Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2018, 23:39   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: World
Posts: 993
Thanked: 521 Times
Default Formula 1 - The 2019 Silly Season

Ricciardo, could probably cause a domino effect. He's spoilt for choice here, and the hottest commodity. The only competition he could have had was Verstappen, who too was out of contract this season. But early signing by him, made things lot more interesting for the Aussie.
What makes it more interesting, is both the Finns are driving quite decent, better than last year. If they continue to drive like this, they will obviously have backing of Hamilton and Vettel.
Also, Hamilton is showing no hurry to sign the contract, he'll probably having a say on the second seat.

Ricciardo, as per roumours, is said to have entered an exclusivity agreement with Ferrari as they discuss a possible switch of teams. Recent reports in Italy suggest Ricciardo and Ferrari have signed a deal providing exclusive negotiating rights for a couple of months, around 30th June.

Also, RedBull seems to have given the Aussie an ultimatum of August. There are reports that Ricciardo wants a shorter 2 year contract. So, by summer break probably there will be a clearer picture.

That leaves the other drivers.

Hamilton : I'll be really surprised if he leaves Mercedes.
Bottas : Depends on Ricciardo.
Raikonnen: Same situation as Bottas. Or probably he'll just leave at the end of season.
Sainz: Also dependant on where Ricciardo goes. His options, RedBull or Renault.
Ocon: He'll probably move to Renault if there is a vacant seat.
Alonso: McLaren or nothing !
fz_rider is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2018, 15:19   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
Hatari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 1,678
Thanked: 497 Times
Default re: Formula 1 - The 2019 Silly Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
Ricciardo, as per roumours, is said to have entered an exclusivity agreement with Ferrari as they discuss a possible switch of teams. Recent reports in Italy suggest Ricciardo and Ferrari have signed a deal providing exclusive negotiating rights for a couple of months, around 30th June.
I dont see Ferrari signing him, knowing he will never agree to be a No 2 driver.
and Ferrari dont hire drivers that are similar in pace.
Hatari is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2018, 10:10   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 53,648
Thanked: 131,472 Times
Default Re: Formula 1 - The 2019 Silly Season

Hamilton: Will definitely stay on at Mercedes not only for 2019, but another couple of years.

Bottas: IMHO, he doesn't deserve that Mercedes seat. Benz will surely be looking at options. I would put my money on Daniel (soon) or Max (when available).

Vettel: No change.

Raikkonen: The way Ferrari is treating him, I think he'll just retire at the end of the season.

Alonso: Sad to see such a driver wasting his time in a slow car, but then, you live by the decisions you make & Alonso has made plenty of terrible ones. Not to forget, his reputation as a driver is very difficult; Mercedes won't even consider him as a replacement for Bottas and neither will Hamilton allow it. Will he move to Renault? Either way, unless he pulls off a coup of sorts, the fellow isn't winning anymore championships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
I dont see Ferrari signing him, knowing he will never agree to be a No 2 driver.
Ferrari has gone mad. As someone else had commented on the Chinese race thread, it's about time they realise that this Schumacher + Barrichello setup (no.1 and no.2) doesn't work anymore. When was the last time Ferrari won a world / constructors championship? If Ferrari wants to become a 'dream team', they will have to give equal treatment to both drivers, else no top guy will be willing to team up with Vettel. And what if Vettel gets hit by a bus?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2018, 10:30   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,721
Thanked: 4,320 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: Formula 1 - The 2019 Silly Season

Agreed. But Ferrari is seeing a resurgence this year. The have a competitive car and engine. I do not think Raikkonen is doing that badly. He accepts his No.2 position. However, Ferrari may have to become more aggressive about pit stops. I hope the slight advantage they enjoy sticks. They have lost in the past few years.

I must say I am a fan of the big F.

Last edited by manson : 9th May 2018 at 15:07. Reason: Typo.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2018, 02:13   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 297
Thanked: 288 Times
Default Re: Formula 1 - The 2019 Silly Season

As long as Vettel and Hamilton are in a strong position at their respective teams, they will never allow another strong driver like Daniel to join their team. Remember the Lewis vs Nico battle? And Nico wasn't even that quick. Lewis just had bad luck that year but the unsporting nature (also known as win at all costs) of Lewis was there for all to see. Go back a few years and see how Fernando was rattled when Lewis debuted at Mclaren. None of these top guys are used to having their number 1 status questioned.

I don't see Daniel joining Ferrari unless Ferrari have a long term plan to let Vettel go. Same with Mercedes. I won't be surprised one bit if Daniel signs up for Redbull once again.
HKap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2018, 14:17   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
Hatari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 1,678
Thanked: 497 Times
Default Re: Formula 1 - The 2019 Silly Season

Seems like much ado about nothing with Merc out of the picture and Ferrari were hardly in the picture. Ricciardo will end up staying with Red Bull and Sainz will get another year at Renault.
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2018, 14:51   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ---
Posts: 157
Thanked: 277 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Seems like much ado about nothing with Merc out of the picture and Ferrari were hardly in the picture. Ricciardo will end up staying with Red Bull and Sainz will get another year at Renault.
Also Renault are pursuing Carlos to stay with them on permanent basis as he hasn't got a shot at a Redbull drive until Riccardo leaves. But only Redbull have the power to release him and nobody can hire him until they pay a fine to redbull if he leaves without permission.
glikithvinayaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2018, 18:19   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,533
Thanked: 1,066 Times
Default Re: Formula 1 - The 2019 Silly Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by glikithvinayaka View Post
Also Renault are pursuing Carlos to stay with them on permanent basis as he hasn't got a shot at a Redbull drive until Riccardo leaves. But only Redbull have the power to release him and nobody can hire him until they pay a fine to redbull if he leaves without permission.
I suspect Carlos Sainz jr is probably not in the Red Bull roster since he left Toro Rosso to the main Renault team?

Ricciardo is due to announce his next place of employment soon. Mercedes seem to have rejected the idea of hiring him. It seems Ferrari might be the place. Im keen to know how Vettel feels about it.
Fullrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2018, 21:14   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ---
Posts: 157
Thanked: 277 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
I suspect Carlos Sainz jr is probably not in the Red Bull roster since he left Toro Rosso to the main Renault team?

Ricciardo is due to announce his next place of employment soon. Mercedes seem to have rejected the idea of hiring him. It seems Ferrari might be the place. Im keen to know how Vettel feels about it.
Redbull have loaned Sainz for one year (end of 2018 season) to Renault. Carlos is still "owned" by Redbull and he is in the redbull programme.
And if Ricciardo leaves Redbull racing, Carlos is the only experienced driver for the redbull team. So redbull won't be too keen on letting him go.
Especially at a time when Redbull-Renault split and Redbull-Honda union talks is taking place.

Seb and Ricciardo are actually good friends. Sebastian has told he wants to race with ricciardo once again after his bad year against him in 2014.

Here's what he had to say

Quote:

"I don't know what he is up to or what he wants, how much he is asking, but I am confident he will find a seat," Vettel said.

"We had one year together which wasn't so good for me but I knew him before that.

"We get along so I wouldn't mind if we got together again in the future.

"But I don't know what his plan is. He has a couple of options and he doesn't need to rush."
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/aap...g-Ferrari.html

And Ricciardo's take on racing vettel

Quote:

"From a personal point of view, I don't think Sebastian is scared," Daniel Ricciardo admitted.

"If I know Sebastian like I think I do, he is 100% a competitor, and lives and breathes F1. That competitor in him would love a chance for redemption after being beaten in 2014. The competitor in him will try and wipe that slate clean. He would not shy away from it." – Daniel Ricciardo concluded.
http://scuderiafans.com/daniel-ricci...oined-ferrari/

Last edited by glikithvinayaka : 9th May 2018 at 21:17.
glikithvinayaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2018, 06:00   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ---
Posts: 157
Thanked: 277 Times
Default

Robert Kubica will take part in a grand prix weekend for the first time since 2010 on Friday after being confirmed to drive the Williams in Practice One at the Spanish GP.

Quote:
"We have Robert Kubica taking part in FP1 in place of Sergey; his first of three FP1 appearances this season," Williams chief technical officer Paddy Lowe said.

"We have a busy Friday programme and it will be interesting to get Robert's feedback on the car."
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/124...p-practice-one

Last edited by manson : 28th June 2018 at 17:26.
glikithvinayaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2018, 11:10   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,533
Thanked: 1,066 Times
Default Re: Formula 1 - The 2019 Silly Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by glikithvinayaka View Post
Seb and Ricciardo are actually good friends. Sebastian has told he wants to race with ricciardo once again after his bad year against him in 2014.
While we all see a matured and composed Vettel this year, I wouldn't read too much into his comments to the press. Its widely known that Ferrari is a one-driver team.

There have been ample rumours that Sergio did look into getting Alonso back into the team but Sebastien was pretty firm into recommending Kimi to stay. They are spending 45 million a year on Sebastien. I am sure he gets a say to who will drive the other car or at least gets to vote.

Another way to look at it is Ferrari could force Daniel into a #2 driver. Would he want that?

If I was Daniel Ricciardo, I would try hard to get into Mercedes. Ofcourse it all depends if he can win more than Bottas this year.
Fullrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2018, 14:56   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ---
Posts: 157
Thanked: 277 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post

There have been ample rumours that Sergio did look into getting Alonso back into the team but Sebastien was pretty firm into recommending Kimi to stay. They are spending 45 million a year on Sebastien. I am sure he gets a say to who will drive the other car or at least gets to vote.
This is not true. Quite the contrary actually.
Last year during the Austrian GP press conference, Alonso told he is interested in Ferrari.
But after the statement was made, Marchionne told to the press "We are not interested".

Quote:

"Maybe he might have some interest for us, not us for him," said Marchionne at the Austrian GP.
http://www.skysports.com/amp/f1/news...lonso-for-2018

Quote:

"Alonso may well have shown the desire to return, but he did not find the right response from our side," said Marchionne. "We're not interested."
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...ng-alonso-back

Not sure where you're statement is coming from. Any source?
glikithvinayaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2018, 16:48   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,533
Thanked: 1,066 Times
Default Re: Formula 1 - The 2019 Silly Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by glikithvinayaka View Post
This is not true. Quite the contrary actually.
Last year during the Austrian GP press conference, Alonso told he is interested in Ferrari.
But after the statement was made, Marchionne told to the press "We are not interested".
A friend who works with Ferrari PR told me this. There was quite a fall-out between both managements somewhere during the 2017 summer break. She swears that she saw Flavio and Alonso walk into the Ferrari HQ during the break in 2017. She also recalls a team gathering which had Sebastien go outright to support Kimi Raikkonen. Lets not be fooled in thinking it was nothing but a friendly gesture to support the Iceman.

Not surprising Marchionne used the tone he usually uses in the article you posted. He is quite thick headed. When there is Flavio and Marchionne in the same room its bound to happen. It was somewhere along the lines of Alonso having to settle for maybe 1/3rd the pay he received in 2014 at Ferrari. Thats just Ferrari being Ferrari.

Last edited by manson : 28th June 2018 at 17:28.
Fullrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2018, 18:01   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
anachronix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Madras
Posts: 3,281
Thanked: 1,324 Times
Default Re: Formula 1 - The 2019 Silly Season

That sort of explains the red mist moments from Nando when he sees a Ferrari

Even more, the way Ferrari played behind his back to get Vettel into the team ousting Nando is an entertaining read.

https://drivetribe.com/p/how-ferrari...QtS0C8Z9g1RALA


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
A friend who works with Ferrari PR told me this. There was quite a fall-out between both managements somewhere during the 2017 summer break. She swears that she saw Flavio and Alonso walk into the Ferrari HQ during the break in 2017. She also recalls a team gathering which had Sebastien go outright to support Kimi Raikkonen. Lets not be fooled in thinking it was nothing but a friendly gesture to support the Iceman.

Not surprising Marchionne used the tone he usually uses in the article you posted. He is quite thick headed. When there is Flavio and Marchionne in the same room its bound to happen. It was somewhere along the lines of Alonso having to settle for maybe 1/3rd the pay he received in 2014 at Ferrari. Thats just Ferrari being Ferrari.
anachronix is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2018, 18:40   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ---
Posts: 157
Thanked: 277 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
A friend who works with Ferrari PR told me this. There was quite a fall-out between both managements somewhere during the 2017 summer break. She swears that she saw Flavio and Alonso walk into the Ferrari HQ during the break in 2017. She also recalls a team gathering which had Sebastien go outright to support Kimi Raikkonen. Lets not be fooled in thinking it was nothing but a friendly gesture to support the Iceman.
Wow this is quite the insider information, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
That sort of explains the red mist moments from Nando when he sees a Ferrari

Even more, the way Ferrari played behind his back to get Vettel into the team ousting Nando is an entertaining read.

https://drivetribe.com/p/how-ferrari...QtS0C8Z9g1RALA
Interesting read indeed. Amazing minds and politics that run in the sport. This explains why a top tier team like Ferrari would be willing to hire a driver after a one year slump.

Last edited by glikithvinayaka : 10th May 2018 at 18:54.
glikithvinayaka is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Porsche, Mercedes confirmed for 2019-20 Formula E blackwasp Int'l Motorsport 0 11th April 2018 13:51
Formula 1 - Silly Season, 2017 polopm Int'l Motorsport 340 23rd October 2017 11:29
Mercedes to quit DTM and enter Formula E in 2019 TusharK Int'l Motorsport 1 26th July 2017 10:46
2012-13 Silly Season is here !!! polopm Int'l Motorsport 132 3rd January 2013 14:27


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:50.

Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks