Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2010, 22:56   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Hyundai must be laughing all the way to the bank with the i-20. Who would have thought of a 6-8 lakh hatch selling 7000+ a month? This also proves that most people care a damn for handling and steering feedback. All they want is a reliable car with a good after sales support, plus good interiors and a choice of engines. Honda must learn from Hyundai and price their upcoming hatch realistically.
Not exactly. The sales have shot off after the launch of Era variants for both petrol and diesel and I can assure you that most of the sales come from these models which are priced in the 5-6 lakh ballpark and not 6-8 lakhs as you said.
Old 2nd October 2010, 23:08   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Not exactly. The sales have shot off after the launch of Era variants for both petrol and diesel and I can assure you that most of the sales come from these models which are priced in the 5-6 lakh ballpark and not 6-8 lakhs as you said.
Maybe. But 1.2 Era is the only model below 5.9L lakhs. All others are 5.9L+ and in Bangalore the majority of the models I have noticed are asta (petrol or diesel).
Old 2nd October 2010, 23:10   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Maybe. But 1.2 Era is the only model below 5.9L lakhs. All others are 5.9L+ and in Bangalore the majority of the models I have noticed are asta (petrol or diesel).
Are you speaking about OTR prices or ex-showroom?
Old 3rd October 2010, 01:50   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvkale2 View Post
It is really very sad to read that FIAT sales are down! In last two consecutive months where all other car sales are shooting up, FIAT is slowly going towards downside. I don't know why they are not aggressively marketing their products?
We really don't have any intention to start any club in 2020 for Puntos/lineas. Rather we expect at least 50% market share by 2020 where every alternate car will be FIAT.
True Fiat lover, surely. L-o-n-g way to go to for Fiat to get a 50% market share by twenty-twenty (A little over ambitious
Every month we get the sales data and people started commenting - Fiat is not doing well. When Fiat has done well? See their position in terms of volume (Sept, 2010; from GTO's data) -

1. Maruti - 95148
2. Hyundai - 31751
3. TATA - 23877
4. M&M - 17540
5. Chevy - 8591
6. Ford - 8380
7. Honda - 7728
8. Toyota - 6235
9. VW - 4664
10. FIAT - 1650
11. Skoda - 1467
12. Nissan - 1243
13. Merc - 663
13. Mitsubishi - 388

I guess nvkale2 is right; either Fiat is making good profit out of selling engines or else making huge profits from the current sales volume.

By the way nobody is saying a word for Ritz. Despite its looks, it selling an average no. of 5738 per month (2009 and 2010 cumulative; expect Dec 2009 as I donn't have the data). Selling more than 5000 units per month is not a joke in today’s market. 5000 may be a dream for Fiat and many other car manufacturers. The average sales figure for few other cars (same sales period) of the segment -

1. Swift - 10117
2. Indica and Vista - 9776
3. Figo - 5682
4. i20 - 4108
5. Punto - 1202

Is this because the product is from Maruti? But so far more than 95000 Ritz buyers had the option to go for the segment leader Swift (if they are Maruti loyal), still they opted for Ritz! What may be the reason? What plays in a prospective car buyers mind – fuel average, looks, brand value, good engine, low on maintenance, existing owner’s views? Any comments?

Last edited by gaddiwale : 3rd October 2010 at 01:56.
Old 3rd October 2010, 06:32   #80
Senior - BHPian

Started seing Micros on the Kochi roads. But not creating any sensation. The golden tinged colours somehow make out the Micras.

Eecos are seen everyehere. The transformation from the high roof Versa to flay roof Eeco has paid rich dividends. Buyers visualize Eeco as the next gen Omni.

Last edited by rajeev k : 3rd October 2010 at 06:33.
Old 3rd October 2010, 10:26   #81
Senior - BHPian

Honda's strategy of offering free insurance on the city seems to have alleviated the Vento scare as for now. Hope that they do not stop all these schemes in the bull run that they are having. Looks like Vento has to do a lot more that just than just distributing talking black boxes to take on the might City.

The lack of a small diesel is surely hurting GM sales. The Beat is not really that bad a car to be doing such low sales. Just saw Transformers 2 yesterday, and I really feel GM should have offered something in similar lines like the 2 tone version in the movie. It looks absolutely smashing.

I am seeing more and more micras on the streets now and they too must surely expedite their diesel version in the markets.

I20 figures have been the most surprising for me. Its does not do anything too well. The diesel is too expensive, the reported AC problems, the lesser performance compared to its similarly hearted i10 sibling and still it sells. Looks too are subjective and looks like the majority of Indians like its looks and interiors. No wonder its really tough for car makers to really judge what sells in India and what does not.

India's fascination with the Swift continues and we must really applaud Maruti for making a 5-6 years old car a segment best seller for all this time.
Old 3rd October 2010, 10:49   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Just looking at the SUV in the 20 Lakh range, looks like none are able to compete effectively with the Toyota Fortuner. The lowering of price for the Endy & Captiva hasn't helped much with the numbers. The Endy used to sell 700+ numbers at a higher price before the Fortuner was launched. With Mitsubishi I cannot think of any comments I can give without getting an infraction.
Old 3rd October 2010, 10:53   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
But so far more than 95000 Ritz buyers had the option to go for the segment leader Swift (if they are Maruti loyal), still they opted for Ritz! What may be the reason? What plays in a prospective car buyers mind – fuel average, looks, brand value, good engine, low on maintenance, existing owner’s views? Any comments?
IMO the 3 major reasons are
1) Many may feel that the Swift is now an outdated car. Granted both cars have the same engines, but I am referring to looks, interiors etc. Many people also don't like the swifts looks (opposite for me, I don't like the Ritz's looks)
2) The Ritz does have more rear legroom as opposed to the swift. A major criteria for many people in India.
3) Very long waiting period for the Swift.
Old 3rd October 2010, 12:02   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
IMO the 3 major reasons are
1) Many may feel that the Swift is now an outdated car. Granted both cars have the same engines, but I am referring to looks, interiors etc. Many people also don't like the swifts looks (opposite for me, I don't like the Ritz's looks)
2) The Ritz does have more rear legroom as opposed to the swift. A major criteria for many people in India.
3) Very long waiting period for the Swift.
The Ritz enjoys better build quality than Swift and also feels less claustrophobic ( from the rear seat occupants view-point)
Old 3rd October 2010, 17:58   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Are you speaking about OTR prices or ex-showroom?
Yes, I was talking about OTR price.
Old 3rd October 2010, 19:48   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most of the i20's i see in North India are Asta's or Sports. Not even Magna leave alone ERA. Also dealer up north are not booking the i20 ERA CRDi and even if some dealer is the waiting period of the same is 4 months.

ERA is a model just to attract customers to the showroom and sell them atleast a MAGNA!
Old 3rd October 2010, 20:32   #87
Senior - BHPian

MOST of the manufacturers were offering discounts + TATA , MAHINDRA , TOYOTA, etc were going to increase their prices in october , may be this is the reason for sales boom !
Old 3rd October 2010, 21:39   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

@GTO: E-class selling more than C-class isn't as far-out a concept as it sounds. Isn't there a reverse law of elasticity for luxury goods? Besides, with the likes of Audi, Skoda, Honda, Toyota etc. offering excellently packaged offerings in the same price range, I think the C (and BMW's 3) are losing out.

BTW, no offence, but is the data for Fiat accurate? I see so many Puntos and especially Lineas in Pune these days. Am not a big fan of the brand but the jaw-dropping looks and national engine one thinks would be an irresistable combination for our compatriots.
Old 3rd October 2010, 21:53   #89
BHPian

The capturing major market share doesn't mean that they are the best cars,in it's class, available in the market.It just reflects average Indian buyers ignorance. When i20 was launched it was perceived as an over expensive hatch. Once Jazz had launched it has taken that position and redefined the premium hatch boundary. I think logically this has helped the i20 to get a VFM position.(If not Honda at least Hyundai). An average Indian buyer need to get more educated about cars.(I hope reasonably good figures of Polo and Figo will help in this way.)
Old 3rd October 2010, 22:47   #90
Senior - BHPian

i20 sales are spectacular.
Maruti should serously consider getting the New swift soon to ward off future threats from the i20.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks