Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2012, 01:19   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Competition Commission to serve notices to car makers over costly spare parts.

Are notices being served to manufacturers who sell spare parts only thru' A.S.S. or A.S.S. who over-charge them or both?

In any case, hopefully the outcome (if any) should be a good thing.
Old 4th September 2012, 09:33   #77
BANNED

Re: Competition Commission to serve notices to car makers over costly spare parts.

I will love the MRTPC to also get into the act against this monopolistic practice, and also take up the issue of the Workshop Manuals.
Old 4th September 2012, 10:29   #78
BHPian

As far as I know, parts are manufactured by OEM suppliers. Agree the auto makers would be the biggest clients for these manufacturers however I don't think they'd make up for 100% of revenues. I believe some of the inventory would be sold outside to stockist as well.

If so wouldn't the auto makers get away saying they are not in control of the spare parts and rather pass the buck on the manufacturers?
Old 4th September 2012, 10:34   #79
Team-BHP Support

Certain manufacturers force you to buy tires and alloys also through the dealer. I think such practices will come into the radar of CCI.
Its high time the manufacturers are pulled up. They have had a free run in India.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 11:38   #80
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Certain manufacturers force you to buy tires and alloys also through the dealer. I think such practices will come into the radar of CCI.
Its high time the manufacturers are pulled up. They have had a free run in India.
How exactly do they force you to buy tires and alloys through dealers? Do they void the warranty if you buy these elsewhere? Which company is this?
Old 4th September 2012, 11:43   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
How exactly do they force you to buy tires and alloys through dealers? Do they void the warranty if you buy these elsewhere? Which company is this?
Apparently Toyota can void warranty if you source tires from outside. Dealers are known to not do Alignment on tires/alloys puchased from outside. This is unverified info. Have not had the opportunity to test this theory. Will happen at the 10,000kms service.
Old 4th September 2012, 11:51   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rts-sales.html
Old 4th September 2012, 11:52   #83
gemi_kk

The spares of Fiat palio are expensive.
Lower arm costs close to 5000.
Even the shock absorber is around 4900.
So a whopping 20K to change the front suspension.

The spares of Vento and linea are much cheaper and they are 2 segments above palio. The suspension cost is around 10K for both of these cars (Considering only the above spares.)

I hope these are will come into the government radar and they would be priced accordingly, from Now on.....

Old 4th September 2012, 11:55   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Apparently Toyota can void warranty if you source tires from outside. Dealers are known to not do Alignment on tires/alloys puchased from outside. This is unverified info. Have not had the opportunity to test this theory. Will happen at the 10,000kms service.
Hyundai have always bluntly refused to do alignment on alloys. But i don't know if it voids the suspension warranty
Old 4th September 2012, 12:00   #85
BHPian

All car manufacturers void warranty if anything other than OE or OE accessorised parts are used. Toyota is even crazy. A dealer in chennai sold auxilliary lights in his dealership but honored warranty, whereas when we had the same auxilliary lights fitted aftermarket(using proper relay and wiring), a bangalore dealer said, since the parts are not OE, he cannot touch them.

Also dealerships make a huge hue and cry about using "Genuine parts". Air flters and Oil filters are available outside dealerships, but customers are forced to buy from the dealer.

Extreme example: Wind shield washer fluid is not necessary for most of the country as we dont have freezing temps, but dealers charge you for this and dissuade you from using water or soapy water.

I believe the Monopolies and Restrictive Trade Practices Act(M.R.T.P) has been re enacted as the Competition Act 2002 and the Competition Commission of India(C.C.I) is formed under this act.

Mercedes says that apart from the air in the tyres and the diesel in the tank, everything needs to be OE.
Old 4th September 2012, 12:28   #86
BHPian

This topic is already being discussed under 2 separate threads. I request Mods to merge them and delete my this post.

Thread 1:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...scanner-3.html

Thread 2:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-sales-3.html

Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 13:00   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Apparently Toyota can void warranty if you source tires from outside.
I don't think this will stand up in court as long the tyres don't violate any sensible norms laid out by Toyota.

Quote:
Dealers are known to not do Alignment on tires/alloys puchased from outside.
This is no biggie - getting alignment done outside is usually cheaper.
Old 4th September 2012, 13:49   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't think this will stand up in court as long the tyres don't violate any sensible norms laid out by Toyota.

This is no biggie - getting alignment done outside is usually cheaper.
Yes, this is a biggie. If your suspension is giving problems, they can site lack of alignment as reason. Speaking of court. Have you gone to court? I have. Its not somebody everybody can do. Thats why you need bodies like CCI etc., to reign in the companies.
Old 4th September 2012, 13:54   #89
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, this is a biggie. If your suspension is giving problems, they can site lack of alignment as reason.
Yeah - true. I was thinking of the post warranty period.

Quote:
Speaking of court. Have you gone to court? I have. Its not somebody everybody can do. Thats why you need bodies like CCI etc., to reign in the companies.
Sure. I am all for them. I was just generally commenting on the legality of such practices.
Old 4th September 2012, 14:17   #90
BHPian

Re: "Honda, Hyundai, Volkswagen come under CCI scanner"

Quote:
Quote:
With Honda the make/model of tyres are also clearly mentioned along with the Chassis No: and VIN no:. So in case you switch the tyres then you risk your warranty in other words the warranty is not valid.
That's why I insisted in getting City with Michelin allotted instead of Goodyear/MRF.

Cheers
MKPI

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks