Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:35   #1366
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Is the grill similar to the exisiting 2.2 DICOR, i.e. just 3 horizontal lines with the T in the centre of the middle line, or a mesh type? At least I can't make out clearly from these pics!

Cheers,
Vikram
From some of the close up photos as well as some sightings on the Pune-Bangalore highway, the grille is a black honeycomb type mesh. But that may simply be further camouflage to hide the final look. Lets wait for a few days to see.
Old 2nd January 2012, 16:37   #1367
BHPian

Tata Merlin will be called Safari Storm"

Today's NEWS ---- The Merlin name was more of a codename for the refreshed Safari project and that Tata Motors would be calling it as "Safari Storm"
Old 2nd January 2012, 17:51   #1368
BHPian

Re: Tata Merlin will be called Safari Storm"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Today's NEWS ---- The Merlin name was more of a codename for the refreshed Safari project and that Tata Motors would be calling it as "Safari Storm"
I would have preferred the Merlin name than the strome/storm, even if the safari is not based on the LR platform or does not live up to the hype, merlin would have suited it better, just my 2 cents in

-Sajan
Old 2nd January 2012, 18:23   #1369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
I would have preferred the Merlin name than the strome/storm, even if the safari is not based on the LR platform or does not live up to the hype, merlin would have suited it better, just my 2 cents in

-Sajan
Yes - expected it to be Merlin.

Tata Manza & Tata Merlin would sound good instead of Tata Indigo Manza/ Tata Safari Storm.
Old 2nd January 2012, 21:11   #1370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
Yes - expected it to be Merlin.

Tata Manza & Tata Merlin would sound good instead of Tata Indigo Manza/ Tata Safari Storm.
If this news is indeed true then its a very poor naming strategy by TATA IMHO. Storm does not go too well with the understated, mature looks of the car. Moreover, we already had the Bolero Storm. Why did TATA have to copy that?
Old 3rd January 2012, 10:04   #1371
BHPian

Saw a cameo-ed Safari Merlin a.k.a storm near Kanchipuram on the way back from Bangalore. The driver turned into a hotel parking lot before I could click a picture.
Old 3rd January 2012, 11:53   #1372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
If this news is indeed true then its a very poor naming strategy by TATA IMHO. Storm does not go too well with the understated, mature looks of the car. Moreover, we already had the Bolero Storm. Why did TATA have to copy that?
Mahindra copied from Tata. In 2001 (if I remember right), Tata had an internal study based on Safari called the Safari Storm. It was revealed to the media as well and was well covered by all magazines.

So I think the Tata Safari Storm came much before the Bolero Storm. Whether the name is good enough, I can't judge.
Old 3rd January 2012, 12:25   #1373
Senior - BHPian

Why cant they have more slope on the windshield instead of a straightened vertical look? This gives it a boxy look I think.
Old 3rd January 2012, 12:43   #1374
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

1) Any further slope on the winshield will get it closer to Aria looks - which are not sufficently butch for a pure SUV.

2) If they indeed call it the Safari Storm - I will be among those who like the name. Merlin is definately unlikely but it could simply be Safari 2012, but the Storm addon does make it sound grander. (Anything is fine as long as they dont call it Safari Grande)

3) Don't know what the 4X4 system would be (Like Aria AWD 4X4 or Like current Safari which is 4X4 but not AWD or like Fortuner which is both AWD & 4X4). I prefer the AWD with 4X4 H & L modes like in the fortuner the most followed next by the Aria like AWD rather than the current safari 4X4 modes which are usefull only when really going off road but cannot be used in times of oil spils, moderately rough roads at high speed, etc when one is at high speed and suddenly encounters a situation where AWD would be usable rather than specifically choosing to move to a specific 4X4 mode. It is more a call about what is pratically more usable AWD or 4X4. 4X4 modes being essential for pure offroading is a no brainer but in most other situations I feel that AWD is better.
Old 4th January 2012, 20:27   #1375
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@ACM:

I doubht you will get AWD with Low range as this requires a center differential that Tata doesn't have. Given the pricing and volumes of Merlin, I doubht it makes financial sense for Tata to Offer this. So mostly likely it will either be the Aria type or Safari type.

Aria type is a light duty four wheel drive is meant for slippery roads and not off-road. The Safari type is for off-road usage.
Old 4th January 2012, 21:48   #1376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@ACM:

Aria type is a light duty four wheel drive is meant for slippery roads and not off-road. The Safari type is for off-road usage.
I feel it will be Safari type, because they dont want to offer two soft-roaders. and no proper off road vehicle. Hope all our speculations be put to an end at tomorrow's Auto Expo.
Old 5th January 2012, 12:22   #1377
AVR
BHPian

When is the Tata Safari Storm being unveiled? I see a pic on ACI site with the Storm under wraps. Any info?
Old 5th January 2012, 12:28   #1378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
When is the Tata Safari Storm being unveiled? I see a pic on ACI site with the Storm under wraps. Any info?
At 2.30 PM. According a member on another forum, the bookings will start immediately!
safari_lover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 15:05   #1379
BHPian

Today's TOI says TATA to showcase the Merlin at the auto expo. Still confused is it going to be Merlin or Storme???? TATA has really got me guessing here

-Sajan
Old 5th January 2012, 15:07   #1380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Today's TOI says TATA to showcase the Merlin at the auto expo. Still confused is it going to be Merlin or Storme???? TATA has really got me guessing here

-Sajan
It is Safari Storme: From their website

Tata Motors unveils 3 new vehicles at Auto Expo 2012
•Tata Safari Storme, the new generation Safari
•Tata Ultra, the new LCV & ICV range
•Tata LPT 3723, India's first 5-axle rigid truck

The new generation Tata Safari Storme is an epitome of style and performance, true to its 4WD pedigree, with a host of technologies and new exteriors and interiors. In the front are a new grill, new projector headlamps and a 'power bulge' on the bonnet. New chrome-tipped twin exhausts, the tailgate in an all-new guise and aerodynamic spoilers distinguish the rear, with the spare tyre placed under the vehicle. Freshly designed roof-rails, ergonomical side footsteps and cladding mark the side view, completing a sportier and muscular look with a hint of the Safari Storme's adventurous character
Luxurious beige seats matched with a leather-wrapped steering wheel, chrome highlighted gear knob, wood-accented dashboard and door trims, a new instrument cluster, chrome-lined speaker grills and inside door handles endow the interiors with opulence. The front seats with fore and aft adjustment and lumbar support make long drives a cruise, while the dual AC with separate integrated roof-mounted blower keeps the entire cabin ambient.
The force of the Safari Storme is in its 2.2L 16-valve common rail (DiCOR) engine (140 PS power; 320 Nm torque) with a variable geometry turbo, mated with a 5-speed manual transmission. Electronic shift-on-the-fly (ESOF) enables shifting from 2WD to 4WD even on the move. Best-in-class turning circle radius of 5.4 metres, 200 mm ground clearance, electrically operated ORVMs and a reverse parking system makes driving convenient on any terrain. For safety, there are 4-channel ABS with EBD, disc brakes on all wheels, a new rack-and-pinion steering system, rigid ladder frame construction with hydro-formed long members, crumple zones, side intrusion beams on all doors, collapsible steering column, dual SRS airbags, inertia switch and an auto engine immobiliser.

Last edited by Latheesh : 5th January 2012 at 15:13.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks