Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2013, 00:56   #106
BHPian

Re: Petrol Power - My Silver Skoda Laura TSI *Update* 30,000 kms & 2nd service comple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Update : Stage 1 remap and Bilstein B6 suspensions installed.
Congratulations Santosh! I am eagerly awaiting your impressions on the mods post a highway drive.

The combination of Bilstein + Stage 1 remap is very, very tempting

Have you contemplated getting stock vRS springs? No reduction in ride height, but there should be a slight difference.
azeemhafiz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 11:01   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Petrol Power - My Silver Skoda Laura TSI *Update* 30,000 kms & 2nd service comple

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post
Congratulations Santosh! I am eagerly awaiting your impressions on the mods post a highway drive.

The combination of Bilstein + Stage 1 remap is very, very tempting

Have you contemplated getting stock vRS springs? No reduction in ride height, but there should be a slight difference.
Thanks Azeem. Yeah the mods have come out very well and I am very happy. My idea was to go step by step with the mods so I can understand what difference each component brings about. The Bilstein B6 + stock TSI springs combo seem to work pretty well for now. The handling has completely transformed and gives the driver immense confidence at the wheel. You end up doing silly speeds without even intending to. I'll ride with this set up for some time and think of going for VRS springs if need be. But I really doubt I 'll be needing them as the current set up seems to satisfy all my needs (for now at least ) Wish I could lower the car though. After seeing a few lowered cars I hate to see that gap in the wheel arch in my car. My tyres may hold out for another 7 ~ 8k kms or so. That's when I'll have to take a call on whether to go for 17" borbets. If I do that, then I'll definitely go for the VRS makeover as well. Yup, the modification has bug has got me

My highway drive is just a week away and I'll post a detailed impression soon. Can't wait to get out on the highway really!

You should drive my car back to back after driving yours on the same road. That's when you'll know the difference. Let's catch up sometime soon.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 18:22   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Petrol Power - My Silver Skoda Laura TSI. *Update* 200 BHP and Bilstein Suspensio

This is how the Bilsteins look.

Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-img_0012.jpg

Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-img_0013.jpg

These are specific to the Octavia range (Laura). The shocks are paired with stock springs in my car and the ride height is same as before. The ground clearance for Lauras sold in India is 164 mm whereas the European cars ride at 145mm. Lowering springs from H&R are available with Pete's and they lower the car by about 30mm. I opted not to lower the car as I travel with a fully loaded car quite often and hence needed the GC. With the Bilsteins, I reckon my GC with a fully loaded car will have improved than what it was with the stock shocks, given the increased damping power and stiffness.
Old 26th June 2013, 18:50   #109
Team-BHP Support

Re: Petrol Power - My Silver Skoda Laura TSI. *Update* 200 BHP and Bilstein Suspensio

Congratulations man, great mods. Do switch to PS3s when you change tyres next.

Also do update on the remap once you spend more time with the car. Do the stock brakes feel inadequate with the now more powerful engine?

Seriously about time for me to remap mine
Old 27th June 2013, 12:41   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Congratulations man, great mods. Do switch to PS3s when you change tyres next.

Also do update on the remap once you spend more time with the car. Do the stock brakes feel inadequate with the now more powerful engine?

Seriously about time for me to remap mine
Thanks Akshay. PS3s it will we when I change tyres. The question is whether to go for 17 inchers or stick with the 16s. 16s will be a safer option as I will not risk damaging the alloys on bad roads, which I sometimes have to take. Also since I drive with the a full load when travelling with my family, I don't think going for 17s will be wise.

With the increased power I know the brakes will be under pressure. I am running on fairly new front pads, and they seem to be able to cope well with stops from the increased speeds. I'll need to keep an eye on the brakes and replace pads/ discs as soon as I feel any decrease in stopping power. IMO for my driving style, stock brakes in good condition should suffice post the remap. I may just have to replace pads a little sooner than I would with the stock car.
Old 27th June 2013, 19:58   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Akshay. PS3s it will we when I change tyres. The question is whether to go for 17 inchers or stick with the 16s. 16s will be a safer option as I will not risk damaging the alloys on bad roads, which I sometimes have to take. Also since I drive with the a full load when travelling with my family, I don't think going for 17s will be wise.

With the increased power I know the brakes will be under pressure. I am running on fairly new front pads, and they seem to be able to cope well with stops from the increased speeds. I'll need to keep an eye on the brakes and replace pads/ discs as soon as I feel any decrease in stopping power. IMO for my driving style, stock brakes in good condition should suffice post the remap. I may just have to replace pads a little sooner than I would with the stock car.
Stick to the 16s that you have now. No point in going for 17s for highway drives. With 45 profile you will have to be careful. Rather have piece of mind. If anything paint your current rims to gunmetal, it will look great.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2013, 21:06   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Any improvement to the top end?
Can you share the costs?
Old 6th July 2013, 12:04   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Any improvement to the top end?
Can you share the costs?
Anand, it's been just about 2 weeks since I've done the remap. I haven't had the opportunity to test the top end yet. I did a 500 km drive a couple of days ago to Belgaum, where I am currently at. There is a definite improvement in the bottom and mid range. It just keeps pulling and the there is no let up. I haven't specifically tested the top end during this drive. Will do that on my return journey to Bangalore and update. One definite observation is the abundance of torque in 6th gear at cruising speeds. I will post a detailed report after completing my return journey.

I have PMed costs to you.
PS : You need to clear your PM box

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 6th July 2013 at 12:13. Reason: Added PS
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 08:28   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Santosh, looking forward to your report on the top end. Also, I cleared my inbox, if you could resend the PM...
Old 8th July 2013, 08:50   #115
BANNED

Quote:
I might be crucified for saying this, but the Laura feels a bit sluggish on take off and very slow crawling speeds. The motor is not as eager as the Corolla to take off from standstill and takes an ever so slight while to wake up until the turbo gets into action. ...this TSI engine has the slightest of it. But it is still there, which has made it a little difficult for me to plan those tight overtaking manoeuvres or catch that small gap in traffic, which I would have done easily in my Corolla.
Quote:
There is a definite improvement in the bottom and mid range.
Your assessment of low rpm power is bang on! Has the remap helped in the improvement of power at lower rpms?
Old 8th July 2013, 14:23   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Your assessment of low rpm power is bang on! Has the remap helped in the improvement of power at lower rpms?
Well that comment of mine was made within my initial few days of ownership. I just needed to come to terms with driving a turbo charged car. Coming from the Corolla which is quite peppy and linear at city speeds I did not feel all that comfortable while closing gaps in traffic with the non linear power delivery that comes with a TC'ed car.

If you ask me now, I wouldn't say that low rpm power in the stock car is poor. The turbo comes into play past 1,800 rpm and once the turbo is in boost you are flying. I feel that with turbo charged cars, its best to stay in the turbo zone and not lug the engine in higher gears and I have adapted my driving style accordingly.

As I mentioned before, I do see an improvement in bottom end power and in city driveability is certainly better post the remap. Not that it was that bad before . The biggest improvement after the remap is the mid-range, which is simply explosive.
Old 12th July 2013, 13:06   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

I just returned from a 1200kms drive on NH4 (Banglore - Belgaum - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Bangalore)

My car has done about 39k kms since I bought it 2 years ago, out of which nearly 30K kms must be on this highway alone. I know exactly where the road curves, exactly where every speed breaker is and exactly on which stretch people come in the wrong dircetion! In other words I am extremely familar with the road and how the stock car behaved on this road.

I had a blast driving the car on the highway. The Bilsteins have just transformed the handling, poise and road manners of the car. You just don't realise what speed you're doing until you look at the speedometer. I just can't describe that feeling of control you get at the wheel. All that torque starting from low down in the rev range going right up to the redline meant that I had some great fun on the highway. One big diffference is the tall and dead 6th gear which was good for cruising only, is now wide awake. Whenever the speed drops to 120 or 100 kph, just a dab on the throttle and the car races up to crazy speeds in no time. With the stock car one would feel the need to downshift to get back upto speed. There is a bit of an improvement in the top end too, but its the midrange that blows you away. The Belgaum - Kolapur stretch of NH4 is one awesome stretch and the moment some work came up in Kolhapur, I was literllay salivating. I had a run in with a big German car and it was great fun playing with some inflated egos.

For the Bangalore - Belgaum journey I tanked up with Speed97, just to see what difference 97 octane makes with the remap. Return journey was with regular unleaded 91 octane petrol. To be honest, 97 octane hardly makes any difference. THe car was pulling just as strongly with the regular 91 RON. Interstingly the car consumed more fuel for the Bangalore - Belgaum journey with 97 octane than the return journey with regular fuel, despite the fact that Bangalore is at a slightly higher altitude. My driving pattern was pretty similar with both journeys.

Here are some quick facts

Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-imag0382.jpg

Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-imag0383.jpg

Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-imag0384.jpg

Bangalore - Belgaum
Distance travelled : 510 kms
TIme taken : 5 hrs 25 mins
Avg Speed : 94 kph
FE : 9.3 ltrs/ 100 kms or 10.75 kpl
Fuel Speed 97

Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-imag0389.jpg

Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-imag0390.jpg

Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-imag0391.jpg

Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-imag0392.jpg

Belgaum - Bangalore
Distance travelled : 510 kms
TIme taken : 5: 36 mins
Avg Speed : 91 kph
FE : 8.7 ltrs/ 100 kms or 11.50 kpl
Fuel : Normal Unleaded from BP (BS3)

A similar drive with the stock car would give an FE of about 12 ~ 12.5 kpl. There is a slight drop in the fuel efeciency of about 1 kmpl on an average. A small price I'd say for the increased performance.

One thing that I noticed was that on regular fuel, there was a bit of jerky power delivery when you go wide on the throttle at around 2,500 rpm in 4th or 5th gear. It would then smoothen out past 3,300 rpm. This happened only when I would hit the throttle at 2,500 rpm and not at, say 3,000 rpm. I don't think this was there while the car was on 97 octane. A case of ECU needing some time to readapt to the 91 octane fuel perhaps?

I am running on fairly new front brake pads which have done only about 5k kms. They have bed in real nice and are very reassuring even with the increased speeds and power. In any case I am not one who cuts it real close and drives on the limit all the time. I have a habit of maintaining good distances with other vehicles. As such I did not feel any need for improved braking. Same with tyres. The 16" Michelin PLCs that I've got, though comfort oriented tyres, are very very grippy. Their grip has never let me down. In fact, I can barely remember when was the last time the ABS kicked in. I have done almost 40,000 kms on these tyres, and for a heavy and fast car like the Laura TSI I am amazed with the life of these tyres. Tread depth on each tyre is still more than 3mm.

I am in love with my car yet again and I've decided to pamper her with some more upgrades, albeit cosmetic. Let's see how it goes.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 12th July 2013 at 13:25.
Old 12th July 2013, 13:16   #118
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Santosh on such juicy upgrades. They do give the car a uplift from the mid life crisis blues. Do share the costs of these upgrades.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2013, 11:25   #119
BHPian

Looking at modified TSI threads is tempting me to buy one instead of buying big german cars.

Quote:
I had a run in with a big German car and it was great fun playing with some inflated egos.
Which car was it?
Old 15th July 2013, 12:36   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Which car was it?
It was a BMW X3. He was ripping the car to glory, though his driving manners were really good. He was sticking to his lane pretty well whenever any slow moving vehicle came in his lane and maintained safe distances. I was alone in the car and decided to have some fun. To be fair to him he seemed to be carrying some load. I'm sure he did NOT expect a plain jane Skoda to out accelerate him like that. No external mods on my car you see

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks