Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2020, 10:49   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda planning a new hatchback based on the City sedan

The New City is 4553 mm long. If you lop off the boot I think this will be just under 4m. I think the low slung design makes it look longer.

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 26th February 2020 at 11:14.
Old 26th February 2020, 11:12   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
The New City is 4554 mm long. If you lop off the boot I think this will be just under 4m. I think the low slung design makes it look longer.
Doubt it!

The new Honda City is larger than the previous generation Honda Civic (The 9th gen that didn't make it to India!) which was only 4525mm long. And the same generation Civic hatchback was 4.3 metres long.

Expecting similar figures for this new City hatchback as well.

Honda will not be under pressure to develop this car as a sub-4m vehicle just for the Indian market, because Amaze is doing well in India and the hatchback's primary market is in South East Asian countries like Thailand - against competitors like the Yaris hatchback.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 11:55   #33
BHPian

Ever since the Ford Fusion/ Optra SRV, I have been waiting for a Golf class kind of hatch, but I don't see Honda launching this in India.

Unless they kill off the Jazz and place this hatch at the same price point despite the 1.5L engine.
indivic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 22:01   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda's City based Hatchback on tests:

Honda planning a new hatchback based on the City sedan-qi5c3j.jpg

Honda planning a new hatchback based on the City sedan-qi5ubb.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 29th May 2020 at 22:17.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 00:31   #35
Senior - BHPian

What if this is the ZRV?
Old 30th May 2020, 09:53   #36
BHPian

Honestly, it would be nicer for honda if they can give city's 1.5 petrol engine to WR-V, instead of whole new offering based on city. This will get lots of attention, WR-V can become hot crossover immediately.
Old 30th May 2020, 22:43   #37
BHPian

Well we don't have many well made hatchbacks, which are there, they are too small like a Polo. I would pay sedan like money for a sedan like car but with lesser length, and with that sweet 1.5iVtech and low slung look, it is as sweet a proposition as it can get. This car if launched in India, would have no competition. If the front is taken from the City, the inspirational value increases, there is definitely a big market open for car makers. All it needs a well rounded product at a competitive price. I have no reason to buy the EcoSport over this. More people like tall cars now a days, but many neither need nor want a 200mm GC and macho looks. We want a cheap 1 series, made locally by the Japs. I hear the new City is going to be better than the previous generation in terms of suspension and build quality among others. If it's true, it fixes what was wrong with it. Same car in shorter form would be very desirable.
itsashishsharma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 03:46   #38
BHPian

I wish they introduce the Jazz international version in India. Price it 10 to 11 lacs ex showroom with 1.5 iVtec along with 6 airbags and magic seats. But we are speaking about Honda India. I highly doubt they'll launch it with 1.5 iVtec.
Old 31st May 2020, 04:43   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
This car if launched in India, would have no competition. If the front is taken from the City, the inspirational value increases, there is definitely a big market open for car makers. All it needs a well rounded product at a competitive price
The biggest reason this car will never see the light in the Indian market - is due to the positioning of the City.

Honda asks a huge premium for the City in the Indian market, compared to other markets like Thailand - where it is positioned very closely with the Amaze and Jazz. With the existing generation being retained for India - the new one is likely to be closer to 20L on-road for the top variants.

Honda cannot have a hatchback with everything identical, except for the boot - selling for 5 lakhs lesser than its sedan sibling (compromising the sales and positioning of the City then!) and even then - a hatchback with a 15L OTR pricetag will be a tough sell in our market!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 09:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

I think Honda has given up on the premium hatchback segment in India. The Jazz is a very competent car, but no match for the Baleno and the Elite i20 in their aggressive pricing. So the next Gen Jazz is not making its way to India officially, and Honda seems to be happy with what the New Amaze and the WRV are doing in the 8-12 lakh segment. Ideally, Honda must get a Creta / Seltos rival as soon as possible and that should be their main focus. The under 4M SUV segment is too crowded now, and with too many good cars, whereas its 12-18 lakh SUV segment that is lacking choices since its almost being dominated by the Creta and the Seltos.

And whether Honda accepts it or not, the true competition for the new City will actually be the Seltos and the Creta. These are the new executive Cars! And they offer such a wide range of engines and gear box combinations across a very wide price band of 12-20 lakhs. So, in the long run Honda needs a Cross over more than anything else. The City is no longer the defacto choice.
motorworks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 11:44   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The biggest reason this car will never see the light in the Indian market - is due to the positioning of the City.
Spot on. It is next to impossible to sell a hatch back at decent volumes above 10 lakhs here. Even crossovers will be difficult as evidenced by the S-Cross. It need to have an SUV or sedan profile to be positioned above 10 lakhs.

For the same reason station wagons are never attempted here. They are very popular in Europe where you even have a Skoda RS estate. Honda might be better off figuring how to improve sales of their Jazz. At present their best bet is to introduce the H-RV SUV in the Seltos/Creta segment.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 21:42   #42
Senior - BHPian

Can anybody help me understand what is the difference between the Jazz and the City hatchback? Is it just the length & engines?
Old 1st June 2020, 21:53   #43
BHPian

In kannada there is a saying which translates to "someone searched the entire town for ghee when he had butter with him" and Honda's situation is not far from that! They have a cross over with oodles of space, a hoot of an engine in their 1.5 iVtec and a CVT transmission. Nobody can understand why on earth would Honda not get this combination together! Add the interior from the outgoing City and you have a winner!
Old 2nd June 2020, 20:50   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Honda's City based Hatchback on tests:
More pics :

Honda planning a new hatchback based on the City sedan-spyshothondacityhatchbackdithailand4.jpg

Honda planning a new hatchback based on the City sedan-spyshothondacityhatchbackdithailand2.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 15:25   #45
Senior - BHPian

Honda City Hatchback Spied Again

Honda planning a new hatchback based on the City sedan-smartselect_20200628152426_chrome.jpg

Honda planning a new hatchback based on the City sedan-smartselect_20200628152434_chrome.jpg

https://gaadiwaadi.com/2020-honda-ci...h-likely-soon/
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks