Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Was parking space a major decision factor while shortlisting the car
Yes, Parking space was a major decision factor 117 57.35%
No, Parking space was not a decision factor at all 87 42.65%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2010, 10:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

My parking space is just enough for a sedan, but problem is that on one side there's a wall and the next parking spot already houses a Scorpio (most of the time).

So yes, I can park a sedan in my parking spot, but then I'll have to spend the rest of the day in the car . Maybe I should get a sedan with a sunroof!
Old 19th May 2010, 10:53   #17
mxx
BHPian

when i was checking out apartment for purchase few years back, I found that most buildings have enough space in parking lot to park a sedan.Some building getting in and out is not as easy as others but, the parking space is enough for most cars.
My apartment complex has lot of innovas, which is bigger than sedans.
Old 19th May 2010, 13:35   #18
BHPian

Yes, parking space is the major factor. Here in Delhi, we don't get space to park our bikes leave hatchback or sedans. All cars are parked on road sides, footpaths. In-fact all roads in my area looks like parking lots there is no space to drive car. Two lane roads have turned to one lane because of cars parked on both sides.
Our government, do nothing to promote some organized parking lots in residents. No one comes forward with some positive steps to sort out parking issues in metro cities. It has become a nightmare.
Been trying to purchase a hatchback for last 6 months, every time I make up mind and finalize some car, I get scared with frequent neighbor fights in our areas just on issues of parking. Where to park is the question now a days not what car to buy.
Old 19th May 2010, 13:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

Good apartments typically will have 10'X16' parking slots which is good enough for most cars and SUVs. There is also a 2' buffer space between adjacent slots making it easier to open doors of both cars at same time.
Old 19th May 2010, 14:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, it is better everyone buy lean cars like those from maruti suzuki and park it in the small space available on the road and have a nice peaceful contented full night sleep without bothering about anyone making a dent or a scratch.

Also, if it is a common car like wagonR, santro, in common colour miscreants wont scratch your car with key/ stone.
Old 19th May 2010, 14:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

I have lots of parking problem :( I have to park my car very neatly & fit into two other cars. We have very narrow space & 6 cars are fitted there. I hardly open the door & get into the car. While reverse is also a lot of pain. My family has to get out of the car before i park else they are unable to open the door, its so close.

Our other car, we have to park somewhere else as we dont have sufficient car parking available. Cant think of taking big car (safari, innova, Scorpio types)with my current parking place.
Old 19th May 2010, 16:10   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
It might be cheaper to negotiate a slightly higher rental for your existing parking space for a sedan
Have tried doing that, but they wont budge from their decision as volume speaks for them.
Old 19th May 2010, 16:32   #23
BHPian

The esteem fits into the parking space with a bit of careful reversing.

The parking space in my aptmnt as such is long, and wide enough for a sedan like Honda city, however there are two pillars on either side of the parking space, and the driveway is a too narrow!

I will be getting another bigger/easier-to-park space, since the residents' association has won a court case against the builder. The space earmarked for 'shops' will be converted to parking area, so the unlucky souls will get better slots.
Old 19th May 2010, 17:34   #24
BHPian

Yes, parking place was a deciding factor in the purchase of a new car. My house has a portico parking fit enough for hatchbacks.

I had in mind Indigo / Ford Ikon Flair as options and had to settle for Wagon-R as the other two wouldn't fit into my portico.

Now, i have to think of remodelling the house / extending portico, so that i can accomodate a bigger car / additional car.
Old 19th May 2010, 19:07   #25
mxx
BHPian

the bigger problem is not parking the current car. But buying a second car. I will have to shell out around 2+ lakhs for extra parking space. :O
Old 20th May 2010, 09:00   #26
BHPian

mxx, we are also facing the same issue. We have a small parking in which we park 1 car and 2 two-wheelers. Also, the parking has wall on one side. Many times, we have deferred buying a second car due to parking space issue. So everyday morning, we discuss or should I say debate on who is going to take the car out.
Old 20th May 2010, 09:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

I went for beat this month and one of the major reason for choosing a small car is a parking problem in our building. I have 2 parking space and I have 3 car's which I am currently using. Parking space is nowadays costing more then a car in and around my space.
Old 20th May 2010, 13:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

yes, usually in appartments there are issues with parking space, which is also charged premium by builders.Now a days yes new buildings are providing better space for parkings, but with rates are almost or more then the cost of new cars.
Old 20th May 2010, 13:25   #29
BHPian

Certainly....I live in gurgaon. Already have 3 cars that barely fit and with my future ambitions on acquiring modern classics...i have no other option but to go back and forth to chandigarh and park the excess vehicles there. Parking is a major problem in NCR. Even in the "posh" colonies i have seen a 911 parked under a cover outside the house.
Old 20th May 2010, 13:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

Voted no.
If need be,i have a Secure parking for at least 100 Cars or may be a lot more.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks