Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2019, 21:26   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Motor Vehicles Act: Stricter penalties- Now Cabinet-Approved!

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...678-2019-09-10

Gujarat cuts fines imposed under new MV Act

And this domino effect will be far and wide in the coming weeks.
Old 10th September 2019, 23:43   #167
BHPian

I'm happy that I'm no longer honked at when I stop at a red light, especially in early morning and late hours when traffic is relatively sparse (in the South Delhi area).

Unfortunately, unless there are specific penalties for cutting lanes etc., the behavioral differences are limited to stopping at red lights and getting the PUC certificate.

On PUC, it's almost impossible to get one renewed now without wasting a days productivity. There's a 20 car queue at most petrol pumps all times of the day. I thought to send the car to the workshop for a service + PUC, but it appears my local Toyota dealers PUC machine has been kaput for months now.
ricky_speed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 14:20   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_speed View Post
On PUC, it's almost impossible to get one renewed now without wasting a days productivity. There's a 20 car queue at most petrol pumps all times of the day. .

This could mean that most cars didn't bother getting a PUC done earlier and getting it done now. Nothing unusual observed in Mumbai. They still issue a PUC for Petrol Car without bothering to move their behinds from the comforts of their Omni cars.
Old 11th September 2019, 14:27   #169
BHPian

My colleague's husband was booked for wearing floaters while driving a car. Apparently, you are supposed to wear only shoes, the constable showed the rule as well. I tried searching for this on the net but all I get is that the rule is applicable for two-wheelers nowhere do they talk of cars.

Is this valid?
Old 11th September 2019, 15:16   #170
Senior - BHPian

What is the fine for sunfilms under the new law ?
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 23:25   #171

Some states have reduced (or are planning) the quantum of penalty for offences under the new MV act.

This is surprising, has the MoRTH not take in confidence the state govts before passing the bill? Was there no consultation? How can within a couple of weaks state govts are abandoning the move?
Even a BJP governed state is proposing reduction in penalty.

After a long time the law was amended to enhance the safety of road users. We shouldn’t forget that we have the worlds most deadliest roads. The enhanced penalty will act as a deterrent, inculcate fear in people’s mind, that paying(bribing) 100 to policemen will not do anymore.
The nationals should have fear and respect for the law of the land.

The queue at PUC centres is the proof, people will comply.

I think center govt should ensure that the penalties stays.
We Indians deserve better drive experiences.
Old 15th September 2019, 13:24   #172
BHPian

A loudable move in Hyderabad, where Traffic Violators are being asked to buy Helmets or obtain PUC certificate on the spot instead of being issued with Challans from Cops. I guess this sends out a very positive vibe on the motive. This shows that collection of fine isn't the most important thing. Getting commuters to do the right thing is.

https://www.ndtv.com/hyderabad-news/...akamai-rum=off
JBIBS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 13:38   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsan View Post
Some states have reduced (or are planning) the quantum of penalty for offences under the new MV act.

This is surprising, has the MoRTH not take in confidence the state govts before passing the bill? Was there no consultation? How can within a couple of weaks state govts are abandoning the move?
Even a BJP governed state is proposing reduction in penalty.
After a long time the law was amended to enhance the safety of road users. We shouldn’t forget that we have the worlds most deadliest roads. The enhanced penalty will act as a deterrent, inculcate fear in people’s mind, that paying(bribing) 100 to policemen will not do anymore.
The nationals should have fear and respect for the law of the land.
The queue at PUC centres is the proof, people will comply.
I think center govt should ensure that the penalties stays.
We Indians deserve better drive experiences.
Nice Speech!

Your queries have already been discussed at length in earlier posts on preceding pages that talks about the center/state quandary etc.
Kindly go through the thread and it will give you a complete idea of what and why is it happening.

@JBIBS~ If that is true, it is very commendable on the part of the local Traffic Police. I am not sure how they will manage to follow it up with every person they stop, but nevertheless a step in the right direction to ensure people stay safe on the roads.

Last edited by bigron : 15th September 2019 at 13:54.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 14:12   #174
BHPian

Hilarious to see the PUC lines. People are disciplined at lights — don’t egg to jump from behind. Though bikers are still rampant. Golf Course Extension is still rogue territory. HK light is disciplined well. Good move.
Old 15th September 2019, 16:27   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaLN View Post
My colleague's husband was booked for wearing floaters while driving a car. Apparently, you are supposed to wear only shoes, the constable showed the rule as well. I tried searching for this on the net but all I get is that the rule is applicable for two-wheelers nowhere do they talk of cars.

Is this valid?
Don't know about the validity of this rule but I think it makes sense not to wear anything that could potentially get snagged on one of the pedals. Further, ladies who take off their high heels while driving are at great risk of their shoes finding their way behind the brake pedal, with obviously disastrous consequences. And the same with anything else stored in the driver's footwell, especially a bottle of water.
Old 15th September 2019, 17:18   #176
AWD
BHPian

A little change from my earlier stance, I feel traffic police should be working towards maintaining proper flow of traffic, facilitating the traffic movement. With this in context to traffic fines, someone found to be breaking traffic rules like;

* Jumping traffic lights
* Overspeeding
* Underage driving
* Rash driving
* Driving under influence(drugs, alcohol, medications)
* Wrong parking
* Honking
* Polluting

These should be penalised which put lives of others at risk. While those like Seat Belts & Helmets should be left to drivers to choose as harm if any is to them only.

Whereas RC & Licence should be digitized so that one doesn't need to carry all the time on them & traffic personnel could check on their devices.
AWD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 11:30   #177
BHPian

A good analysis of New Motor Vehicles Act, published in The Hindu today.

https://www.thehindu.com/opinion/lea...le29649952.ece
Old 11th October 2019, 11:53   #178
BHPian

Anyone knows if the fine for sunfilms has been increased as well ? Earlier it was 2k. I have some 70 VLT films in my car so wanna know the fine if got caught.
Old 14th October 2019, 14:54   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
Anyone knows if the fine for sunfilms has been increased as well ? Earlier it was 2k. I have some 70 VLT films in my car so wanna know the fine if got caught.
Since you already know, why not get the films removed instead?

Although I know some people who have a skin condition due to which they keep the tints and have no way but to keep paying the fine.
Old 16th October 2019, 10:48   #180
Senior - BHPian

1.5 lakh violation were cancelled on NH-9 since the sensor were wrongly calibrated to 60kmph. The limit on this road is 70kmph.

Source: https://m.timesofindia.com/india/1-5...w/71605762.cms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks