Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2010, 13:14   #76
BHPian

Watched every-bit of the race and though it was boring, it did make a wonderful finale to the season. There were two things I was worried about during the race:
a) that Lewis was gonna hunt down Vettel
b) that Petrov and Nico, might have reliability issues giving way for Alonso to finish 4th

I was happy when the order finished the way they did and what a pleasing sight to see Vettel take the championship. I am sure he will be much stronger next year. I did expect Alonso to cry and it was fitting that Petrov replied by almost touching Alonso's ferrari after the gesture. Though I hated Alonso, I was happy to see Ferrari win under him but what a sore-loser he is! Overtaking was difficult but not impossible, Kubica pulled a couple of moves on Kobayashi and Sutil.

Sebastian Vettel, You are the man of the season. Did anyone notice how tensed was RBR pitlane until Petrov finished ahead of Alonso?
Old 15th November 2010, 13:48   #77
Senior - BHPian

I missed seeing Alonso showing finger to Petrov live. Seriously, isn't he a bad loser? Did he forget 2007 Brazil race, where he said whoever wins the final race should be the champion?
I hope this guy doesn't win anything in future. As a Kimi fan, i am doubly happy that Ferrari got a big zero in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
The other sad part is Karun Chandok having to sit out of most of the races this season, Man..............! Thats depressing. Hope he gets to race in an F1 car the next season.
Small consolation for him: He is classified higher than the other 3 HRT drivers and 2 Virgin drivers in the final WDC standings.
Old 15th November 2010, 14:11   #78
Senior - BHPian

Great finish to as awesome season. Congratulations to Vettel...

Don't feel sorry for Alonso/Ferrari, they ran a very bad final race. Webber looked as if he had given up hope after Vettel qualified on pole.

Quote:
I missed seeing Alonso showing finger to Petrov live.
But did you notice Petrov swerving to the left and almost touching Alonso's car? He wasn't gonna let anyone spoil his party.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 15th November 2010 at 14:19.
Old 15th November 2010, 14:56   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
But did you notice Petrov swerving to the left and almost touching Alonso's car? He wasn't gonna let anyone spoil his party.
Yes, saw that in the video GTO posted. Petrov drove a great race yesterday, without any mistake and kept Alonso behind him for 40 laps.
With the drive yesterday, he has earned his place in the grid for next year.
Old 15th November 2010, 15:06   #80
BHPian

i kind of feel that webber was cheated on the championship front by the red bull.the red bull always favored vettel and treated webber as there 2nd driver , the whole year they were neck to neck and now suddenly in the last race he is half a second slower!!!!

i feel that vettel was given a superior car than webber and now i guess poor webber cant criticize the team cause if he does that he would be kicked out of the team and due to his age he wont be able to join the top teams again

remember alonso had a same problem with mclaren in 2007 when they were favouring hamilton nd he complained about the performance of car and criticize the team and then he shifted to renault luckly for him that he got a chance at Ferrari but sadly at the expense of kimi (my fav driver)
Old 15th November 2010, 15:40   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose56 View Post
i kind of feel that webber was cheated on the championship front by the red bull.the red bull always favored vettel and treated webber as there 2nd driver , the whole year they were neck to neck and now suddenly in the last race he is half a second slower!!!!

i feel that vettel was given a superior car than webber and now i guess poor webber cant criticize the team cause if he does that he would be kicked out of the team and due to his age he wont be able to join the top teams again
Conspiracy theories are always nice to read but i guess webber was not upto the mark yesterday and probably will never be champion if he doesn't make the most of the situation, also remember that he made a error in Korea that actually cost him the world title
Old 15th November 2010, 16:04   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
I hope this guy doesn't win anything in future. As a Kimi fan, i am doubly happy that Ferrari got a big zero in the end.
+1 to that mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj.barcode View Post
but i guess webber was not upto the mark yesterday and probably will never be champion if he doesn't make the most of the situation,
Adding to that, its Vettle who rose to the occasion, and was absolutely untouchable on Sat and Sun. It was the best he could do and hope things would go his way and they did. What an awesome display.

Was nice to see him chatting with Schumi after qualifying on Sat, the "Baby Schumi" has come to the fore. He will be unstoppable now.
Old 15th November 2010, 16:22   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Going into the last race, Webber was in a much better position than Vettel to win the championship.

If Webber won the race, Alonso had to finish 2nd but if Vettel Won, Alonso would still be champion with a 4th place finish.

So i doubt Redbull would take such a huge risk.

Vettel's championship was due to a combination of his fantastic driving and the fact that Ferrari/Alonso messed up.

Reminds me of 2007, when Kimi took advantage of Alonso and Hamilton's mistake, to come from 10 points behind and win the championship.

Shan2nu
Old 15th November 2010, 16:30   #84
Senior - BHPian

Vettel as usual didn't have to overtake or defend his position.
As usual, consistent qualifying laps + a track that doesn't allow overtaking got him the win and championship.
Which means at this track, Vettel won the championship on Saturday.
And Alonso lost the championship at the first corner when he was being "safe" and let Button pass through.
Old 15th November 2010, 17:03   #85
BHPian

Congrats to our youngest Weltmeister!!
Red Bull have won both the championships this year quite deservingly.
And did anyone notice that this was the first time that Vettel is on top of the championship table in this season?!!
And a very good drive by Kubica.
Except for the visuals, I find the Yas Marina circuit quite boring, very few overtaking opportunites!
Old 15th November 2010, 17:10   #86
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose56 View Post

remember alonso had a same problem with mclaren in 2007 when they were favouring hamilton nd he complained about the performance of car and criticize the team and then he shifted to renault luckly for him that he got a chance at Ferrari but sadly at the expense of kimi (my fav driver)
I doubt that 10 pole positions are due to Webber gotten the inferior car. Also Mateschitz is a straight forward person and a very strong personality who is rather impartial and expects from his team fair play.

Also it would have been pretty dumb to give Webber the 'inferior' car. Vettel was unlikely to win the race and the title when he started fronm the pole position. The risk would have been to big and nothing being gained.

I could turn the question now round and ask you: "Did Webber stay behind Alonso to do his best that his team mate does not get the title?" The reality is that the situation has turned out to be favorably for Vettel in this race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Vettel as usual didn't have to overtake or defend his position.
As usual, consistent qualifying laps + a track that doesn't allow overtaking got him the win and championship.
Which means at this track, Vettel won the championship on Saturday.
And Alonso lost the championship at the first corner when he was being "safe" and let Button pass through.
Qualifying is a part of the race. Overtaking took place. It was just that hardly anyone had the guts to do it. Schumacher attempted and was thrown out of the race for it.
Old 15th November 2010, 17:33   #87
BHPian

There is no denying the fact that Vettel did a good job. He has the pace and he had a good car throughout the year. Kudos to him.

But over the years we need to see how he races in other conditions where he has to come from behind in a race, not alone from pole position. That is Hamilton, Alonso, Kimi kind of racing. I dont think he has done anything like that yet. If pole position alone can win races and the championship then we can watch only the qualifying and give up on the race.

Hamilton did a very good job with that car and he did make a good fight in the last race. All through the year he has been aggressive and extracting more from the car that was clearly inferior. And as for Ferrari the race year started from mid year when they were able to make some improvements. Ferrari think tank needs a big change.

Button though world champion of the previous year didn't shine as bright as Lewis all year. Last year he had a clear car advantage. This year on a par car he didn't deliver the results.

One observation is that in this forum until Saturday there were lot of cheer and support for Webber and Alonso. Once Vettel won clearly that has changed.

I think Red bull decided to take it easy on Webber once he put a poor show in qualification and used him as a dummy to toy with Ferrari. But that is strategy and it worked well for them. Congrats again RBR and Vettel.

Waiting for more exciting 2011!

Last edited by LandCruiser : 15th November 2010 at 17:35.
Old 15th November 2010, 17:54   #88
BHPian

As a supporter of Ferrari, this was a very disappointing race to me. I was so sure that Alonso would walk away with the title. He had the upper hand and made a tough decision to pit which cost him the crown. But I still say that the decision to pit Alonso immediately after Webber was a good one. But this 'pest' called Petrov ruined Alonso's chances. Kudos to Vettel, that cheeky bugger never was on top of the standings the entire season but on the day it mattered the most, he came on top. As for Ferrari's pit stratergy, they could not afford to lose sight of Webber and had to be in his shadow. Oh well, next year will be the era of the Prancing Horse's Return!!
Old 15th November 2010, 17:55   #89
Senior - BHPian

Isn't it ironic that the team which got Alonso his 2 world titles was responsible for his loss this weekend.
Old 15th November 2010, 18:16   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Not really. If he had managed to stay behind Button throughout the race, he would have become the champion. P4 was good enough for him. He lost because of the dumbest pit strategy ever executed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
There is no denying the fact that Vettel did a good job. He has the pace and he had a good car throughout the year. Kudos to him.

But over the years we need to see how he races in other conditions where he has to come from behind in a race, not alone from pole position. That is Hamilton, Alonso, Kimi kind of racing. I dont think he has done anything like that yet. If pole position alone can win races and the championship then we can watch only the qualifying and give up on the race.

Hamilton did a very good job with that car and he did make a good fight in the last race. All through the year he has been aggressive and extracting more from the car that was clearly inferior. And as for Ferrari the race year started from mid year when they were able to make some improvements. Ferrari think tank needs a big change.

Button though world champion of the previous year didn't shine as bright as Lewis all year. Last year he had a clear car advantage. This year on a par car he didn't deliver the results.

One observation is that in this forum until Saturday there were lot of cheer and support for Webber and Alonso. Once Vettel won clearly that has changed.
I think next year you will see a much improved Vettel.

I was actually rooting for Webber. But he just crumbled. He had given up even before the qualifying. Statements like "if i don't win, it's not the end of the world" were clear signals that he isn't the one.

Quote:
I think Red bull decided to take it easy on Webber once he put a poor show in qualification and used him as a dummy to toy with Ferrari. But that is strategy and it worked well for them. Congrats again RBR and Vettel.

Waiting for more exciting 2011!
Webber pitted because of his potential tyre failure. His right rear tyre had kissed one of the walls. Unfortunately Ferrari team read too much in it and decided to pit both their drivers immediately. Ferrari should have just ignored that and concentrated on their own race, after seeing that Webber had come out behind Rosberg and Petrov who had already made their stops. So i still don't understand why they made such a blunder.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks