Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2017, 20:31   #286
BHPian

Re: Formula 1 - Silly Season, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
HotStar is a good option for the money. For each credit card you have, you get one month free (on a new account). Just remember to cancel your subscription after starting your free trial.
Installed hotstar on trial. If all goes well Tata Sky has lost one customer
Old 16th April 2017, 09:15   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
I can only see a listing on SS select HD I'm wondering how to watch because I have no intention of upgrading to HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Has the Star Sports telecast of F1 stopped?
The Bahrain GP doesn't seem to be listed and I don't remember the first race being telecasted either.
This is pure marketing gimmick by star sports. They don't even show the premier league these days I am never going to pay for HD subscription.

You don't need them anyway. You can watch F1 live online, if you have a good internet connection that too in HD. use acestreams. go to their website here:- http://www.acestream.org/
Download the software and install it (its safe). I hope you are using windows.I do not know how to do it in a mobile phone.You also need to install VLC. Then, search online for skysports F1 acestream. you'll find many stream links which can be opened by the ace player.
Here is a better explanation :- https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/co...am_f1_streams/
This is probably the best way to stream F1 races for free or you can pay for hotstar.
Night_Fury is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 09:04   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
F1 Strategy Group is set to face calls on whether it should intervene to help Honda make better progress, on the back of the Japanese manufacturer's difficult start to the 2017 season.

As part of an agreement reached between manufacturers and FIA 12 months ago to keep the current turbo hybrid rules in place until 2020, a plan was put in place to ensure all the current engines were pretty equal on performance.

The FIA said it would analyse the potential of each power unit after the first three races of 2017 and, if the difference between them exceeded 0.3 seconds on a simulation around the Barcelona circuit, then the Strategy Group would be asked to intervene.
source

0.3 seconds gap is nothing! Honda is many many times slower than that at present. Rather than taking help for other manufacturers, FIA should relax testing and penalties so that Honda can fix it on their own. And what about Renault?

FIA and McLaren looks very keen to take this short cut, but will Honda agree? This will be embarrassing for them.
Old 25th April 2017, 09:55   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
source

0.3 seconds gap is nothing! Honda is many many times slower than that at present. Rather than taking help for other manufacturers, FIA should relax testing and penalties so that Honda can fix it on their own. And what about Renault?

FIA and McLaren looks very keen to take this short cut, but will Honda agree? This will be embarrassing for them.
Completely agree to the point of allowing the lower rung teams to test and develop through the season. What is the point intervening to make it level playing field. Are they going to ask the lead cars to drive slowly so that the gap is 0.3 seconds? Plain ridiculous

In season testing and development is what will help Renault and Mclaren Honda.
Old 25th April 2017, 11:36   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Completely agree to the point of allowing the lower rung teams to test and develop through the season. What is the point intervening to make it level playing field. Are they going to ask the lead cars to drive slowly so that the gap is 0.3 seconds? Plain ridiculous

In season testing and development is what will help Renault and Mclaren Honda.
F1 should have "concessions" similar to the ones in MotoGP.

Well detailed here: http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/226...-official.html

Basically, until you manage to score 6 "concession points" in a season, you are entitled to in-season development and more engines.

How does one get concession points?

3rd place = 1 concession point
2nd place = 2 concession points
1st place = 3 concession points
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 14:21   #291
BHPian

Quote:
F1 should have "concessions" similar to the ones in MotoGP.
======
1st place = 3 concession points
I'm not sure about what it's like in the MotoGP as I don't follow it, but with the situation of vast disparity in performance among teams in F1, this would mean only the top 2-3 teams wouldn't be able to have developments throughout the season, and the biggest gainers of this system would be the teams in 4-6th place.

Maybe they could have a system where the bottom 3-4 teams would be allowed development through the season.
Old 25th April 2017, 14:32   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
I'm not sure about what it's like in the MotoGP as I don't follow it, but with the situation of vast disparity in performance among teams in F1, this would mean only the top 2-3 teams wouldn't be able to have developments throughout the season, and the biggest gainers of this system would be the teams in 4-6th place.

Maybe they could have a system where the bottom 3-4 teams would be allowed development through the season.
I believe the rules should be similar to what it is in MotoGP. Didn't get 6 concession points last season? Unlimited engine development for you. Why? To help you catch up with the leaders.

The current design of the system in MotoGP is to ensure that every team that is not consistently fighting for podiums has enough of a chance to catch up with the rest of the teams.

The beauty of their system is how "satellite teams" (think customer teams in F1: Haas, Force India) etc. are in real contention for wins along with the other factory teams (like Ferrari, Mercedes). And MotoGP is way, way ahead of F1 in terms of pure racing thanks to some parity in terms of performance offered by the machines.

Implementing a similar system in F1 will greatly help the recent trend of one team dominating the sport completely - that's my opinion.
Old 25th April 2017, 15:10   #293
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The beauty of their system is how "satellite teams" (think customer teams in F1: Haas, Force India) etc. are in real contention for wins along with the other factory teams (like Ferrari, Mercedes). And MotoGP is way, way ahead of F1 in terms of pure racing thanks to some parity in terms of performance offered by the machines.

Implementing a similar system in F1 will greatly help the recent trend of one team dominating the sport completely - that's my opinion.
Complete agree here. It became a level playing field when the Single ECU ruling came in 2016. Any bike on the grid can win on a given day, no wonder there were 9 winners last year.

F1 needs something like this to make it more interesting or get the mid race fueling back with the existing cap of 100 Kilos per race. Else F1 will diminish further in terms of viewers.
Old 26th April 2017, 23:15   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
...but will Honda agree? This will be embarrassing for them.
Looks like I was way off my expectations from Honda on account of embarrassment!!!

Some staggering revelations below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsport.com

Sources have revealed that Honda has recently begun discussions with Mercedes about a plan for the German car manufacturer to provide consultancy assistance to help it make rapid progress with its power unit.

Although it is understood the specifics of the deal have yet to be signed off, the main focus could be on help with the electronic and hybrid area of the power unit.

Honda's F1 chief Yusuke Hasegawa has declined to confirm exactly who is involved in its plans, but said that his company was leaving no stone unturned in efforts to improve matters.

"Actually we have been doing everything we can do," he told Motorsport.com. "We are utilizing every source from outside. From the beginning of March, we are almost changing our organisation [completely].

Hasegawa also did not elaborate on the Mercedes plan, but said that Honda had made use of experts who have worked previously with all current F1 manufacturers.

Mercedes declined to comment on the situation when contacted.
Source
Old 27th April 2017, 03:23   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Complete agree here. It became a level playing field when the Single ECU ruling came in 2016. Any bike on the grid can win on a given day, no wonder there were 9 winners last year.

F1 needs something like this to make it more interesting or get the mid race fueling back with the existing cap of 100 Kilos per race. Else F1 will diminish further in terms of viewers.
I think prior to the single ECU ruling in 2016 only two teams, Honda and Yamaha has won MotoGP races since Ducati's last victory.

What make it different from Formula 1 is, at least for me, is the amount of overtaking. Riders who had a bad qualifying day can come back and end up on the podium. But here also you need the best bike to show your skills.

Having worked on 2 stroke air assisted direct injection, I have seen how electronics, both hardware and software plays an important role in reproducing the laboratory test results on road consistently and reliably. Mercedes now has gone through the initial phase and is well equipped to deal with the problems that Honda maybe facing now. It is not like Mercedes is going to spoon feed Honda, they could provide the necessary tools to tackle the problems faced by Honda.

As a viewer, I would anyday prefer 3 or four teams fighting for the podium rather than two teams or one dominant team. The fans who follows the technical aspects of power units and aero development are a minority. The majority of them are least bothered about it and are driver focussed, so if it is an even playing field, better for the fans and Formula 1 in general.

Atleast this is the vibe I'm getting after listening to Ross Brown's interviews. Will he be able it pull it off, we have to wait and see. Coming back to Russian weekend, I hope Bottas will be able to show his true potential. And Kimi, please make a clean Q3 lap and better first lap in the race.
Old 1st May 2017, 08:15   #296
BHPian

Maybe we can rename the thread as "Silly Season 2018"

Here are the sporting & technical regulations for 2018 as published by FIA.

1._formula_one_-_sporting_regulations_-_2018.pdf
1._formula_one_-_technical_regulations_-_2018.pdf

In other news, Sauber will have Honda PU for 2018.
Honda have denied involvement of Mercedes in their F1 PU project.
In any case, that sounded like a creation by some fertile imagination of some European minds to pressurize Honda.

Last edited by jfxavier : 1st May 2017 at 08:18.
Old 5th May 2017, 00:44   #297
Senior - BHPian

Someone took this seemingly innocuous radio banter from Vettel:

And made it into a beautiful rendition of one of the most soul-satisfying melodies I've ever heard.

:
ashwin.terminat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 21:09   #298
BHPian

Arjun Maini gets role as F1 haas developement driver. great news

link to article:- http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report...1-team-2434715

Karun Chandhok interviewing the guy :-

P.S:- i am loving the new f1 management
Old 28th May 2017, 19:52   #299
BHPian

I've just noticed during today's Monaco GP that all the number 2 drivers have two yellow stripes on their airbox cameras while the number one drivers don't. Of course the teams deny playing favourites but its quite obvious.

Here's an example with Vettel & Kimi.
Formula 1 - Silly Season, 2017-d798dc92482f733572ef35c655121420.jpg
Vettel's car with the black camera on top of the air box
Formula 1 - Silly Season, 2017-1495896044402.jpg
Kimi's car with the fluorescent stripes
Old 28th May 2017, 21:00   #300
BHPian

I think the fluorescent strip is used by the driver who finished behind his team mate in the last years championship and not necessarily the number two driver. It has been the case for a long time. In 2012 ,2013and 2010, I think Hamilton had the fluorescent strip on this car camera.

Last edited by MadiMaama : 28th May 2017 at 21:01.
MadiMaama is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks