Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2012, 20:49   #361
BHPian

Re: Steering Feel & Feedback - Your Nominees for the Best & the Worst!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
Having driven all the hatches available currently in the country (1.2L nd below) my vote for the best in this segment would be:
BEST:
1.new Maruti Swift(what a driver's car)
2. Maruti A-star(god knows why every1 forgets this gem)
Finally someone said it! Having driven A-Star, I can vouch that it has fantastic handling and makes fun of my Figo's handling at low speed. Can you please tell me one thing though-
Is A-Star's steering heavier than Figo's? I feel that the steering of my friend's A-Star is much heavier than what it should have been. Could be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
Worst:
1. Hyundai Eon
2. Honda Brio...didnt like it much but not as bad as the Eon.
Another thing which general public doesn't agree to! This pic is proof about Eon's handling- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2636426

A lot of people were saying that Brio is so awesome "Amazing engine and amazing handling". I was like, "Are you kidding me?", Brio has such questionable performance (it's so impossible to drive it at low RPM) and the worst handling in its class.
Old 18th March 2012, 21:44   #362
BHPian

I haven't driven many cars, merely the Figo , Grande Punto , WagonR and M800.
Of these, the Figo and Punto feel great to drive, the Wagon-R was so-so, while I barely remember the 800 - it was what I learnt to drive on, but that was 1998 , never drove an 800 since, and didn't drive anything until 2006-7 when we got the WagonR.

Hope to improve the variety in my driving resume soon
Old 18th March 2012, 23:30   #363
Senior - BHPian

BEST

Grande Punto
Ford Ikon
Tata Nano

Worst

Zen estilo
Wagon R
Old 18th March 2012, 23:52   #364
BHPian

Best
Maruti 800 for pure and unassisted feedback and precise info to the driver when cornering it.
Lancer-Perfectly weighed steering at High-speed and light to turn while parking.
BMW 330i and 320D-Simply Perfect!

Worst
Old Zen the EPS steering lacks feedback simply NO feedback at all!
Tata Indica (old gen)- although an HPS unit steering feel is weird and wonky.
Old 19th March 2012, 12:22   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Having driven A-Star, I can vouch that it has fantastic handling and makes fun of my Figo's handling at low speed. Can you please tell me one thing though-
Is A-Star's steering heavier than Figo's? I feel that the steering of my friend's A-Star is much heavier than what it should have been. Could be a problem.
A-star has a slightly heavier steering compared to the other hatches. Just as much as it should be so that it doesnt give the golf cart feel.(no offence to EON). I guess your friend's car does not have a problem cause the A-star steering feels a bit heavier if you are driving another car regularly and the feeling is vice-versa if you drive an A-star regularly.

How is the BEAT,anyone? I didnt drive that car, however the 'cockpit' looks awesome.SPARK is not bad either,though the central speedo and console makes it feel awkward.(to me)
Old 19th March 2012, 12:44   #366
BHPian

Best
Lancer
Swift
Innova
Worst
Santro
Honda City
i20
Old 19th March 2012, 17:15   #367
BHPian

Of all the cars I've driven yet, the Ford cars - Ikon, Old Fiesta, Figo - have razor-sharp steering feel and decent feedback.
The worst one yet, was a Zen Estilo Lxi. The steering perpetually felt over assisted. Incidentally this particular car got totalled in crash, thankfully without any fatalities.
Old 19th March 2012, 17:23   #368
BHPian

Best Steering
Fiesta and the Laura

Worst Steering
New Verna
Old 19th March 2012, 17:38   #369
BHPian

Best - Figo, Fiesta, Ikon, Punto and M800
Worst - i10, i20, zen
Old 19th March 2012, 18:02   #370
Senior - BHPian

For City - All the bottom listed cars are my fav. Should i otherwise say Hyundai series. Hyundai have the best steering for city driving. I dont need any feel or feedback but i need something nimble and easy to operate. Hate the swift steering compared to the I10 inside city.

For longer drives at higher speed - Cant beat the European cars, Swift and Ford cars.

Swift has a better steering compared to the Ford or other cars in its segment when it comes to long drives.

Also i feel that its not just the steering that gives the "feeling" of feedback but its a combination of steering and suspension.

A stiffer suspension with a relatively smooth steering gives a better driving experience to me than a soft suspension.

My thought is that even the body roll is invariably mistaken as a response from steering and hence the combination of steering and suspension plays a bigger role for me.
Old 19th March 2012, 18:09   #371
Senior - BHPian

Of the cars I've driven, I have liked the steering feel of the Fiesta (old-gen) and old non-PS Alto. Of course, besides the steering on my Punto.

I hate the steering of Wagon-R (old-gen).

Others:
I've driven Fabia and Vento (short-distances) and while I don't love their steering, I don't hate them either.

Recently drove new-gen Fiesta and Nissan Sunny as well as part of a TD and I liked the Fiesta's steering. Don't really remember how the Sunny's steering felt, but I simply hated the brakes and hence the car, so any opinion is likely to be biased.

I've driven non-PS Uno, but that was long ago and I don't remember how it felt. I've driven the Octavia (diesel), but that was for a short distance and before I gained any confidence in my driving - so I was concentrating more on getting out of the car before I hurt the car or someone else or myself. I've driven the 520d, but during the drive, I was dreaming I was in heaven and everything was bliss. So I can't rate that either.
Old 20th March 2012, 01:06   #372
Senior - BHPian

From amongst the cars I have driven I am a huge fan of the old Jetta. The car had a some connection with the road and inspired confidence irrespective the speed. I did like the old Fiesta's steering as well. And who can forget the non-assisted Maruti 800's steering. Keeps the car steady even at high speeds.

I just dislike the steering which are really smooth. It maybe a boon in the city but I find em lifeless. The i10, i20 and the type 3 and 4 Honda City are some of the worst I have driven.
Old 17th April 2012, 14:25   #373
Senior - BHPian

The best steering feel among all the cars I have driven has been my Grande Punto.. extremely confidence inspiring even at high speeds!
Worst in my experience is the WagonRs-the old and new gens.

Was surprised to see many stating i10 in the 'worst' list. I have driven the i10 kappa2 extensively and have felt the steering feedback to be average- not too bad, not too good either. Still, nowhere near to the Punto's HPS unit!
Old 17th April 2012, 14:43   #374
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Was surprised to see many stating i10 in the 'worst' list. I have driven the i10 kappa2 extensively and have felt the steering feedback to be average- not too bad, not too good either. Still, nowhere near to the Punto's HPS unit!
i10 has an "artificial" feel to it. It's like the system has been programmed to offer certain resistance to the twirl of the steering wheel.
Old 17th April 2012, 15:29   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
BEST

Grande Punto
Ford Ikon
Tata Nano
Best: The cars i own, Ford Ikon and Tata Nano (surprise, surprise) have great handling. While driving, Nano feels like a small toy car

Worst: Eon, i20 (older model).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks