responsible for getting the registration. The method of getting this done is not specified, but the onus is on them. It has been implemented as now all new vehicles leave the show room with a number plate affixed.
Old 23rd December 2020, 13:05   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Section 41 of Motor Vehicle Act now mandates that the dealer is responsible for getting the registration. The method of getting this done is not specified, but the onus is on them. It has been implemented as now all new vehicles leave the show room with a number plate affixed.
I am specifically talking of "not having to take the vehicle to RTO for inspection" part. This was the bone of contention between the govt and the opposition when this law was being discussed in the parliament. Has this concession been included in the act? Or taking to the RTO office for vehicle inspection mandatory in the new law too ?

What exactly is the status of this part is what i wanted to know.
Old 23rd December 2020, 14:25   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I am specifically talking of "not having to take the vehicle to RTO for inspection" part. This was the bone of contention between the govt and the opposition when this law was being discussed in the parliament. Has this concession been included in the act? Or taking to the RTO office for vehicle inspection mandatory in the new law too ?

What exactly is the status of this part is what i wanted to know.
In Telangana, vehicles are still being delivered with just the temporary registration and we still need to take the vehicle to the RTO for inspection. Not sure whether other states allow that but it looks like this is up to the respective state governments to implement this. I guess, even after doing the permanent registration, it takes about a couple of weeks to get the HSRP number plate.

On a related note, would it be a problem to take a temporary registered vehicle, with the yellow sticker, to other states or for long drives?
mustangvins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 20:41   #355

Can anyone please help me understand this challan please?

Hi, I have received a challan for Rs 300 with a description -

"Violation of traffic rules by the driver except the offences mentioned in section 184 a,b,d,e,f and without any indication changing the alignment ( MV act 1988 S 119 R/W S 177 )"

Does have a photo of my car on a zebra crossing with the indicator blinking and about to make a turn.

Would appreciate any help!
Thank you!
manmeetd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 21:08   #356
Team-BHP Support

Re: Can anyone please help me understand this challan please?

Source: https://www.indiacode.nic.in/show-da...84&orderno=204

Sec 184

Quote:
For the purpose of this section,--
(a) jumping a red light;
(b) violating a stop sign;
(c) use of handheld communications devices while driving;
(d) passing or overtaking other vehicles in a manner contrary to law;
(e) driving against the authorised flow of traffic; or
(f) driving in any manner that falls far below what would be expected of a competent and careful driver and where it would be obvious to a competent and careful driver that driving in that manner would be dangerous, shall amount to driving in such manner which is dangerous to the public.
On the zebra crossing means a violation of b, at least.
Eddy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 17:10   #357

Re: Can anyone please help me understand this challan please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
On the zebra crossing means a violation of b, at least.

Did I receive this challan because the car was on the zebra crossing? The photo in the challan does not really prove if my vehicle was moving or stationary. Can this be contested?
Old 28th December 2020, 18:17   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmeetd
Does have a photo of my car on a zebra crossing with the indicator blinking and about to make a turn.
If you re-read the notice the offence you have been charged is for violating Section 119, and for the punishment it has to be "read with (r/w)" Section 177 MV Act.
Section 199 MV act - Duty to obey traffic signs. So when you have stopped on top of a zebra crossing, you have not obeyed the traffic sign clearly. You should have stopped BEFORE the zebra line. So that is the offence.

Section 177 MV Act - General provision for punishment of offences . For offences which there is no other section (example: Sec 184 deals with rash driving, Sec 185 deals with drunken driving) giving an explicit punishment, action can be taken using this generic provision. Till 2019 the minimum fine was Rs. 100 and maximum was Rs. 500. Now after the recent amendment the minimum fine is Rs. 300 and maximum can be Rs. 1500. Since this notice came from the Traffic Police/Motor Vehicle Dept, they can only levy a fine based on state government orders. So the G/O has set the fine as Rs. 300/-. If the case gets contested the fine can be decided by the magistrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy
Sec 184
The notice is not for a violation of Section 184. Perhaps the driver actually just stopped the vehicle over a zebra line crossing, and did not continue his driving or performed any other 'dangerous driving' action . Which kind of saved him. Fine for this offence is Rs. 1000 and can go upto Rs. 5000.

Last edited by sachinpk : 28th December 2020 at 18:33. Reason: Grammar checks.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 13:50   #359

Quote:
If you re-read the notice the offence you have been charged is for violating Section 119, and for the punishment it has to be "read with (r/w)" Section 177 MV Act.
Section 199 MV act - Duty to obey traffic signs. So when you have stopped on top of a zebra crossing, you have not obeyed the traffic sign clearly. You should have stopped BEFORE the zebra line. So that is the offence.

Section 177 MV Act - General provision for punishment of offences . For offences which there is no other section (example: Sec 184 deals with rash driving, Sec 185 deals with drunken driving) giving an explicit punishment, action can be taken using this generic provision. Till 2019 the minimum fine was Rs. 100 and maximum was Rs. 500. Now after the recent amendment the minimum fine is Rs. 300 and maximum can be Rs. 1500. Since this notice came from the Traffic Police/Motor Vehicle Dept, they can only levy a fine based on state government orders. So the G/O has set the fine as Rs. 300/-. If the case gets contested the fine can be decided by the magistrate.
Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation! 300 rupees is not much but I didn't want to be bullied out of my money without a proper explanation.
Old 30th December 2020, 12:31   #360
BHPian

There no longer seems to be a way to check for traffic tickets online in Karnataka.

The Bangalore Traffic Police site redirects to Karnataka One and that Karnataka One site subsequently shows an error message and asks us to contact the site owner.

I remember there used to be a site where one could ebnter one's registration number and see if any tickets were there. I remember this used to be the traffic police website itself and not Karnataka One.

Cheers

Most Viewed