Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2011, 09:47   #61
BHPian

Re: Tata Pixel : A new City Car concept based on the Tata Nano

I really really hope this concept goes beyond the concept stage and actually on the production floor. TATA has hit the hammer in the right spot by introducing this concept in Europe, where the streets are narrower and parking is a huge problem.

Looks like these two initial problems are taken care of by the concept.

Apart from the other cool things, I feel the scissor doors will have to go due to its height that may create problems in some low ceiling areas.

All the best TATA and yes please do bring this car in to production back home.
Cheers!!
Old 5th March 2011, 12:27   #62
BHPian

Wow!!!! its lovely. Please TATA bring it home.

Can any anyone tell me what is the tray kind of thing pulled out at the rear in the first pic.
Old 5th March 2011, 21:10   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
@Ram - Fantastic Video. Thanks for sharing.

Interesting thing about the phone as the universal remote is probably the vehicle startup time. In the video it seemed to take a while for the lady to get things going.
Tata should probably manufacture this as a limited edition and deliver over a year or so, like they did for Nano. even if not 'aam junta', there are many auto enthusiasts who would get one for themselves.
Old 5th March 2011, 22:49   #64
Senior - BHPian

Tata calls it Zero Turn Drive. But shouldn't it be called Zero-drive turn, because it is actually turning fully without moving?? Zero turn should mean that the car does not turn at all, right?
Old 6th March 2011, 23:33   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
What is with the drawer type thingy in the first pic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The "Drawer" at the rear makes it look a refrigerator!
As i mentioned in my post, there was a small hic-up during their demo of the car on the show floor. The doors began to open, but then stopped after moving just a few inches.

Two technicians (shown in the picture) came and opened the rear drawer - where all the circuitry was housed and tried to resolve the fault.

Unfortunate about the incident, however, i was impressed at how neatly the electronics of the show car were stowed away in that rear drawer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Come on, no one will Europe buy a cramped four seater, instead they will prefer spacious two seaters.
Well, the Nano (which this is based on) is hardly cramped at the front seats!! Even making it a two seater will barely make any more room for the front passengers. Also, a 4-seater has a certain mental comfort level in terms of expansion (of family, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Can anyone shed some light on the hinge, latch, and counterbalance mechanism for the door. Does the counterbalance mechanism intrude into the passenger space?
My guess is that they are not counter-balanced at all - and hence the failure during the demo of door opening (battery low on juice etc?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
And is operating the door a one handed or two handed operation?
For the concept - tablet activated (as seen in the video). Though realistically there is probably someone in the audience with a RF, wifi or bluetooth trigger for the doors as the models pretend to open it with the tablet.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th March 2011 at 23:39.
Old 7th March 2011, 00:18   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
When it goes for production the scissor will be cut short to the front seats and rear access will be through pushing co-passenger seat front. Like a typical 3 door hatch.
To keep the scissor doors and some uniqueness, it could be a shorter scissor door and a rear suicide door. (Diablo meets RX-8). Like so :

Tata Pixel : A new City Car concept based on the Tata Nano-suicide-sam_0510-copy-copy.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
Thanks for bringing this up, Can you also let us know what are the other models displayed in TATA stand. I see some Vista but curios to know what else were there.
Will upload the pics soon.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th March 2011 at 00:26.
Old 7th March 2011, 10:07   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
Hmm... How many of us have a garage that is tall enough to get-in / get-out of Pixel?...
Oh that would be simple, you alight outside your garage and then with the door closed, it will be easy pushing the car in with the Low roll friction. Tata might need to add stoppers for wheels as you won't be able to pull the Handbrake inside the Garage
Honestly, Concept is more of a tech extreme and not really very practical, there will be many changes needed before this car can be put on road. A split sliding door will be more practical, if feasible. Also the large glass area is a negative in Indian conditions, it will be only good for Europe. Luggage space won't be part of the design as it will be looked at for strict city/metro use.
Old 10th March 2011, 12:31   #68
BHPian

Wow! This is futuristic, proud that TATA is able to come up with such a neat little package. From the pictures the interiors looks pretty spacious, I hope this will be introduced in INdia.
Old 10th March 2011, 16:06   #69
BHPian

Wow!!! This makes Nano look less cute .

This seems to have plenty of similarities with the Pininfarina Blue Car.
Pininfarina | Pininfarina BlueCar (I was googling for the news about this and bumped into the below link.)

Like many Tata concepts before, hope this too doesn't stop at being just a concept.

This concept looks purely designed for Europe and probably that makes better sense for Tata. This has in it to compete with other international brands in that market.

In India, people are somehow averse to the Tata brand. I keep wondering that IF Etios had the Tata "T" to it, will it have the same response as it is getting now?

Also, as someone mentioned, it might cost as much as a Swift! At that price, in my opinion not many would buy it here.
Old 10th March 2011, 16:14   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsk View Post
In India, people are somehow averse to the Tata brand. I keep wondering that IF Etios had the Tata "T" to it, will it have the same response as it is getting now?

Very true! I wonder too. Our press hasn't been generous to Tatas because they are not known for greasing palms.

If Etios had come out of Tata stable, press would have screamed UGLY in size 30 font. Now that it is a Toyota, all they say is, "well, looks are subjective."

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th March 2011 at 13:48. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 10th March 2011, 17:40   #71
BHPian

The strategy seems to be very clear. Target both ends of the market.

Tata is continuing with its 'nano' theme where they look for small practical compact vehicles and has added a pixel name to go with the size of the vehicle.

On the other hand you have the Aria (which though debatable among the audience here) is in the other segment in terms of size and quality not seen before on Tata vehicles.

Qudos to the team at Tata to come up with such concepts which should be reality soon !
Old 10th March 2011, 19:09   #72
BHPian

Hi
I think tata has one more surpirse package and hopefully should have a ready made market in india. I think tata should launch the vehicle first in india where the market is more forgiving than the european market. (Nano selling in 8000 numbers after enough media report on fire accidents and indifferent sales executives). Neat design, 2.6m turning radius, beautiful doors will be perfect for driving in chennai. There were remarks about european roads being narrow but guys you should visit north chennai where a nano might just scrap through. One thing though any idea about safety features in the car. Cheers.
Old 10th March 2011, 23:48   #73

This is most definitely a step in the right direction for tata. I mean for a company with the caliber and the resources that they have, they really deserve a car which the coming generations can remember them buy. Pixel could be it. If this comes in as the Nano2.0 then i will be the first in queue to buy it! My only concern is that how much will this gem be 'rationalized'?
Old 11th March 2011, 02:51   #74
BHPian

I am not sure who are their target customers are, school kids , driving before 18 years is prohibited here in Europe. I have been staying in Europe for a while and I know for sure the people here do need a big boot and a big power . The power of a 1.2 cc engine is more like a pull of bullock cart here. The brand TATA simply does not exist here, anyway there is no end for TATA's unrealistic dreams. It is simply not an achievement by coming up with a different concept, the market response is also important. No lessons learnt from Nano's fading glory.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th March 2011 at 07:08. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!
Old 11th March 2011, 02:52   #75
BHPian

We haven't heard anything about TML's plans on Pixel yet. However I would like them to implement some of their learning on Europa (and possibly Pixel development) into plain jane NANO before working on any additional variant.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks