Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2011, 21:09   #151
BHPian

re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI. 5k &10k KM Services (Pg 14 & 18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
If he checks the paperwork and the date of manufacture matches, we'll be even surer of Torquedo's hypothesis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
Whaat!! It was proven long back. I have made a collection of the plates of various vehicles and matched each and every one. No need to do any more checks - it's all good!
Got worded wrongly - so here goes again (edit time expired)!

Whaat!! It was proven long back. Torquedo's judgement is right and I have made a collection of the plates of various vehicles and matched each and every one to prove it. No need to do any more checks - it's all good!

Last edited by keyur : 4th August 2011 at 21:19.
Old 6th August 2011, 23:47   #152
BHPian

re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI. 5k &10k KM Services (Pg 14 & 18)

have a look at
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...ml#post2459010
Any comments
Old 7th August 2011, 08:35   #153
BANNED

@ Optimist -

Were the Chevy logos from the alloys removed by you for a PDI or was it a case that you went for a PDI and found them missing?

If latter be the case, I would be a bit worried.

I would be suggestive that you check the discs on all the 4 wheels for rusting and if you are not happy with the vehicle just refuse to make the full payment.

Good luck mate and keep us posted on your findings !!

Happy Motoring !!
Old 7th August 2011, 08:52   #154
Senior - BHPian

Buddy,
Why would you need ICD in your car ? Where do you live in PUNE ? Just curious
Old 7th August 2011, 23:48   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Buddy,
Why would you need ICD in your car ? Where do you live in PUNE ? Just curious
It's just something to do with an incident that had occurred with a friend. Since then, it's better to be safe than sorry (rather - better that you are safe and the other guy is sorry

Anyways, it's more of a deterrent!

I live in PCMC, and my neighbourhood is absolutely safe - it's just that I tend to go for solo drives at just about any time of day or night!
Old 8th August 2011, 00:42   #156
BHPian

The Grey Torqedo - Horn Button Conversion Done

Optra Magnum LS - Steering center horn issue resolved!

I used to have a lot of issues moving my palm to the center of the steering wheel to hit the horn pad. So after thinking of a lot of options, have finally done the mod to have 2 more buttons added on the side.

Took me about 2 hours and just finished the install - works great!

Now need to get into merging it into the steering wheel (the looks part of it!)
Old 8th August 2011, 18:46   #157
BHPian

Hi Keyur,

Just wanted to check if you have opted for sun films and which one you went in for? how is the heat transmission from the front windscreen? is it worth going for one in the front also with 70 % visibility? also does changing the headlamp to 90/100 void the warranty?
Old 8th August 2011, 23:36   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
@ Optimist -

Were the Chevy logos from the alloys removed by you for a PDI or was it a case that you went for a PDI and found them missing?

If latter be the case, I would be a bit worried.

I would be suggestive that you check the discs on all the 4 wheels for rusting and if you are not happy with the vehicle just refuse to make the full payment.

Good luck mate and keep us posted on your findings !!

Happy Motoring !!
That car was just unloaded inspected by the yard guys and kept locked in the stockyard. There were some parts inside the car. I will know tomorrow when i go for the actual PDI if they are missing or kept for later fitment which i feel is the case.

What is the specifications of the stock alloys on the Magnum?
Thanks.

Last edited by optimist : 8th August 2011 at 23:38.
Old 9th August 2011, 02:27   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Hi Keyur,

Just wanted to check if you have opted for sun films and which one you went in for? how is the heat transmission from the front windscreen? is it worth going for one in the front also with 70 % visibility? also does changing the headlamp to 90/100 void the warranty?
The side and back sunfilms are all 1 shade darker than the RTO approved. Garware Classic Ash something if I am not wrong! Don't remember the rating. They were a part of the package!

The front shield has a decent slant to prevent any direct sunrays onto you - I was planning on going in for a VKool (100% visibility), but cancelled the plan when my neighbour's car's windshield was broken by kids playing cricket (alongwith the 11000 Rs worth of VKool) .

I would disrecommend any sun film on the front windshield which will reduce visibility - in the dark, with the already weaker headlights, visibility is important. Again, try the car out for a few days - you can get the films fitted whenever and if-ever you want

90/100 requires changes in the wiring. If you see the fusebox of the Optra, you will see that it's headlamps already have high current rated relays, but I am not sure about the wiring. In any case, if you fit the external relays on the Optra, technically it will void the warranty, but it is at the discretion of the service station.

Instead of directly going in for this, would suggest that you check the stock lamps, then try the direct replacements like NBs or XVs (check my thread on the headlamp DIY). You can always move onto 100/90s later, after you are aware of the exact shortcomings.
keyur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 15:09   #160
BHPian

Thank you Keyur. I am inches close to buying the Optra Magnum LT Black from Sundaram Motors, Bangalore. Though I cant see you when you read this, I can understand the smile. Will share the VIN no once I reach that stage, and maybe it will be the same one you mentioned few posts back. I will wait for few days before going for any Headlamp upgrade or sun film.
Old 15th August 2011, 22:36   #161
BHPian

Quick update.

My dad had taken the Optra out for a couple of days. Total running was around 300 kms.
The FE that he got was around 16.7!!

My dad definitely drives more decently than I do and he said (ahem) that he didn't go above 150, the average speed being around 110 - 120.

The FE that he got definitely makes me very happy!

Now a question :

I have clocked nearly 4600 kms on my Optra. The 5000 km servicing (normally scheduled for 6 months) is drawing up close. It has been 3 months since I bought the car.

I am planning to go on a 1200-1500 km drive this weekend. So what is the general suggestion -

a. I should complete my trip and then get it serviced.
b. I should first get the servicing done and then go on my trip.

Please do provide your suggestions here.
keyur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2011, 23:34   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quick update.

My dad had taken the Optra out for a couple of days. Total running was around 300 kms.

My dad definitely drives more decently than I do and he said (ahem) that he didn't go above 150, the average speed being around 110 - 120.

The FE that he got definitely makes me very happy!
That sure is very good FE. At those speeds, it should even make GM happy!

What was the tyre pressure maintained?

Quote:
Now a question :

I have clocked nearly 4600 kms on my Optra. The 5000 km servicing (normally scheduled for 6 months) is drawing up close. It has been 3 months since I bought the car.

I am planning to go on a 1200-1500 km drive this weekend. So what is the general suggestion -

a. I should complete my trip and then get it serviced.
b. I should first get the servicing done and then go on my trip.

Please do provide your suggestions here.
The least you should do is to get your oil changed. Even more so, given it is the first oil change of the car. Recommended even more, since you were doing high speeds in your running in period too.

How I would do it is to get it serviced in advance. Also to make sure there are a few days and some decent use between service and the trip, just to be sure something didn't get messed up in service.
Old 15th August 2011, 23:41   #163
BHPian

Complete your trip and then get it serviced. No technical reasoning behind the suggestion but I would finish the miles well beyond the scheduled servicing and then go for it.

BTW, all ye Optra Magnum Diesel lovers, I have got the delivery of my Sandrift Grey Beast last Saturday. Did over 230 kms in 3 days including a longish drive of 120 kms today. Will be posting my ownership report soon.

Thanks Keyur for all the help. And ofcourse Poitive for his Spacious Diesel thread and advice. Several others helped with their experiences and discussions. I am certainly a happy bloke. More details in the ownership thread soon.
Old 15th August 2011, 23:44   #164
BHPian

Quote:
That sure is very good FE. At those speeds, it should even make GM happy!
GM happy or not, I am definitely happy.
Actually, I used to fill the tank up right till the brim. Dad filled it only till the autostop (both times - before and after the trip). Maybe that made a difference.

Quote:
What was the tyre pressure maintained?
The company recommendation is 28. I had experimented from 28 till 31 and found 29 to be decent enough. So now I maintain it at 29.

Quote:
The least you should do is to get your oil changed.
It's the first servicing and they will not just change the oil. Need to get the whole job done.
The GM guys strongly advise you to not change even the oil from any other service station (or by yourself) in the warranty period.

Quote:
How I would do it is to get it serviced in advance. Also to make sure there are a few days and some decent use between service and the trip, just to be sure something didn't get messed up in service.
I am travelling on Friday, so do not have much time in advance. Probably Wednesday or Thursday.
Old 15th August 2011, 23:49   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Now a question :

If it's me, I will do the servicing & take it for the long drive.[ Its not only preaching, I in fact make sure to do the service or a general check up before most of my long drives just for the personal satisfaction & security.]

Reasons:

1. See, the drive is quite a long one & I would like the car to be in good condition. A service before travel ensures, things are checked and car is in good [better] shape.

2. You service schedule kicks in just 400 kms more. When you come back from the trip, its already clocked an extra 1000 kms.

3. If you take your car after servicing, you could do a general check up once its back. Might cost you less than 500/-.

4. New car, so treat it with more care as the engine is still kind of new.

5. Service it & you should be having a better drive with fresh oil, filter etc.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 15th August 2011 at 23:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks