Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:50   #46
Team-BHP Support

If Mahindra-Renault would ever facelift the Logan, it would've looked just like this!

Jokes apart, it's a good alternative to the Swift Dzire. But it might be a bit late in the day for Toyota. The new Swift has been caught testing and I'm guessing Maruti will place it a notch higher than where it used to be, given that the competition (in the form of the Figo, i20, Punto, Polo) has upped the ante.

Anyway, I quite like that steering-wheel. It looks great and wouldn't look out-of-place even on a Celica! The flat-bottom bit hints at a sporty-nature, but I'm not sure if it has it.

And what's with the speedo? I mean, it's fine when the instrumentation console has been moved to the centre of the dashboard. But why in the world does it look like a weighing-scale!

The dashboard looks pathetic, but it does the job rather effectively! It's ability to hold 4 water-bottles and chill them really amazes me! Not bad!

Great report Jagguji!
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:52   #47
VMC
BHPian

Nice brief and informative review from Jaggu.
Atleast from the pics I do not like the interiors. They do not look appealling. As Jaggu mentioned, RED does not suit the interiors also.
This was the car a lot of industry analysts were waiting...
I have posted the prices of this car in BLR here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-etios-17.html
cheers
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:57   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
People complain that there is no engine cover , single wiper etc.
The question now is Do you really need an engine cover or are you upset about a single wiper?
If it does the job then im happy with the product.
Well agreed that Toyota has built it to a price based upon their perspective of the Indian customer. A single wiper, or thin seats or an engine cover is the prospective customers perspective. Some of it has got to go with visual appeal and some of it has got to do purely with the fact that, if the competetion has it, then shouldnt my car have it too.
Toyota will always make you happy, because their products are utterly functional and reliable, but there are some who desire aesthetics(not a toyota speciality), and features beyond just pure functionality, whether they use them or not.
Some want defoggers in the rear though in a city like bombay it may nevr get used in its entire lifetime.
So its about perspectives, we all have one.
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:08   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Yes you do.! A great car to rent out but not to own. Companies like Toyota are still underestimating the Indian consumer who is moving up the value chain consistently. Companies like Toyota should reciprocate by launching world cars in India rather than these type of built to price sheet metal boxes. Just a look at the centre console and dashborad is enough for me to reject this car from my list. The integrated headrests both at back and front is atrocious to say the least.Toyota's effort to fool customers with a puny 1.4 engine in a 14 lacs car has already shown the place it deserved. I am perplexed what is the 'Q class' they are talking about?
Hey Poloman, agree with you. What is this Q class which Toyota is shouting from the roof tops?
I am generally very apprehensive of cars which have been built by global names like Toyota only for India or third-world countries. It normally means cutting corners - some of which are evident and some of which are not so evident. If Toyto thinks Etios is a great car, why not launch it in EU and US?

Are there are crash test reports (NCAP) available? 930 kgs is feather-weight - it is same or lower than the B segment hatches.
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:20   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Hey Poloman, agree with you. What is this Q class which Toyota is shouting from the roof tops?
I am generally very apprehensive of cars which have been built by global names like Toyota only for India or third-world countries. It normally means cutting corners - some of which are evident and some of which are not so evident. If Toyto thinks Etios is a great car, why not launch it in EU and US?

Are there are crash test reports (NCAP) available? 930 kgs is feather-weight - it is same or lower than the B segment hatches.
Toyota also got tempted by the sales numbers produced by other brands and decided to give out a cost-effective car for the masses by compromising on the aesthetics. With Toyota we take the quality for granted till now. Lets just hope this one doesnt change that aspect atleast!

Last edited by arunkk : 2nd December 2010 at 10:21.
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:22   #51
BHPian

Super report Jaggu.I still feel Toyota has compromised in order to get a car on road for the budget conscious Indians.
That combined with the Toyota brand has every potential to claim the market share in the entry level sedan category
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:33   #52
Senior - BHPian

Its a great car to see and admire the cost cutting efforts. People will feel happy that every one will be able to afford a Toyota sedan now. But frankly no one will buy it, except the taxi walas, but I guess even they might just give it a miss.

Its like the English in India, everyone thinks all Indians (except himself) speak English poorly.

I am reminded of the Nano story. Every said its a good car, good to own, good VFM etc.. but finally said, no I will not buy it, "you see its a car for the mass market, not me".

Its a car to suit indian economy but not suiting indian mentality.

In fact there was also talks that all the Autowallahs will not buy Nano etc, in the end 506 is what we see now.

Last edited by xingamazon : 2nd December 2010 at 10:34.
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:50   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post

well Euro NCAP ratings for Etios are not yet available, atleast on the NCAP website and they say 'next results - 23rd Feb'...guess they release test results in batches or something!!

Kerb weights of some cars in the Indian market (sorry could not find all crash ratings):
Maruti Dezire - 1010-1035kg
Tata Manza - 1200-1210kg
Maruti Swift (P) - 980-1010kg (4 stars Euro NCAP)
Maruti Swift (D) - 1065-1075kg
Maruti SX4 (P) - 1170-1210kg
ANHC - 1100-1155kg (4 stars ANCAP)
VW Vento (P) - 1120-1180kg
VW Vento (D) - 1190-1220kg
Wagon R - 860-885kg

the jury is not out as yet on the issue 'effect of vehicle weight on crash rating' but here is an interesting read.

peace,
~kg

Last edited by kapilvgupta : 2nd December 2010 at 10:51. Reason: spellings :(
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:09   #54
BHPian

I dont like the Etios too much but I think its great value for money at that price and it being a Toyota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malq View Post
Assuming that the real competition for the Toyota Etios would be the Maruti Suzuki sedans, then D'Zire wins hands down, and for more than just price. Big issue here is that the high-end version of the Etios is still an Etios - but the highest end option from Maruti Suzuki is the SX4, and not the D'Zire.
Looks like you got it all mixed up my friend. SX4 is competion to Linea, Vento, ANHC and not Etios. For that they have Corolla although priced a bit higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The adjustable headrests need to be adjusted for tall and short drivers. The fixed one in the new gen cars like A star, Micra, Nano and Etios are fixed but longer and even for a 6 footer will extend above the head. So the purpose is served. Remember the head restraints are a safety feature during a collision and not to rest your head on while driving.
Yup lot of cars come with it now. I personally feel it is a good thing for cheaper cars to come with fixed head rests as most people in India buying their cars (first generation ownership) do not know why a headrest exists as there is no education given. Thye simply remove it as they feel that its a hindrance for people at the back seat as they cannot see more clearly. Trus me I have seen and interacted with a lot of educated people on this one. But I guess the higher end variant should have come with adjustable ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghatotkatch View Post
Central dashboard in a sedan is just impossible to digest for me. It reminds me of the chevy spark and the nano. Cant believe a Toyota car has come out bummer on the interiors.
What people need to understand is that this design has been in Toyotas for ages now. Their Yaris and Vios and Echo have been coming with a centre dash for generations. Its more like Nano copied it. So, I dont see why one should compare it to that. They have always had centre dashs for their cheaper cars.
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:12   #55
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

On one hand when a Tata Motors does this kind of thing it is called "Value engineering" and "engineered to meet a cost target".

When toyota does it is called "compromising"

why?

I think the concept of an affordable Toyota is a very good thing indeed. And I am personally very happy that a lot more Indians will get to own and use a Toyota car since the company has such a good reputation for reliability overall.

I for one am keenly looking forward to the Etios Hatch. I am sure that it will be streets above say, the Tata Indica or Vista or Ford Figo or Hyundai I10 or whatever.

Let the proof of the pudding be in the eating of it, not in the speculation of whether it is likely to be a "burnt offering" or not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallik9 View Post
Super report Jaggu.I still feel Toyota has compromised in order to get a car on road for the budget conscious Indians.
That combined with the Toyota brand has every potential to claim the market share in the entry level sedan category
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:22   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I for one am keenly looking forward to the Etios Hatch. I am sure that it will be streets above say, the Tata Indica or Vista or Ford Figo or Hyundai I10 or whatever.
While I kind of agree with your post the above seems to undermine the competition. None of the above mentioned cars have been proved unreliable atleast mechanically and I am sure will be much safer than Toyota Liva as far as passive safety is concerned.
All over the world the cars have been getting heavier in a quest to match the ever increasing safety standard and suddenly Toyota coming up with a light budget car doesn't sounds very comforting especially in absence of any crash safety test data. In all probability it will be ultra reliable just like any other Toyota but thats not the only thing we buy a car for.
To put this in perspective, WagonR is considered to be one of the lightest car in the Indian market and one of flimsiest built too. The Liva matches the weight inspite of being bigger and having a larger 1.2 liter engine.

Last edited by akhilesh : 2nd December 2010 at 11:24.
Old 2nd December 2010, 11:56   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Crispy report there @Jaggu. Can you spell the price ranges for the benefit of others ?
Looks like this is going to ruffle quite some feathers after all its a Toyota standing up for quality and A.S.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh_ny View Post
Jaggu, Thanks for the fantastic pics. For everyone's convenience, could you please share the ex showroom prices of all the variants.
Added ex showrrom prices. As soon as OTR prices details are available, will update the same also. Meanwhile if someone has info of the same in major cities, update the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
Jaggu, there is no mention of DIS anywhere. Is it missing or not available in any of the trim levels?
Spec details added in Page 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilvgupta View Post
well Euro NCAP ratings for Etios are not yet available, atleast on the NCAP website and they say 'next results - 23rd Feb'...guess they release test results in batches or something!!
This question was asked to the Cheif Engineer. His reply was: "since India did not have any standards of its own they used Euro NCAP and the results were "good"." Exact rating was not given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
While I kind of agree with your post the above seems to undermine the competition. None of the above mentioned cars have been proved unreliable atleast mechanically and I am sure will be much safer than Toyota Liva as far as passive safety is concerned.
============
To put this in perspective, WagonR is considered to be one of the lightest car in the Indian market and one of flimsiest built too. The Liva matches the weight inspite of being bigger and having a larger 1.2 liter engine.
I cannot agree, weight does not have any direct corelation to safety rating. Its the strength of the metal and how its put together with right crumple zones that determine the safety aspect. Not just the weight or metal gauge.

There are many debate's on this including this So its not as simple equation after-all when it comes to safety.
Old 2nd December 2010, 12:00   #58
BANNED

Nice car for the money, people are just upset because they feel Toyota should not play int low cost market. I bet they spent 95% of those 4 years designing the chassis, engine and tranny and the 5% on the interior design and aesthetics.

The hatch Liva looks more cool IMO.
Old 2nd December 2010, 12:02   #59
BHPian

@jaggu you have put altis by mistake."Uploading details of Altis Spec." u corrected it

The Blr Ex showroom prices are as follows.

J 492528
G -544135
Gs- 594635
V- 638816
Vx- 684314

For Delhi

Etios J price is Rs. 4,96,000
Etios G price is Rs. 5,46,000
Etios V price is Rs. 6,41,100
Etios VX price is Rs. 6,86,000

The difference in features between the top 2 variants V and Vx are
1) MP3/cd player Vs Dvd player
2)No side Skirts Vs side skirts
3)Grey Black vs Red Black interiors,
4) No steering mounted Audio controls Vs steering mounted Audio controls.

V variant makes sense than the top Vx model.

Last edited by muni : 2nd December 2010 at 12:06.
Old 2nd December 2010, 12:09   #60
Senior - BHPian

Nice report there, Jaggu.

And wow! Look at all that torque @ 3K rpm from a petrol engine! I guess it will be a very capable engine; effortless to drive and efficient as well.

The Etios seems to check all the relevant boxes with good effect.
  1. Looks OK
  2. Very Spacious
  3. Capable Engine
  4. VFM pricing
  5. Toyota badge and hopefully the associated bulletproof reliability
Well done Toyota. Now give us that hatch with this engine.

Last edited by deetjohn : 2nd December 2010 at 12:13. Reason: Adding Torque Figures
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks