Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2018, 13:59   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Formula 1: The 2018 German Grand Prix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
They should rename the championship to "Mercedes F1 World Championship" and crown Lewis the winner now. Why are they waiting for the end of the year
Well, some folks call FIA as Ferrari International Assistance !

Very grey area! Based on my very limited experience during my Ameo Cup Race Day, we were cautioned more on entering the pits ahead of the entry point as opposed to making a last minute change in plan. Similarly, they are strict in adhering to the pitlane till one joined the track.

I guess the stewards analysed the whole thing. They probably have more documentation on this which they must have shared with other teams since no one else had complained against the reprimand so far!
Old 23rd July 2018, 14:02   #47
Senior - BHPian

What a disappointing race!

Admitting I am not a fan of Hamilton, I will try and keep this neutral to the extent possible.

Hamilton closed the gap till he got to the 5th position. If I remember right, he had a 40-odd second gap to close. Pretty obvious the top 4 could go into the pits and maintain their position. But it rained and Vettel crashed. Then the cars just got grouped together. This is the first real stupid thing I don't understand. Someone crashes and your lead is nullified.

People were completely confused between Ultras and Intermediates. The rains just managed to control the entire team strategy. Suddenly looking at radar was more important than looking at the road. Exciting, I agree, but betting your tyre strategy on something that is uncontrollable is more of a gamble than race. I would not say this was unpredictable to everyone and hence fair, because had it rained a little earlier, Hamilton would have gotten onto Intermediates instead of Ultras - the whole colour of the race would have changed. But Ferrari had already done their pits and were on Ultras, so they were confused. Mercedes were too, but then getting in and out of the pit is a mere joke when you're Hamilton.

The other part that really annoyed me was the way in which teams put one racer over the other. This has been going on from Schumi times, heck, when will we ever put the fastest racer first? Kimi even said on the radio that if they wanted Vettel to pass, he would let him. Bottas was asked to hold his position. What is the fun in making one racer win all the time? I know it is the points strategy but as a viewer I don't know if I am watching a race or a planned placement of drivers to serve their annual driver and constructor points. Ridiculous.

Vettel crashed and there is only him to blame. Kimi was asked to let Vettel pass but he eventually got them the points yesterday. They should seriously re-look into the points system. And penalising fairly. And not have Mercedes as the sole contributor to the rules while they do it.
Old 23rd July 2018, 14:08   #48
Senior - BHPian

Tough weekend for the Scuderia, what could have been a proper 1-2 finish to the chequered flag was lost by a silly error from Vettel; the Ferrari looks up there with the Mercedes in terms of pace, so all is not lost (I hope )

Lewis "never had a race like this" Hamilton was a lot lucky. Gets away with jumping off the pitlane entry markings and then the Mercedes team orders. Its funny to read a few comments about how he was 2-seconds quicker compared to all other cars on a damp track .

Anyway, this is going to be a mighty season for both Vettel & Hamilton.

Can't wait for the cars to be racing at Hungary in a week!
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 14:12   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
From what we know only Vettel is using the updated PU from Canada. Kimi is still running old spec components, after he fell out of sync with upgrade cycle because of earlier DNF in the season, which makes Kimi's recent performances all the more impressive. Ferrari must have had a stronger package from the beginning to be able to run consistently on par with Mercedes.

Their race strategy was probably to put Kimi on two stopper, that's what Kimi said in his post race interview. So it would have been beneficial for Kimi's race to be running ahead of Vettel at the time.
Really? missed that..do you have a news link on the PU bit?
Seb was quicker though
Old 23rd July 2018, 14:45   #50
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

If the point structure was like the previous one 2003 to 2009, where the point gap between 1st and 2nd is less, then team orders will not be in full effect, since earlier at best you loose 2 points. Now that you loose 7 points we are increasingly seeing team orders.

Last edited by aim120 : 23rd July 2018 at 14:48.
Old 23rd July 2018, 14:49   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Really? missed that..do you have a news link on the PU bit?

Seb was quicker though

This is from May before the update, so not sure what's the latest situation.

https://www.eurosport.com/formula-1/...46/story.shtml

Quote:
If Ferrari brings its second-specification engine to Montreal, it is likely only Sebastian Vettel will have use of it.

Vettel's team-mate Kimi Raikkonen required an engine change during the previous race weekend in Spain, which means he is already on his second combustion engine, MGU-H and turbo, but is using the same specification as what he started the season with.
According to below link Kimi is still on his second ICE which was from Spain.
https://maxf1.net/en/2018-f1-power-unit-elements-usage/
Old 23rd July 2018, 16:15   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I'm sorry. What are you arguing for or against .
It was black and white for Baku, but is grey elsewhere.
And I also remember a period, a veryyyyyy long one, when the f in fia did not stand for federation.
I don't know what you could not understand. Point i was trying to make is same rule is B&W for Kimi's incident but is grey for Hamilton. The rule with the word "Prohibited" in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
There was a lot of talk about the penalty for car 7, as being less. For car no 5 it was more proportional but still less as David Coulthard said during the last race, the steward should give a penalty equal to that of time lost by the victim driver.
So what's the point here? Hamilton didn't have same incident as Car 5 and Car 7 so no point comparing. And the fact about giving people penalty equivalent to victim's loss, it can be debated and added if there is a fool proof way to evaluate time loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Well, some folks call FIA as Ferrari International Assistance !
Very grey area!
Yes, they used to call it that when Ferrari won 5 championships in a row. But that was 14 years back and they were not right to call it that then. But today it is much more evident how rules are perceived for differently for Mercedes.

And for the "very grey area", my argument still remains rule says it is "prohibited" so it is same for every one. Also, all sporting regulations are available on FIA website for everyone to read so i don't what additional rule book they have available to them.
Old 23rd July 2018, 16:42   #53
BHPian

Guess its a case of sour grapes either way, SV looses it in the most spectacular fashion with team orders and still his was a champions drive. LH wins from 14th still he was only helped by luck, team orders and Mercedes influence on FIA. Ferrari infringes and its only a racing incident, Mercedes infringes and suddenly Stewards have to be changed, points scoring has to be changed, etc. I guess this will be on for ever. Wonder what will happen if at all it will, if SV and LH switch teams.
Old 23rd July 2018, 16:49   #54
BHPian

When in Silverstone Lewis had to come back from last due to the first lap incident, he was all exhausted and spent, in his words 'he gave it his all' and so he couldn't give the interview, 2 weeks apart it was the same situation and he had to come through the grid but this time he won and was running here and there giving interviews and all the show he puts up when things go his way, such a brilliant sportsman he is i am sure his fans agree.

Karma strikes for Ferrari and Seb just like it did in China where they had heavily compromised Kimi to block Valtteri for Seb but Kimi ended up on the podium like he did yesterday. Not good to treat your World Champion driver the way they have been doing it since a while. And the FIA stewards are either simply incompetent or blatantly biased, giving the Ferrari drivers contrasting time penalties for similar incidents but just giving Lewis a reprimand where a proper 5 sec penalty was deserved because he did commit the same mistake like Kimi Baku 2016.
trinity0114 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 17:03   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
But it rained and Vettel crashed. Then the cars just got grouped together. This is the first real stupid thing I don't understand. Someone crashes and your lead is nullified.
This single rule has made me stop watching F1 with any interest. As a viewer, I feel so cheated by this rule. I don't know how do the drivers bear such unfair rules. What's the use of having such long races then. A person drives for an hour and a half with such precision and suddenly, because someone else crashed, all his lead that he built so patiently over 50+ laps is gone. And now, the tyres are also cold, so suddenly it is anybody's race. I'd rather they start having time trial races instead then.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 17:09   #56
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
This single rule has made me stop watching F1 with any interest. As a viewer, I feel so cheated by this rule. I don't know how do the drivers bear such unfair rules. What's the use of having such long races then. A person drives for an hour and a half with such precision and suddenly, because someone else crashed, all his lead that he built so patiently over 50+ laps is gone. And now, the tyres are also cold, so suddenly it is anybody's race. I'd rather they start having time trial races instead then.
That is why we have VSC but even during VSC and driver who pits during this period gains. But all this add to fun of the sport. The driver and the team who lost in one race may gain in another, depending on his karma.
aim120 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 17:10   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0114 View Post
When in Silverstone Lewis had to come back from last due to the first lap incident, he was all exhausted and spent, in his words 'he gave it his all' and so he couldn't give the interview, 2 weeks apart it was the same situation and he had to come through the grid but this time he won and was running here and there giving interviews and all the show he puts up when things go his way, such a brilliant sportsman he is i am sure his fans agree.

Nailed it!!! That shows his and his team arrogance about their current stature in formula1 and how much they skate by due to it.
Old 23rd July 2018, 17:15   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
That is why we have VSC but even during VSC and driver who pits during this period gains. But all this add to fun of the sport. The driver and the team who lost in one race may gain in another, depending on his karma.
No competitive sportperson would feel that such a rule is fair. It might be good for reality shows, but this is not Roadies we are watching that we need unfair twists in the story to feel entertained.
Having competitive cars and drivers and fair and consistent adjudication of rules is all that is needed to make and keep F1 interesting. I was so pissed when drivers were just moving out of the way of Hamilton. If I want to watch that, I'll just sit on the side of a road and watch traffic pass by. If these manufacturers can't produce competitive cars then what's the use of having 18 cars on the track.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 17:49   #59
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely gutting to see Vettel crash out. I was just telling myself that he is pushing too hard as his lead to 2nd place seem to be growing lap by lap. I guess he knew Hamilton is supremely quick in changing conditions so he wanted to remove any chance of being caught.

Sports can be nasty at times! LH must be the luckiest guy in the world. He just seems to be able to come back and take the lead in the championship. Vettel on the other side of luck this year.

The Ferrari is quick and hopefully can challenge stronger to take the title. What seems to be an easy for Ferrari has now become a proper thrilling season.

Hungary this weekend, they say RBR will dominate like Monaco.
Old 23rd July 2018, 19:21   #60
BANNED

Mercedes accepts that the new Ferrari is faster than the Merc in straight line speed. So it makes the Red cars faster. Now the rest of season will be interesting. I must say that either Vettel was unlucky or Hamilton handled the wet tract better. Definitely not the rainmeister days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks