Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2007, 20:27   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
Is the engine still available?
I thought the same. But I dont think so. One of the pics show the car near the containers. I guess it was shipped back to Sri Lanka. Anyways it was not on the track yesterday.
Old 29th August 2007, 22:48   #122
BHPian

After wandering through the length and breadth of the track adil and i decided that first right hander after the start finish straight would be the ideal place to catch some action. so we packed our gears and went to the inside of the first corner, got myself a vantage position ( a piece of concrete amidst the thick bushes) and readied myself to shoot the cars through the first right hander (almost a u turn) followed immediately by a chicane. we were informed by the the marshals that there are a few cobras spotted around the place and were asked to be careful, with that constant fear on the back of my mind, i was trying to listen to the faintest of hisses to try and spot the cobra and working out strategies to avoid venom get into my veins, i was patiently waiting for the race to start.

after the ladies event and the indian open, the turbo 2000 or whatever race started. premadasa on the yellow evo was leading the pack and was followed by the red car. after few test shots i got used to the pace of the cars and adjusted the shutter speed in my camera to get some decent panning shots. after a couple of laps, i was closely following the leader on his evo right from the start finish straight to get the car fully on the frame, just as the evo took the right hander, a red lump of metal just darted across the viewfinder, instantly i knew something was terribly wrong and my mind just blanked out, and after a second, i thought that it would be a great moment to capture and instantly fired a number of shots just following the car, then it was a horrific sight to behold.

the car crashed at full speed into the tyre wall, ripped it into pieces and then flew past the trench. adrenaline was all over the body and my heart was pounding, i thought i would be one of the very few to see rizvi driving in his last moments of his life. that moment i heard a voice saying i caught it! caught it!, it was mr.adil who was standing next to me. the race was red flagged and we started to walk across the track and i was expecting to see a blood stained mortal remains of rizvi, my heart was still doing some 100+ bpm and we started to cross the track, i saw a man with racing overalls walking past us, wow it was rizvi walking back to the track and looked like as if he given the car for valet parking. it was a great relief for all of us.

it was the roll cage that protected him from the impact. rtech will tell you guys the story about the roll cage that would surprise many of you.

from a beauty to just a lump of metal.... as it happened

this shot alone made my trip worthwhile.... a big thanks to rtech for convincing me to attend the event.

Old 29th August 2007, 23:14   #123
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

It was scary to see Rizvi go off like that. I was literally in a state of shock. I had seen the car somersault from the tower. I don't know what it would have felt like sitting in the car. I am guessing he should have been doing speeds in excess of 200 kmph. Tifosi, I was infact praying that there were no photographers or marshals where he had gone off. And yes there are many cobras at the track. Imagine trying to avoid a cobra at full throttle in a single seater. Hitting the cobra would have been like going over a full size double decker speedbreaker.

PS: I really don't have a clue on how safe it is. But I guess having a concrete wall at C1 would help matters a lot. This is certainly not the first incident we have seen. The wall might protect cars from rolling. Though the impact on a solid object at such high speeds may also pose a problem. The only other solution I could see is to extend the run off area. I think it is not safe with the current run off area specially when the straight is close to 900mtrs long. And the speeds these cars can manage.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 29th August 2007 at 23:17.
Old 30th August 2007, 00:30   #124
Senior - BHPian

@mclaren1885

Grreat photos brother!!.It's like being there!.

Does anyone have info on the 10th JK Tyre NRC 2007 - Round 4 at Chennai Sep 02??.I missed the last event and i do wanna visit the MMSC track this trip to Chennai!.....
Old 30th August 2007, 01:03   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Results of all races can be found on MyLaps.com || powered by AMB transponders
awesome thanks, been hunting for proper results all this while. Will results for future rounds be put up on this same site?

heres the direct link: MyLaps.com || powered by AMB transponders
Old 30th August 2007, 01:11   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
instantly i knew something was terribly wrong and my mind just blanked out, and after a second, i thought that it would be a great moment to capture and instantly fired a number of shots just following the car, then it was a horrific sight to behold.

the car crashed at full speed into the tyre wall, ripped it into pieces and then flew past the trench.
What exactly did the car hit. Armco, a solid wall? Hitting a tire barrier cant destroy the car like its shown in the pics. you begin to wonder if the track has enough run off for fast cars like the WRX.
Old 30th August 2007, 01:17   #127
Senior - BHPian

I think it did multiple barrel rolls after hitting the tyre barrier MP and that is what caused the damage. At those speeds even soft ground can be quite damaging.
Old 30th August 2007, 13:33   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
awesome thanks, been hunting for proper results all this while. Will results for future rounds be put up on this same site?

heres the direct link: MyLaps.com || powered by AMB transponders
Yes. Results for the next round will be put up on the same site in the same manner. If you sign up and put in a transponder number, it will give you lap by lap details for each driver as well.

This is the best timing and results system available in the market today. And yes, it does cost quite a packet. Lets just say you could be driving a STi for the same amount!
Old 30th August 2007, 13:35   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
you begin to wonder if the track has enough run off for fast cars like the WRX.
The run off area was adequate. However, light rain caused the mud/grass to get compacted and hence, reduce the deceleration effect they would normally have. This will be reworked before the next round along with a proper arnco barrier behind the tyres.
Old 30th August 2007, 15:44   #130
BHPian

Were all the participants from Srilanka for the Foriegn Open?.
Old 30th August 2007, 16:09   #131
Team-BHP Support

NO. They were here for the Indo-Asian GT class. There were no entries for the foreign open.
Old 31st August 2007, 21:31   #132
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Where is Tifosi with all his pics?
Old 2nd September 2007, 16:41   #133
BHPian

Some more pics.

Old 2nd September 2007, 17:45   #134
BHPian

arjun balu - on a class of his own

gill - most agressive of the lot

Old 2nd September 2007, 22:32   #135