Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2011, 12:25   #91
BHPian

Re: Report & Pics: Mercedes launch the G55 AMG (G Wagen) in India at 1.10 Crore Ex Mu

WOW!! Truly a classic!! And the Top Gear video is awesome too! Sad that for a car which costs nearly 50 lakhs ( 75,000 pounds), we in India have to pay 1.1 Crore!! Thanks to the taxes!! But one question, doesn't the low exhausts limit its actual off-road capabilities?
Old 18th February 2011, 16:54   #92
BHPian

Re: Report & Pics: Mercedes launch the G55 AMG (G Wagen) in India at 1.10 Crore Ex Mu

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post
Not sure if you know but nearly 60-65 lakhs from that crore is purely taxes. Wish I was a diplomat and didnt have to pay the taxes. Did I mention that it would be another 10-11 lakhs in registration charges.
Darn the government. Imagine how many people would lap up this fine machine. If only they wouldn't keep robbing us with prohibitive taxes . So wish that we could get hold of a diplomat who'd sell us his G-wagen
Old 18th February 2011, 19:45   #93
BHPian

The only real competition to a HUMMER H1. More suited for India as RHD, as capable, easier to maintain with standardized and authorized service repairs and spares cost backed by brilliant Mercedes service points evenly spread across the country with 24x7 roadside help anywhere in India. Would love to tour to Mansarovar & Khardungla. Mumbai floods Im not worried great performance to tear down express highways. Wont lag allot behind in drag races. Not too huge to find a parking. Excellent brand value and exotic timeless appeal. Easy traffic maneuverability. Excellent for all occasional, formal yet casual. great for site visits & family picnics/outings. Cant they manufacture this machine to the same specs in India to save on duty or give it some special concession as theres no Indian competition/substitute even at half its price.
Just a thought, would the Landcruiser, x6, x5, Touareg, Tiguan, Montero or Prado be as capable?
When will I see the Indian forces use these machines?

Last edited by agent4ferrari : 18th February 2011 at 19:51.
Old 18th February 2011, 22:10   #94
BHPian

Re: Report & Pics: Mercedes launch the G55 AMG (G Class) in India at 1.10 Crore Ex Mu

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8er View Post
I love the SUMO pic in the middle order .. I was thinking to myself if I had the money and bought this vehicle I would have definitely been the butt of jokes among friends for having bought a SUMO for soo much (though they know the value of a Merc, friends are friends and they will take every opportunity to make a joke).

Anyways awesome vehicle and very nice pics. Hope to see some on the road soon.
Lolz Dippy could have atleast chosen a better Sumo pic for comparison.

Neat write up Dippy, thanks for sharing this across . The badges V8, AMG, KOMPRESSOR are more than enough to droooool for. I saw the video on the runway, Whoa!!! this car has some power, 700Nm of torque is no bloody joke!!
Old 18th February 2011, 22:38   #95
BHPian

the sumo, bolero, armada and trax, all seemed to have been inspired from the legendary heritage of the several decades old G wagon form, from some angle or the other. Except they were just wannabes of their times and couldn't match in sheer class, quality, performance or durability/ruggedness/capability. Excellent job Dippy! I regret not been able to make it that Sat/Sunday.
Old 18th February 2011, 22:56   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
The growl from the V8 is to die for.

Note the frontal similarties with the Tata Sumo (Pic below for reference sourced from Google)
A SUV to die for ! And as a Sumo owner, even more so (for me).

After a week's separation, I got back my truck today and my in-line 4 sounded sweeet enough. Wonder how that V8 would be !
Old 19th February 2011, 04:09   #97
BHPian

Aweesome. This is one of the favorite vehicles of the Dubai and KSA royal families. I love this vehicle. Do they have a non-amg version? How much does that cost - if it is available?
Old 19th February 2011, 08:48   #98
BHPian

Wow!!!! Breathtaking, however it reminds me of the Mahinda Armada/Bolero from the sides and yes the Tata Sumo from the front, is this vehicle the inspiration for our Indian beasts?
Old 19th February 2011, 15:37   #99
BHPian

Another video link from Youtube .
I am not sure if this is posted here already .

What we normally lack and those abroad have is the capability to carry the 'classic' style forward without compromising the demands of the changed customers .

I really wish if Mahindra or Tata had such an attitude to give the customers in India this kind of a vehicle . I am not forgetting that Mahindra gave us Thar , and undeniably it has its own offroading capabilities , but then it fails in the comfort or quality department , which for sure have made many of the customers away from them .

Back to Topic , I am happy that one of my favourite 'Jeepish' cars can be seen in Indian Roads very soon . But not so happy as I dont think unless I become a gangster or a smuggler I can raise this kind of money .

Cheers to all those who can own it .
Old 19th February 2011, 16:12   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyqed View Post
Aweesome. This is one of the favorite vehicles of the Dubai and KSA royal families. I love this vehicle. Do they have a non-amg version? How much does that cost - if it is available?
Yes they are available in non AMG versions. Infact the G350 Bluetech Diesel would be perfect for India. There is is also a G500 petrol too. And body styles would be SWB, LWB Wagon & Cabriolet as well.

However India gets only the G55 AMG for now.
Old 19th February 2011, 16:17   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Another LOL video.
That too the only remaining Merc that's marketed as the gud ole' "Built unlike any other"

Check out.
Old 19th February 2011, 20:16   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Yes they are available in non AMG versions. Infact the G350 Bluetech Diesel would be perfect for India. There is is also a G500 petrol too. And body styles would be SWB, LWB Wagon & Cabriolet as well.

However India gets only the G55 AMG for now.
Sorry if I missed this while reading through the thread.
Is the G55 AMG a 5-seater or a 7-seater?
Old 19th February 2011, 20:37   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Wonderful, a past G55 owner in the forum!
I think the TBHPian Hanmust also owns a GW; not sure it's an AMG though.

Bombastic pricing indeed...they should have launched the diesel version also.

@vb-san, the G55 AMG is a 5-seater.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 19th February 2011 at 20:43.
Old 20th February 2011, 00:30   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
I think the TBHPian Hanmust also owns a GW; not sure it's an AMG though.

Bombastic pricing indeed...they should have launched the diesel version also.

@vb-san, the G55 AMG is a 5-seater.
Yes, BHPian Hanmust does own a GW(G300 D). It's the only G Wagen in Kerala and its a SWB.
Old 20th February 2011, 11:22   #105
BHPian

It does look like a pimped up bolero from certain angles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks