Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2013, 14:52   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: Tizze Lands Home: The Fiat Linea T-Jet 2013 EDIT: Sold!

Media player fine till now but the real test will be on the weekend once the car has not been put on for upwards of 15 hours. But i have to say there is a massive difference in the speed with which a proper player vs a USB stick interacts with the car , for my player it used to take about 20 seconds for the media player to be detected and songs to start playing after switching on the car - with the USB this is probably at 5 seconds.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 11:03   #167
Senior - BHPian

Happy to report that the media player passed the weekend test. On both Saturday and Sunday the car was off for a period of over 15 hours but each time the media player came online within a few seconds , clearly the change from an MP3 player to a simple USB drive has done the trick.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 15:31   #168
Senior - BHPian

Shoe Polishing Day

This weekend i decided to give the tyres a good scrub which they have not got pretty much since i had made by Himachal road trip sometime ago.

I know there are tons of discussions here on how tyres should be cleaned or can be cleaned and i am sure my methods reflect those but this is the way i have done it pretty much all the time.

Before the cleaning process

Step 1 : Water and Foam , rigorous rubbing to get as much dust and particulates off as i could

Step 2 : Post letting them dry i use a combination of shampoo and diluted Tyre Cleaner and rub and scrub till the arms are ready to fall off again

This is what the tyre now looks like post the above steps. Starting to shine up but not done yet

Final Step : After letting them dry off post step 2 i now spray on a a concentrated tyre cleaner and shiner and this is what the final result is.

If you look at the top part and the "bluish" tinge - thats actually the sky reflecting off the tyre - look a bit closer and you can see the clouds as well

At this point i clean up the alloys as well and one can make out the difference from this picture and the ones prior - but this alloy cleaning was simply by the way - i take out additional time for the Alloys and they can take 20-30 minutes on their own - but for this i simply gave them a good rub down and not other treatment

What the tyre looks like after about 10 days - i dont stress too much over the glossy shine , in Delhi its not possible to maintain it - a few days on the road and there is enough dust to erase the shine - what i end up with , and am happy with is a rich deep dark look which the tyre still has - this will stay this was for another week or so and then i would typically do it again. So life span post 1 wash is about 2.5 weeks. The image is not entirely true to the "degree" of black that is still on the tyre - this was taken with mobile phone hence low on quality.

Last edited by puchoo : 11th September 2013 at 15:32.
puchoo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 11:38   #169
Senior - BHPian

Mileage Update for those it helps - figures from last week , total distance about 20 Kms each day , medium to heavy traffic with 3-4 traffic lights

Monday : 9.8
Tuesday : 9.2
Wednesday :7.6
Thursday : 10.5
Friday : 10.3
puchoo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 11:47   #170
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Do you put fuel at the same place ? Have you switched and checked the Mileage ? Though this looks fine for a hot sedan (!!), Wednesday seems to have been a lousy day for you.
Old 16th September 2013, 12:56   #171
Senior - BHPian

Fuel filled at the same outlet all the time unless one is doing highway trips. I have got upto 16 KMPL with this car as well so i am not worried about the quality of the fuel.

Wednesday was bad because i got stuck in a jam - just before i hit the Jam i was at about 12 KMPL and post that this is what i ended up with. Sitting with a T-Jet in a jam and looking at the MID is simply scary

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Do you put fuel at the same place ? Have you switched and checked the Mileage ? Though this looks fine for a hot sedan (!!), Wednesday seems to have been a lousy day for you.
Old 16th September 2013, 18:10   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Sitting with a T-Jet in a jam and looking at the MID is simply scary
Ain't that the truth!
Old 18th September 2013, 11:15   #173
Senior - BHPian

The other thing which really drops the mileage is the warming up period. The car idles at about 1200-1300 for about 30-45 seconds and during this time the mileage can drop massively - by as much as 1-1.2 KMPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Ain't that the truth!
Old 18th September 2013, 14:34   #174
BHPian

I guess that's why the manual recommends to start driving (slowly) as soon as the engine is started. The engine runs at higher RPM when started cold, then drops to about 850 - 900 after ~ 30-45 seconds. I wait till then, can't bring myself to shift out of neutral at the higher idle speed.
Old 18th September 2013, 16:10   #175
Senior - BHPian

I prefer not driving at all till the engine RPM comes back to normal , dont mind waiting 40 odd seconds for it to warm up and temperatures to start moving towards optimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
I guess that's why the manual recommends to start driving (slowly) as soon as the engine is started. The engine runs at higher RPM when started cold, then drops to about 850 - 900 after ~ 30-45 seconds. I wait till then, can't bring myself to shift out of neutral at the higher idle speed.
Old 18th September 2013, 16:27   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I prefer not driving at all till the engine RPM comes back to normal , dont mind waiting 40 odd seconds for it to warm up and temperatures to start moving towards optimal.
I've mentioned this several times, in a couple of other threads when the subject of idling has been discussed. Your engine warms up faster when you get the car moving than make it idle. A cold engine consumes more fuel than a warm engine. Bringing the engine to optimum operating temperature takes place faster when you get going than idling the engine. Driving off from crank is also a sure way to get more miles for your fuel than just burning it away. Its wasted energy. We're talking modern engines now. Taking the rpm up to 2000 is not going to cause any harm to your cold engine or turbo.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 18:36   #177
BHPian

I will try, Sandeep, I will try!
Old 20th September 2013, 12:31   #178
Senior - BHPian

Old habits , on the way back from office its simply not possible to really drive off because i need to take an incline which pushes the car in 1st gear to about 2800-3000 RPM.

I guess on the way to office one does not need to wait , but by the time i settle down into the car anyway its about 20-25 seconds gone , so its just a question of waiting a little more which i do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I've mentioned this several times, in a couple of other threads when the subject of idling has been discussed. Your engine warms up faster when you get the car moving than make it idle. A cold engine consumes more fuel than a warm engine. Bringing the engine to optimum operating temperature takes place faster when you get going than idling the engine. Driving off from crank is also a sure way to get more miles for your fuel than just burning it away. Its wasted energy. We're talking modern engines now. Taking the rpm up to 2000 is not going to cause any harm to your cold engine or turbo.
Old 20th September 2013, 12:38   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Old habits , on the way back from office its simply not possible to really drive off because i need to take an incline which pushes the car in 1st gear to about 2800-3000 RPM.
Probably the one we encounter while coming out of basement in office parking.
I come across them daily,i simply pull them off in 1st or 2nd gear without any throttle inputs in the Linea MJD,T-Jet has similar torque should be able to pull it off easily,just make sure you do not have a impatient driver behind your car
Old 20th September 2013, 14:51   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Probably the one we encounter while coming out of basement in office parking.
I come across them daily,i simply pull them off in 1st or 2nd gear without any throttle inputs in the Linea MJD,T-Jet has similar torque should be able to pull it off easily,just make sure you do not have a impatient driver behind your car
Nope. My previous car was a Baleno, a normally aspirated petrol. It behaved like a diesel in first and reverse; I could pop out the clutch and not give any throttle input (right foot modulating the brake) and she'd just putter along. I'm so used to that, I stalled my new T-Jet multiple times in the early days of ownership. O, the embarrassment of stalling in traffic! The T-Jet needs a firm foot on the accelerator when starting off. At least mine does.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks