Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2021, 01:55   #46
BHPian

Re: Formula 1 | 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix | Hungaroring | 30 July - 1 August, 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus corax View Post
Vettel may lose second place as sufficient fuel sample could not be collected from his car after the race.
Yep, it’s confirmed now. Seb is disqualified moving Hamilton to P2 and Sainz to P3. Sainz has missed attending 2 out of his 4 podiums so far

Absolutely gutted for Seb, he did nothing wrong today and deserved the P2 ( even he could have won if not for the botched pitstop).

But what a race man, what a race!! Certainly the best I have seen in several year. It had everything and there was no moment in the race when I was bored. I loved Alonso’s drive the most.

This was my instagram story post the race and I guess it sums up most of the drama that happened.
Formula 1 | 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix | Hungaroring | 30 July - 1 August, 2021-29a10ab1c7d54ead937650ab9e8a7299.jpeg

Last edited by turbowhistle : 2nd August 2021 at 01:56. Reason: Typo
turbowhistle is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 02:03   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: Formula 1 | 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix | Hungaroring | 30 July - 1 August, 2021

Sebastian Vettel loses second place issue due to fuel sample issue. So disheartening considering the fantastic race he drove. He gets completely disqualified, HAM increases lead margin and SAI inherits 3rd.

Here's the stewards' verdict from here.

Quote:
"The Stewards heard from the team representative.

"After the race it was not possible to take a 1.0 litre sample of fuel from car 5.

"The team was given several opportunities to attempt to remove the required amount of fuel from the tank, however it was only possible to pump 0.3 litres out.

"During the hearing in presence of the FIA Technical Delegate and the FIA Technical Director the team principal of Aston Martin stated that there must be 1,44 litres left in the tank, but they are not able to get it out. This figure is calculated using the FFM or injector model.

"Given this situation, car No. 5 is not in compliance with the requirements of Art. 6.6 FIA Technical Regulations. According to Art. 6.6.2 competitors must ensure that a 1.0 litre sample of fuel may be taken from the car at any time. The procedure was followed however the 1.0 litre sample of fuel was unable to be taken.

"The Stewards determine to apply the standard penalty for technical infringements. Therefore they took into account, that it shall be no defence to claim that no performance advantage was obtained.

"Competitors are reminded that they have the right to appeal certain decisions of the Stewards, in accordance with Article 15 of the FIA International Sporting Code and Article 10.1.1 of the FIA Judicial and Disciplinary Rules, within the applicable time limits."
akash_v12 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 03:06   #48
BHPian

Oh Man! Feel so sorry for Vettel more than RB actually.

I somehow feel that the stewards are so much in favor of mercs and especially their No.1 driver.

If I remember correctly, Romain Grosjean was awarded with a race ban for something very similar to what Bottas did today. Will the stewards remain consistent with their decisions, or will they favor Mercedes, as always.

Nico on the other hand was awesome on giving true insights on the race tactics and strategies.
HOWEVER, he totally felt like a Mercedes man in the commentary box.

I feel the commentator are supposed to be unbiased.

To be very frank, I am losing interest in F1, thanks to the F1 committee favoring mercedes directly/indirectly.

Formula 1 | 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix | Hungaroring | 30 July - 1 August, 2021-ham.jpg

I think if this continues the way F1 is heading, this will be the case in every race, with none in the pitlane as well.

A couple of points for the brain to chew on:
  • Ross James Brawn - British Formula One managing director, motor sports and technical director.
  • Brawn GP = Mercedes : On 16 November 2009 it was confirmed that the team's engine supplier, Mercedes-Benz, in partnership with Aabar Investments had purchased a 75.1% stake in Brawn GP, which was renamed Mercedes GP.

Last edited by iamahunter : 2nd August 2021 at 03:14.
iamahunter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 03:20   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
Oh Man! Feel so sorry for Vettel more than RB actually.
I’m sorry but what’s there with the stewards’ favouring Hamilton? Hamilton won fair and square today, and this comes from a Max fan who has been grueling about the British GP Happenings till date!

This time it was VB and the weather which brought the RB’s down the grid order

Last edited by vb-saan : 2nd August 2021 at 08:39. Reason: typos
akash_v12 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 03:46   #50
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

I somehow feel that the stewards are so much in favor of mercs and especially their No.1 driver.

If I remember correctly, Romain Grosjean was awarded with a race ban for something very similar to what Bottas did today.
If you don't like lewis and mercedes then sure people will think like that.
I remember the same thing was said when Michael was dominating or when Ferrari was let go with a small fine with the engine scandal in 2019, people where saying FIA president Jean todt (former team principal of ferrari) where favoring ferrari.

Quote:
If I remember correctly, Romain Grosjean was awarded with a race ban for something very similar to what Bottas did today.
Will the stewards remain consistent with their decisions, or will they favor Mercedes, as always.
You get a ban when you incur enough penalty points and Roman Grosjeon had plenty of penalty points that season for the various crashed he had.

Quote:
Nico on the other hand was awesome on giving true insights on the race tactics and strategies.
HOWEVER, he totally felt like a Mercedes man in the commentary box.

I feel the commentator are supposed to be unbiased.

To be very frank, I am losing interest in F1, thanks to the F1 committee favoring mercedes directly/indirectly.
When Nico say something negative on Lewis, people will say he is the best commentator, when he says something positive about mercedes then they say he is biased.

Lately I am hearing Max fans also saying Nico praises Lewis to make himself look good because it shows Nico Rosberg championship win as the only other team mate who has won.

Last edited by ajmat : 2nd August 2021 at 09:44. Reason: Capitals
aim120 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 03:51   #51
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Lewis btw has never sounded so exhausted, In fact Ocon had to help him climb up and down the 1st place podium during the photo session. It since been said that lewis still suffers from damage covid did to him and he had the same effect but to a lesser extent in silverstone.

Even after a good time checking with the team doctor, in the post race press conference he was definitely struggling and breathing heavy.

Last edited by aim120 : 2nd August 2021 at 03:52.
aim120 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 09:32   #52
Senior - BHPian

Never seen anything like it! It was comical to watch one car on grid and 19 others scrambling to get out of pit lane! What if Lewis also had boxed, then just the medical car would have taken the race start on the grid!

Alonso's brilliant defence surely prevented Hamilton from getting closer to the leaders, but the initial gap was created by Latifi who held on to P3 for so long and helped Oco/Vet build 15+ seconds gap to the rest.

Now, Vettel is disqualified for not having enough fuel at the end! Sainz has one more podium that he did not get to celebrate!
SilentEngine is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 12:05   #53
Senior - BHPian

What a bizarre race!

Seeing Lewis as the only one on the grid was a shock. Another mistake Merc gets away with.

This title battle has been peppered with errors from the contenders.

The 1st lap incident was the largest multi car crashes in recent years. Bottas ultimately doing his team mate a big favour.

Ocon benefitted from Alonso being inside Vettel pit's window during the 1st stint and could not make the undercut.

Fantastic strategy by Alpine keeping both drivers out while Gasly etc were making early pitstops. Exactly what Sainz instructed his team to do when they were calling him in early. Both drivers saving tires to go long while they were stuck behind Latifi.

Post that great battles throughout, very rare that a driver finishing in P5 actually wins his team the race. What a mega defence by Alonso from a 3s a lap faster Lewis behind him.
Made Lewis look like a rookie. Supreme spatial awareness and aggression, completely fair, despite the ever whinging from Lewis.

Hope Max now sees beyond a victory and understands the importance of big points every weekend. A 2nd place in Silverstone would not have been so bad.

Lastly, the reaction of Horner and Red Bull has been a masterstoke in creating a wedge between Max and Mercedes! Virtually guarantees Toto from making an offer to join Merc.

The Vettel DSQ puts Alpine 29 points ahead of Aston Martin in the constructers, which is massive for the team.

Last edited by Hatari : 2nd August 2021 at 12:14.
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 12:14   #54
BHPian

111th different driver to win a race. Ocon deserved it for how cool he was driving. Seems Alonso also got his 1st race win in 2003 Hungary GP. Hence Renault/Alpine now got some good memories to take away from Hungary.

Had Max's car been not damaged, the race would have been much more interesting.

Bottas's chances of retaining his seat got more slimmer now.

Williams finally getting their cars into the points

Did Merc really turned around with the upgrades or RB couldn't unlock their package fully for this race? I am still not able to find answer.
Old 2nd August 2021, 12:36   #55
Team-BHP Support

Curiously, results have been held provisionally even after the disqualification, pending appeal.

Seems like a rather open & shut case. Even if there is enough residual fuel in the tank like Aston Martin claim, they still don't meet the extraction specification. They might want to remove the tank and give it a good squeeze
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 13:10   #56
BHPian

What a race. Always the race will be very interesting when the usual title contenders (Mercedes and Redbull) falter. Bottas might earn next year's drive in that Mercedes for taking out the two redbulls in one go

As a diehard Fernando's fan its nostalgia for me to see him driving like that. Of course it is a tough track to overtake but Nando defended like a lion

The Mercedes (also on Fresh rubber) is easily faster than Alpine any day. Ocon won the race because of that defensive masterclass from Nando. So happy to see Alpine doing a formation.
Attached Thumbnails
Formula 1 | 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix | Hungaroring | 30 July - 1 August, 2021-medium_2021080173c408e829.jpg  

Senna_sempre is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 13:53   #57
BHPian

The most entertaining race of 2021 season so far, in my opinion.

A little bit of rain at the start of the race, and then dry weather later can shuffle up everything! Everything then becomes tire management and pit stop strategy.

What is promising about this season, apart from the top running teams evenly matched - is that out of the 20 drivers, 4 are champions already, 11 are Race winners, and 14 have already been on the podium. There is no shortage of talent or experience on the grid!
Old 2nd August 2021, 14:00   #58
BHPian

Brilliant race, felt bad for NOR, VER and LEC though. These guys would have made it much more interesting.

I have recently started appreciating Sainz also, before the season I gave him no chance against Leclerc but currently he has equal number of points as him! Gasly was once again pretty solid and deserves a better car.

And what about Mick? Great (if not a little bit too much) defending against Max, Ric and Ham. Great to see the back marker teams putting in a fighting performance - double points finish for Williams.

Just sharing a brilliant advert I got on whatsapp :
Formula 1 | 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix | Hungaroring | 30 July - 1 August, 2021-img20210802wa0001.jpg
AutoConsultant is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 14:24   #59
BHPian

When you forget the name of your former driver
Attached Thumbnails
Formula 1 | 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix | Hungaroring | 30 July - 1 August, 2021-screenshot_20210802142219.png  

corvus corax is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 14:49   #60
BHPian

Can't wait for the season 3 of drive to survive to come out its going to be epic what a 2021 season its been, Red bull Vs Mercedes.

Alonso is in a class of his own, he is shaping up the Alpine team well one step at a time.

Sainz is picking points in Ferrari at a good rate as well.

Most Viewed