Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2018, 07:01   #6076
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

So I needed a daily after selling the Mustang back in States, after lot of considerations and constraints, picked up this.

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-front-side-2.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-front1.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-rear1.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-interiors-front-right.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-interiors-steering-2.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-interiors-drive-modes.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img20180808wa0027.jpg

Its a 2015 CPO, V6 SH-AWD Elite and yes I still have the MDX which makes it an Acura garage, trust me the brand was not intentional

Last edited by Technocrat : 12th August 2018 at 07:03.
Technocrat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 01:25   #6077
BHPian

Hello Guys, Need your opinion on the below issue.

I just returned from regular consumables change for my 2015 Altima from an authorized service center. In the complementary multi point inspection report, they mentioned that the struts and brake pads needs replacement and gave a quote of more than $1000 for replacement of these. The car is currently running 42k miles and recent change in my job reduced my daily commute to less than 10 miles a day. I agree that brake pads might need replacement since I drive somewhat aggressive and also I covered fairly good distance in three years. But suspension struts at 42k miles?

I didn't feel any difference in the cars braking ability or ride quality. The car did bottom out once or twice at one of the speed humps in my office but that is due to me driving faster there. My wife also confirmed that she didn't see any major difference in the ride quality as she is sitting in rear seat most of the times with my daughter.

I am thinking of changing the brake pads in my next service and the quote for that is $400. I am thinking of procuring the parts outside and doing it in a independent garage. My friend know a guy who do these jobs very well.
Old 19th August 2018, 12:25   #6078
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hema4saran View Post
. But suspension struts at 42k miles?
Ask them to show you why they felt it needs replacing. It is not necessarily unheard of, even at at low mileage.

Ideally, they should have a special tester that gives you proof that they are gone, or on their way out. Is their any visual damage to them or parts of them.

The other way is to verify against an other identical vehicle. Put them next to one another and start rocking them on each corner. See if they behave similarly.

Struts are important component and affect the car’s handling, road holding, braking performance. So you want to make sure they are ok.

Good luck
Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 20:07   #6079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
The other way is to verify against an other identical vehicle. Put them next to one another and start rocking them on each corner. See if they behave similarly.

Struts are important component and affect the car’s handling, road holding, braking performance. So you want to make sure they are ok.

Good luck
Jeroen
Thank you for the info. I will do that with my friend's Altima of same year with lesser mileage though and see. They are not answering to me properly yesterday as they had lot of cars and busy. I will drop an email to them and see. Also will assess the struts with an independent garage in the upcoming week and see.

They have given proper measurements for brake pad. The brake pads are measuring 4mm in front and 3mm in rear. But nothing substantial evidence for Struts. I will wait for their reply before taking it to independent garage. For brake pads I am going to procure OEM spares and do it outside. I will change all 4 together within a months time.
Old 20th August 2018, 08:51   #6080
Senior - BHPian

Back in Nov '17, I got my wife a leased 2018 Toyota Camry LE. Took a 10k/yr option for 3 yrs. As of date, it has done only 4500 miles and at this rate, it will barely do 15k in 3 yrs. Now a situation has risen that makes me want to get rid of the Leased car ASAP.

Paying back 27 months of monthly payments is the first thing that the dealer/Toyota finance suggest but it is total loss proposition.

Good news is - Toyota Finance doesn't care about buy-back and won't charge me a penalty.

What do you guys think is a better way to let go of my car with, obviously, least monetary damage?
Old 20th August 2018, 21:04   #6081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
Back in Nov '17, I got my wife a leased 2018 Toyota Camry LE. Took a 10k/yr option for 3 yrs. As of date, it has done only 4500 miles and at this rate, it will barely do 15k in 3 yrs. Now a situation has risen that makes me want to get rid of the Leased car ASAP.

Paying back 27 months of monthly payments is the first thing that the dealer/Toyota finance suggest but it is total loss proposition.

Good news is - Toyota Finance doesn't care about buy-back and won't charge me a penalty.

What do you guys think is a better way to let go of my car with, obviously, least monetary damage?
I don't think there is an option to let go of the lease car, until you pay the entire lease amount or try to sub lease the car to somebody who is interested (Diff to get a sub leaser).

Probably anybody who has come across this situation and overcame it, can help further.
Old 20th August 2018, 22:40   #6082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But suspension struts at 42k miles?

The car did bottom out once or twice at one of the speed humps in my office but that is due to me driving faster there.
Early suspension strut replacement could happen if the car is driven really hard which looks like you do.

I will go with what Jeroen has said, test with similar age car or get it inspected from another dealer, ask them to do a full inspection, they will do it for some minimum charge, other way is to go to them for an oil change and they will most likely do it for free.

Quote:

Have you checked www.swapalease.com? You can potentially hand over your lease to someone else and walkaway with no or minimum payment.
Technocrat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 03:49   #6083
BHPian

Quote:

I am thinking of changing the brake pads in my next service and the quote for that is $400. I am thinking of procuring the parts outside and doing it in a independent garage. My friend know a guy who do these jobs very well.
brake pad for $400 is extremely high. pad job for my Sti at a dealer is $400 and $200 is pad material cost for the brembo brakes.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 08:47   #6084
BHPian

As an after thought, I thought to get rid of this car and planned to go for a 2017 ES350 which was in my mind for very long time. But decided against it due to the increase in visa denials at this situation. My wife's extension is in progress and not getting permission from her as well. Her point is get whatever rental car you want on the trips for your driving pleasure. Being in Hertz President Circle helps a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Early suspension strut replacement could happen if the car is driven really hard which looks like you do.
I am aggressive but only in open roads and interstates. And the car is driven in very good roads in Texas for most of the miles. I am doing another evaluation tomorrow at one more service center and will decide based on the findings. Thank you.

Quote:

Try swapalease website. It is good option and my colleague recently got rid of his CX5 in the same way. He lost $1k which he has paid as initial amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
brake pad for $400 is extremely high. pad job for my Sti at a dealer is $400 and $200 is pad material cost for the brembo brakes.
Yes. I am procuring the parts from Nissan and going to do it in a independent garage. Checking with multiple Nissan dealers and there is some deal going on for parts. So asking quotes as of now and will decide in this weekend.

Last edited by hema4saran : 21st August 2018 at 08:56.
hema4saran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 22:42   #6085
BHPian

Quote:

Yes. I am procuring the parts from Nissan and going to do it in a independent garage. Checking with multiple Nissan dealers and there is some deal going on for parts. So asking quotes as of now and will decide in this weekend.
Try online OEM parts. They are usually cheaper than brick and mortar dealers

https://www.nissanwholesaledirect.com/
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 01:50   #6086
BHPian

Quote:
In the complementary multi point inspection report, they mentioned that the struts and brake pads needs replacement and gave a quote of more than $1000 for replacement of these. But suspension struts at 42k miles?
It's highly unusual for such low mileage car's struts to be replaced. I take this complimentary multi point inspection with pinch of salt. Unless, you are experiencing the common signs that may indicate the potential problem like 1) Bottoming out, 2) Bumpy Rides and 3) Forward plunge etc. Do you see any oil leaks in your parking lot / garage? If, not for your piece of mind take it to different shop and ask for inspection.

Last edited by Otomobil : 22nd August 2018 at 01:58.
Otomobil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 07:09   #6087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Try online OEM parts. They are usually cheaper than brick and mortar dealers

https://www.nissanwholesaledirect.com/
Sure. I will definitely give a try. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otomobil View Post
It's highly unusual for such low mileage car's struts to be replaced. I take this complimentary multi point inspection with pinch of salt. Unless, you are experiencing the common signs that may indicate the potential problem like 1) Bottoming out, 2) Bumpy Rides and 3) Forward plunge etc. Do you see any oil leaks in your parking lot / garage? If, not for your piece of mind take it to different shop and ask for inspection.
I didn't face any of these single issues. I just came back from another workshop who inspected the struts and told that there is some small leak in rear struts but nothing alarming. He told me to continue driving the car for now and asked me to look for any of the potential signs for the struts damage. As per him, this will be good for atleast 15k miles if driven sedately.
Old 22nd August 2018, 07:26   #6088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Its a 2015 CPO, V6 SH-AWD Elite and yes I still have the MDX which makes it an Acura garage, trust me the brand was not intentional
How much did it cost? I was trying to talk my roommate into buying one of these instead of a 2015 CPO 328i Xdrive, but couldn't get him to see past the BMW brand. And you got the nice engine too. The base one is the same i have on my civic . Does it have the all wheel steering too?
Quote:
Apart from the leak, check if your car bounces

( skip to 1:50) That means that your strut is dying
Quote:
Took a 10k/yr option for 3 yrs.
That number doesn't sound right - Am I missing something here? I thought a camry lease was in the $200/ Month range for a typical 3 year lease?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Congrats, @greenhorn! The si is a lovely car, probably the one of the last fun-to-drive cars that is still reliable for years if not decades! Just yesterday I was watching a video about how Honda, Mazda and even Toyota used to make fun-to-drive cars that were also reliable, but sadly just focus on commuter-ish vehicles now.

That insurance does sound atrocious!I wonder how much of it is from theft statistics. I know older Civics and Acuras (especially the performance variants) used to be the highest targeted vehicles for theft, so wonder if that is a factor here.
Thanks, hopefully it will become a future classic as one of the last great VTEC's. Got to rip it recently while merging, and the sound is eargasmic
The current gen civic Si is turbo VTC, not quite a VTEC.
Got a quote from state farm for 140, so have switched to it, and waiting for their confirmation before i discontinue the geico policy ( I have a feeling the state farm agent might not have captured all my details to give me a lower quote, so waiting to get the actual policy ( the binder says they can cancel in 60 days, so just want to be sure, and don't want lapsed coverage) )

Last edited by greenhorn : 22nd August 2018 at 07:45.
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 17:58   #6089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
That number doesn't sound right - Am I missing something here? I thought a camry lease was in the $200/ Month range for a typical 3 year lease?
He meant 10000 miles per year for 3 years.

I think you are aware that the lease will be of 2 types either 10000 miles per year or 12000 miles per year, and you can choose one of them.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 19:13   #6090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post

I think you are aware that the lease will be of 2 types either 10000 miles per year or 12000 miles per year, and you can choose one of them.
I'll have to admit that I wasn't, so thanks for explaining it!
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks