Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2012, 09:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Our Maruti Swift ZDi, 11 Months & 16,000 km Review

Guys, Thank You for all the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
That made for a very good read. Apart from numerous +ves. which all of here seem to know, the things that bother me a wee bit in Swift & where I feel Maruti should improve or rather may I say 'innovate" are:
- Lower part of the dashboard is too low, my shin strikes against this part while driving, to the level of getting very annoyed.
- Another isuue with front legroom, the central console waterfall tunnel remains in constant touch with my left knee. This also gets bothersome after sometime sitting behind the wheel.
- I own a Vdi & rue the absence of Seat height adjust, the seating is too low for my liking.
- I do not find much favour for the cars in which one has to squat down to get in. Swift is one of them, low seating means gettin in & out is not comfy.
Apart from these issues which I personally feel day in & day out, others may not be feeling so maybe, its a wonderful car.
I recall the same being said in the official review. And it is a pain to get into the rear seat. The roof is low and the door doesn't open wide. But I feel, the seats are at a good height.

Also, I am a very short man. A whopping 5’4”. So my center of gravity is very low and I normally slip my way around things. The dash or the console doesn't bother me in any way.

That said, I find the lowest setting of the driver seat to be tall enough. I like to sit low in a car and in fact I feel, I am sitting a tad too tall in the Swift. You should definitely try the i20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
1) I find the stock headlamps to be quite ordinary. They are useless on highways. I have considered an upgrade several times but limited night driving has put that on least priority.
2) The wipers in my ZDi are quite noisy. I considered an upgrade but will wait for the next monsoon for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
Completely agree with this. I hate the headlight beam on my Zdi and contemplated a lot on switiching over to 100/90. But limited night driving on highways + not wanting to add relays et all made me stick to xtreme vision. yet to fix them on the car though.

Wipers too am not happy with the stock. One monsoon and its already streaking. I will switch to hella/bosch come the next monsoon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
Mine Swift ZDI started to rattle within 2000 kms of ownership that too when driven on very good roads and was fixed by MASS. Now the OVRMs rattle on rough surfaces and also in synchronization with the sound beats from OEM door speakers. Bass and Treble is set to +2 and +1 respectively.

The headlights is one of the worst in Swift. IMO our old M800 stock headlamps had better throw even without level adjustment system. Swift headlamps are useless on highways and its very difficult to drive when it rains even in city limits. The beam throw is very low on both the modes. Have set the adjustment level to "0" still its not working for me. I'm forced to use high-beam mode often even during city driving.
Fog lamps are useless.
It looks like either the headlights on our Swift are an exception here or I got exemplary night vision. Either ways, I guess I shouldn't complain. LOL. I do a fair bit of highways and night driving and I haven’t found a reason to upgrade.

Regarding the wiper, I forgot to add that MASS adds a MGA branded soap solution during each service. I guess they sell it for INR 13. And I top up the reservoir with plain water every 2 or 3 weeks. Also, I make sure the wipers are dust free even when the car is dirty as I use them quite often. I lift them up and wipe the rubber blade. I don’t have any other explanation for this. Guess I got lucky.

And there is no rattle anywhere from the car. The Kerala highways are notorious for craters and very rough surfaces and we have had a fair share of this in the last 11 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
Great review. Comprehensive and neutral. And a running of close to 1500 km per month means having bought a diesel is significantly helping your wallet.
Yep, that surely helps. Else, I would have taken the ZXi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Deetjohn
Excellent review and spot on. A few other points that I have from my ownership,
1) Apart from the tall 2nd, I find 3rd a bit taller than the second. Always have to rev to 2200 rpm to upshift to 3rd else the engine lugs.
5) The a/c is excellent in hot conditions but in highly humid days with lower temperates, the acc cuts off too sooner for my liking..
Very correct on the ACC. It gets confused at times and I turn off the AUTO when I feel the air is not cold enough for a given temperature setting. Forgot to add this point.

The 3rd works for me since the 2nd is tall and significantly helps the momentum of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Bring more better pictures please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PranavDesai View Post
Congratulations DeetJohn, may you drive a million happy miles with your Kungipalu (what is the meaning of the word?). The picture #3 was fantastic, a hot car and a long long stretch of good tarmac, what else one needs?
Once again, best wishes with your ride and please post more pics (since you do have lot of scenic places down South!!)
Kungipalu is just a Malayalam name. I simbly wanted something colloquial.

I was at Ponkunnam over the weekend. It was raining all throughout and got to enjoy some excellent tarmac. Hope you guys like it.

Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-p1040719-copy.jpg
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-p1040721-copy.jpg

Last edited by deetjohn : 23rd October 2012 at 09:33. Reason: Typo.
Old 23rd October 2012, 09:50   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
It looks like either the headlights on our Swift are an exception here or I got exemplary night vision. Either ways, I guess I shouldn't complain. LOL. I do a fair bit of highways and night driving and I haven’t found a reason to upgrade.

Regarding the wiper, I forgot to add that MASS adds a MGA branded soap solution during each service. I guess they sell it for INR 13. And I top up the reservoir with plain water every 2 or 3 weeks. Also, I make sure the wipers are dust free even when the car is dirty as I use them quite often. I lift them up and wipe the rubber blade. I don’t have any other explanation for this. Guess I got lucky.
You are not alone in your observations, mate
I too have nothing to complain about the stock headlights, and my car is mostly used in highways. I have even felt the lighting of the new swift to be better than the old one.
As regarding to the wiper blades, it's been 8 months and 12k kms in my car and I am perfectly happy with the blades. I too make it a point to clean the rubber blades each time I wash my car, and I have a covered parking. I use Sonax wash wiper fluid. Guess these helped to maintain my wipers.
jingaboysr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 09:49   #18
BHPian

Excellent review Deetjohn.. Spot on and to the point!

Kudos for the car and the pics too

Would like to clarify one thing though. Over the year, could you let us know about the fuel economy you've been achieving through the mill?

Thanks in advance.
Carb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2012, 10:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carb View Post
Would like to clarify one thing though. Over the year, could you let us know about the fuel economy you've been achieving through the mill?
The MID shows the average as 17.1 KM/L.

I haven't kept a FE log, but I have a fuel log. We have used around 970 Liters of fuel till now and the current reading is a little over 17200 KM, which gives an F.E. of around 17.7 KMPL.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2012, 16:12   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
We have used around 970 Liters of fuel till now and the current reading is a little over 17200 KM, which gives an F.E. of around 17.7 KMPL.
17.7 kmpl is very good indeed, when you average out both city and highway driving. :-) Thanks for the info and wish you many happy miles. Do keep the posts coming.
Old 29th October 2012, 00:54   #21
BHPian

Congrats John on your Swift and glad to see another Malayalee here. Wishing you many miles of happy journey with her.

Your point by point review writing style seems very good. Very good review.

But, the 1st picture there, one with those effects, with swift in rain; Is that your original picture ? Because i saw the same picture on facebook, posted by another guy. Just thought of asking you.
akhil_rpmlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 10:57   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
1) I find the stock headlamps to be quite ordinary. They are useless on highways. I have considered an upgrade several times but limited night driving has put that on least priority.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Deetjohn

4) I find the headlamps throw for the low beam a bit lower. Have replaced them with phillips rally 100/90 and relays.
Quote:
Completely agree with this. I hate the headlight beam on my Zdi and contemplated a lot on switiching over to 100/90. But limited night driving on highways + not wanting to add relays et all made me stick to xtreme vision. yet to fix them on the car though.
Update: Went to MASS on Saturday and got the Head lights adjusted. I was unaware that there is a provision to adjust the beam throw apart from the Headlight leveling switch. Now the throw is quite OK and now it possible to drive on known Highways comfortably. Earlier I was not satisfied with the area under illumination + the brightness. Now after the adjustment the area under illumination is perfect to my liking however the brightness is still the sore point.
beast_within is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 22:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover View Post
Your point by point review writing style seems very good. Very good review.

But, the 1st picture there, one with those effects, with swift in rain; Is that your original picture ? Because i saw the same picture on facebook, posted by another guy. Just thought of asking you.
Glad to know you liked the thread akhil_rpmlover. My friend took that picture in his iPhone. In fact, the Swift is standing under the hot sun by the Dimbam Ghat on the awesome NH 209 in that picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
Update: Went to MASS on Saturday and got the Head lights adjusted. I was unaware that there is a provision to adjust the beam throw apart from the Headlight leveling switch. Now the throw is quite OK and now it possible to drive on known Highways comfortably. Earlier I was not satisfied with the area under illumination + the brightness. Now after the adjustment the area under illumination is perfect to my liking however the brightness is still the sore point.
Good to know that. Maybe you should try the OSRAM Night Breaker or Philips X-tremeVision for more intensity.

I had gone to MASS to get my fog lights aligned, but the SA said there is no provision for it. Need to do something about it.
Old 29th October 2012, 22:22   #24
BHPian

@deetjohn Nice clean writeup. I have the older vdi and was always wondering how the new one fared. So my assumption that its not just cosmetic is true.
The older model itself is such a smooth gem. Ofcourse the major plus'es in the car take care of all the smaller issues.
On the headlight front yeah, I too feel it inadequate , though might have to check after getting MASS do something like what beast_within got done
Old 31st October 2012, 14:19   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Dear funkyp, whatever you do, do not put 100/90 or 110/100 lamps in your car. I had upgraded the bulbs in two of my previous cars and both times the front of the headlamps started yellowing. In fact, I had to change the headlamp assys on my innova due to this. Try adding Hella/Lightforce/other cheaper foglamps for your highway jaunts.

Wipers: Bosch are the best in the business and they hardly cost around Rs.310. Try to get that changed immediately.
speedmunster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 20:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmunster

Dear funkyp, whatever you do, do not put 100/90 or 110/100 lamps in your car. I had upgraded the bulbs in two of my previous cars and both times the front of the headlamps started yellowing. In fact, I had to change the headlamp assys on

Speedmunster,in your case I thing you must have been done a lot of night/highway drive,as a result the glasses turned yellow.
I have been using 90/100 in my ritzy for last 2.5yrs and no issues with headlamps till now
But I agree, if they are used for a long period of time there will be effect.
So I will advise funkyp if you plan to do a lot highway or night drive then 90/100 will definitely hamper the headlamps, otherwise you will love the way those lights will help while driving.

One more point a pair of Maruti headlamps will cost around 4k so if you need to replace the headlamps ,just in case, that should not be a huge amount to pay compared to amount we spend if we go for HID or aux lamps.
Hope it helps
Cheers

Last edited by Schoudhury : 31st October 2012 at 20:32.
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 20:02   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmunster

Dear funkyp, whatever you do, do not put 100/90 or 110/100 lamps in your car. I had upgraded the bulbs in two of my previous cars and both times the front of the headlamps started yellowing. In fact, I had to change the headlamp assys on my innova due to this. Try adding Hella/Lightforce/other cheaper foglamps for your highway jaunts.

Wipers: Bosch are the best in the business and they hardly cost around Rs.310. Try to get that changed immediately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury

Speedmunster,in your case I thing you must have been done a lot of night/highway drive,as a result the glasses turned yellow.
I have been using 90/100 in my ritzy for last 2.5yrs and no issues with headlamps till now
But I agree, if they are used for a long period of time there will be effect.
So I will advise funkyp if you plan to do a lot highway or night drive then 90/100 will definitely hamper the headlamps, otherwise you will love the way those lights will help while driving.

One more point a pair of Maruti headlamps will cost around 4k so if you need to replace the headlamps ,just in case, that should not be a huge amount to pay compared to amount we spend if we go for HID or aux lamps.
Hope it helps
Cheers
Thanks guys. I do not do much of highway driving but didn't want to alter the car stock setup by using relays et al. Also didn't wanna be on the wrong side of law.

Switched to Philips extreme vision and happy with the light improvement.

Wipers will get Bosch at the start of the next monsoons
Old 3rd November 2012, 13:15   #28
Senior - BHPian

Our Maruti Swift ZDi. Now, Pete'd

I got the blue box installed at Pete's shop at Ernakulam today.

I was waiting for 3 oil changes and wanted to get the box installed at the Ernakulam shop after 10,000 KM. But I couldn't take time out and it got delayed till today.

Also got the Green's cotton filter for the stock air box from them.

Initial impressions: The engine is very eager to rev and the rpm climbs much faster. The drivability has improved a lot. The car now happily chugs along in 2nd gear without lugging. I didn't drive outside the city limits but it feels like the acceleration in 3rd has gone up a notch.

However, the engine has become a bit noisy and I think the car took a few more cranks to start after fitting the box. Have planned a drive on the open roads tomorrow. Will post the pictures of the install in a while.

Quote:
Switched to Philips extreme vision and happy with the light improvement.
Good to know that. If possible, I want to put them in the fog lamps.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 14:08   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn
I got the blue box installed at Pete's shop at Ernakulam today.
Congrats. Please do put a proper review after your run. Guess you will start feeling the actual difference after a day of fitting / 5-6 cranks.

How much did it cost you?
Old 3rd November 2012, 14:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

re: Our Maruti Swift ZDi, 1 Year & 20,000 KM Review

Ever wondered what inside the blue box? Its more or less empty.
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-p1040725.jpg

The connectors fitted to the rail.
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-p1040727.jpg

Getting the dirty air filter out. The Odo reads 17400 now.
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-p1040729.jpg

Kungipalu waiting for the Power and Torque gains at the shop.
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-p1040731.jpg

The Green cotton air filter.
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-p1040735.jpg

The old and the new.
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-p1040738.jpg

Forgot to flip the Green one before the snap.
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-p1040736.jpg

All in. The PSI box is inside that bubble wrap alongside the battery.
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-p1040740.jpg

The warning sticker to stop anyone from throwing the filter out. I certainly hope so as it costs a whopping 4.2K. I need to get it cleaned every 5000KM.
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-p1040743.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Congrats. Please do put a proper review after your run. Guess you will start feeling the actual difference after a day of fitting / 5-6 cranks.

How much did it cost you?
Thanks! The box was a gift from a dear friend.

Last edited by deetjohn : 3rd November 2012 at 14:26. Reason: Adding text.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks