Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2021, 12:16   #91

Dilemma - Tata Nexon XZA+ (S) Diesel : Cancel booking or not?

Hello fellow BHP'ins, newbie here this is my first post. After following this gem of a forum for so many years, finally applied for membership and got through in one go

I owned an XUV500 W6 Manual 2013 model that served us well for over 8 years. In January 2021, niggles started and we decided to sell the car. I was easily able to sell it off and get a decent value.

After a thorough search and my own imposed budgetary constraints, we decided to keep the budget under 15L OTR for an automatic / AMT SUV. We are a family of 5 and space, comfort, road presence, and a commanding driving position of XUV spoiled us. Getting a hatchback or sedan is out of the question. So started my research and TD and considered the following contenders -

XUV300: Younger sibling of my cheetah

Positive points

- Gizmos
- Dual aircon
- Solid build quality

Negative points

- Deja vu feeling in the cabin (after using XUV for 8 years)
- Looks (Disproportionate)
- Cheap plastics
- Too much "Bling"

Ecosport 1.5 AT: Brother-in-law drives one

Positives -

- Solid build
- Spacious
- Ford service pricing
- Looks (Wifey likes it)

Negatives :

- Dated design
- AT in Petrol has niggles
- Petrol FE
- Weird buttons on the dash

Renault Kiger

Positives

- Good engine
- Drive modes
- Spacious
- Does not feel underpowered with 1.0 engine
- Awesome pricing

Negatives

- CVT yet to be launched
- Quirky design
- Renault after-sales

Tata Nexon AMT

Positives

- Safety
- Ground clearance
- Gizmos
- Sound quality
- Spacious (especially at the back)

Negatives

- Its a TATA, quality niggles are frequent
- Service is hit or miss
- Screen size and Instrument cluster

I did not consider - Sonet and Duster. Sonet feels claustrophobic at the back and the pricing is absurd. Duster has quality niggles.

After careful consideration, I booked Nexon XZA+ (S) Diesel. My daily run is above 60 KMs plus once in a month 500 - 600 KM outstation trip. I was open to Nexon petrol AMT, but the FE is disappointing.

Booking experience -

I had placed a request on TATA's website and got a call from Autovikas Wazirpur. I am in Dwarka and they have a branch here as well, but the advisor got the TD car from Wazirpur and promised the car will be delivered from Dwarka. The advisors are courteous and explained all the features and I did a slightly longish TD. I was happy with the performance and space. AMT has its pros and cons, but I felt I would not be a deal-breaker. I am anyways a sedate driver. So on 20th March, I booked the XZA+ (S) version with Sunroof by paying 21K in advance. Wifey insisted that we take the top variant to compensate for the switch from XUV, hence XZA+. The XZA+ (O) version only had connected car tech, spending 50K on just that was not justified. The advisor promised 1 month delivery in Navratras.

Unfortunately, COVID hits, and my entire family tested positive. . But with god's grace, we all recovered.

For 2 weeks, I was not able to follow up on the delivery. Now I am constantly in touch with these guys and they do not have any update.

Earlier, they blamed the delay on the chip shortage and now on Corona. I have no idea if the car has been manufactured or not, they have not been able to share the VIN till now . The advisors have stopped responding to my calls and messages

I am now in a Dilemma, should I keep pushing with TATA?

I just have a booking slip, can I escalate this? Because of CORONA, I know that I would not be able to drive the car for maybe another month or so. But I have 0 update on whether I will get this even after a month. Where can I escalate?

Another option is to cancel the booking and go hunting again. We now have time on our hands and can maybe consider models that are getting launched soon (Kushaq, Taigun, Kamiq etc.) but not sure if they will be launched soon. The requirements are - Diesel Auto / AMT SUV'ish under 15L OTR.

Please share your views on my dilemma and advise what should I do

Last edited by Aditya : 21st April 2021 at 21:36. Reason: Extra smileys deleted, SMS language
Old 21st April 2021, 13:09   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Dilemma - Tata Nexon XZA+ (S) Diesel : Cancel booking or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devbhola View Post
I just have a booking slip, can I escalate this? Because of CORONA, I know that I would not be able to drive the car for maybe another month or so. But I have 0 update on whether I will get this even after a month. Where can I escalate?

Another option is to cancel the booking and go hunting again. We now have time on our hands and can maybe consider models that are getting launched soon (Kushaq, Taigun, Kamiq etc.) but not sure if they will be launched soon. The requirements are - Diesel Auto / AMT SUV'ish under 15L OTR.

Diesel Auto and a budget of 15L, you have limited choices in this category which you have already considered - Nexon, XUV300, Sonet. If you cancel now, you would be back to the end of the waiting list and would have to start all over again.

And yes, due to semiconductor shortage, most of the models in the market have high waiting list, be it the XUV or the Nexon.

The new launches won't have diesel options and petrol automatic might not be economical for you.

From your post, I understand you don't need a car urgently. I would say retain your booking (unless of course you don't want to buy a Nexon anymore). Check with you sales advisor and ask for your waiting list number/how many people ahead of you waiting in the queue. If you need faster delivery and are open to getting a different variant/color, talk to your Tata sales advisor and ask him to let you know whenever there's a Nexon D AMT available out of turn. There could be cases of last minute cancellations or finance issues where the buyer is unable to take the car. The dealer would be happy to pass to on to you.

On a slightly different note, are you open to used cars as well? This waiting period could be a good time to research in the market and look for a used Fortuner/Innova/XUV AT available in your budget and in good condition.

Last edited by ashis89 : 21st April 2021 at 13:14.
ashis89 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 13:34   #93
BHPian

We all do agree with the discomfort when the contact person does not respond on time where we need his/her assistance to clear the cloud of confusions/worries. Additionally, the more we hunt for a product the more we get tangled in dilemma.

I completely agree with our fellow sr. member who has explained in a very simple language of the current scenario and other possible solutions.

I hope things get sorted soon and make some wonderful memories with your new ride.
sameerpatel90 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 22:15   #94
BHPian

I've been through the same path and got my Nexon allocated after 3.5 months. Check my updates for more. Escalate through Twitter handle and followup regularly with your SA. Nothing else works.
Diesel cars are being allocated early as per my knowledge. End of the day, if you like Nexon, it's worth the wait.
nadigar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 22:40   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Glad you recovered from Covid.

Urge of getting a new car ASAP is something we couldn't resist, let me put it simple
- If there is no urgency in getting the car, don't push the poor fellow too much
- Get in touch with the next level (either team lead or sales manager) to understand the status
- After all the relationship matters for future dealership experience

- If there is immediate need for the car, try the first escalation at dealership level and if that couldn't help take support for Twitter. This little birdy did magic in past for our fellow members as well

- Don't cancel or avoid a better product for a poor sales executive
- Remember, semi conductor issue is not specific to Nexon. Complete industry is facing this issue and any brand / model can take a hit
Old 21st April 2021, 23:36   #96
BHPian

I would recommend waiting, get yourself clear with whats going on. Cancelling and going car hunting will again take time and you might get your Nexon before you complete that exercise. As far as new launches are concerned, I usually won't like to be the initial buyer, as niggles and problems (if any) tend to spoil the ownership experience if service centres are absolutely clueless (which they are sometimes) about it.
Old 25th April 2021, 16:54   #97

Re: Delivery Waiting Period - How do you deal with it !

Recently booked my first ever car and came across this thread! Have to say that it is nothing more than comforting to know that everyone goes through these emotions!
Old 25th April 2021, 17:42   #98
BHPian

Have booked a Swift AGS before 6 weeks and no visibility until now ! Have tried other options in between like used automatics or other new automatics but swift is heart based booking so still not able to cancel it ! Anyways telling myself that next lockdown is staring at us so better have some patience !
vishnana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 19:18   #99
BHPian

When I was buying my car waiting period was told 4-5 weeks. This was back in 2019. I booked the car on March 18th and the wait began. We wanted the car before our anniversary in end of April. Knowing the timelime was close we started pushing the SA.

Till about 24th they did not give me the VIN number and there were rumors that TATA will increase pricing for all models from April 1st. Now Nexon was priced at 9.95L ex. Showroom and if it crossed 10L the tax would go up from 14% to 17% meaning a straight hit of 30k for me.

I started hunting around for dealers who will have the colour and variant. I was ok to compromise on the color but not on variant.
Finally found one at KHT motors booked and invoiced on 26th and took delivery o 30th March.
So essentially for me the wait was a week. Tata finally increased the price to 9.99L and subsequently in few months to 10.5. Actually I would have gone for the 10.5L model since it cam with complete rear ac unit and additional safety kit, though the 60k increase in price would have costed me 1L on road extra
Old 25th April 2021, 21:55   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnana View Post
Have booked a Swift AGS before 6 weeks and no visibility until now ! Have tried other options in between like used automatics or other new automatics but swift is heart based booking so still not able to cancel it ! Anyways telling myself that next lockdown is staring at us so better have some patience !
The wait continues for me as well. Hang in there! It's almost going to be 4 weeks since I booked mine and the last I heard from them they said it should be allotted this coming week.

Although, out here the registration for new vehicles is currently shut so the wait will continue for a while. Which variant did you book?
Old 26th April 2021, 10:45   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devbhola View Post
I am now in a Dilemma, should I keep pushing with TATA?
By all means, yes. Please do escalate to Dealership Management and also tag Tata Motors on social media. Atleast let them know what you are going through.

Quote:
Waiting for the Kushaq, Taigun etc will set you back by few more months given the full cycle of new car launch, booking process, waiting time etc. May not be the best approach, unless you have that much time on your hands and can wait it out.
Kushaq/Taigun pricing, however, may not suit your 15 lakh budget and they definitely don't come with a diesel option.

On the other hand, have you considered Ertiga (diesel)/XL6 (petrol) as another option?
Going by the recent ownership reports and the delivery times quoted in the "I booked my car" thread (link (The "I Booked my Car" Thread)), these could be reasonable alternatives.
Old 20th September 2021, 14:28   #102
BHPian

Volkswagen Polo, Vento waiting periods hit five month mark

According to a report from Autocar India, certain variants of the Polo and Vento models are currently in high demand, commanding a waiting period of up to five months across the country.

Name:  20210916050519_20200612032150_2020_VW_Polo_1.0_TSI_front_static.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  84.8 KB

The Polo Trendline MPI, Comfortline TSI MT, Highline Plus TSI MT, Highline Plus TSI AT and the GT TSI AT variants are all commanding a waiting period of up to 5 months. Similarly, for the Vento, the Highline TSI MT variant has a five-month waiting period.

Furthermore, VW dealerships have also stopped accepting bookings for the Polo Comfortline MPI and Comfortline TSI AT variants and the Vento Comfortline TSI MT and Highline Plus TSI MT. It’s likely that the manufacturer has a huge backlog of orders for these aforementioned variants and has hence instructed its dealers to stop bookings. However, it’s expected that the order books will be reopened for these variants once the backlog is cleared.

Source: Autocar India
Old 8th October 2021, 17:38   #103
Senior - BHPian

Wanted to buy the XUV700, but thats got a huge waiting period. I wasn't even able to book it in Mumbai, inspite of repeated calls to the dealer.

Tried calling Hyundai to book the Creta Diesel instead. Got a rude shock with the dealer telling me that there is a waiting period of 1 year.

When I expressed shock, he told me that he can get 2 models earlier, (the base variant and executive, one lesser than the top variant). I rubbed my hands with glee, and then he told me that these have a waiting of 6 months only.

Earlier conversations with Tata motors chap for the Nexon EV base version also revealed a long waiting period of 6 months at least.

Either the Indian automotive manufacturers are terribly hamstrung due to the chip shortage or the sales are just booming.

In a quandary as to which car to buy now. Definitely don't want to wait for 1 year.
Old 8th October 2021, 19:02   #104
BHPian

Well my Kicks booking has not gone according to plan. I was told I should be receiving the allocation today. However, there is no information from the dealership side. Booked on 28th September. I was told delivery will happen positively next week. However, with Navaratri holidays, I have lost hope of getting it next week.

Looks like Nissan is prioritising Magnite over Kicks. I can't even cancel my booking and move to another brand as others have waiting period running into months. Out of fire into frying pan I guess.

Worst time to buy a new car.

Last edited by arunramaswamy : 8th October 2021 at 19:04.
arunramaswamy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 22:05   #105

I had to wait 4 months to get my hands on the 2021 Tata Safari. It was after paying the full amount 20 days from booking. Was the longest I had to wait for a car and was indeed painful. For my last car( XUV500), I waited 20 days in 2016 and that seemed long then. Looking at the trend now with few cars having over a year of waiting period, I don't think I will have the patience for that.

Side note, Had experience of purchasing 4 different cars in the US and loved the instant gratification of walking into the dealership and walking out with a brand new car.
ramprebagar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks