Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2010, 13:56   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The demand will never sustain. The 500 odd bookings in roughly two weeks is pretty good for a car that is priced in the 25-30 lakh bracket i.e. initial demand. But i don't see the Santa Fe selling much after this initial response.

Their aim of selling 500-600 is of course in the long-run if I'm not wrong.

This is just the initial 'honeymoon' period where most new cars enjoy a handsome demand. After a few months, just watch the demand fall. Look at the Honda CR-V (which IMO is much more desirable) for example. It just manages double-figures these days. And I won't be surprised if the Santa Fe's sales go the same way.

The only way Hyundai can aim to sell this car in good numbers is if they begin to locally produce this car. SKDs/CKDs are the only answer IMO.
I beg to disagree... because Hyundai had mentioned earlier that they plan to assemble the car in India once it meets their sales expectations. In this case, we can expect the Indian assembly of the cars to begin in very short span of time (though, I understand this may not be feasible in the short run due to capacity constraints).
Probably then the price of the car would be in the range of Endeavour & Fortuner, which is a very good price for the vehicle.
But, I feel that it still may not dethrone the Fortuner, because of the brand.

I feel that i20 has done a great job in uplifting the image of Hyundai brand amongst the car buyers, as many people have shown interest in Santa Fe despite high pricing.
Old 10th November 2010, 19:44   #122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
I beg to disagree... because Hyundai had mentioned earlier that they plan to assemble the car in India once it meets their sales expectations. In this case, we can expect the Indian assembly of the cars to begin in very short span of time (though, I understand this may not be feasible in the short run due to capacity constraints).
Probably then the price of the car would be in the range of Endeavour & Fortuner, which is a very good price for the vehicle.
But, I feel that it still may not dethrone the Fortuner, because of the brand.

I feel that i20 has done a great job in uplifting the image of Hyundai brand amongst the car buyers, as many people have shown interest in Santa Fe despite high pricing.
You've got a point. If Hyundai is looking to assemble the Santa Fe, then the possibility of it doing decently is high. Although there is one thing I don't agree with. Hyundai's plan is to watch the response that the Santa Fe develops over a certain defined period, say a year. And based on that, they would take a call on whether or not to assemble it here. Do you think it will actually do well in its CBU form, with the Fortuner looking solid in the sales charts? And even if they do plan on assembling it here, would it be feasible for them to churn out a few units every month given that they will need to invest a large sum of money in fresh equipment and possibly, another assembly line?

It's a Hyundai and that's the only reason I see for it doing good if not OK. Or else, I wouldn't bank on seeing more Santa Fes than Nissan X-Trails.
Old 10th November 2010, 20:52   #123
Senior - BHPian

Any which way it is, Hyundai, at last, in its third try, has succeeded in the lucrative SUV segment and I am sure the top people at Hyundai would be enjoying this. This in the long term, will surely raise the image of Hyundai and will act as a good precedent for forthcoming launches (if they have planned something) in the 12L+ segment, like the Sonata and Elantra/Avante.

Lets give due credit to Hyundai for coming out with this superb vehicle. I saw one in Chennai today, and I would say it has awesome presence in the crowded roads. Once an empty stretch came up, the Santa Fe, with its stonking CRDi engine, left the other traffic for dust, literally. And with such a big list of features providing safety and comfort, the Santa Fe deserves to succeed in the Indian market.

I hope that Hyundai acts quickly and starts assembling the Santa Fe in India, which will make its price a bit more sensible.
Old 13th November 2010, 22:33   #124
Senior - BHPian

Any TBHPians who have test driven/ordered Santa Fe?

It appears that there are issues related to rattling, creaking noise. A google search reveals lots of issues being reported from US on 2010 model.

Quote:
... Have a 2010 Santa Fe SE. At 2,000 miles, a little over one month of ownership, started hearing a creaking noise on the driver side up in the dash or deep inside when hitting a slight bump or taking a turn ...
Quote:
... my wife has the same identical issues with creaking on the driver side or up on the dash. It is most pronounced when she turns into our driveway. Her Santa Fe is new, with only about 500 miles on the odometer ...
Quote:
... can anybody throw any light on a thunking noise from front RH suspension. Dealer has had car now 4 times and last time he said that he changed some parts in the suspension. Vehicle is just out of warranty, problems has been ongoing for over six months. The noise is very obvious at low speeds and when going over a speed bump or uneven road surface ...
Source.

GTO, any plans of a test drive?
Old 14th November 2010, 00:58   #125
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
It appears that there are issues related to rattling, creaking noise. A google search reveals lots of issues being reported from US on 2010 model.
It do faces problems like above mentioned
Quote:
■ Symptom/Condition
Some Santa Fe (CM) vehicles might exhibit rattle noise originating from the steering gear rack bush while slowly driving on a rough and unpaved road.

■ Cause
Due to abnormal clearance between the rack and the rack bush on the right side of the steering gear box.

■ Countermeasure
Replace the rack bush assembly with the newly improved one
Old 14th November 2010, 14:41   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@sbraj

Pick any car model in the world and google for problems with that car. This should keep you busy for a while.
Old 14th November 2010, 19:57   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@sbraj

Pick any car model in the world and google for problems with that car. This should keep you busy for a while.
Sure, thanks for the tip. This is exactly what I intend to do.

When I am spending 20+ lakhs, I would rather have an informed mind. BTW, I have narrowed down to just three vehicles - Fortuner MT, Captiva LTZ, Santa Fe 4WD. GTO's report is clear on Fortuner, only downside being the brakes. So, I just have to figure out about Santa Fe and Captiva. I guess I would not be that busy.
Old 14th November 2010, 22:43   #128
Senior - BHPian

For those who are not aware of the issues, I suggest them to visit the Hyundai i20 ownership threads.

Steering rattling and suspension noise have been repeatedly reported by multiple owners in the forum. For many owners, Hyundai has not been able to fix the issue after repeated visits to service centers. Issue is still open.

For a change, I am not 'google'-ing. Related TBHP posts - here, here, here, here, and many more out there on the forum.

Santa Fe is a new vehicle in India, hence no ownership threads or feedback yet. One tends to look into overseas market feedbacks for such issues. And to my surprise, I find the same set of issues that i20 owners are facing in India.

Hope this is clear. It is not about maligning a manufacturer by doing armchair punditry. I am a satisfied Hyundai owner (Getz) since 6 years.

Mods, sorry for the back to back post, the edit time window has passed.
Old 14th November 2010, 23:06   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

When I am spending 20+ lakhs, I would rather have an informed mind. BTW, I have narrowed down to just three vehicles - Fortuner MT, Captiva LTZ, Santa Fe 4WD. GTO's report is clear on Fortuner, only downside being the brakes. So, I just have to figure out about Santa Fe and Captiva. I guess I would not be that busy.
You very well are entitled to doing research before plonking your hard earning money.

But one thing i would say is, Fortuner has roll-over issues, brakes and then some other problem. Please do a google before blinding going over for same.

Even captiva has problems. Have a look at complaints coming from London and Australia.

I hope you make an informed decision. Good luck
Old 15th November 2010, 11:52   #130
BHPian

Quote:

I did try out the Fortuner. Great for offroading but found the suspension very taut for city driving, and not sedan like. the fortuner has a terrific road presence though. Very macho. I plumped for the CAPTIVA AWD over the SANTA FE due to the sheer price differential. Features wise, sante has its nose ahead, but not worth paying Rs 5 lac more. BTW, raj, you wont get a TD captiva AWD. You can check out mine if you wish.
Old 15th November 2010, 13:17   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

@sbraj: You will be hard pressed to find a car model in the world where you will find no problems if you google it. Bottom line is that in India with a 20 Lakh budget you have very limited choice of SUVs and you have to pick the lesser of the devils.

BTW regarding the Fortuners brake issues, Toyota quietly upgraded the brakes. Search the forum and you will see the information about some owners who where asked to bring back vehicles for a brake upgrade. One of the owners have even posted before/after pictures. If you don't intend to do much off-road, then a soft roader like Captiva/Santa Fe make more sense.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 15th November 2010 at 13:19.
Old 15th November 2010, 13:34   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fortuner, only downside being the brakes. So, I just have to figure out about Santa Fe and Captiva. I guess I would not be that busy.
Guess this was sorted out

Quote:
@sbraj: You will be hard pressed to find a car model in the world where you will find no problems if you google it. Bottom line is that in India with a 20 Lakh budget you have very limited choice of SUVs and you have to pick the lesser of the devils.

BTW regarding the Fortuners brake issues, Toyota quietly upgraded the brakes. Search the forum and you will see the information about some owners who where asked to bring back vehicles for a brake upgrade. One of the owners have even posted before/after pictures. If you don't intend to do much off-road, then a soft roader like Captiva/Santa Fe make more sense.
Wondering why people dont looks at Xtrail.
Old 15th November 2010, 13:58   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You will be hard pressed to find a car model in the world where you will find no problems if you google it.
A car with some issues which are fixed by service center/manufacturer is different from having issues which the manufacturer is not willing to acknowledge/not able to fix. We all know that Fortuner brakes were upgraded for all those who complained. Whereas in case of i20, the issue still rages on. This aspect is worrisome.

My Getz's 6 year existence has not been problem-free. What matters is whether those problems are addressed and closed.

Quote:
you have to pick the lesser of the devils.
Yes, absolutely right.

Quote:
If you don't intend to do much off-road, then a soft roader like Captiva/Santa Fe make more sense.
Yes, I don't need 4L. But reliability, low TCO, less depreciation of Fortuner brings it into contention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Wondering why people dont looks at Xtrail.
I did not consider as I was looking at 5+2 seater. The third row matters for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgsr View Post
BTW, raj, you wont get a TD captiva AWD. You can check out mine if you wish.
Thanks a ton for that offer. Will PM you in due course of time.

Last edited by sbraj : 15th November 2010 at 14:03.
Old 25th November 2010, 09:04   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

I saw a half page advertisement in the Zigwheels supplement in today's Economic times. If Hyundai has garnered enough bookings to meet this years targeted sales and have closed bookings, why spend lakhs on a half page color advertisement?

I hope they garner enough bookings to go the CKD route. This should hopefully drop the import duty component by about 25%.
Old 25th November 2010, 11:44   #135
Senior - BHPian

I wanted to check out Santa Fe. Called up the two dealers in BLR. Advaith Hyundai does not have a display vehicle. Trident Hyundai has display vehicle in one of their showrooms (which I checked) but they do not have test drive vehicle. I was ok to test drive even the 2WD version, but that is also not available with them.

The dealers take only the bookings (2Lakh). Further, the buyer is contacted directly by Hyundai bypassing the dealer for choice of color, variant etc. This is very curious as Hyundai always communicates through the dealer for other vehicles. On being asked about training given to service staff, response was some service centers do have trained staff on Santa Fe.

Booking will be open next in April time frame, it seems.

Without driving the vehicle one cannot say much about the dynamics. Has anyone here driven it?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks