Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2012, 13:54   #31
BANNED

re: Jay Leno's got a Tata Nano--Video Included !!

@1100D; What you say was done by HM in launching he Amby in the UK and again to a lesser degree by Tata by sending the Indica as a Rover there.
Old 18th May 2012, 15:42   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pralok View Post
Nano has changed the way small cars look.And I really hope that it changes the way of traveling within the city.I mean like Auto rikshaws should be banned and Nano should be in place of them. Here's what I saw the other day in Sampige Road,Malleswaram Bangalore. 'Rally Sports Edition' Nano
Is it the real deal or just another stickering fanatic?

Attachment 928108
Thats just a stickering job. Pretty common with all the cars.
Old 19th May 2012, 00:01   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
OT : Despite having our industries, products and standard of living almost on par with the western world, aren't we Indians still so damn proud when a westerner endorses our products
Indians are crazy about foreign cars but how many foreigners are crazy about Indian cars??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Except for the price I don't think anything else is gamechanging about the Nano.
Except for price, what's stopping you from buying a S-class Mercedes or a Ferrari?
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 02:56   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Except for price, what's stopping you from buying a S-class Mercedes or a Ferrari?
Seriously, what is your point? I just totally failed to understand. How does a S-class even come into comparison? And if it helps, I would just love to buy a Ferrari or Lambo(not so sure about the S-class ) when I can, But can I say the same about Nano? No way. There are much better cars out there which I can afford to buy instead of a Nano. But anyway, I guess that's not your point. So please do enlighten.

Anyway, let me again explain my point, if was not clear before, I just can't understand how the Tata Nano suddenly become such a hot hatch just because Jay Leno got one. Tell me, what's so great about this car except for that 1 Lakh tag? I don't see that it changed any game at all. It's still the Altos and i10's outrunning the Nano in the charts most of the time. And oh, by the way, I don't think you can actually buy one for 1Lakh, it's not a 1 Lakh car anymore. And for the same amount of money you can surely buy a better pre-owned car.

Regards,
kaushik_s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 04:14   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tell me, what's so great about this car except for that 1 Lakh tag?
Any any product needs to be judged based on its pricetag. What other product (new) offers everything the Nano does for 1 lac?

Quote:
Seriously, what is your point? I just totally failed to understand. How does a S-class even come into comparison?
You might love your Baleno but a wealthy individual might ridicule it saying that his S-class is better. But the point is that you like your car because it offers everything you want in your pricerange. Likewise for a person who cannot afford an Alto, Nano is a fantastic bargain.
Mpower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 10:51   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any any product needs to be judged based on its pricetag. What other product (new) offers everything the Nano does for 1 lac?

You might love your Baleno but a wealthy individual might ridicule it saying that his S-class is better. But the point is that you like your car because it offers everything you want in your pricerange. Likewise for a person who cannot afford an Alto, Nano is a fantastic bargain.
Well, I also said the same that the price of the Nano is the USP of the car. Nor I'm saying that it's the worse car or anything, but questioning some comments posted here about this car being the gamechanger and all. What got my goat here is that people are going ga-ga over it just because Jay Leno bought it. I've seen similar trend with the Amby too, many people here on the forum had gone to the length of describing the Amby as their love but none of them would actually buy one (or even have one in their potential buying list) when it comes to buying a new car. Somehow I feel it's just that we love to show our enthusiasm in an online forum but things change drastically when it comes to reality.
Regards,
kaushik_s is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 17:25   #37
Senior - BHPian

A car doesn't have to be a best seller to be interesting? Does it?

In fact the top selling cars in most countries are the boring ones.

Jay Leno liked it and he bought it. As for most people on the forum they can afford a more expensive car and also look for performance ...that's why they haven't bought it. But as enthusiasts, we still appreciate it.

Nano refresh has just started its innings and the platform will be around for decades. Why are people so keen on writing its eulogy?

Quote:
And for the same amount of money you can surely buy a better pre-owned car.
Regards,
You can buy a pre-owned Nano for the price of new scooter. Whats your point?
Mpower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 17:43   #38
Senior - BHPian

Aah forget it. We are talking from totally different perspective and I don't see any point of stretching this argument.
And who is writing the eulogy of Nano? Just because someone doesn't agree to the over-enthusiasm of others that doesn't mean that he is writing an eulogy. Are we stretching our imaginations a bit too long here? Anyway, you won't understand (or won't try to) my point, so better leave it here and lets bury the hatchet.
Ciao.
Old 19th May 2012, 18:19   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Indians are crazy about foreign cars but how many foreigners are crazy about Indian cars??

This reply is EPIC

There are many who buy a car for the heck of it, or blame it on the Herd Mentality, But.....! enthusiasts have a different perspective when they decide on buying a car. Jay Leno loved this lovely little INDIAN car and he's got it for himself, It will remain in the history books for the First ever Indian car in Jay Leno's garage, its a proud moment, so lets leave it at that.
Old 19th May 2012, 19:46   #40
BHPian

Quote:

1)Seriously, what is your point? .

2) I just can't understand how the Tata Nano suddenly become such a hot hatch just because Jay Leno got one.

3) Tell me, what's so great about this car except for that 1 Lakh tag?

4) It's still the Altos and i10's outrunning the Nano in the charts most of the time.
Well Kaushik,

1) Very few would understand your point of view here & seriously dont care about it.

2) I agree with you that there is nothing "HOT" about it, as you are rightly pointing out. I wouldn't agree with you more when you say, suddenly there is brouhaha about this car just because some crazy celebrity who speaks bad about our country's community, religious places one day and the other day he buys a Indian product. I doubt if he has even bought one to make a mockery out of it in one of his silly shows.

3) 1 lakh That was the USP they planned to have a good launch/take off for this product. Would you imagine, my office maid servant struggling for 2 square meals a day was dreaming of booking this car !! Such was the fake "DREAM" these guys got the public to dream.

4) You are bang ON here , I like it !!

See the condition now, you pay 15k and you are home with this car !! i am wondering if this downpayment is less than one would pay for a 2 wheeler these days

Last edited by nandans2005 : 19th May 2012 at 19:51.
nandans2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 19:49   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s
Somehow I don't feel that this car is either a gamechanger or a car which changes how the small cars look. Oh come on, we have much better looking small cars with much better engine or any other spec. Except for the price I don't think anything else is gamechanging about the Nano. If it was a gamechanger than by this time the game already would've changed and I don't think that anything like that has happened. If I have to call any car a gamechanger for Indian market then it was the Maruti 800 and definitely not the Nano. Not yet.
Anyway, just my opinion, Nano is just another small car for me, yes it's Indian but that's about it. So please don't flame me
Not 'flaming' you, but prior to this post, no one mentioned the Nano being a game changer on this thread.

I think it is great that someone who is considered to have great taste in all things automotive, and is genuinely hands-on with all his vehicles, has seen something interesting in the Nano. Technology aside, this would certainly validate the styling of the Nano. Whatever other drawbacks it may have, Nanos do look good.
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2012, 01:49   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Not 'flaming' you, but prior to this post, no one mentioned the Nano being a game changer on this thread.
I wanted to stay away from commenting but as you've asked, you can check the first line of post no 19. Which says, "Nano has changed the way small cars look.". Seriously? Nano has changed the way small cars look? If that's not over-enthusiasm and euphoria then what is it? And say if we take it to be true then that would mean that this car is a gamechanger by that definition and I don't agree with that. That's where I was coming from. But anyway, no more controversial statements from my side. It's great that Jay Leno has bought a Nano to his garage and my mistake that I've even tried to call the apples as apples and oranges as oranges. But hey, that's just according to my point of view and everyone else definitely can disagree.
Regards
Old 20th May 2012, 03:01   #43
Team-BHP Support

Jay Leno has one of the largest collections of cars in the World. He has everything, from sports-cars to SUVs to classics to vintage beauties.

And the thing about Leno is, when he sees a car he likes, he doesn't hesitate to pick it up. He's also one of those few collectors who is rather hands-on and gets quite intimate with his cars.

So when he saw the Nano, I'm sure he said, "Now that's something I don't mind having in my garage!"

And when one of the World's most recognized petrol-heads says that, it's certainly a proud moment for Tata and for us Indians.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 15:58   #44
BHPian

It is indeed a great feat for the Nano to be a part of such an elite garage. But looking at the pics in the first page I couldn't help thinking; Are we sure he bought it out of sheer love for the car or as a comical object? I honestly feel the 'desi touch' has been a little too overdone to show genuine interest in the car.
Old 28th May 2012, 12:17   #45
BHPian

Source: Youtube

"The ac of the Nano is better than my McLaren" - Jay Leno

Last edited by Y@SH : 28th May 2012 at 12:32.
Y@SH is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks