Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2011, 10:59   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Siel to recall 57,853 'City' sedans

Yes, last year in April May some time, 2009 maroon city of my father's friend stalled on road. the car had 7k on the clock and refused to start. It was towed to service center where some problem with engine was detected (dont know exact details).

The company replaced engine parts and gave him a bill of over a lac rupees. Ofcourse, his car was in warranty and he didnt have to pay the bill.

Good move by Honda to put it right. But common Honda, you supposed to be more reliable than Europeans, I have been vouching for your engines for ages now .
Old 18th February 2011, 11:28   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I wonder .......

Would we be as charitable if the recall was coming from Tata!
Well, the real question is...

Would they be as charitable to go for a Mass Recall?
Old 18th February 2011, 11:31   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
In what seems to be a first for the Indian Automotive Industry, .
Why it is always cited as industry first , There are others who did and got bashed for doing this. BTW first Honda recall was Jan 13, 2010 for fire hazard due to Power Window in 2007 City.

Quote:
I wonder .......

Well you know the answer , bashing is reserved for them always.
Old 18th February 2011, 11:47   #49
BHPian

My ANHC needs the replacement of those springs as per the VIN submitted in to the website.
From last service the RPM at the time of start goes to 1.5k (which is higher side as per my view) and it settled down to near 1k after some km drive and there is some automatic engine braking in second and third gears at low speed. I didn't contact the service station as I used to rev it hard up to 4k and above in second and third gear and problem was solved a little bit but I have to do this everytime. So now I think it must be the problem of those springs or what???
Old 18th February 2011, 12:48   #50
BANNED

Re: Honda Siel to recall 57,853 City sedans for faulty Engine parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
In what seems to be a first for the Indian Automotive Industry, Honda Siel Cars India is officially recalling 57,853 units of its super-successful City models over faulty engine parts.

Mods: I could not find any related thread to post this news. If one is there, please move the post.
Earlier , there have been recalls from other manufacturers also .
Old 18th February 2011, 13:02   #51
BHPian

Guys.,

It seems the very correct thing for a ANHC owner to do now is to take the moral high ground regarding this faulty engine part recall and say "Kudos to Honda for makng the recall" .
This is because we are ashamed of publicly accepting the fact that we have been shortchanged by a manufacturer who charges a premium ( and quite lots of it) in the name of reliabilty.

What Honda deserves now is Brickbats and not Kudos - and let ANHC owners like us come out of the closet and be frank about it ...
I dint shell out a premium of 2 lakhs on my sedan to have quality and reliability related issues so soon.

Am heading to the showroom for replacement .. and the grapevine is that the replacement may not just be a permanent solution to the problem, which may have larger engine-reliability linked issues.

I seriously hope this is not a feel good exercise from Honda to cover up some larger issues with the engine ..

Best of luck to the 58000 owners of which am one ...

IVB
Old 18th February 2011, 13:23   #52
Senior - BHPian

^ You made an excellent point here. What adverse effects would this not up to the quality part have caused to other parts of the engine. Especially since many cars would have clocked quite a few miles. I hope Honda as done thorough testing (real testing ) and doing the replacement. Since its a recall, there may be a few other flaws that they may correct without informing the customers or a media, in simple a cover up.

My uncle's HC needs this correction and is totally pissed off with it. Especially since it appeared on most news channels and leading papers. He received atleast 10 calls yesterday night from his friends enquiring if his car was of the affected lot. He is too embarassed with this entire thing.
Old 18th February 2011, 13:29   #53
BHPian

Kudos to Honda for announcing this recall. It will go a long way in increasing customer faith in the company and definitely improve brand value. A recall doesnt just mean the product is defective, it shows the company is listening to customer feedback and continually improving the product. Only a strong company can pull off something like this, where customer feedback is truly worked upon.

Atleast this company had the guts to accept that there is a defect in the product, hope Hyundai learns a lesson or two from this. Hyundai knows for sure there is a problem with the i-20 steering, even the technical staff and vendors accept this but Hyundai just sitting on it playing ostrich. Honda is the one actually "Caring for you...always"
Old 18th February 2011, 14:01   #54
rkg
Senior - BHPian

HONDA is = Quality, reliability.

People pay for the name of HONDA

What do they get? Car with defective engine parts. Not 1% or 2% of sold cars but 100% of them.

Is this the famed QC and reliability of Honda for which they are demanding premium

It means Honda also is not bothered to test their cars before selling
Old 18th February 2011, 14:07   #55
BHPian

My ANHC also comes to this list of ~58000 cars that need this change of spring part. After couple of tries, I have been able to contact Whitefield Honda (from where I purchased and get the car serviced also). I have to give the car for general service, as it has crossed 5000 KM since the last service. I asked if this spring change can be done during the regular service. However, the lady on the phone told me that Honda is handling this directly and I may receive a letter/call/email from Honda directly for scheduling the visit to service centre for this particular change.

I am keeping my fingers crossed and pray that in the mean time, nothing major happens to my car.

BTW, what are the problems/issues caused by this spring when it's weak, working partly, but not completely broken? Any expert opinion on this?

And yes, I did not expect this from Honda in the first place and to be honest I am not happy.

-Pratim
Old 18th February 2011, 14:09   #56
BHPian

more than an embarrassing experience, Honda customers should view this as a public acceptance of the company's manufacturing defect. This goes to show the company is actually working on improving their product.

BTW, can someone please tell me, with reference, if any manufacturer in India has announced a recall of this sort before? If so, please do mention the date of this annoucement, it is only for my record
Old 18th February 2011, 14:14   #57
BHPian

I am sure this not what the owners paid for. After Toyota, now it is Honda. Does these brands have the right to charge 20% premium?

It is true that there have been recalls in the past. But i can't remember one which is such serious. The engine is supposed to be the most reliable part of the car!! Stalling of an engine is not a joke. And as someone has pointed out earlier, if Honda has decided to go for this public exercise, it is indeed a very serious issue and one can only pray that it does take care of the issue reliably. It can not be compared to recalls for making some improvements in the features of a car . I will term this as the 2nd most serious (may not be biggest) recall after the Firestone fiasco in tyres in Europe in early 21st century.

Pity for the city owners, after paying 2lacs more for a car...no one needs to ask them how they feel..somethings need not be asked..but felt.
Old 18th February 2011, 14:25   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
There is an article in today Economic times about Honda doing the recall for the second time within one year. The first one was in Jan 2010 when Honda had recalled some 8K+ cars of the City for replacing the defective power window switch. Any Honda city owners had previously been asked to change the power window switch.
Our NHC was recalled on January regarding faulty power window switch, it's a Aug 08 model, dealer was TVS - Coimbatore.
Old 18th February 2011, 14:47   #59
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I wonder .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Well you know the answer , bashing is reserved for them always.
Sorry to correct you two gentlemen, but you couldn't be more wrong.

Link to Nano Recall Thread

Posting some of the opening comments here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Whatever, still a good move. And since it is being offered free, hopefully most people would go for it. Just one of the many things not planned/accounted for when breaking new ground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
True but this is indeed a very good move from Tata's side. A proactive approach even if late is really worth it, will surely go a long way in regaining the confidence of the buyers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
All said and done, its a good move by Tata. This will further strengthen peoples trust on the brand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
First of all good move from Tata.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Call it a recall or anything else, its a good thing that the Tata's are atleast doing something about rectifying their mistake. Hope the solution helps stop/reduce such incidents.
And that's after Tata even agreed to call a "recall" a "recall". Now, I suggest we get back to the main topic of this thread.
Old 18th February 2011, 15:26   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Its good to know that straight H shown the pro-activeness

What about the slanting H still doing with the steering problem in i20
Wildon my conclusion was that to correct a problem first they must acknowledge there is one. Hyundai is on denial about the rattling. Hyundai is not mature enough to accept a "fine" problem as of now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks