Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2011, 21:47   #136
BHPian

Re: Honda Siel to recall 57,853 'City' sedans

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
They have actually admitted something is wrong. That's why its a recall. Fit in US and Jazz elsewhere have the same recall for similar spring in the engine. And the number of vehicles recalled is more. Since it comes with 1.5 L engine that is shared by city here.

Since you are addressing the term 'preventive replacement', its an alternative to the term 'recall'. Its to avoid potential disaster from happening. You call it Recall or preventive replacement, its one and the same.

Luckily for customers, because of this problem there have been no known accidents. Otherwise it would have been major cause of worry. Especially who does higher running.

I talked to a guy in my office who has a fit and he said casually - 'its not a big deal, recalls happen, i am gonna go to workshop, get it checked and will see if mine needs replacement. Atleast it won't take my life like the Toyota's do and is not hidden from me'.

This are his words, not exact ones but similar.

While in no way applauding Honda's recall, I feel its a good step. As long as car's engine remains safe, and no damage happens over long term to user and car, what's the big deal?

They haven't explained the delay in recall worldwide. I doubt if they will reply to IVB explaining the same.

Still i appreciate your's and other members trying to get to the root cause, but some things are best left as it is. Get the springs replace and enjoy.

Just my 2 pennies.
Chev - point taken. I would have let go of the "preventive maintenance" but nonsense like its part of the maintenance and process and we check the spring etc etc etc. is worrying. No need to pull punches Honda, we understand its a recall.
Old 25th February 2011, 07:55   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmonkey View Post
Chev - point taken. I would have let go of the "preventive maintenance" but nonsense like its part of the maintenance and process and we check the spring etc etc etc. is worrying. No need to pull punches Honda, we understand its a recall.
Well, it seems even Toyota is doing the same now a days. They are recalling all Toyota and Lexus vehicles again.

Toyota Recalls 2.2 Million Vehicles in U.S. For Potential Gas Pedal Entrapment

So if you get it done as a part of your service or go with appointment, it doesn't matter, since they are gonna check if your car is affected or not and do the needful.

Either ways, you get a car which didn't give problems before and won't give problems after the recall. So why worry. Unless you do a 'Johnny Lever' and say 'Problem hoti toh', 'accident/engine sieze nai hua hota?' (what if the problem had come, accident would have happened or engine would have seized)

Last edited by chevelle : 25th February 2011 at 08:05.
Old 25th February 2011, 09:24   #138
BHPian

Got a call from Deccan Honda saying the part for my ANHC will be arriving on saturday and I got an appointment fixed for Wednesday.
For those who are not aware of the process just fill in the form on the website with your preferred dealer in any city you want (I filled in Deccan Honda, Pune though the car was purchased via Arya Honda, Mumbai). I got the call within a week of filling the form. I was informed that the whole replacement will be done in a approx 3 hours. So far the process is looking good.
Old 25th February 2011, 12:37   #139
BHPian

Same here, car is in for 35K service (31k on odo) today. PuD will be done by Deccan Honda guys, estimated time around 3 hrs. Seems they have around 850 cars in Pune which need this update (means not all engines sold in this period?). Keeping fingers crossed to check out the result.

Can one ask for the replaced parts back in this case?..just a thought.
Old 25th February 2011, 13:20   #140
BHPian

In my car, the replacement of the said spring is going on today. I shall collect the car in the evening and let you know my experiences.
Old 25th February 2011, 13:31   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratim View Post
In my car, the replacement of the said spring is going on today. I shall collect the car in the evening and let you know my experiences.
Oh great, keep us updated

Just got a call from SM, fixed an appointment for this Sunday. As per their service manager

> Total time would be 4-5hrs
> Engine would not be dismantled
> Valve door would be removed to get this done

I don't know how can they do this without opening the top portion of the engine.

As well he says part of this is done during 40k-50k service on the car itseems, if one complains about engine noise to make some settings.

Current replacement is one additional where we are changing a part.

Last edited by raghu230506 : 25th February 2011 at 13:34.
Old 25th February 2011, 14:01   #142
BHPian

The head cover will be removed. I saw the service manual for this. It explains the complete history like What, why and also details the complete procedure for replacing the same. I asked for a xerox, but was refused.
Old 25th February 2011, 14:10   #143
BHPian

Posting from my mobile, hence multiple messages.
Totally 4 springs will be replaced. the service manual is of 11 pages approx. and also details the manner in which the replaced cars can be identified. It will be mentioned in the service manual (either 5LT or LT5, not sure) and also yellow paint needs to be applied some where to identify that it is done on the said car.
Old 25th February 2011, 18:19   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
I saw the service manual for this. It explains the complete history like What, why and also details the complete procedure for replacing the same. I asked for a xerox, but was refused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Posting from my mobile, hence multiple messages.
The Head Cover will be removed. Totally 4 springs will be replaced. the service manual is of 11 pages approx. and also details the manner in which the replaced cars can be identified. It will be mentioned in the service manual (either 5LT or LT5, not sure) and also yellow paint needs to be applied some where to identify that it is done on the said car.

The service manual is proprietory document of the manufacturer / dealer that is not given to the customer as a general practice. Its probably the case with all manufacturers !! If you have some personal contact at the service center, you can lay your hands on it. So, dont worry too much about that.

Head Cover being removed is a cause of concern.

Although it doesnt require dismantling of the complete engine, it cannot be brushed under the carpet as a small job either since it involves tampering with the originally sealed engine.

T BHPians correct me if am wrong.

And why the Yellow Paint - it makes my engine seem like a lesser mortal !!
Cant Honda update the details online ?

Last edited by INDIAN_VAGABOND : 25th February 2011 at 18:29.
Old 25th February 2011, 19:03   #145
BHPian

A small dot in yellow will be kept on the lock latch(fixed on the body) to mark the completion of the job on a particular car.
Old 25th February 2011, 21:08   #146
BHPian

When I had given my car for service day before yesterday, on request for the spring replacement, I was told that Honda will directly inform me about this. However, sameday afternoon I got a call from my SA, Amith, that the lost motion (peculiar name, isn't it?) also need to be replaced in my car, since they felt the car is bit noisy. He asked me to leave the car overnight and collect next day. I had some important work to do on the following day and I needed the car, so , we agreed that this replacement will be done on Friday. Accordingly, I dropped my car today morning.

Got my car back today evening. Here are my feedback after the replacement:
* Car definitely feels quicker in 1st and 2nd gear. Earlier, car in 2nd gear was lethargic.
* engine felt a bit more eagar while driving in full automatic D mode without using the paddle shifters.
* noise I can't clarify, since it was raining outside and there was moderate traffic on ORR.

Few observations:
* this time around, my experience in Whitefiled Honda a notch better than earlier. This includes service as well. No stain marks on seats and properly washed car. Staffs are more cordial than previous occassions.

* I was plesantly surprised by their pro-activeness in suggesting for replacement during service. I thought of mentioning this.

* I got a call today afternoon from them that the replacement of the spring is scehduled for my car. I told them that it is already underway. I thanked them for this.

Last words: Now coming to think about it, I remember having complained during my 2nd service about the lack of responsiveness of the car particularly in 1st & 2nd gear. I think I should be happy with the outcome now, but let me drive the car for a day or two before the final conclusion. But, I am relaxed now, there's no denying about that.

Attached are two photos: 1st one shows the lost motion springs (4 of them) and couple of rubber ring gaskets (what are those used for?) that they have replaced. 2nd one is a close-up of the spring. They are supposed to send those to Honda back. They did not give it to me. Sorry for the low quality images, taken using cellphone camera.

Cheers
Pratim
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Siel to recall 57,853 'City' sedans-image103.jpg  

Honda Siel to recall 57,853 'City' sedans-image104.jpg  

Old 25th February 2011, 21:44   #147
BHPian

Thank you Pratim for the feedback, ur feedback is reassuring. Mine is also due,keep giving your observations.But I still feel that replacing these springs,requires considerable work in engine head section.
Old 25th February 2011, 21:55   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullock-Car View Post
But I still feel that replacing these springs,requires considerable work in engine head section.
I am neither debating this nor confirming this, since I was not present while the job was underway. Wish I was present.

Even otherwise also, I feel that it is best left to them to attend this replacement. They understand this way better than me. I dont think I would have added any value just by standing there. I am okay with opening up the valve head (if that's how they do, as per Raghu, the thread starter) for this correction provided skilled and confident hands are doing it with right set of tools, which I am sure it was. At the end we have to trust someone for almost any work that we get done. Aren't we?

All I say is: take it easy and get it done. Of course, it would have been better if this issue wasn't there. But there's no need to panick.

-Pratim
Old 25th February 2011, 22:57   #149
BHPian

I got the call from Honda today asking me a convenient date for the rectification. I will be getting it fixed on 8th March.Will update on the matter.

Quote:
* Car definitely feels quicker in 1st and 2nd gear. Earlier, car in 2nd gear
Thank you Pratim for the update.
Old 26th February 2011, 06:52   #150
BHPian

Quote:
* Car definitely feels quicker in 1st and 2nd gear. Earlier, car in 2nd gear was lethargic.
* engine felt a bit more eagar while driving in full automatic D mode without using the paddle shifters.
* noise I can't clarify, since it was raining outside and there was moderate traffic on ORR.

Last words: Now coming to think about it, I remember having complained during my 2nd service about the lack of responsiveness of the car particularly in 1st & 2nd gear. I think I should be happy with the outcome now, but let me drive the car for a day or two before the final conclusion. But, I am relaxed now, there's no denying about that.
Pratim: Thank you for your feeedback.
Good to know that it solved one of your lingering issues.
Please do keep us updated on more observations as you put some more miles on your car.

BTW I have 2 ANHC's in close family, out of which one is identified from the replacement batch. This one is driven by the chauffeur. I was always under the impression that every car has its own charateristic about the handling and so I attributed the lack of responsiveness to the car moulding in wear and tear due to the driving style of the chauffeur. This car was a bit low on mileage too.
I hope if I am proved wrong after the replacement of the springs.

Quote:
All I say is: take it easy and get it done. Of course, it would have been better if this issue wasn't there. But there's no need to panick.
Yes, I agree, just relax and take it easy. Haven't yet booked the appointment for replacement as the car is due for 35K servicing soon, should be taken care during the servicing.

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 26th February 2011 at 06:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks