Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2007, 22:49   #76
Team-BHP Support

My main worry is the roads. Imagine a F1 car hitting a pothole. I am sure they will have the most compliant suspension setup to deal with the roads. Even the best of roads here may be too bad for a F1 car.

But sure will be good fun if it happens.

I saw on TV an article on this. they said the cost to hold an F1 race here will be equal to the fiscal budget of the state of Maharashtra.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 19th June 2007 at 22:53.
Old 19th June 2007, 22:51   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
They reportedly said the whole operation was ending up as a nett loss for them.
OT but this has been the case with most of Mahathir's grandiose plans including the Putrajaya and Cyberjaya cities. A lot of money and a lot of publicity down the drain with no great results. That includes the much-vaunted MultiMedia Corridor. They got great highways thanks to that, though!
Old 19th June 2007, 23:28   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid
My main worry is the roads. Imagine a F1 car hitting a pothole. I am sure they will have the most compliant suspension setup to deal with the roads. Even the best of roads here may be too bad for a F1 car.
Vidyut, lets not forget that we have race tracks in the country.
And duh, obviously the designated street circuit will be relaid to FIA spec for F1 purpose.
Old 19th June 2007, 23:33   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Vidyut, lets not forget that we have race tracks in the country.
And duh, obviously the designated street circuit will be relaid to FIA spec for F1 purpose.
Yup that's assumed that the roads will be relaid but even then may be difficult to match not impossible but a daunting task with the logsitics.

Are any of the tracks in India upto international standards for any racing event? I dont know as I haven't been to one just asking to know.
Old 19th June 2007, 23:52   #80
Senior - BHPian

F1 is only going to happen if there is strong corporate backing,question is would kingfisher risk all and put a lot of money into formula one especially since they have just gambled on air-deccan.

Would an automobile manufacture[read tata] be willing to do the same.We have time till september until which the IOA is going to have to gather around its sponsors and the way the IOA is functioning right now[rift with sports ministry],I wish this does not become like the Graham ford issue in Cricket.
Old 20th June 2007, 00:20   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Of course,we can!
The size of the logistics might be HUMONGOUS.But,we're not moving the earth here.
A handful of well experienced managers and teams can get the F1 job done here.
i beg to differ here. our babus know only to scratch their a**. we need NEW AIRPORTS (now that is moving earth) which can handle the load, the current ones even with the best managers cannot.

second, our crowd is not ready to pay 2 K or 3 K for the tickets. Please dont expect this to be a cheap spectatre sport. i sincrely think we are not ready at lest for the next 5 years.
Old 20th June 2007, 00:47   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
i beg to differ here. our babus know only to scratch their a**. we need NEW AIRPORTS (now that is moving earth) which can handle the load, the current ones even with the best managers cannot.

second, our crowd is not ready to pay 2 K or 3 K for the tickets. Please dont expect this to be a cheap spectatre sport. i sincrely think we are not ready at lest for the next 5 years.
If we dont have the will, than we wont be ready for the next 50 years. Its a famous saying and I qoute: where there is a will, there is a way. If the govt and the ppl have the will, having an F1 race is a cakewalk, we can even host olympics in 2 years.
Old 20th June 2007, 00:53   #83
Senior - BHPian

There is a lot of co-ordination required between different agencies & if all of them show the same enthusiasm , it could still be possible. Of course there will be the odd problems, where isn't ?
Old 20th June 2007, 01:04   #84
Senior - BHPian

sorry to sound pessimist, but other than the ambey valley i sincerly have not seen any international quality construction.

Kindly keep in mind the current situation. F1 form the first year will NOT be a sport that will give tons of revenue. Why should the govt invest in it ???

If particular sports enthu. people want to they will, but i dont see the govt. investing.

Also our people cant friggin make our city (mumbai) rain ready what will they make a F1 track.
Old 20th June 2007, 10:06   #85
BHPian

Having a F1 race in India sounds delicious the moment you hear about it. But then give it a thought and you can see a lot of problems with the execution of this event as well as the investment.

The cost for building a F1 track is only marginal compared to the other infrastructure that needs to be built around it. If Delhi is going to host a street race, it means that only once a year the circuit is going to be opened. There is no use of the circuit for anything else and the investment on other infrastructure for F1 will go waste. If there is a dedicated track, maybe you can attract some more motor sport events and try and recover the cost. But again building a track has its own challenge which I don't even wanna start thinking about.

There is no way F1 alone can recover the investment. There are plenty of races in Asia and I don't think India really needs to be on the F1 calendar.
Old 20th June 2007, 10:54   #86
BHPian

I think there are many other issues which need funding rather than investing in F1 Racing. Total wastage of funds...that is what i think
Old 20th June 2007, 11:25   #87

I am sure there is a fine print somewhere which says "Phase 1 of F1 will be in 2009 which will only display all cars on a float, Phase 2 will be speed restrictions of 60KM and finally if all goes well, we will have the full race in a decade or so"
And to top it call mostly PWD might be be executing the project . Our govt babus will not leave any stone unturned to make money of this golden oppurtunity.

Note from Support Staff - Please do not use more than 2 smilies per post. We urge you to thoroughly read the rules and annoncments section before posting. Thank you.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 20th June 2007 at 14:25. Reason: Excessive smileys
Old 20th June 2007, 12:12   #88
BHPian

Given the condition of the logistics to support the transportation of cars and other equipments, I think they will have to air drop them directly onto the track and pickup from there after the event.

I hope it will be located quite outside the city limits, like Sepang in Malaysia which is also the place where KUL airport is located. Maybe it would have been good if they constructed the F1 circuit near cities like Bangy or Hyd where all-new airports are being built as per international standards. No offence to NCR-ites
Old 20th June 2007, 13:27   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Given the condition of the logistics to support the transportation of cars and other equipments, I think they will have to air drop them directly onto the track and pickup from there after the event.

I hope it will be located quite outside the city limits, like Sepang in Malaysia which is also the place where KUL airport is located. Maybe it would have been good if they constructed the F1 circuit near cities like Bangy or Hyd where all-new airports are being built as per international standards. No offence to NCR-ites

Delhi would have a brand new airport by 2009. And it will be one of the best. Thank god for the Commonwealth Games.
Old 20th June 2007, 13:38   #90

lol ya... they have already started working on the new airpirt here in delhi + it will be super cool to have a F1 GP to happen here in delhi i m booking my tickets for the next 10 years :P that is if they allow to me to :P but this will certainly increase the tourist here....
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks