Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2014, 22:24   #256
BHPian

Hi karan

Let me officially congratulate you on your thread for your win at the Drag strip :thumbup:

Pretty proud moment must be.

I was pretty excited to know about this win, when you told me today at our Fortuner Drive meet.

Bravo ! !
Monaro CV8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 13:05   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The ULTIMAT3 - F30 BMW 328i EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust & INJEN intake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Hi karan

Let me officially congratulate you on your thread for your win at the Drag strip :thumbup:

Pretty proud moment must be.

I was pretty excited to know about this win, when you told me today at our Fortuner Drive meet.

Bravo ! !
Hey Monaro,

Thanks man it indeed was a proud moment for me & the car.

Old 28th February 2014, 12:54   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The ULTIMAT3 - F30 BMW 328i EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust & INJEN intake!

328i Named Best 'Sports Sedan' by Consumer Reports for the second consecutive year

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-mythumb.jpg

According to Consumer Reports;
Quote:
The BMW 3 Series has long set the standard for sports sedans. The current model delivers excellent handling and a high fun-to-drive factor. It’s also roomier, more luxurious, and more fuel-efficient than past models. The 328i’s 2.0-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder engine is quick and thrifty, posting 28 mpg overall, which is best among gas-powered models in its class.
Source
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 17:21   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Drinks break ;)

Recently the car threw up an error saying the "engine oil level is low" ;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-image1968425116.jpg

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-image4231294637.jpg

So i drove her to the service center the next day to top it up. Double checked the engine oil grade from the owners manual in the i-drive;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-image2576637037.jpg

Quality Longlife 01, Check

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-image1486827638.jpg

Pop open the hood;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-image3859471648.jpg

A well deserved drink

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-image436281997.jpg

Checking the engine oil level after the top up;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-image2565583488.jpg

And was well above the tolerance level;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-image257244627.jpg

& good to go;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-image4132782014.jpg

Key notes;

Odo reading 11050 kms

Been a little more than 18 months now since have purchased the car & this is the 1st oil top up.

Also note the car hasn't been serviced yet, the computer still shows 2500 kms more for the 1st service

Last edited by karan561 : 11th March 2014 at 17:36.
karan561 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 19:41   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Drinks break ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Been a little more than 18 months now since have purchased the car & this is the 1st oil top up.

Also note the car hasn't been serviced yet, the computer still shows 2500 kms more for the 1st service
My car has run only 2500 kms so far and the message is flashing that the service is due in next 7000 kms. I am guessing diesel variants need a service earlier than the petrol counterparts?
Old 11th March 2014, 22:36   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
My car has run only 2500 kms so far and the message is flashing that the service is due in next 7000 kms. I am guessing diesel variants need a service earlier than the petrol counterparts?
There's no such fixed rule that diesel variants would require service before, but it more depends on the driving style, how you've treated your car in the running in period & thats how the car calculates the service intervals.

I had this similar chat with my SA & he said ideally diesels come in for their 1st service around 8-9k kms & similarly for petrols is around 10k again, but he also complimented me that i would have driven the car pretty well that the service is still holding up & will be scheduled around 13k mark which he said the previous best for a petrol BMW he had seen was 11.5k kms
Old 12th March 2014, 08:44   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Recently the car threw up an error saying the "engine oil level is low" ;

Odo reading 11050 kms

Kudos to your good driving.. I had a similar chat with an BMW engineer and he also told me it totally depends on the driving style. I sure you also get an excellent milage out of your car. The service interval also depends on the journey time and distance. If you have frequent stop start intervals then its different. My 1st service was also done around 8-9 k km but it was done without any warning on screen. It would have also lasted around 18 months. But im surprised how come its been more than 18 months. You need to get it checked as the service interval here in india is 18 months or 15k km before 1st service and the same for 2nd. My 2nd service is due in 4 months when it will be 18 months and its been almost 10k since the 1st service.
Your car computer probably hasn't been fed the correct starting date. The European date format is different than indian so if it was 01/07 it means 1st july here and 7th January in Germany. Get it rectified as thereis no reason for it to be more than 18 months in India.i had the same problem when I got my car and it was figured by the engineer when he saw the service date far beyond the limit. The longest interval seen in Germany was around 30k or so as told to be by the engineer as the person drove straight on the expressway and back and the running was in excellent conditions. Its good your showing good driving skills by extending the service life.
Its good you got it topped up as in Indian conditions the lubricants in the engine oil are all used up and topping up provides new lubricants. Did you also check the air filter? and the a/c microfilter? Those im sure will be clogged up. That's the main reason why you should get the service done in time if not before.The computer wil not show an error until the performance goes below a certain level. However its upto us to keep it under top conditions. The computer measures the engine oil quality and quantity using certain sensors and gives a warning.How accurate they are for Indian conditions is not very clear. Many auto enthusiasts change the oil filter etc after 1 year irrespective to get best performance. For indian conditions a washable air filter is the best as you can remove and wash it every few months and its even recommended by bmw.
When I went for a service even though the warning was not there the air filter was totally clogged. They cleaned it with air even though its not recommended as the service date was not shown on screen.
Are you under BSI ? If yes then hope the topping was done under BSI.
sunny1974 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 10:39   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny1974 View Post
Kudos to your good driving..
Thank you for your kind words

Quote:
Your car computer probably hasn't been fed the correct starting date. The European date format is different than indian so if it was 01/07 it means 1st july here and 7th January in Germany. Get it rectified as thereis no reason for it to be more than 18 months in India.
My car has been fed the right date and according to date the 1st service is due on May 2014.

So 1st service is due in 2500 kms or 05/2014, which ever comes first

Quote:
Are you under BSI ? If yes then hope the topping was done under BSI.
No, im not under BSI & hence had to pay Rs 1517/- for 1L of the engine oil.

Last edited by karan561 : 12th March 2014 at 10:41.
Old 12th March 2014, 12:43   #264
BHPian

Karan, just a quick question.

I just purchased the C200 and the service interval is 15,000km or 1 year. Since you have had the car for 18 months and she is yet to serviced, is it better to follow the service interval specificed by the manufacturer or go by the computer? The Mercedes SA, at the time of delivery, stated that the car should be serviced within the 1 year/15000 km mark.

I ask this because I too, like you, have not opted for the service pack.

And one more thing: although i just joined the forum, have read this ownership report from day 1! fantastic piece of writing and congratulations on owning which is without an iota of doubt, one of the best drivers car (petrol) available under 50lacs today!
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 14:17   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Mine seems different. I have done 6000 and it says another 6000 to go. Looks like I am not having enough fun
Sunnysm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 14:56   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Karan, just a quick question.

I just purchased the C200 and the service interval is 15,000km or 1 year. Since you have had the car for 18 months and she is yet to serviced, is it better to follow the service interval specificed by the manufacturer or go by the computer? The Mercedes SA, at the time of delivery, stated that the car should be serviced within the 1 year/15000 km mark.
I ask this because I too, like you, have not opted for the service pack.
IMO it is the best to go by the computer / car reading.

In your case its stated 15k kms / 1 year which is defined by the dealership / SA.

But what does the car computer say ? When is the 1st service required according to the car ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
And one more thing: although i just joined the forum, have read this ownership report from day 1! fantastic piece of writing and congratulations on owning which is without an iota of doubt, one of the best drivers car (petrol) available under 50lacs today!
Thanks, i appreciate your comments

Last edited by karan561 : 12th March 2014 at 14:58.
Old 12th March 2014, 20:20   #267
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There's no such fixed rule that diesel variants would require service before, but it more depends on the driving style, how you've treated your car in the running in period & thats how the car calculates the service intervals.

I had this similar chat with my SA & he said ideally diesels come in for their 1st service around 8-9k kms & similarly for petrols is around 10k again, but he also complimented me that i would have driven the car pretty well that the service is still holding up & will be scheduled around 13k mark which he said the previous best for a petrol BMW he had seen was 11.5k kms
That's probably due to you spending so much time in EcoPro mode.

RohanDheman - I think Mercedes itself recommends 1 year or 15k kms in India, so better to stick with that. I doubt the Mercs have variable service intervals in India.
Old 13th March 2014, 10:38   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
That's probably due to you spending so much time in EcoPro mode.

RohanDheman - I think Mercedes itself recommends 1 year or 15k kms in India, so better to stick with that. I doubt the Mercs have variable service intervals in India.
Akshay, you are right when you say that Mercedes recommends the 1 year/15k km service interval. However, after reading Karan's post, i did check the service assist in the car last night. Although the car completes 2 weeks today, the onboard computer says Service A in 361 days. Now compare this with the Skoda, which prompty reduces a day after the service is reset.

I guess it would prudent to follow the 1 year/15k kms interval and not be too relient on the computer.

Thanks for the inputs Karan and Aksay.

Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 12:52   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Had organized a drive last weekend with a few BHPian & other friends to Aamby Valley via NH4, here are some pics;

Line up @ Palm beach road;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-1.jpg

E Drafting the 3

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-2.jpg

En Route Aamby;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-3.jpg

Warning: Dont stare for too long, you may get Hypnotized

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-4.jpg

The 3L oil Burner;

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-5.jpg

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-6.jpg

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-21.jpg

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-7.jpg

That smile on our faces says it all about how exciting this drive was

The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module-8.jpg

Last edited by karan561 : 26th March 2014 at 13:01.
karan561 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 17:49   #270
BHPian

Re: Tires Tires Tires!!

Quote:
33 psi ? What pressure were you previously running ?
Hi Karan, I was previously running on 30. The ride does feel a lil bumpy, but no more "bubbles" till date (keeping my fingers crossed and eyes peeled to the road surface).

Note from Support : Post Edited. Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks