Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2006, 08:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio Hybrid!

Just read in a report in the TOI that M&M is coming up with a hybrid Scorpio diesel. The prototypes are already undergoing testing. It will unvieled in the Auto Expo. This is a great step forward for Indian companies, and if I remember correctly, M&M is only the second company in the world (after Mercedes) to offer a diesel electric hybrid. This paves the way for Tata to come up with their own hybrid versions for their next gen UVs.
Old 9th January 2006, 09:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

If this is true, then Mahindra and mahindra must be awarded the most improved company of 2005.

This will be the second blow from Mahindra and mahindra after the debut of the great scorpio.
Old 9th January 2006, 09:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

kewl. is this a 'prototype' stage idea or do they have production plans ? This has got to be good news for our choking cities, and for long distance travel.
Old 9th January 2006, 09:55   #4
Team-BHP Support

Details in todays times of india. It will be unveiled in Auto Expo and is expected to go into production late 2007.
Old 9th January 2006, 17:07   #5
BHPian

Yup fantastic news.
SUVs suck IMO but if they are hybrids then atleast they will be bearable ;-)
Production in 07, proto-type out in AutoExpo.
Old 9th January 2006, 17:19   #6
BHPian

well thats good news. Hybrids are always quite interesting to see. Lets see if they show it off at the Auto expo!!
Old 9th January 2006, 20:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

diesel hybrids are rumoured to be the next most economical solution after the fuel cells; petrol hybrids can never match diesel hybrids in terms of F.E or emissions. if M&M manages to pull this off, well...i might be one of the first in line to appreciate mahindra's pioneering, by booking one of those hybrids...

@sajo: dunno about production models, but i guess there are some opels and lupos with diesel hybrids still undergoing trials..and by the time M&M comes out with it's diesel hybrid, others might already have made it into the foray...
Old 10th January 2006, 07:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

There is no diesel hybrid offered (leaving out hybrid buses). Even the merc is a prototype. If Mahindra pulls this off they will be the first.

I have a feeling they wont.
Old 10th January 2006, 08:14   #9
BHPian

Relevant

Australia has a good number of hybrids of a different kind - CNG and regular fuel. You can switch between the two and most of the cabs have these. In cities such as Delhi, that might make more sense till the electric/fossil fuel hybrids are proven.
Old 10th January 2006, 08:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

there are wee bit hybrids going around in canada. But they have not really caught on.

But I think its more practical in India.
Old 10th January 2006, 08:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
diesel hybrids are rumoured to be the next most economical solution after the fuel cells; petrol hybrids can never match diesel hybrids in terms of F.E or emissions. if M&M manages to pull this off, well...i might be one of the first in line to appreciate mahindra's pioneering, by booking one of those hybrids...

@sajo: dunno about production models, but i guess there are some opels and lupos with diesel hybrids still undergoing trials..and by the time M&M comes out with it's diesel hybrid, others might already have made it into the foray...
hybrids are the order of the day and henceforth such massive undertakin by M&M which if pulled off wud go dwn as revolution of its kind...recent hike in global gas prices have sparked off a rebel of sorts which encapsulates the highly anticipated HYBRID concepts...deisel are far mre effective than petrol as righty put by u..i wud take lot of research n experimentation on its applicabiltiy to indian road conditions n hence would be met with lot of standars to be dealt with...an absolute stern assignment for M&M bt they made SCORPIO to surprise all...who know..lets sit tight n wait for the best to cme...

Last edited by ambylimo : 10th January 2006 at 08:45.
Old 10th January 2006, 11:47   #12
BHPian

M&M had the ability to make it big, just needed a break at it. and the Scorpio has made their dreams come true!

Hybrid Scropios wud be lovely, and wud also become a hit with the Taxis for Call centres as the mileage wud go up in this.
Old 10th January 2006, 14:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
there are wee bit hybrids going around in canada. But they have not really caught on.

But I think its more practical in India.
I think this is not suitable for India, its very unpractical in a country where electric shortages and power rationing is not uncommon. Then again I can see some people thinking it is a godsend, the very same people who like to do dogy things to their power meters like turning them upside down so the meter does not spin.
Old 10th January 2006, 14:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

hybrid's need not be electric. Also, power generation being inefficient and transmission beinf susceptible to theft is not a good enough reason to not support a technology which can de-smog our cities and offer a far cleaner and responsible drive.

Last edited by zenx : 10th January 2006 at 14:50.
Old 10th January 2006, 14:42   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think this is not suitable for India, its very unpractical in a country where electric shortages and power rationing is not uncommon
It does not matter if in india electricity is supplied even 1 hour a day, Hybrids power up their batteries from the waste energy generated during braking and during hard acceleration assist the engine. For an electric car electric supply is a must not for hybrid.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks