Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2012, 18:43   #346
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Steering Feel & Feedback - Your Nominees for the Best & the Worst!

Indica has an HPS.
But it feels quite "zonked" when you're driving it. Basically things have moved on and once one has experienced better things, it is difficult to go back and make a re-adjustment to something less advanced and/ or of an older spec/ quality etc.
When the first cars with PS came out, it was such a refreshing change from our old manual steering Ambys, Jeeps and so on. Now that all these new fangled technologies are available, those early gen PS's feel no good anymore! It is easy to get used to better things in life but very hard to go back to the older stuff once one has experienced better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
I'm not sure if the Indica has a HPS like the Esteem Di, but I like the Esteem's HPS because it does not have a 'dead center' i.e. a point at which you try to turn the steering slightly but there's no response from the steering.
Old 22nd January 2012, 20:09   #347
BHPian

I probably own the best and worst (according to this poll) cars when it comes to steering feedback. The fiesta is just superb, but my wife says its too much on her arms in the city. She just loves the i20 for the light steering. One question I have for people who have the I20 and who have had that steering rattle "fix" done. Does the steering feel different after the fix? I feel that the steering requires more effort after the fix and it doesnt feel super light like before.
Old 22nd January 2012, 20:24   #348
Team-BHP Support

The Good:

- Ford Ikon 1.6: Well, we had one, and it was a brilliant drive. The combination of that wonderful gearbox and steering-wheel left me in awe. It's sad that I didn't get to drive it much, as we had sold it before I acquired my licence.

- Ford Fiesta 1.6: The Fiesta picked up where the Ikon left off. Near perfect steering. Phenomenal feedback and just the right amount of weighty-feel. I loved it to bits when I'd driven a friend's.

- Maruti Swift: I've driven one quite a lot, and I can say very categorically that it was splendid. Yes, it did feel too light a few times, but I loved the way it would kick-back, almost JWRC like. It can change direction like a housefly! I presume the new Swift is just as much fun.

- Hyundai Santro Xing: My 8 year old Xing is not bad at all, actually. The steering gives you pretty good feedback and is pretty direct too. It's unfortunate that the tall-boy stance and narrow-tyres make it the opposite of a good-handling car.

- Mitsubishi Cedia: Brilliant steering-wheel. 'Nuff said.

The Bad:

- Honda Jazz/Brio: Well, I can't say that they're bad, but some more feel would have been welcome. I felt that the steering in both cars were too light for my liking. While it's butter-smooth and good for city-driving, it doesn't inspire much confidence on highways.

- Hyundai i20: Very neutral, and is not fun at all. At least the Jazz feels a bit fun and the Brio, even more so. But the i20 just feels lifeless. I haven't driven it much, especially on the highway. A little surprising, because I'm pretty pleased with my Santro's steering.

The Ugly:

- Maruti Esteem: It was my friend's car, and I suspect that the steering-wheel lost some of its zip because age managed to catch up with it. But honestly, it felt vague. His older Esteem even had quite a lot of 'play' which was even scarier. Although, you can't hold this against the car. It's probably because it had been battered?

- Mahindra Scorpio: One word. Scary. It was very vague, and felt strange and almost unpredictable. Probably because I'm not used to driving one? However I must mention that this was the older Scorpio, and I'd driven it when it was new, back then.

- Maruti Gypsy (non-PS): Supremely cumbersome to drive. Very heavy and requires lots of patience, arms of steel, and lots of practice. Or maybe I'm just too used to luxuries these days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
It is easy to get used to better things in life but very hard to go back to the older stuff once one has experienced better!
See above *grins*

So very true, Mr. Balan. I cannot drive a non-PS car anymore. In fact, my Santro's power-steering has started feeling heavy these days, especially at parking-speeds. I must mention that it needs a new set of tyres too. *grins*
Old 22nd January 2012, 21:47   #349
Senior - BHPian

when the words steering feel and feedback are mentioned anywhere related to automobile, nothing beats Fiat Linea and Fiat punto in respective segments and also segments above it.

one more nominee for this are the Ford vehicles. the fiesta and the icon. awesome handling too.

the worst of the lot - there are many ranging from honda city to hyundai verna to many maruti cars.
Old 22nd January 2012, 22:43   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
[b][u]
- Maruti Esteem: It was my friend's car, and I suspect that the steering-wheel lost some of its zip because age managed to catch up with it. But honestly, it felt vague. His older Esteem even had quite a lot of 'play' which was even scarier. Although, you can't hold this against the car. It's probably because it had been battered?
Esteem was never recognized as an awesome handler but ugly? I think I will have to agree that you probably feel so because of some issue in your friend's car.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 22nd January 2012 at 23:00.
Old 22nd January 2012, 22:51   #351
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Esteem was never recognized as an awesome handler but ugly? I think I will have to agree that you probably feel so because of some issue in your friend's car.
That's true.

I don't remember the Esteem as a 'bad-handler'. I'm sure a few tweaks here and there could have sorted it out. But unfortunately, the drive in his cars left a lasting impression on me.

Oh, and by the way. How are you doing now?
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2012, 22:59   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
That's true.

I don't remember the Esteem as a 'bad-handler'. I'm sure a few tweaks here and there could have sorted it out. But unfortunately, the drive in his cars left a lasting impression on me.

Oh, and by the way. How are you doing now?
Yeah, maybe your friend's car can do with a little fine tuning. And really appreciate your asking. Am absolutely fine, better, to be precise. One of the couple of things that went out of my head was the teambhp password. Met the mighty GTO on the media day of Expo (As I was there with team motoroids.com) and the noble soul that he is, he helped me with retrieving my account. Really nice to interact with you after such a long time.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2012, 23:31   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Yeah, maybe your friend's car can do with a little fine tuning. And really appreciate your asking. Am absolutely fine, better, to be precise. One of the couple of things that went out of my head was the teambhp password. Met the mighty GTO on the media day of Expo (As I was there with team motoroids.com) and the noble soul that he is, he helped me with retrieving my account. Really nice to interact with you after such a long time.
Hope you are doing well and have recovered fully. The esteem was not a bad handler but it was light and hence had that floaty feeling when doing high speeds. The first time (and last time) I drove my fiance's(now my wife) esteem on a highway, I got this floaty feeling.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 00:14   #354
BHPian

The runner-up - Ford Fiesta/ Ikon/ Figo - delicious steering. Superbly weighted, excellent road feedback, great to hold and feel in control.

The winner - Fiat Linea/ Punto - Even better than the Fords, if that is possible! Just brilliant - a joy to hold the steering at any speed.

The worst ones - Hyundai i20/ old Santro - Terrible. No life in the steering - the only function performed is to turn the tyres !!!
Old 23rd January 2012, 08:28   #355
BHPian

The winner would be the Fiat Linea/Punto with the new Ford Fiesta a close second.

The worst steering feel I have experienced is on the i20 with the Verna coming a close second.
Old 29th January 2012, 11:28   #356

Almost all Ford cars I've driven [except fusion]
Swift, Baleno, first gen. City

Worst Tatas and Hyundais[I currently own one]

Note from Team-Bhp Support: Kindly try to use full and proper English (in you case, capitalization needs some work), just makes it easier for the entire community. Thanks.

Last edited by Amartya : 29th January 2012 at 12:30. Reason: Note left in-line. Kindly take a look. Cheers.
Old 18th March 2012, 17:17   #357
BHPian

Having driven all the hatches available currently in the country (1.2L nd below) my vote for the best in this segment would be:
BEST:
1.new Maruti Swift(what a driver's car)
2. Maruti A-star(god knows why every1 forgets this gem)

Worst:
1. Hyundai Eon
2. Honda Brio...didnt like it much but not as bad as the Eon.
Old 18th March 2012, 19:15   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
Having driven all the hatches available currently in the country (1.2L nd below) my vote for the best in this segment would be:
BEST:
1.new Maruti Swift(what a driver's car)
2. Maruti A-star(god knows why every1 forgets this gem)

Worst:
1. Hyundai Eon
2. Honda Brio...didnt like it much but not as bad as the Eon.
One of my uncles recently bought a new Brio. He has been driving the Old Honda City 1.5 for the past 10 years. He called and said 'Something is wrong with the steering of my new car' . He said 'it is so light something must have come off' He wanted to take it to the A.S.S for rectification. I checked it out and said that's how the steering is, not to worry.
Old 18th March 2012, 19:31   #359
Senior - BHPian

Best - Fiat Punto, Ford Figo
Worst - Zen Estilo
Old 18th March 2012, 20:36   #360
BHPian

The best: Ford Figo, Ford Ikon
The worst: i10, i20,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks