Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2010, 14:24   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

GPS does not tell you if the track ahead is washed off. So when you hit a road block you come back to the last point and then cast in one direction ...and again and again tlllyou find a track that is good to continue. GPS helps in bringing you accurately to the same point for a re-attempt. Else in featureless flat it is impossible to bring yourself back on track.
Old 4th December 2010, 15:52   #47
BHPian

Sudev Sir,
i am participating on bike, almost most of the formality done.
regarding GPS unit you have and what i'll need, please suggest and guide me for the same.
Apart from 150 mercedes and 101 BMW's making Aurangabad name all over, we are trying to highlight Aurangabad in Motorsport also, so almost 4 entries ( 2 Xtreme , 1 Xplore, 1 Motoquad) this year for the Desert Storm 2011. lets hope for the best.
Old 6th January 2011, 02:21   #48
BHPian

Re: Desert Storm 2011

Sudev, in the last event DS2010, my SX4 got stuck in sand a couple of times. This time around I wish to use all terrain tyres. Could you guide me with some options (my knowledge is weak in this deptt)?
Old 7th January 2011, 09:39   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesh_evo75 View Post
Sudev Sir,
i am participating on bike, almost most of the formality done.
regarding GPS unit you have and what i'll need, please suggest and guide me for the same.
The best product is Trippy. Costly but best fro bikers. Contact me offline for details. Else Garmin76CSx with charging cable is the alternate. Charging cable - so that at night you can have constant backlit screen for navigation. And yes there are several night stages too in DS11!

I hope you are aware of the TSD Training Camp that I am doing at Mumbai on 16th January. ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2187707 ) If any one is interested they can register and attend.

Quote:
Apart from 150 mercedes and 101 BMW's making Aurangabad name all over, we are trying to highlight Aurangabad in Motorsport also, so almost 4 entries ( 2 Xtreme , 1 Xplore, 1 Motoquad) this year for the Desert Storm 2011. lets hope for the best.
Thanks and appreciate your efforts in promoting motor sport specifically and motoring in general. That is how the sport grows as more people become aware of the events and try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
Sudev, in the last event DS2010, my SX4 got stuck in sand a couple of times. This time around I wish to use all terrain tyres. Could you guide me with some options (my knowledge is weak in this deptt)?
I would suggest a "high" profile tyre rather than "wider" tyre that most performance guys buy. But that would compromise handling and ride. So the best is to use OE size. Some reduction in tyre pressure will help.

As far as tread pattern is concerned do not use heavy studded tyres. Contrary to normal thinking it is not the torque delivery that fails but the sand moves away without offering much resistance to studs.

So more "flat surface" is actually a better thing. And sand driving is all about maintaining momentum and not gunning the engine.

All the best for Desert Storm 2011
Old 7th January 2011, 13:55   #50
Senior - BHPian

Sudev ji, I am interested in some photography of Desert Storm, what do you suggest? Can you point some places where I can station, which is good for photography?
Old 7th January 2011, 13:56   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Join the fun. Depending on your vehicle type I can suggest locations. Area and date(s)?
Old 7th January 2011, 14:00   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Join the fun. Depending on your vehicle type I can suggest locations. Area and date(s)?
SX4 with brand new tyres and recently serviced , Please suggest. 25, 26 and 27 Feb are better for me, but will go with your suggestion

Last edited by rkbharat : 7th January 2011 at 14:06.
Old 7th January 2011, 16:09   #53
Senior - BHPian

With reference to GPS for bikers, check out the MapmyIndia website, they have a product specially made for bikes. It is called TrailBlazer

Again price is an issue, as IIRC it costs around 20k
Old 7th January 2011, 16:48   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Recce fun? Desert Storm 2011

Perception : The best part about organising a cross country rally is getting see far off parts of the country!

Reality: Recce is extremely focused long distance travel with aim to produce a route for the rally. Tiring is too soft a word.

Here is account of a recent recce trip:

Day : -1
Distance: Partly 285kms
Time of travel: 5hour 30 minutes
Started from Noida on 1st evening at 1900hrs and drove all the way to Jaipur. Reached there at 0030hrs. Intention was to avoid fog disruptions that beset Delhi around this time of the year. Set the alarm clock to 0515 while unsuccessfully trying to persuade the small hotel on highway side to give us tea before we leave by 0600hrs.

Here is screen shot from my vehicle tracking site Beacon | : geo positioning infomatics & locator
Name:  Screenshot.png
Views: 3125
Size:  199.7 KB

Read about the full recce trip in the travelogue section...

Last edited by sudev : 7th January 2011 at 16:51.
Old 7th January 2011, 16:52   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
With reference to GPS for bikers, check out the MapmyIndia website, they have a product specially made for bikes. It is called TrailBlazer
Is it specially configured to allow uploading custom tracks? Else it is useless for rallying guys.
Old 10th January 2011, 13:30   #56
BHPian

I am entering Xplore with an Esteem. It has a CNG fitment. Do we have to remove the whole CNG installation for the event, or the removal of the CNG tank do.? What does the SR say on this..?
Old 10th January 2011, 17:17   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmmm..if it is an O.E. fitment I guess you can enter without removing it. Though personally i'd say removing the tank would give you boot space. If non O.E. then remove the tank.
Old 10th January 2011, 17:55   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitku View Post
I am entering Xplore with an Esteem. It has a CNG fitment. Do we have to remove the whole CNG installation for the event, or the removal of the CNG tank do.? What does the SR say on this..?
Even if SR says it is permitted, please don't use it. The reason being is that you are adding 30-40 kgs of wait at your rear.

In soft sand you should try to keep your vehicle as light at possible to achieve maximum flotation. Weight at rear also leads to tailgaiting on sharp turns with loose soil/sand.

cheers!
Old 10th January 2011, 20:14   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Power View Post
Even if SR says it is permitted, please don't use it. The reason being is that you are adding 30-40 kgs of wait at your rear.

In soft sand you should try to keep your vehicle as light at possible to achieve maximum flotation. Weight at rear also leads to tailgaiting on sharp turns with loose soil/sand.

cheers!
Thanks for the reply. I have absolutely no plans to run on CNG.
I plan to remove the tank, but wanted to know if the CNG kit (the equipment in the engine bay) needs to be removed or can be just disconnected. This would save the hassle of reinstalling the kit once back from the rally. A lot of pipes and wiring needs to be removed.
Old 11th January 2011, 08:32   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Just removing the tank should be okay.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks