Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2020, 21:44   #31
BHPian

Re: Formula 1: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza (September 04-06)

A race I thought would be boring, but I stand corrected.

Great defence by Gasly in P1.
Sainz absolutely gutted & was so close with a result of P2.
I don't even know what to say about Ferrari, I know it's no one's fault the brake line exploded for Vettel & Leclerc's crash. A sad spectacle at the home race.

But happy for AlphaTauri for their first-ever(?) home win. Gasly was overjoyed, I like the fact that most drivers came out & congratulated him. The ultimate underdog among the ranks of Red Bull drivers.

Neo
Old 6th September 2020, 22:12   #32
BHPian

Hats off the Gasly for the way he soaked up the pressure and held it together till the end.
I just don't understand how Ferrari reached here that they are struggling against even Alpha Romeo. Really sad.
I so wanted Kimi on the podium, but maybe it was too much to expect.
Mohan Mathew A is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 22:37   #33
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant Race! Glad to see some other teams on the podium except Mercedes & Red Bull.
Gasly has probably enjoyed the best day of his career till now. Great defence by him. Sainz had a great quali yesterday and I expected him to better it in the race too. Lando also gave a great performance today(P4). Racing Point again showed their abilities with Stroll in P3.

One driver worth applauding is Kimi Raikkonen. He drove in P2 for a bit and like BHPian Shibu said, Give him a good car and he will still win the race.

Ferrari continued to be the disaster it has been and they're lucky that the Tifosi were not in the grandstands today. Red Bull had a bad day and as it stands, Horner really must be shaking his head hard. Even Williams finished in P11 & P14! Great to see them higher up in the leaderboard.

Lastly, Mercedes. They were doing good till Magnussen closed the pit-lane and Hamilton received his 10-sec stop/go penalty. That made the race so-so much better! Bottas had complained of the engine settings and ended up in P5 while Hamilton ended in P7 which is pretty decent for Hamilton atleast.

An interesting thing to note here is that none of the Ferrari powered cars made it to the Top 10,

Last edited by akash_v12 : 6th September 2020 at 23:05.
akash_v12 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 22:54   #34
Team-BHP Support

F1 racing is more fun without Lewis and Mercedes! Lewis and Bottas should start from the back for every race and let real racing actually happen.

Kimi is in a slow car but boy can he drive. He got passed by many cars and fought hard but notice from the several cars that passed him there was respect and clean driving. Nobody touched. They respected him and he did the same. Shows what an awesome driver he still is.

Carlos Sainz was amazing. Deserved to win IMO and the wrong pit just after magnussen incident and before Leclerc left both Mclarens lower than where they should have been.

The last few laps Sainz drove like a rally driver. Never saw an F1 car sideways so much before lol. He was on it.

Gasly did good in absorbing the pressure and good to see him won but I still feel a lot of it was luck but good thing he held on to it.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 7th September 2020 at 10:32. Reason: Typo
Vid6639 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 23:11   #35
Team-BHP Support

Superb race! It looked like Lewis had it in the bag till the pit lane entry bluder. I would have loved to see a McLaren win, but I'm happy for Gasly and Alpha Tauri. Wonder what is going on in Carlos' mind now.

That Ferrari is not even looking like a midfield car. It's more of an also ran. Hamilton showed why he is Merc's No. 1 driver. There's really no comparison between Bottas and him.

Finally, last race for Williams with someone from the Williams family at the helm. I'm someone who considers McLaren, Ferrari and Williams as the mainstays of Formula 1. This is an emotional moment.
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 23:37   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
F1 racing is more fun without Lewis and Mercedes! Lewis and Bottas should start from the back for every race and let real racing actually happen.
No. If that is racing means it should not be called a Formula 1. Instead other teams should pullup their socks and bring the A game to them. Others should win it in on merit. Today they win it on merit. But not like sending the best car and best driver back of Grid for fun means it's not Formula 1 anymore, it's some sort of WWE. If after 7 years nobody can beat Mercedes or Hamilton then that's others problem.
myavu is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 00:04   #37
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Mercedes, we had a brilliant race. Gasly is driving his Alpha at his best this season. Sainz drove absolutely brilliantly.deserved the P2 even without the pitlane debacle.
A non top 3 team podium after a long time. I'll be waiting for the almost oval circuit of Bahrain, and hope that other teams take advantage of one flaw Mercedes has.
Old 7th September 2020, 01:09   #38
BHPian

Formula 1: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza (September 04-06)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
No. If that is racing means it should not be called a Formula 1. Instead other teams should pullup their socks and bring the A game to them. Others should win it in on merit. Today they win it on merit. But not like sending the best car and best driver back of Grid for fun means it's not Formula 1 anymore, it's some sort of WWE. If after 7 years nobody can beat Mercedes or Hamilton then that's others problem.

I agree it is like quota system in our country. Do not pull down people who perform because you cannot catch up to them. When will people realise this ? Till then we are stuck.

Not to start a political debate here but people need to understand that no 1 is there because of hard work and not freebies.

Last edited by tazmaan : 7th September 2020 at 01:11.
tazmaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 02:02   #39
BHPian

What was wrong with the Mercedes Bottas was driving?

Priorities.

Backfired on them, but what a tremendous race. Norris drove brilliantly to defend his position from the handicapped Mercedes of Bottas. Though it was sad to see Max retire, his second of the season. He would have been closer to Hamilton if not for those. I've been praying to see Lewis retire or worse for atleast 3 races so Max & Bottas can close up on him. Today was one of those races but unfortunately neither Bottas nor Max could capitalise on the opportunity.

Hamilton going to the stewards personally to argue on the given penalty was yet again a profound display of arrogance.
wrongturn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 07:57   #40
Senior - BHPian

Although its sad to see a double DNF for Ferrari in Monza, the race turned out to be very exciting! I think Gasly has shown so much character by ensuring he is on top of his game even after being demoted. Just yesterday someone had mentioned in Instagram that Gasly is the next Vettel in terms of his passion, and he goes on to win in Monza, just like how Seb did with the same team in 2008! I hope red bull give him a fair chance at the senior team, they have been far more lenient with Albon than they were with Gasly. Not sure if Albon is hanging on due to his Thai connection.

And Sainz too was brilliant, he lost out in the pit stops, but came back strong. His hunger to win showed that he would not play second fiddle to Leclerc at Ferrari next season. If you ask me, Sainz would be the one less prone to making errors compared to Leclerc.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 09:31   #41
KPR
BANNED

Gasly was too good to defend his 1st place. Sainz gave all his skill and juiced out from his car to take the lead but Gasly held his place. Gasly deserved this 2020 season with a place in Red Bull. What was Albon doing at the back of grid after interrupted start? Defending his last few places? Poor to see RB - 2nd ranked team driver driving like this. I had some hope on him. But every race he's disappointing me. Albon was just fledgling with his RB back at the grid.

Last edited by KPR : 7th September 2020 at 09:33.
Old 7th September 2020, 09:51   #42
Senior - BHPian

Now that's what a race is supposed to be!

So refreshing to see a podium without any Mercedes'. Normally their car setup in on point, but sacrificing top speed for drivability clearly backfired at the fastest track of the season.

Happy for the top 2. Gasly held on well, im sure it will do wonders for his confidence after what he's been through. Mega weekend for Sainz. Practice/Qualifying.. he was always there. Stroll.. well just got lucky.

A frustrated Verstappen, after winning last month! :
https://www.gpblog.com/en/videos/676...t-a-joke-.html

Last edited by Hatari : 7th September 2020 at 09:55.
Old 7th September 2020, 09:56   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Well in the end yesterday's race was more entertaining and fun than the usual parade lap we see. You can see even commentators were saying it is so nice to interview 3 fresh drivers than the usual 3 which is usually Lewis congrats you won again, Valterri you finished second and he would be disappointed and Max you tried your best to come close to Mercedes.

Credit goes to Mercedes where it is due but that doesn't change the fact that the race was super entertaining without them in the foray. I agree Mercedes cars are superior causing this skew but this skew is what F1 is trying to get rid off themselves.

That's why all teams are signing the Concorde agreement for next year where they have a budget cap of $145million across the board for an even playing field.

Then there's the new technical regulations that ban DAS, limit the number of upgrades to the car in a race season.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 10:04   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
I've been praying to see Lewis retire or worse for atleast 3 races so Max & Bottas can close up on him.

You are literally taking a wrongturn, just like your handle.
FURY_44 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 10:22   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Kimi is in a slow car but boy can he drive. He got past by many and fought hard but notice from the several cars that passed him there was respect and clean driving. Nobody touched. They respected him and he did the same. Shows what an awesome driver he still is.
The world needs more people like you who appreciate Kimi

Sincere regards from an ardent fan of the Iceman
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks