Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2010, 12:17   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
While we were having the TD of the ANHC, I had 2 negative surprises -
  • No remote boot opening. You have to insert the key every time you want to open the boot from outside. This is something which is nowadays available even in the not-so-premium hatches.
  • No bottle holders in the rear doors. Again available in most hatches.
I already knew that ANHC is short on equipments (CD player,ACC etc) but never expected the above two. The more I see of ANHC, I feel people do buy it mainly because of the herd mentality and status symbol.
Adimicra,
I agree with you that ANHC lacks features and equipments and still it is pricy compared to competetion. These were some of the reasons that bothered me so much that it took about 7-8 months before I finally bought one. I am not sure why others have bought ANHC, but here is why I bought a City V AT almost an year back:
* The engine
* The AT gearbox with paddle shift -- convenience of AT with manual control to a good extent -- best of both worlds, one might argue.
* I had a torn ligament in my left ankle so, I was considering an AT seriously.
* Refinement and so called reliablility (disclaimer: subjective topic) of Honda machines

Believe me, sometimes the lack of equipments and features anoys me a bit. However, once I am behind the wheel those little displeasures fly away through the window as I gain speed. That's the level of intoxication that the drivetrain is able to inject. And I must say that I haven't got that in other vehicles I considered before zeroing on ANHC.

I learnt that you had got a Jazz yourself. At about 8 lacs (?), it's not exactly cheap and it can't be said that Honda has been very generous with features and equipments either in Jazz. But, you are enjoying your machine thoroughly, aren't you? See, that's what matters.

I guess, it's same with most of ANHC owners, though I am sure many of them share the same disappointment about the features or equipments of ANHC.

Until we get a good competitor to ANHC, Honda will keep going like this.

Cheers
Pratim
Old 6th October 2010, 12:30   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratim View Post
Adimicra,
I agree with you that ANHC lacks features and equipments and still it is pricy compared to competetion. These were some of the reasons that bothered me so much that it took about 7-8 months before I finally bought one. I am not sure why others have bought ANHC, but here is why I bought a City V AT almost an year back:
* The engine
* The AT gearbox with paddle shift -- convenience of AT with manual control to a good extent -- best of both worlds, one might argue.
* I had a torn ligament in my left ankle so, I was considering an AT seriously.
* Refinement and so called reliablility (disclaimer: subjective topic) of Honda machines

Believe me, sometimes the lack of equipments and features anoys me a bit. However, once I am behind the wheel those little displeasures fly away through the window as I gain speed. That's the level of intoxication that the drivetrain is able to inject. And I must say that I haven't got that in other vehicles I considered before zeroing on ANHC.

I learnt that you had got a Jazz yourself. At about 8 lacs (?), it's not exactly cheap and it can't be said that Honda has been very generous with features and equipments either in Jazz. But, you are enjoying your machine thoroughly, aren't you? See, that's what matters.

I guess, it's same with most of ANHC owners, though I am sure many of them share the same disappointment about the features or equipments of ANHC.

Until we get a good competitor to ANHC, Honda will keep going like this.

Cheers
Pratim
Looks like some ANHC members are not happy with my comments. I have not criticized anybody from the forum. Please understand that everyone who buys the ANHC do not belong to TBHP and are not as knowledgeable as the ANHC onwers in this forum.Few of my friends are almost on the verge of buying an ANHC without even considering any other cars or its pros and cons. The decision is made even before having a proper look or a TD. That's why I have mentioned about the herd mentality.
As GTO said, only 1/3rd of the people do a proper TD before buying.
Lets not bring Jazz into this discussion as this is all about ANHC. But yes, I do miss some features on the Jazz as I said in my ownership thread. (ACC, spot lights, folding mirrors in particular)
The 2 negative surprises I mentioned is because jazz does come with those things and so I was expecting those features in the ANHC as well!
I understand people might have their own reasons for buying ANHC and I am not questioning that. To each his own and at the end of it, if the owner is happy, nothing else matters. Peace!!

Last edited by adimicra : 6th October 2010 at 12:33.
Old 6th October 2010, 12:58   #33
BANNED

What does ANHC owners do at the at malls, etc when security want to inspect the boot? Shut the engine, get down, run to boot, insert key & open? Can any ANHC owner confirm this?
Quote:
  • No remote boot opening. You have to insert the key every time you want to open the boot from outside.
Old 6th October 2010, 13:01   #34
BHPian

Well adimicra, But you are entitled to criticize a car in the forum. The no remote boot open is a surprise to me. I learnt this from you.I had this feature on my 98 esteem lx.Having said that, i'm not against the features of city.The price just doesn't keep me interested. If not for the new colours offered, 40k for the features is not a big deal. You can get the leather upholstery done at Standley at a lesser price.If Vento overcomes the *** doubts and Linea Tjet improve their network, then City will be priced right. Atleast, 75k less than the present pricing.
Old 6th October 2010, 13:03   #35
Senior - BHPian

I think there is some misunderstanding.
What I meant is there is no boot opening through the remote. If you read my earlier post carefully, what I said is you can't open the boot from outside through the remote.

There is an internal boot release which solves the issue in malls etc.
Hope it is clear.

Last edited by adimicra : 6th October 2010 at 13:06.
Old 6th October 2010, 13:06   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
What does ANHC owners do at the at malls, etc when security want to inspect the boot? Shut the engine, get down, run to boot, insert key & open? Can any ANHC owner confirm this?
Ha ha ha, what he meant is no button for remotely opening the boot when you are outside.

You can open the boot with release available at driver seat.

Last edited by raghu230506 : 6th October 2010 at 13:07.
Old 6th October 2010, 13:17   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Heck no, there is a mechanical lever next to the drivers' seat and when you lift that lo and behold the boot opens by itself. No need to turn off the engine and all that stuff. What a clever little thing they have given no?

And one more thing, you dont have a remote fuel opener as well - they have done away with that one too. One just pushes the fuel lid and it opens, the fuel lid lock is linked to the central locking available on the driver's door.
Old 6th October 2010, 13:19   #38
Senior - BHPian

@diabloo: Nope, they have a lever next to the driver as in other cars. What Adimicra means is that the boot does not unlocks using remote locking key as the doors do.

Neither does the car automatically locks the door after x kmph like in most antitheft autolocks my 6 years old Accent too has it. I do not miss this feature [somehow runs my battery down before its age]. Also no backing alarm, no tweets on lock/unlock mechanism, just indicator flash. No correct lumbar support.

With ANHC the NVH is not great, my mom n wife always knows when I am revving it

The car is just not perfect has its demerits but as Pratim says, its the engine that redeems Honda's management's quirky strategies.

I love the dictum "less is more" after I had a rough time with my VW in Germany. I do not like my car seat to decide on its own when to give up on me [its tough and expensive to repair].

Flurry of answers. This is the most happening thread it seems

Last edited by Sn1p3r : 6th October 2010 at 13:20. Reason: some more answers before mine.
Old 6th October 2010, 13:33   #39
BHPian

Well being an ANHC owner myself i completely agree that Honda has skimped many features. There is cost cutting on small-small things like only one illuminated power window switch, One key with central locking controls, no key access from passenger door side.
However what i feel is that there are only two implementations of features from Honda, either the features works the best amongst all the cars or its not available at all. No car in its class right now combines the three most essential things right now in this segment
1. Fuel efficiency
2. Looks
3. Reliability
4. Fun to drive for enthusiasts too.

Believe me the ANHC would be one car that would appeal to your dad for the fuel efficiency and reliability and to your younger sibling too for its looks and high revving engine.

No car is perfect but once you venture out for a mid sized sedan your heart shall compel you towards a Honda. Attribute it to the looks of Honda cars, or their engines, or their social status, or their reliability. Your mind would pull you towards may be an SX4 or a Fiesta for the VFM thingy, but the heart beats would only race on seeing a Honda.

For all those who think the LE ANHC is costly here's some food for thought
Additions to City
1. Leather Seats - 25 K OEM or any reputed brand
2. Chrome Sash Moulding - 15 K - Original Honda
3. Boot Chrome Garnish - 4 K
5. Leather steering cover and Gear Knob - 2.5 K
6. Getting mud flaps painted at Honda workshop - 1 K that i was asked for.

If one gets them factory fitted for 40 K i guess its not a bad deal. Take my words a factory fit is a factory fit, no matter how experienced your local accessory guy is. Plus you get warranty on these too.

What i do feel is that Honda surely is taking advantage of lack of worthy competitor in pricing its products. I feel the current City should be atleast 50K cheaper.
All these are my personal point of view and are not meant for justifying the pricing of Honda cars.

Last edited by zoom_vroom : 6th October 2010 at 13:35.
zoom_vroom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2010, 13:38   #40
Senior - BHPian

^^How 15k's for a sash moulding reasonable by any stretch of imagination?
Old 6th October 2010, 13:39   #41
BHPian

Recently got a call from a friend from work. We had earlier checked out City at a site close to our homes, and finally booked an AT at the dealer near his worksite (he normally drops his car for service and picks it up after work).

Apparently the first dealer found out he had booked elsewhere and wanted him to visit and get the LE leak from him so that he would postpone the buy (climate control promised!). I visited the showroom and find the classic switch and bait: no CC, but info about leather seats, which would work out the same as the existing offer, because free insurance could not be ensured. He then pitched extra freebies (free Teflon treatment and refund of the essential kit cash equivalent) to sweeten his offer.

I have to say that I'm displeased with the attitude of these brands that nitpick and hand out features in this parsimonious manner. The small cars like the Beat and the Micra are feature packed, and these options do not have the drawbacks of being unproven technology, but are stable, and in themselves improve and make more safe the driving experience. I've lost count the many times I've had to get my eyes off the road to juggle with the controls to get the AC just right and risked road safety. And if anybody offers a model with electric preset operation of mirrors, windows, locks for parking and driving mode (with provision to defeat some or all actions: once got locked out of a car while adjusting the engine idle and it stopped), I will personally collar at least ten acquaintances and sing its praises.

Instead, obsolete, underspecced, limited variants: Grrr. Is it the small volumes in this category that is creating the sellers market, as oppose to the hot hatch segment which is seeing fierce competion, or is it the brands leveraging their position at the top of the market?
Old 6th October 2010, 13:41   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
^^How 15k's for a sash moulding reasonable by any stretch of imagination?
Well extreme_torque i think its justifiable if you see the first gen OHC and see its chrome still bright and not rusted.
People may differ in opinion here but i feel that OEM quality has no match in after market segment.
Also as mentioned earlier i don't justify Honda pricing in my post.

Last edited by zoom_vroom : 6th October 2010 at 13:42.
Old 6th October 2010, 13:50   #43
BANNED

Oh thats good enough. Why complicate by having one more button on the remote?
Quote:
There is an internal boot release which solves the issue in malls etc.
Well, Honda can drop ABS, Airbags, cut price by 1 Lakh to match equipment & cost of Vento Trendline, but I wouldn't recommend that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom_vroom View Post
I feel the current City should be atleast 50K cheaper.

Last edited by diabloo : 6th October 2010 at 13:52.
Old 6th October 2010, 14:00   #44
BHPian

Quote:
There's a lever on the right bottom of driver's seat to open the boot from inside. However, to open the boot from outside, one has to use the key. This is definitely a disappointment. There's no button in the remote controller (key fob) to release the boot lock remotely.

Adimicra,
I am not offended/angry. I just put forward my views. We are in a community and we will have different views, but that's the essence of a forum like this. We are friends.

Cheers
Pratim
Old 6th October 2010, 14:47   #45
BANNED

Can ANHC owners comment on the cabin insulation from tyre/road noise? The engine seemed super quiet, but I found the tyre noise to be way too much, which kind of negates the perceived refinement totally.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks