Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2016, 12:20   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Liva : The Red one comes!(30,000kms update)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
The advantage is smooth cruising on the highways. But, you will have to drive in a lower gear especially in the ghats. It's just about getting used to the gear ratios.

Yes, it's butter smooth and linear acceleration. Never do you feel any sort of jerkiness. even when you accelerate or when you take the foot off the pedal.
To be frank, the incline was really steep but then I'm sure it will be a cake walk for the Micra. It was just a 10k km run un-abused Liva; I have to think the clutch is a bit weak from other cars, and it happened multiple times. The first time it happened, I didn't want to scrap the underbelly at the exit of the incline and was climbing slowly, but to my surprise the car didn't complete the climb. I put on the handbrakes (which I am unused in the Micra) and had to burn a bit of rubber.

And yes, the front overhang tend to bottom out on craters. A bit concerned about ground clearance as the underbelly scraped on a couple of occasions over ordinary humps.

Whatever, the bottom point is that I was like riding a horse and never felt tired after the 6-7 hours of ghats and town. Just be sedate at lower RPMs and thereafter she zooms and cruises, a Mercedes among the segment. I was surprised (and confused) when our moderator termed his Liva as noisy and unrefined.
Old 23rd September 2016, 13:33   #122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
T. I put on the handbrakes (which I am unused in the Micra) and had to burn a bit of rubber.
The dci 1.5 definitely has much better low end torque. In my "What car" thread, I have also mentioned it

Quote:
. I was surprised (and confused) when our moderator termed his Liva as noisy and unrefined.
I think newer liva's have improved their sound deadening. Compared to other cars in this segment at that time the sound level inside the Liva is much higher. Micra, i20, and even Ritz sounded more silent sitting inside. So while the engine may not be "unrefined", lack of sound deadening in my version makes it feel unrefined.
Not that I am complaining. Its the first time we have owned a reliable car. Our first car was an Indica, who had an affair with the electrician at the workshop, and what to say of the Safari, which likes to have long distance flings with the plant people themselves.
tsk1979 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 14:09   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I think newer liva's have improved their sound deadening.
Do you mean the recent face-lifted version? I'm asking because I was thinking of getting a before-face-lift Liva at the older price if available.

The things that put me off is the bland interiors (not exactly the features but the odd looks, almost all design lines seems to be borrowed from Japanese alphabets) and the price difference with the Figo and its' 99 horses.
Old 23rd September 2016, 14:46   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Do you mean the recent face-lifted version? I'm asking because I was thinking of getting a before-face-lift Liva at the older price if available.

The things that put me off is the bland interiors (not exactly the features but the odd looks, almost all design lines seems to be borrowed from Japanese alphabets) and the price difference with the Figo and its' 99 horses.
Post 2013, Etios and Liva NVH has improved considerably. Check it here -

If I were you, I would have choosen the Platinum Etios Liva for one reason.

The ISOFIX for child seats.

That should improve the child protection rating of the Etios Liva.
Other things like 3 point center seat belt and Optitron speedo comes as an advantage as well.

With regards to the fun to drive factor, there's no doubt that the new Figo Diesel is miles ahead. With the Toyota, you can buy a car for life.

But, going for the Etios instead of the Liva will give you an advantage in ride comfort thanks to that huge wheel base.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2016, 11:15   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So while the engine may not be "unrefined", lack of sound deadening in my version makes it feel unrefined.
Bit off-topic here, but I don't have much clue on damping, suspension improvements and tuning box.

I am wondering if I go for all the above treatments on my Micra, will it behave a bit more like the Liva. I love the Liva's suspension; it's absorbing yet firm. Can an aftermarket suspension give this effect to my Micra? The Micra bounces a bit yet we feel the harshness of the hit inside. And will a tuning box or remap reduce the jerks while putting the foot on and off the accelerator pedal? How about damping the firewall more to reduce engine noise?

Am I talking sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
With regards to the fun to drive factor, there's no doubt that the new Figo Diesel is miles ahead. With the Toyota, you can buy a car for life.
Even the Liva is a bit over my budget compared to the Ford, so no way of going for the Etios sedan and moreover I just need a hatchback.

Nice comparison videos there. There definitely is improvement in the NVH from the older model.

Coming to the fun-to-drive factor of the Figo, what exactly is this, in layman terms as lots of people are using this description for the Figo? I'm not a corner carver but definitely like oodles of bottom end torque. Does the Figo have good low end grunt, any idea?
Old 6th March 2017, 01:12   #126

Came across your review while searching. Finished in one go. I was laughing for at least one minute while reading about center console part with wife staring at me weirdly. Read your TD threads also. I like your writing style.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks