Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2011, 19:08   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 2011 Hyundai i20 Asta. EDIT : 62000 km up and EPS module changed twice

Glad to hear about your your good service experience. Could you mention the total hole in the pocket? Also, how was the touch up job? Could you post some pictures of it?
Old 11th July 2011, 19:22   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Glad to hear about your your good service experience. Could you mention the total hole in the pocket? Also, how was the touch up job? Could you post some pictures of it?
It was a free service so the only cost was that of the anti rust coating which came with a 5 year warranty costing my mom 1655.

Regading the touch up, I would give 5.5/10. It is good enough to escape a casual glance. The big scratch which I got on the front bumper is still visible. But hey its a touch up after all. You cant expect factory like finish. I will put up the pics soon.
Pancham is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 13:02   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
It was a free service so the only cost was that of the anti rust coating which came with a 5 year warranty costing my mom 1655.

Regading the touch up, I would give 5.5/10. It is good enough to escape a casual glance. The big scratch which I got on the front bumper is still visible. But hey its a touch up after all. You cant expect factory like finish. I will put up the pics soon.
Anti rust coating for 1655 is quite a steal buddy. I just gave my car for the second service today and they said currently there is some 20% discount on this service. I was quoted 3300- 20% discount. It comes to around 2800/- or so.

I am wondering whats the exact price.
Old 18th July 2011, 17:35   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
Anti rust coating for 1655 is quite a steal buddy. I just gave my car for the second service today and they said currently there is some 20% discount on this service. I was quoted 3300- 20% discount. It comes to around 2800/- or so.

I am wondering whats the exact price.
I agree 2800 is very high compared to my 1655. I thought this price was supposed to be more or less same across all service centres. So did you get it done?
Old 18th July 2011, 20:53   #80
BHPian

Quote:
I agree 2800 is very high compared to my 1655. I thought this price was supposed to be more or less same across all service centres. So did you get it done?
Yes, I got it done. Came out to 2400 including the discount. Got the engine oil and the oil filter also changed. Set me back by 3800/-. The car drives pretty smooth now. And the noise levels inside the cabin also seems to have reduced.
Old 14th December 2011, 23:18   #81
Senior - BHPian

A small update.

I think my i-catcher was also one of those special vehicles which came with steering rattling problems. i am not sure about the sound but it used to come from the steering column. Whenever I used to drive over rough roads there was this "clattering" sound. I wont call it a rattle though.

So I mentioned about this during 2nd service. The workshop guys tried to solve the problem but to no avail. After that the service center called me 3 times to send the car over again so that they can see what the problem is. They were infact more eager than me.
This time around they insisted me to give them the car for atleast 2 days. So I did. I deposited my i-catcher yesterday. The SA called me today late evening and said the problem has been solved. I will pick up the car tomorrow morning. Really eager to see whether he has actually managed to solve the clattering sound.
. If they seriously manage to pull off something I would be more than happy as I have a strong feeling that this is indeed the steering rattling problem.
Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Pancham : 14th December 2011 at 23:21.
Old 15th December 2011, 14:17   #82
Senior - BHPian

Steering noise issue solved

Steering noise issue solved

As I had mentioned in my previous post that my car was in the workshop as they wanted to solve my steering noise problem. So I collected my car today morning and I must say since yesterday i was being a complete pessimist about this whole thing. I was pretty much sure that they wont be able to solve the problem especially after reading the reports in Team-Bhp.
Come 15th December and I reach the workshop as early as possible. The SA who worked on my car did not turn up today so a different SA came up and took me to my car. So I buckled up with my finger crossed.

And then...we started. BUT before that I must mention that the roads leading to this workshop are one of the craziest. The area is pretty underdeveloped with loads of go-downs and bad roads. POSITIVE SIDE~~Good, infact very good for testing whether the rattling is there or not. The roads are so bad that you would be able to here every squeak, squeal, kach, kooch in your car. Your car will cry out to you "Lord please get the me out of this hell". Yes the place is that bad. Coming back to the point, as we hit some really bad roads I was amazed. The sound, yes the clattering sound was gone. I was satisfied very satisfied. because my expectation was nearly ZERO.

Now, when I asked the SA what they did he said that since he never checked the vehicle he was unaware of the procedure that was carried out by my SA to rectify the problem.

My Verdict:

The steering feels much better now. They must have lubricated the...something. The car is much better to drive. BUT as the rattling disappeared some other sounds came up from other parts of the car. I told the SA about this. He acknowledged but told me that this is not a one day job. So I decided to take my car for now and ignore the squeaks. I felt these squeaks are pretty normal for many cars. Will definitely get it rectified but till then let it drown as the music volume goes up.
I am very much satisfied and relieved that the steering noise is gone. It may come back but hey we cant cry and spoil our present by adding a "may" in everything. So I will be enjoying my i-catcher for now.
Thats it for now. Cheers.

MODS PLEASE EDIT THE THREAD TITLE AND ADD "STEERING NOISE PROBLEM SOLVED".

Last edited by Pancham : 15th December 2011 at 14:25.
Pancham is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 14:52   #83
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that your rattling issue is solved. Check for some more days to make sure that the issue is really solved. Please ask your SA the procedure and update in the thread so that many BHPians who are suffering with this issue can ask for the same thing with their SA as many are clueless about the issue.
Old 15th December 2011, 18:54   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Good to know that your rattling issue is solved. Check for some more days to make sure that the issue is really solved. Please ask your SA the procedure and update in the thread so that many BHPians who are suffering with this issue can ask for the same thing with their SA as many are clueless about the issue.
Yes obviously the next few days will be wait and watch types. As you may have noticed I wrote I was satisfied since i am very much aware that the issue may surface once again.
Old 4th January 2012, 14:35   #85
Senior - BHPian

Super happy with Hyundai Service

UPDATE:

Part 1:
How did they solve the steering noise issue???

SA calls me:
SA: Sir, how is your car now?
Me: Not so good. The noise inside the cabin is irritating.
SA: Why dont you send the car down once more sir.

I go into the depression mode. No not again. Guys who know Spring Hyundai Service Center knows what I am talking about. The roads are pathetic and the locality even more. Its quite a task to reach the Service Center without scratches and dents. So its quite a pain you know where.

Me: Okay. I will see what I can do?? But Mr. Halder tell me something how did you solve the steering issue.???
SA: Sir, we just opened up the things and set it right.

I didnt really understand what he had done but whatever he had done had solved the issue. So I was happy.

Part 2

Till date I was only satisfied with the service of Spring Hyundai. I had even considered to not visit them for my 3rd Service. Thought of trying out some place else which would be closer to my house.

The Hyundai SC guys had been calling me for the past week asking me to get the car. I being the procrastinate homo sapien delayed it. Also the roads that led to the SC was....you know what I dont have words.

Today, one of the SC guys called me up and inquired about the problem. I told him that I wont be able to get the car today. He said he will come down and get the rattles and vibrations fixed at my place. I was a little surprised because my previous efforts to get them home to fix my car were in vain. The SA never really showed any interest to come down home. But this time they did.

Two chaps pulled up in a white Santro. One of them was a mechanic and the other boasted a slightly higher designation. Both were very well behaved. We went for a test ride and he acknowledged that the vibrations and rattles do exist. He then took the car inside my garage and the mechanic started working on it. Till then the other guy was doing his bit.

On asking a few things about the car he started explaining everything about the car's engine. What to do and what not to do? He was very knowledgeable. He was also very patient and explained everything.

One of the most significant things in that conversation was that he acknowledged the fact that many i20s are having the steering rattling issue. He himself came up with the topic. He told me that the i20 has a defective "damper". AND THE SERVICE CENTER IS HAPPILY REPLACING IT UNDER WARRANTY. The new dampers are doing fine. They havent yet received any complains.

So then the car was done. It took around 2 hours. They solved all the problems and they happily checked out everything that I asked them to. They stayed till I was totally satisfied. We took 2 more Test rides and I was happy. The sounds were gone.

So overall I am very happy with their service. They even cleaned the Air filter and the A.C filter( bad smell every time I switched it on).
Folks, this is coming from a person who was thinking of changing the SC but I may just drop in for the 3rd Service.
A big to Spring Service.

P.S: As per the SA who visited my place Hyundai recommends SERVO mineral oil after an interval of 5000-6000 Kms. Quantity= 3.5Litres

Last edited by Pancham : 4th January 2012 at 14:41.
Old 4th January 2012, 15:22   #86
BHPian

It was really good to know about the kind of service your dealer is providing.
While their effort is worth appreciating for sure but the 'defective damper' thing is something puzzling. Is it the same temporary fitting that is made to steering as informed by Hyundai?
If Hyundai can get it right by changing the so called 'defective damper' then why it has still been a persistent problem with new i20s ?
Old 4th January 2012, 15:31   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
It was really good to know about the kind of service your dealer is providing.
While their effort is worth appreciating for sure but the 'defective damper' thing is something puzzling. Is it the same temporary fitting that is made to steering as informed by Hyundai?
If Hyundai can get it right by changing the so called 'defective damper' then why it has still been a persistent problem with new i20s ?
Good point turbo. But you know what if you ask them the same question they will say, " Sir, we haven't received any complains on the new models"
Old 4th January 2012, 16:23   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
It has nothing to do with a defective damper, but the pathetic design of the steering system itself. The rattle starts again after the car has been driven for a few miles after the supposed "fix". So how is the damper supposed to be responsible?, these Hyundai fellows must be asked.

This was the closest they came to acknowleding it( on record) as a design defect.
Quote:
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2011 10:05 AM
To: Sandesh Kanchan
Cc: Customer Relations ; xxx@hmil.net
Subject: Re: Service booking for GJ11SXX at XX Hyundai, Rajkot for 6 May 2011

Dear Mr. Kanchan,

We understand your concern regarding your i20 car steering noise.

We assure you that once a modification/upgradation of the concerned part arrives, we will surely get back for necessary rectification.

Kindly do not have any apprehension on the same.

Regards
XXX
----- Original Message -----
To: XX
Cc: XX ; Hyundai Customer Care ; XX; XX
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2011 11:02 AM
Subject: Fw: Service booking for GJ11SXXX at Shreenath Hyundai, Rajkot for 6 May 2011

Dear Mr XXX,

I am waiting for your response regarding the steering rattle issue in the car. It still remains as it is and looks like it never will be resolved. Please note this issue has been existent in the car right from the beginning. As you are well aware, the car underwent so many tests and experiments at the Junagadh workshop and the issue remains as it. Thanks to the Junagadh workshop's "brilliance", the car now suffers from various after effects. It had suffered from an EPS malfunction in December last year.

No other car which I have driven, including some cars which cost less than one third of an i20 have this issue and Hyundai should not be particularly proud of this fact. You must, in fact ask your engineering/technical support team whether they will ever be “game” to solve this issue.

If you still believe that car does not have the steering rattle, please speak to Mr XXX. I made it amply clear to his technicians what rattle it is during two seperate TDs. It was the same rattle for which the great WM in Junagadh had quite famously proclaimed to be steering rattle in front of us, then called it suspension noise an then quite foolishly claimed that no rattle could be heard.

If I may ask you, those technical people from Hyundai HQ, Delhi had told us that they will be back if the steering rattle returns in the car. Where are they now? I have provided every proof that the rattle exists in the car.At that time, they claimed that the problem will be fixed when the car visits the workshop(Junagadh) next time. Those people in Junagadh never managed to fix the issue, but in what seemed like a shameful and cowardly act of revenge, ended up severely damaging the car and then shamelessly denied their hand in the damages caused.

There is no point blaming Shreenath Hyundai about the steering issue.They tried all that they could during the period that the car was there to repair the rattle. Whether the steering system has been screwed around by the greats in the Junagadh workshop so much that it has reached a point of no return(repair) or whether it is a manufacturing/design defect, you decide.I have already adviced you of the many things that those people in Junagadh had damaged in the car because of their incompetence.

Since the steering rattle issue can’t be resolved and it keeps on recurring, please acknowledge this as a manufacturing/design defect.If not, well, kindly advice the future course of action in getting rid the rattle in the car.

Regards,
Sandesh
I am still waiting for them getting back to me. Please be advised all sorts of experiments were done on my car(everything that Hyundai TSBs). Eventhough they will never ackowledge it, the bitter truth is Hyundai goofed up big time with the steering on the i20.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 4th January 2012 at 16:29.
Old 4th January 2012, 16:45   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
It has nothing to do with a defective damper, but the pathetic design of the steering system itself. The rattle starts again after the car has been driven for a few miles after the supposed "fix". So how is the damper supposed to be responsible?, these Hyundai fellows must be asked..
Yes Kanchan. You are correct. One question though. Do the European i20 also have the same steering rattling problem??

i-catcher says hello and Happy New Year to all.
Attached Thumbnails
2011 Hyundai i20 Asta. EDIT: 62000 km up & EPS module changed twice-dsc02866.jpg  

Last edited by Pancham : 4th January 2012 at 16:54.
Old 4th January 2012, 16:57   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes Kanchan. You are correct. One question though. Do the European i20 also have the same steering rattling problem??
Have a look at this link. Apart from Indian i20s, i20 owners based in Denmark, Italy, RSA and Holland giving their details about the steering rattle issue:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...en&output=html

If you have a look at Hyundai, UK(not official) forums, even there, there are reports of steering rattle issues by UK based i20 owners. One of the reasons those Hyundai fellows were claiming (initially) for the steering rattle issues was the condition of Indian roads. When these issues were reported on i20s abroad, I guess they understood that it had nothing to do with the roads, but the steering system design itself( which they fail to acknowledge on record).

Last edited by skanchan95 : 4th January 2012 at 17:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks