Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2017, 19:33   #46
BHPian

Re: New Toyota Century revealed

If it is about mentioning whether you like the design and style of Century - my vote is big YES!

I remember my teen days when we had three cars in my neighborhood - 1. Premier Padmini, 2. Premier 118NE, and 3. Hindustan Motors Ambassador. Of the three, I admired 118NE the most for its boxy design. Somewhere deep down, I have this fetish for the boxy designs and Toyota Century epitomizes the same. There are very few cars which are timeless their designs and Toyota Century would definitely find a place there in my opinion.
yogesh.8984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 21:05   #47
Senior - BHPian

2017 Bentley Mulsanne First Edition - Toyota Century's elder brother.
Attached Thumbnails
New Toyota Century revealed-image.jpeg  

AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 00:09   #48
BHPian

To me, the Toyota century represents the essence of Japan - respect of traditions, appreciation of craftsmanship, discretion, simplicity, uniqueness, resistance to change, and many more things. While the Toyota century might have started off bring inspired by a Rolls-Royce, today it is the Japanese interpretation of luxury, albeit a conservative and elderly one.

The design choices are quite logical, if you really think about it.

The engine: a V8 is far smoother than anything with fewer cylinders and I'm sure that Toyota has designed and built it to be almost as smooth as an electric motor. It's probably built by a tiny team with each member having decades of experience, to whom even the chairman of Toyota bows!

Woolen upholstery: the Japanese love natural materials and wool is actually a very nice, rich, traditional upholstery material. It's both comfortable in all weathers and naturally fire resistant. This one is probably made with wool from selected, pampered sheep fed with a special, traditional diet and sheared with special traditional shears made by a long line of shear makers!

Syling: it's so conservative yet rich that people look at it must think that the person in the back seat must be someone very important. I've read that only flashy rich Japanese buy German luxury cars. I don't think that patriotism plays a big part in buying the Toyota century over an S-class. It's just that the Japanese rich appreciate the Toyota more. And the Japanese have a very "unique" sense of style! It's like Europeans not appreciating American cars - it's just a matter of taste.

If I were Japanese, I too might think that this is the car to have. But I'm not and I don't think that. This car is for a niche inside a niche inside a niche inside a niche market. While I appreciate the car for its craftsmanship, I would never buy one.
Motard_Blr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 04:59   #49
BHPian

Oh my God, what a beauty. Look at those clean lines. Love It. Any chance of it coming to India? We need these in India and not the dinky toy bashed up from all sides designs that get launched in India.

MaSh
mashmash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 08:49   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_the_Don View Post
This next generation Toyota Century looks wonderful. I would get this in a heartbeat.
Yes, that makes two of us, two of very few, who like the looks and sense of luxury this car has to offer.

Quote:
This car is ideal for somebody who is old and rich enough, one who prefer smooth ride and a 'box' of character.
That's me! Well, except I'm not rich
Col Mehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 10:54   #51
BHPian

Fabulous looking car I will say. While it might have the looks of a century old car, I am sure this design will age gracefully for even more centuries to come. The car really gives a HUGE statement to your arrival, but in a subtle and good manner.
Old 13th October 2017, 12:10   #52
BHPian

What a clean design with the new tech, absolutely gorgeous. I know the feedback is mixed on this one, but when you see a car with clean lines and it turns your attention, I know the company and designers have done a good job.
Old 13th October 2017, 15:32   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Toyota has revealed the "new" Toyota Century ahead of it's Tokyo Motor Show Debut.

Key Facts:
5 Liter V8 Hybrid.
100% Woolen interior.
Best thing to come out of a Toyota Production line in a long time.

I can sense the tube amp-loving/antique teapot-collecting Chinese millionaires taking out their chequebooks, to acquire this well-crafted time-machine.

If I had the money, I'd buy this instead of Rolls Royce or Maybach.

Last edited by ashwin489 : 13th October 2017 at 15:38.
Old 13th October 2017, 19:46   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_the_Don View Post
This next generation Toyota Century looks wonderful. I would get this in a heartbeat. Few facts about the Century
I am happy that Toyota is experimenting with the design. Every automobile manufacturer stick to the German influenced design. This car is ideal for somebody who is old and rich enough, one who prefer smooth ride and a 'box' of character.
I am very glad to read your post, especially after looking at all the negative comments.
This is not a world car, and certainly not meant for India (a market where Camry is considered a luxury car). I don't know why folks don't see a vehicle in the context of the respective markets.
The new-gen is looking stately (like its supposed to). It looks like ultra-luxury vehicles have been incorporating woollen fabrics lately.
Queryanalyzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 20:39   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
Yes, that makes two of us, two of very few, who like the looks and sense of luxury this car has to offer.
+1

Count me in Brothers. I loved the way it looked
FORTified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2017, 20:10   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queryanalyzer View Post
This is not a world car, and certainly not meant for India (a market where Camry is considered a luxury car). I don't know why folks don't see a vehicle in the context of the respective markets.
The new-gen is looking stately (like its supposed to). It looks like ultra-luxury vehicles have been incorporating woollen fabrics lately.
Count me in as an a fan of the car as well. I think leather as a material to sit on is seriously overrated. This is even after discounting the fact that if you are an animal lover and the thought of sitting on a dead animal's skin does not appeal to you. Also if it was a such a great material there would a lot more leather shirts and pants around! I think the only place leather makes sense in the context of transportation is in protective riding gear.
Old 16th October 2017, 11:08   #57
BHPian

I love the concept of the Century. It's possibly the least ostentatious luxury car I've ever seen. To draw an analogy with watches, if an S-class is a Rolex, this is a Glashutte or Vacheron Constantine. It's not supposed to impress onlookers with pretentious, shiny tricks. I imagine that the sort of person who buys this has very refined taste and is unconcerned with what other people think. I'd love to have one of these some day
Stigissimo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 14:56   #58
BHPian

What a beauty I would say!

Spotted one on Silk Board flyover some time back on the opposite carriageway and noticed the boxy looking black car from a distance going towards Ecity. All this past week, was wondering which car that can be? Googled every word combination I could but did not get any result and today I see this thread come up!
Old 17th October 2017, 11:57   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The first thing I thought was how much this car seems to be inspired by the RR Phantom Come on Toyota you can surely do better than that to create something unique no?

That said, I love the way they have gone with Wool for the interiors. Anyone else getting a bit tired of all the leather everywhere?

Well this has been in production since 1967. The new Phantom came out in 2003, I think.
camaroZL1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 11:37   #60
BHPian

This is luxury. For those who have not read about the history of the Century, please do look it up on wikipedia. It is the epitome of luxury and class within the Toyota brand. I probably should know that having worked with the brand (shameless show-off)

This is a vehicle preferred by the elite class in Japan, whether we like it or not, this car is going to sell as fast as it can be made.

Everything in this car is made with a reason, the hybrid is there for quiet starts and initial quiet driving off. The woolen interiors are, AMAZING. it does not hold heat, you do not sweat as it is breathable and it avoids all the "bathroom like noises" that the Japanese go to great lengths to avoid. The colour of the wool might not be to everyone's taste though.

I do apologize for this long post, but I am a fanboy, especially after having been driven in one in Japan. I am in love, and it is old-school love.
jas_mirage is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks