Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2015, 17:05   #421
BHPian

Re: Steering Feel & Feedback - Your Nominees for the Best & the Worst!

Guys,
My 2 cents. Don't leave out the Nano without power steering the feel is just great.
I also feel that the the Baleno steering feel is better than the Ecosport in my experience. I straight off did not like the center stickiness of the swift's steering.
Not much experience otherwise.
Old 25th March 2015, 17:55   #422
Senior - BHPian

My Non-Power steering Nano. ANYDAY feels better even than my Linea.

You get that connect & it feels SO direct.

Odd Choice : I'd say the M S Eeco, though Non-PS, has a light steering. Quite nice for a vehicle that size!
Old 25th March 2015, 18:19   #423
BHPian

Of all the cars I've driven the Hydraulic steering of the FIATs are the good ones in feedback as well as accuracy. Steerings in Palio, Punto, Linea, and found it much better than newer Electronic power steerings. The old zen and esteem also had responsive steering. The new drive by wire steerings do not just feel alive like the older cars but are more comfortable and less effort is needed. I dont intend to hurt any EPS car owners, just my view.
Old 25th March 2015, 18:57   #424
Senior - BHPian

One of the worst steering vehicles I have driven was a Mahindra CJ MDI, if I remember right was the model. It had a turbocharged DI engine and did good speeds on the open road for a soft top jeep.

It was a uncle's vehicle and was used in Kerala and I used to take it for a spin when we visit. My cousin and me nicknamed in 'Kamakazie' because of its ability to go head on to the opposite direction when braking(due to one of the brakes being worn more) and added was the excessive steering play which had to be corrected constantly. The steering wheel cannot be held straight for 3-4 seconds.

When it comes to cars, I had felt Hyundai was very effortless which in turn was convenient ,but not involving. Ford on the other hand was right opposite.
Old 27th March 2015, 14:05   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster_chd View Post
+1. Bolero would either go left or right but won't go straight. It is a full time job to keep the vague steering straight which needs constant adjustments. Try to take your eyes off for a moment (I mean it) and you would realize how close you came to hitting that divider
. Add to that the excessive body roll and relatively poor brakes, it makes me nervous even at speeds of around 60 kph on open highways!! But on broken or rough terrains at lower speeds, its one of best this side of a million rupees.
Mahesh Prasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2015, 14:18   #426
BHPian

I might be biased in opinion of many, but have to give it to Civic. Ad top it up with that feeling of huge depth of dashboard - truly feels like a cockpit!
1lokesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2015, 15:03   #427
Senior - BHPian

From my experience with sedans, the smallish but beautiful steering in Honda Civic seems to have the best balance of feedback and response. It is quite accurate as well and makes the car pretty much "point and shoot".

Btw, purely for feedback, I would vote for some of the manual steering in older cars such as Amby or even some of the present day tractors

Last edited by vasoo : 27th March 2015 at 15:05.
Old 27th March 2015, 15:22   #428
BHPian

Best to worst among the cars I have driven

Figo>>>>Octy(old)>Punto>Alto>Swift>Corsa>i10

My best is Figo, my worst is i10 and I have these two in my garage now and it is always such a groan to drive the i10.
Old 27th March 2015, 15:22   #429
BHPian

Chevrolet Beat I have driven other bigger , costlier cars, but the steering in Beat is pure bliss. Precise , well connected, weighs up nicely- and the active return is just makkhan
Old 16th July 2015, 08:12   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I guess all EPS units will take some time to match up with the excellent hydraulic ones.
Wrote this more than 5 years back and extremely thrilled to say that some of the current EPS units bring the best of both words. Like the one in the new Fiesta. Its nimble with no loss for feel and doesn't put load on the engine. Its brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lokesh View Post
I might be biased in opinion of many, but have to give it to Civic. Ad top it up with that feeling of huge depth of dashboard - truly feels like a cockpit!
Again the same here on the Fiesta, the dash goes on and on in front of the driver. And together with that awesome seating position it certainly feels like a cockpit.
Old 16th July 2015, 08:26   #431
Team-BHP Support

Had to post this after driving few cars and its 2WD counterpart. The new gen 4WD Scorpio's steering is a delight, weighs up really nicely and you simply can't twirl it at any speed. I am not missing my Ford much as far as steering department goes.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 14:45   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Chevrolet Beat... Precise , well connected, weighs up nicely- and the active return is just makkhan
I 100% agree with you.

Apart from Beat petrol I drive Figo Petrol too.

But for steering feel, precision and size, I prefer Beat over Figo.

Add to that the 175 wide rubber had turned Beat in to something delight to drive. I should have changed the tyre from day one. Lesson learned.

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2015, 11:12   #433
BHPian

Of all the cars I have driven my nominees would be as follows(in no particular order):
The Best
1) FIAT Punto evo
2) TATA Nano (non assisted steering)
3) FORD Fiesta (both Classic and new)

Disclaimer: I am not Hyundai basher but they just make machines for comfort, absolutely lacking soul. No offense to BHP-ians who may own the cars listed below.
The Worst:
1) HYUNDAI i-10
2) HYUNDAI Verna
3) HYUNDAI i-20
4) HYUNDAI Xcent

PS: A Verna diesel automatic does duty in our house.
Old 17th July 2015, 11:39   #434
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
But for steering feel, precision and size, I prefer Beat over Figo.

Add to that the 175 wide rubber had turned Beat in to something delight to drive.
I am not contesting your view as everyone can have one's opinion, but this is for the first time I have heard this. Haven't driven a Beat, so can't comment.

Tried a Figo with wider tires? That would be a fair comparison then
Old 17th July 2015, 11:58   #435
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Disclaimer: I am not Hyundai basher but they just make machines for comfort, absolutely lacking soul. No offense to BHP-ians who may own the cars listed below.
The Worst:
1) HYUNDAI i-10
2) HYUNDAI Verna
3) HYUNDAI i-20
4) HYUNDAI Xcent
I'm in both the camps, Ford and Hyundai. I've heard that the current generation of Hyundai's are much better in feel. Still haven't tried, so only hearsay.
However, why I barged in was to give a couple of outliers. One, the old elantra. Two, surprisingly, the Tucson. Yes. An SUV, and I say this with a fiesta 1.6 being the staple drive.

Last edited by mayankk : 17th July 2015 at 12:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks